Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1544227 times
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 684 posts | 91 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #8050: May 23, 2016 05:01:36 pm
      Some interesting posts about Leicester and lack of Europe, a good read whilst waiting to board a flight.

I think we missed a fantastic opportunity under Jürgen this season.  Don't think much has been mentioned about our away fixtures at start of the season. We came through it relatively unscathed. Only one defeat to ManU. Once we'd beaten Citeh 4-1 we had the best chance for years to win the league, in fact it was a straight home run with all the big guns having to come to Anfield.  What killed us was those diabolical performances against Newcastle and Watford.  Hopefully Jürgen will learn from this for next season.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #8051: May 23, 2016 05:12:50 pm
      He had more scope in what sense? Jürgen could put Stevie in the 10 role if he wanted, you're seriously trying to suggest that in Jürgen's system there's no place for a Steven Gerrard yet there was in Rafa's?

You've lost the plot if you've convinced yourself of that one HB.

We're talking about Gerrard in his prime not the last 5 years here right? As I see it Gerrard could have played RB, any 3 of the attacking midfield positions and the more creative role in central midfield. I agree that Gerrard didn't have the greatest tactical awareness and also wasn't disciplined enough for his position but the positives massively outweighed the negatives to the point that even someone who demanded perfection from his players would adapt to accommodate a Gerrard.

You're over egging this one HB, to the point I'm hoping you're yolking  :f_tongueincheek:

For a start you can forget RB - if you seriously think Stevie would stay at the club playing as a RB you have seriously lost the plot.

Central midfield, Klopp has played a defensive midfielder who has the intelligence to run box-to-box (gundogan) to run the team. Can could develop into this player - gerrard didn't have the positional or game intelligence to do it in the league (which is why Rafa moved him). Next to him a player prepared to press, harry, tackle and keep things ticking over (bender) was usually employed - again quick passing required rather than Stevie's Roy-of-the Rovers style.

There is no "classical 10" role in Klopps system - the three forwards interchange, press, tackle, pass-and-move quickly and don't retain the ball for very long. Gerrard is not that player.

Klopp is very exacting in his requirements for each position and ruthless enough to chop any player not fitting in - regardless of his local status.

For all the moaning on here, Brendan was actually very tactically flexible and did his best to shoehorn Stevie in.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,451 posts | 8657 
      Reply #8052: May 23, 2016 05:17:08 pm
      For a start you can forget RB - if you seriously think Stevie would stay at the club playing as a RB you have seriously lost the plot.

Don't think he was making that point, think he was simply saying he could play there, like when he played there once or twice under Houllier, most notably when he did a superb job on Idan Tal in the derby at Anfield and ended up playing there in Istanbul when we got it back to 3-3 and were under the cosh and Finnan not on the pitch!

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8053: May 23, 2016 05:22:48 pm

I was saying he 'could' player there and for a boyhood fan I think you underestimate just how far Stevie would have gone to stay here, I certainly wouldn't underestimate his loyalty.

Central midfield, Klopp has played a defensive midfielder who has the intelligence to run box-to-box (gundogan) to run the team. Can could develop into this player - gerrard didn't have the positional or game intelligence to do it in the league (which is why Rafa moved him). Next to him a player prepared to press, harry, tackle and keep things ticking over (bender) was usually employed - again quick passing required rather than Stevie's Roy-of-the Rovers style.

Where is this idea that Stevie can't pass quickly come from, did you watch him and Torres play together he was always the one quickening the tempo in our midfield.

There is no "classical 10" role in Klopps system - the three forwards interchange, press, tackle, pass-and-move quickly and don't retain the ball for very long. Gerrard is not that player.

Again you're massively under selling Gerrard here to what end I'm not sure. Gerrard could interchange those positions quite easily, highlighted by the fact he had a wonderful season out wide, he played in behind Torres and was very successful and also played brilliantly from the DLPM role under Brendan. Just how versatile do you want him to be and still not get in the side. Not a chance, I think Klopp would have loved him as would any manager in world football.

Just look how Mourinho coveted him, another manager who is as strict as they come when it comes to positional awareness.

I was not Gerrard's biggest fan but this is seriously way off the mark HB.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #8054: May 23, 2016 05:35:23 pm
      I was saying he 'could' player there and for a boyhood fan I think you underestimate just how far Stevie would have gone to stay here, I certainly wouldn't underestimate his loyalty.

he texted Mourinho to say he was joing him then changed his mind - and that was playing in midfield.

Where is this idea that Stevie can't pass quickly come from, did you watch him and Torres play together he was always the one quickening the tempo in our midfield.

He's not a pass-and-move player in the mould that Klopp uses. he prefers holding onto the ball and hitting long passes - yes he COULD play in a different way if he wanted but its not his natural game.

Again you're massively under selling Gerrard here to what end I'm not sure. Gerrard could interchange those positions quite easily, highlighted by the fact he had a wonderful season out wide, he played in behind Torres and was very successful and also played brilliantly from the DLPM role under Brendan. Just how versatile do you want him to be and still not get in the side. Not a chance, I think Klopp would have loved him as would any manager in world football.

He played in the DLPM role because he was forced to - his discipline improved as he didn'r have the physical attributes any more but he wasn't "brilliant" - his mobility meant we were weak through the middle.

Just because a player is talented doesn't mean he will fit in a system. Mourinho wanting him is completely irrelevant since he plays an entirely different type of game!

Anyway - it's speculation - and had Klopp come in it would have been with an ageing Stevie anyway - i nmy opnion he would have got the chop relatively early. Certainly, he would have had trouble surviving triple session training regimes.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8055: May 23, 2016 05:38:06 pm
      He had more scope in what sense? Jürgen could put Stevie in the 10 role if he wanted, you're seriously trying to suggest that in Jürgen's system there's no place for a Steven Gerrard yet there was in Rafa's?

You've lost the plot if you've convinced yourself of that one HB.

We're talking about Gerrard in his prime not the last 5 years here right? As I see it Gerrard could have played RB, any 3 of the attacking midfield positions and the more creative role in central midfield. I agree that Gerrard didn't have the greatest tactical awareness and also wasn't disciplined enough for his position but the positives massively outweighed the negatives to the point that even someone who demanded perfection from his players would adapt to accommodate a Gerrard.

You're over egging this one HB, to the point I'm hoping you're yolking  :f_tongueincheek:

Very true. In his prime Gerrard was unreal at right back as well as obviously ridiculous in midfield, in any position in it. He looked pretty tasty at right wing for a season scoring every week, and then looked like the best number 10 in the World playing behind Torres. I never saw him play centre half but always had a hunch he would have been top there too, but my suspicion is that at either left back or in goal we could have found better options.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #8056: May 23, 2016 05:40:34 pm
      not sure how many long balls Stevie played when he played with Torres. Steven Gerrard could play anywhere and with anyone and improve the team. Klopp would have loved him.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8057: May 23, 2016 05:41:47 pm
      he texted Mourinho to say he was joing him then changed his mind - and that was playing in midfield.

No matter how close he got to leaving he still stayed, to me that's still loyal.

He's not a pass-and-move player in the mould that Klopp uses. he prefers holding onto the ball and hitting long passes - yes he COULD play in a different way if he wanted but its not his natural game.

I think you're influenced by how many long balls you've seen him hit in the latter part of his career. Early on I don't remember him spraying them around nearly as much, even still when he did hit them longer he was one of the absolute best long ball passers in the game. The point being he could play quicker when needed and I think you're wrong here but happy to agree to disagree.

He played in the DLPM role because he was forced to - his discipline improved as he didn'r have the physical attributes any more but he wasn't "brilliant" - his mobility meant we were weak through the middle.

I argued against him being played there and he proved me wrong, it's that simple really. I thought the positives we got from Gerrard playing there far outweighed the weaknesses he exposed. Considering his age and the time of transition I thought it was brilliant but each to their own.

Just because a player is talented doesn't mean he will fit in a system. Mourinho wanting him is completely irrelevant since he plays an entirely different type of game!

No I was highlighting how another manager, who could pretty much have his pick of any player in the world coveted Gerrard so highly and that manager also demanded positional awareness and tactical intelligence from his players, something you seem suggesting is the reason Klopp wouldn't want him (along with the quick passing).

Anyway - it's speculation - and had Klopp come in it would have been with an ageing Stevie anyway - i nmy opnion he would have got the chop relatively early. Certainly, he would have had trouble surviving triple session training regimes.

I'll go as far as to say I don't think Klopp would have played him nearly as much as Brendan did and most likely would have left a couple of years earlier if Klopp joined when Brendan did, any further than that and we'll have to agree to disagree HB.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #8058: May 23, 2016 05:42:05 pm
      Yes because Klopp only know how to play one way, what a limited manager.
      We should have employed the forum idiot who seems to know more than Klopp on everything football related.

BTW Gundogan is no DM.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8059: May 23, 2016 05:46:06 pm
      not sure how many long balls Stevie played when he played with Torres. Steven Gerrard could play anywhere and with anyone and improve the team. Klopp would have loved him.

I'm literally amazed we're even debating it mate. If we had had Gerrard in his prime last season I seriously think we would have gone very very close to winning the league, and I'd be absolutely expecting a title challenge next season as well. He was absolutely GUARANTEED goals and assists from midfield, as well as a certainty to provide crunching tackles, pinpoint passing and burning desire for the shirt. Does anyone seriously think Jamie Vardy would win the player of the year in the Premiership if Gerrard was still around in his prime?

If you look at todays football and all the money Real Madrid paid for Gareth Bale and how much he'd cost if he came back, Gerrard would have a far bigger impact if he were still in his pomp. He was literally like a midfield Luis Suarez, the difference between winning games and drawing them, again and again and again.

Klopp wouldn't accommodate him? I can't believe people think that, really i can't.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8060: May 23, 2016 05:48:22 pm
      I'm literally amazed we're even debating it mate. If we had had Gerrard in his prime last season I seriously think we would have gone very very close to winning the league, and I'd be absolutely expecting a title challenge next season as well. He was absolutely GUARANTEED goals and assists from midfield, as well as a certainty to provide crunching tackles, pinpoint passing and burning desire for the shirt. Does anyone seriously think Jamie Vardy would win the player of the year in the Premiership if Gerrard was still around in his prime?

If you look at todays football and all the money Real Madrid paid for Gareth Bale and how much he'd cost if he came back, Gerrard would have a far bigger impact if he were still in his pomp. He was literally like a midfield Luis Suarez, the difference between winning games and drawing them, again and again and again.

Klopp wouldn't accommodate him? I can't believe people think that, really i can't.

Agreed Mick, I'd put him one notch below Suarez but there's not much difference and Suarez is the best player I've ever seen.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8061: May 23, 2016 05:54:23 pm
      So who's using who to win this argument then? 

Using Stevie to criticise Jürgen or using Jürgen to criticise Stevie. 

I'm sure every Liverpool manager we've ever had, winner or otherwise would have loved to have a Stevie in the team, to argue otherwise is just plain stupid. 

And who gives a F**k if Jose was sending him love letters via text - he didn't leave.

This trying to twist and/or rewrite history just to get one up on fellow fans is beyond the pale, it's becoming unbearable in this place  :mad:
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #8062: May 23, 2016 05:58:44 pm
      So who's using who to win this argument then? 

Using Stevie to criticise Jürgen or using Jürgen to criticise Stevie. 

I'm sure every Liverpool manager we've ever had, winner or otherwise would have loved to have a Stevie in the team, to argue otherwise is just plain stupid. 

And who gives a f**k if Jose was sending him love letters via text - he didn't leave.

This trying to twist and/or rewrite history just to get one up on fellow fans is beyond the pale, it's becoming unbearable in this place  :mad:

but the same dark forces continue to post their weasel words.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8063: May 23, 2016 06:01:25 pm
      Agreed Mick, I'd put him one notch below Suarez but there's not much difference and Suarez is the best player I've ever seen.

Suarez is the best I ever saw too. Ridiculous player.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8064: May 23, 2016 06:02:25 pm
      but the same dark forces continue to post their weasel words.

Thankfully I've had him and a couple of others on ignore for a while mate so the only time I have to read the sh*te they spout is when someone else quotes them.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #8065: May 23, 2016 06:02:35 pm

not a patch on Rushie nobody ever will be.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #8066: May 23, 2016 06:05:03 pm

The King.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8067: May 23, 2016 06:07:48 pm

I saw Rushie and the King live many times mate and they were both brilliant, as was Sounness and a few others. Suarez though for me was the best player we ever had, albeit over a painfully short period.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #8068: May 23, 2016 06:18:16 pm
      I saw Rushie and the King live many times mate and they were both brilliant, as was Sounness and a few others. Suarez though for me was the best player we ever had, albeit over a painfully short period.

We've had many great players Mick as you say but likewise Luis is the best I've seen.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8069: May 23, 2016 07:11:08 pm

Suarez always reminded me of a slightly better version of Keegan. Both sadly left Liverpool as they were reaching their peak, Kenny arrived just as he was reaching his.

I would probably go with Kenny as the best player while at Liverpool, but I think Suarez has gone on to be a better player, but not while he was at Liverpool. (if that makes any sense?)

I change my mind with the wind on who are best player ever is, but more often than not I stop when I reach Kenny's name. 
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #8070: May 23, 2016 07:29:09 pm
      Some interesting posts about Leicester and lack of Europe, a good read whilst waiting to board a flight.

Shameless boast :)

At least it's sunny here.... on The Wirral :(
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8071: May 23, 2016 09:38:04 pm
      Steven Gerrard in his prime would have walked into any team with any manager. There's not many systems in football or managers in football that can't accommodate a midfield player who scores 20 goals a season.

A leader, goalscorer, and something we miss now imo is that he really got stuck in.
      Damn, starting to reminisce again now  :sadlook:
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #8072: May 23, 2016 10:26:20 pm
      Could have sworn I clicked into the Klopp thread ah well ,
      As for Stevie at his peak unstoppable , to suggest a top manager couldn't utilise a player like him in his prime is fckin ludicrous and I believe a wind up .

Quick Reply