Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1550232 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #9982: Sep 27, 2016 01:30:10 am
      Maybe its just me, but why do I have this unsettling feeling about Klopp revealing his mind on how Liverpool play, and his reasons for why he makes the choices he does. I like Carragher, I do, but maybe, just maybe Klopp should have said, "Feck off Jamie, we are on a good run, why would you make me tell everyone and their wife why I do it?"

I am uneasy here.

I don't have a clue as to what the problem is. As marz said some people seriously need to chill out. These 'secrets' that he's pouring over are on display every week and analysed from all different angles by the hundreds of scouts and video analysts that are employed across opposition clubs. Football is as public a game as anything. He's hardly revealing state secrets and the nuclear code ffs.

It's as much about motivation and the options and abilities of the players you have around you than anything. Football punditry in this country must be in a really really bad state if all it takes is for someone to elegantly describe moments in a match to equate it as something of an 'intellectual' leak that will stop us in our tracks once and for all. I hardly think that come the end of Klopp's career he'll look back and think 'Well me going on MNF really was the moment my career imploded'.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9983: Sep 27, 2016 01:47:29 am
      Seriously, people need to chill out about him going on TV and talking about our game. If Klopp isn't uneasy then why are you? He knows what he's doing, he knows what he's saying and what he isn't saying. Teams will already know a vast majority - if not all - of what he said on TV and I highly doubt the likes of Mourinho, Wenger & Guardiola are sat at home with their pen and paper quickly scribbling down notes from what Klopp said :D. It's not as though they need to, they already know all of what got mentioned.

To be fair Woy will be using what Jürgen said word for word at his next job interview. :)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #9984: Sep 27, 2016 08:46:09 am
      To be fair Woy will be using what Jürgen said word for word at his next job interview. :)

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #9985: Sep 27, 2016 09:12:33 am

There's a link on the previous page - think that's just the second half of it.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #9986: Sep 27, 2016 10:18:37 am
      Dunno whether this has been posted but here's an article I found on The Express.

Sounds like it's horrible to play against us haha

CURTIS DAVIES ON PLAYING THE REDS

“When you play against a Liverpool team that is vibrant, exciting and enjoying itself it is tough,” said the centre-half.

“They are a side which literally plays with (Jordan) Henderson and the two centre-halves at the back and the rest can go where-ever they want. 

“That is not ill-discipline, it’s organised. The inter-changing, the good football, the passing - they are a very, very tough team to deal with when they are on their game.

“It is hard to lay a glove on anyone, put it that way. When there is so much inter-changing you cannot put your mark on one person.

“It is tough to try and get in and try and make a tackle which makes them think again because literally one second Mane will be in that hole, then Lallana and then Coutinho.

“With the full backs playing like wingers it becomes very difficult because you end up with backs against the wall.”   

“Last week against Arsenal, we had 10 men but it was a different performance,” he said.

“We were good. We kept hold of the ball but Liverpool, with their pressing game, they weren’t going to be satisfied with 3-0.

“They weren’t satisfied with 4-0 or scoring five. They wanted six, seven, eight and that is the difference. Arsenal were like, ‘We will sit, we will let them have the ball and then we will have it for another five minutes’.

“But Liverpool didn’t give you a chance to breathe to be honest.

“Arsenal are a very good passing team, but a lot of their stuff is on front of you. Nice little passes.

“Liverpool have that mix of nice little passes and then people who will run and run at you and beat you as well. Like Mane. Like Coutinho.

“They will open the game up just on their own by making runs and beating people. It is very difficult to take.

“When we went down to 10 men then, if I am being honest, as a Liverpool I would be thinking, ‘We can give them a hiding. Let’s be ruthless.’

“And they were ruthless.”
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #9987: Sep 27, 2016 11:41:27 am
      Dunno whether this has been posted but here's an article I found on The Express.

I'll admit it.

That was arousing.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #9988: Sep 27, 2016 11:49:53 am
      I'll admit it.

That was arousing.

Haha tell me about it. Just think what's going to be running through his mind in the reverse fixture.

He will be defeated before he gets off the bus.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #9989: Sep 27, 2016 01:31:35 pm
      « Last Edit: Sep 27, 2016 02:53:21 pm by HScRed1 »
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,545 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #9990: Sep 27, 2016 04:07:45 pm
      Maybe its just me, but why do I have this unsettling feeling about Klopp revealing his mind on how Liverpool play, and his reasons for why he makes the choices he does. I like Carragher, I do, but maybe, just maybe Klopp should have said, "Feck off Jamie, we are on a good run, why would you make me tell everyone and their wife why I do it?"

I am uneasy here.
      Same here. Our best start in 8 years and we go on national T.V telling millions about our philosophy and reason for doing this that and the other.

Other managers might have watched our videos, and might have a good understanding of what they think Klopp is about. The difference now, is that for certain aspects of our approach to a game, they don't think, they now know what Klopp is about. Anyone thinking any manager worth his salt hasn't learned something from that, well I think they're mistaken.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #9991: Sep 27, 2016 04:12:49 pm
      Same here. Our best start in 8 years and we go on national T.V telling millions about our philosophy and reason for doing this that and the other.

Other managers might have watched our videos, and might have a good understanding of what they think Klopp is about. The difference now, is that for certain aspects of our approach to a game, they don't think, they now know.

OK so put yourself in the position of an opposition manager, what would you have learnt that you didn't already know from what Klopp said?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #9992: Sep 27, 2016 04:25:07 pm
      OK so put yourself in the position of an opposition manager, what would you have learnt that you didn't already know from what Klopp said?

Wenger, Shitcoat and Pep are still busy reading through all the notes they scribbled last night!

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,545 posts | 1544 
      Reply #9993: Sep 27, 2016 04:27:50 pm
      Clarified we are not a pressing team we are a possession team. This can change the way opposition managers approach us from now on

They lost to Burnley because there was not enough movement in the final third, but against Hull they got that right and it gave them more options. Managers will file that one for later for sure.

"Set pieces is a weakness for us". Yes we know it is, but when the manager comes out and says it, it cements it, makes it official, makes it a 'thing' for opposition managers to think about.

"We don't have the physical quality for set-piece defending." Again, it's not so much something new but when an opposition manager admits to having a weakness, then you can take that to the bank if you're an opposition manager.

"Counter-pressing lets you win back the ball nearer to the goal. It’s only one pass away from a really good opportunity. No playmaker in the world can be as good as a good counter pressing situation. That shows why it’s so important." So we now know that Klopp is going to implement counter pressing in most every match we play. Managers can adapt to this.

"Our No 9 and No 10 split the pitch for us. They close the gaps on a specific side and don't allow the opposition No 6 to play an easy ball."

Contrast the above to Bob Paisley who said “When you’re in a fog you stick together - that way you don’t get lost. If there’s a secret to us, that’s it.”

Ok it's nothing drastic, but why give the opposition ANYTHING to go on? Give them nothing because they'll be looking to take anything from us.

Don't make it easy for them
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #9994: Sep 27, 2016 04:36:37 pm

Then what was the point of him going on that show and talk for an hour if there was nothing new to be heard?
      And people are kidding themselves if they think rival managers haven`t learned nothing new about Liverpool`s tacticts when watching the show.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #9995: Sep 27, 2016 04:39:55 pm
      If they have learned anything new, lucky them. We're still too good that they won't be able to stop us. And if they change the way they play to adapt playing Liverpool then all the F***ing better. For far too long we've been changing our style to counter the opposition, about F***ing them that it was the other way round.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9996: Sep 27, 2016 04:47:06 pm
      How do you counter it ?

Man mark the 8 playing in the opposition half ?, Have players dragged out of position left right and center ?

By applying the same tactic ? have players fatiguing around the 60 minute mark as they are not accustomed to it nor in the physical condition to sustain it ?

Two banks of 4 and sit deep?.. Chelsea ?, Hull ?

Its a tricky one for opposition managers with players interchanging positions etc, regardless of what they know.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9997: Sep 27, 2016 04:52:03 pm
      If a premier league manager needed to watch that to understand anything about our game then he's in the wrong profession, it's really that simple.

It was entertaining, it was fun and it was certainly interesting to listen to him but honestly he said nothing that we didn't already know.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #9998: Sep 27, 2016 04:59:08 pm

"Set pieces is a weakness for us". Yes we know it is, but when the manager comes out and says it, it cements it, makes it official, makes it a 'thing' for opposition managers to think about. No sh*t

"We don't have the physical quality for set-piece defending." Again, it's not so much something new but when an opposition manager admits to having a weakness, then you can take that to the bank if you're an opposition manager. No sh*t

"Counter-pressing lets you win back the ball nearer to the goal. It’s only one pass away from a really good opportunity. No playmaker in the world can be as good as a good counter pressing situation. That shows why it’s so important." So we now know that Klopp is going to implement counter pressing in most every match we play. Managers can adapt to this. No sh*t

"Our No 9 and No 10 split the pitch for us. They close the gaps on a specific side and don't allow the opposition No 6 to play an easy ball."

Contrast the above to Bob Paisley who said “When you’re in a fog you stick together - that way you don’t get lost. If there’s a secret to us, that’s it.”

Ok it's nothing drastic, but why give the opposition ANYTHING to go on? Give them nothing because they'll be looking to take anything from us. No sh*t

Edited.

It's not about how we play, it's how you stop us.

You don't think teams know that we're going to do a high press in almost every game and look to gain possession in the final third and create a goal scoring opportunity? Of course they do. Hull knew it, Chelsea knew it, Arsenal knew it and Leicester knew it.

Could they stop us? Could they F**k!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9999: Sep 27, 2016 05:03:01 pm
      If a premier league manager needed to watch that to understand anything about our game then he's in the wrong profession, it's really that simple.

It was entertaining, it was fun and it was certainly interesting to listen to him but honestly he said nothing that we didn't already know.

Exactamundo.

Except fat Sam, but I doubt he was watching.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10000: Sep 27, 2016 05:17:21 pm
      Clarified we are not a pressing team we are a possession team. This can change the way opposition managers approach us from now on

They lost to Burnley because there was not enough movement in the final third, but against Hull they got that right and it gave them more options. Managers will file that one for later for sure.

"Set pieces is a weakness for us". Yes we know it is, but when the manager comes out and says it, it cements it, makes it official, makes it a 'thing' for opposition managers to think about.

"We don't have the physical quality for set-piece defending." Again, it's not so much something new but when an opposition manager admits to having a weakness, then you can take that to the bank if you're an opposition manager.

"Counter-pressing lets you win back the ball nearer to the goal. It’s only one pass away from a really good opportunity. No playmaker in the world can be as good as a good counter pressing situation. That shows why it’s so important." So we now know that Klopp is going to implement counter pressing in most every match we play. Managers can adapt to this.

Ok it's nothing drastic, but why give the opposition ANYTHING to go on? Give them nothing because they'll be looking to take anything from us.

All of that is known to hundreds of thousands of footy fans who've followed his career and the bits pertinent to us (the set piece stuff) has been known to all LFC fans and most of the PL clubs fans for years, so he's hardly divulging state secrets.

As others have said, it's all well and good knowing what we do, it's a much harder thing working out how to stop us.

Maybe it's because most pundits/commentators/presenters haven't a F***ing clue what we do that makes what he's said more in depth but that's why they're pundits/commentators/presenters rather than top coaches   ;)
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #10001: Sep 27, 2016 05:18:08 pm
      Find some real consistency, it will be the Reds giving Man City, a run for their money. The Premiership title race has only just started !
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #10002: Sep 27, 2016 05:23:47 pm
      Only problem I see regarding Jürgen revealing "all our secrets :)" is if we do F**k up in our next few games Jürgen will be under fire in the media as the manager that "told other clubs how to beat us and cost us the league."

Win our next few games and it will be forgotten, worst you can say imo is that it could be another very minor media bullshit distraction at a time when we don't need any and could add media pressure if things go wrong against Swansea, as they love nothing more than to build people up and then try to knock them down again.

Personally I enjoyed watching it and while I thought it was entertaining I doubt it will have any effect on our season or results. 

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,545 posts | 1544 
      Reply #10003: Sep 27, 2016 05:35:25 pm
      Let your football do the talking
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #10004: Sep 27, 2016 06:13:10 pm
      Let your football do the talking

That's the way it was mate, but times change. Managers can make money out of these things while the clubs encourage them because it raises the profile of the club and attracts commercial investors... especially with an asset like Jürgen.

Quick Reply