Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1534870 times
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,506 posts | 1484 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #10442: Jan 01, 2017 09:47:55 am
      Part 2 of that interview:

Exclusive Jürgen Klopp Q&A - Liverpool boss on final agony, hard toil in USA and getting off to a flyer

Part two of our special three-part conversation with the Reds manager as he speaks to James Pearce about his 2016

By James Pearce

Jürgen Klopp's first 12 months - May
      Get Liverpool FC updates directly to your inbox

It was a devastating end to a thrilling European adventure.

After memorable wins over Manchester United, Borussia Dortmund and Villarreal, Sevilla proved a step too far for Liverpool.

Liverpool’s hopes of lifting a first European trophy for 11 years and securing the golden ticket to the Champions League lay in ruins.

Jürgen Klopp reflects on that night and much more in the second of James Pearce’s three-part exclusive interview with the Liverpool boss looking back on an eventful 2016. He also gives his verdict on Euro 2016, his first pre-season tour with Liverpool and the club’s flying start to the new Premier League campaign.

MAY

JK : We can speak about finals and say we lost, absolutely right.

The problem is we were much the better team in the first half. We scored a second goal which was disallowed for offside.

JP : There was a big penalty shout for handball too. Then things quickly unravelled in the second half...

JK : Yeah, no penalty, disallowed goal, all that stuff but still 1-0 up.

You don’t always have everything in your hands. You need to be lucky in a few moments. It’s not that you can play badly and still win.

We were really good in that first half but obviously the season was too intense for us to strike back in that second half.

When I think about it, it’s not an excuse for us or something.

Think about how many games we had. It doesn’t make sense that you play the most important game when you already have 500 games in your legs.

To think about it from a FIFA, UEFA or a FA perspective then it absolutely makes sense because we all love the game.

But when I think about 48 teams for a World Cup or a European Championships or whatever the plans are, they forget the players in these plans.

We conceded a goal too early in that second half from a little mistake.
      Jürgen Klopp, manager of Liverpool walks after receiving the runners-up medal

Over the whole season many teams, us included, made bigger mistakes without the opponent scoring the goal.

Sevilla scored in that moment. It was 1-1 and for us it was a shock. You could see it. It was a shock for everybody.

We talk about atmosphere and if anybody in the stands tells me that in that moment they thought ‘and now we’ll come back’, it’s not true because nobody behaved like this.

It was the moment when someone pushed a button and this time the volume went down.

It wasn’t nice. We could have won the game in the first half, but we lost it in the second.

JP : Do you ever look back and think ‘if only I’d done that differently’ to change the outcome of events that night?

JK : For sure I did but only for one or two weeks after. Not any more. It would make no sense. It would be a waste of energy. You can’t change it any more. To make the same mistakes again that we made in that second half is not really likely.

JUNE

JP : England were humiliated by Iceland in the last 16, Germany made it to the semis before losing to France. What did you make of the Euros?

JK : I watched quite a few games, but I wasn’t that involved. I watched all the England games, but not all the Germany games because Emre (Can) didn’t play. I am really interested in how my players are doing, but when they aren’t involved then not so much.

JP : Do you have any aspirations in the future to manage Germany?

JK : It’s not something I think about. It’s not something you can plan one second for. If you have a job, like I’ve always had, then you cannot be an option. I don’t believe that you can do two jobs.

If you don’t have a job then maybe there’s a reason for that. You might not be very good any more! If that’s the case then the German national team probably won’t ask you.

I don’t think about it. I like the intensity of the week in, week out, challenges.

In this moment I would not be a good international manager because I’d have absolutely no idea what to do with all the time between the games. I don’t play golf so no idea.

For sure it wasn’t nice for Germany to go out like they did but in France, against France, it’s possible.

JP : By the time Germany went out, England had long since returned home. Who do England always fail at major tournaments? Is the lack of a winter break really that important?

JK : The problem with this is that only English people should actually talk about it. I know you want to hear what I say but if you discuss something just because I said it that’s wrong.

If English people decide that it’s a bit too intense then do something to change it, don’t ask me. I knew before I came here that it would be like this.

You can’t have everything in life. I want to work for 24 hours and have 10 hours sleep – that just doesn’t work.

You have to decide. You want to have football all year round and you want to be in the best shape for the summer when the tournaments come around. You have to think about whether that makes sense or not.

We have to deal with it and deliver. We are really well paid for it but that’s not the thing. The boys always want to play but the question should be whether they always can. That’s different.

JULY

JP : It was your first pre-season with the squad. How important was that time spent on the training field in the States?

JK : I loved it. It was a perfect camp. When I first came in, we didn’t even have training! We just played matches.

The whole pre-season was very important. We could train a lot. I enjoyed the first three weeks before we went to America with a young squad. All the players who were involved in the Euros weren’t here.

We had wonderful games, good performances and that gave us a lot of confidence and a good feeling with the squad before the other boys came back.

Then we started again. The camp was long but it was really perfect circumstances. Important games.

I am used to camps. Everyone had asked me: ‘what can we do on this tour?’ I said: ‘what tour?’

It was really a fight for me. I didn’t want anyone to think for one second that it was a tour, it was a camp. If you are in a camp you can make some tours but you go back to the camp.

That’s what we did. We could have done different things. We could have stayed in Pasadena for three or four days when we played there. But I didn’t want that. I wanted a base so we could leave some players in the camp so they could train. We really used that time.

The target of a camp is always that you go there in one shape and you come back in a better shape. You go there as a good team and you come back as a better team.

That’s why we do things like this. It wasn’t just because of the weather!

There are also a lot of Liverpool fans in the USA so it made sense that we went there. Like it makes sense next year that we will go to Asia. I have no problem with this.

JP : The players all talked about how tough the training regime was in the summer....

JK : The funny thing is we could have done so much more!

I don’t want to do what I can, it’s about doing what you think is right.

Of course we needed to be best prepared we could be for this long season, especially as we don’t have a second pre-season like they do in Germany for example with the winter break.

You have to create a base for a one year so how can it not be intensive?

It was not too intense for sure. Maybe for a few players of course it was because they came back late and then had no time to take it step by step.

It’s like those kind of days where you’ve got a real lot to do and you work really hard. The whole day you’ve been so busy and then when you go home you feel that sense of satisfaction. That’s how a camp should be.

You always think: ‘it’s too much, it’s too much’. But when you come home you think: ‘boy, that was so good’. That’s how it felt with that camp.

AUGUST

JP : That’s a great picture. Sadio Mane riding on your back after putting Liverpool 4-1 up on the opening weekend......

JK : Okay, at that point in the game it was the wrong sign! There was still a long time to play. But it was pretty much a good sign for the whole season.

It was what we felt after the pre-season. We felt we had a good team and we showed it at the Emirates. The half an hour we played after half-time was outstanding.

In the first half we didn’t know exactly where we were. Arsenal are a strong team, playing at home. We wanted to play differently but we couldn’t and they scored.

Then Phil (Coutinho) produced a genius free-kick to bring us back into the game. Then it was like: ‘okay, now we can actually start’.

The football we played at the start of the second half was outstanding. It gave us a lot of confidence and was a real boost for the rest of the season.

It’s not usual that players run towards the coach to celebrate after they’ve scored but with Sadio maybe it was different because he was new. For a new player, in the first few weeks the manager is a really important person. You open the door to everything.

I love how the boys are together in this moment. It’s really good to have that so early in the season. It was nice to see and a good game

Echo

Cheers again WAHS that was a fascinating read & kudos to Pearce also for asking some great questions in that interview,love how forthright & honest our boss is.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #10443: Jan 01, 2017 11:12:03 am
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,660 posts | 489 
      Reply #10444: Jan 02, 2017 07:57:03 am
      When i think back to the first time i posted on this forum , my sole intention was to turn as many Reds fans against Brendan Rodgers and plant a seed for Jürgen Klopp to be his replacement.

Now , while i had no influence whatsoever to what transpired , it seems now that my heart was in the right place. He's great isn't he? Not perfect , but made for our club.

Get in!!!
      You're fu**ed up.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #10445: Jan 02, 2017 10:04:12 am

Turned out rather nicely though from where i'm sitting.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,660 posts | 489 
      Reply #10446: Jan 02, 2017 01:07:02 pm
      Turned out rather nicely though from where i'm sitting.
      Doesn't matter where you are sitting, the fact you can spout sh*t like "plant the seeds" tells more about you rather than "where you are sitting". Acting all smug whilst sitting behind a keyboard must take some massive balls though.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #10447: Jan 02, 2017 01:32:11 pm
      Doesn't matter where you are sitting, the fact you can spout sh*t like "plant the seeds" tells more about you rather than "where you are sitting". Acting all smug whilst sitting behind a keyboard must take some massive balls though.

Look, there really is no need to thank me , it's what i do . On the subject of my massive balls though , i'd prefer it if you didn't flirt with me on the Forum , i get pestered enough by Stuey !!  ( The Bunny Boiler )  and like i've told him , i am a happily married man.

So no more talk of my Huge Massive Balls please .
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10448: Jan 02, 2017 01:49:03 pm
      my sole intention was to turn as many Reds fans against Brendan Rodgers and plant a seed for Jürgen Klopp to be his replacement.

I went a step further, I 'Planted' some brilliant white gnashers in his mouth, a self portrait on his wall and a Porsche Cayenne on his drive, that really got the torch and pitchforks out. :D
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #10449: Jan 02, 2017 05:19:41 pm
      It's not worth worrying about us winning the league this year because it ain't gona happen. The game today highlighted all the reasons why.  We simply do not have the quality required to become champions. 

We have too many players who cannot sustain a level of consistency over the whole campaign. We have no class in midfield , capable yes , but not class .

The defence is still shoddy ( improved from last season ) and is still capable of completely disintegrating.  The forward line just do not give us 90 minutes , with Firminho going missing for long periods and Origi  poor first touch and lacking in holding the ball up .

Another problem is set piece's which we are really quite poor at. BUT look at the table and you will see it's not all bad . Top 3 will be good progress but at the end of the day QUALITY  is what will get you over the line , not players who have you jumping for joy one minute , then pulling your hair out screaming the next. They are nearly men.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,263 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #10450: Jan 02, 2017 06:20:53 pm
      It's not worth worrying about us winning the league this year because it ain't gona happen. The game today highlighted all the reasons why.  We simply do not have the quality required to become champions. 

We have too many players who cannot sustain a level of consistency over the whole campaign. We have no class in midfield , capable yes , but not class .

The defence is still shoddy ( improved from last season ) and is still capable of completely disintegrating.  The forward line just do not give us 90 minutes , with Firminho going missing for long periods and Origi  poor first touch and lacking in holding the ball up .

Another problem is set piece's which we are really quite poor at. BUT look at the table and you will see it's not all bad . Top 3 will be good progress but at the end of the day QUALITY  is what will get you over the line , not players who have you jumping for joy one minute , then pulling your hair out screaming the next. They are nearly men.

Add to that Gino going missing and Cans woefull performance that's why we won't win thr league what worries me after today is 4th position
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #10451: Jan 02, 2017 07:02:33 pm

Who's "worrying" about it? I've seen a few get excited about it, but worry? Nah.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #10452: Jan 02, 2017 07:07:18 pm
      F***ing hellfire, you miserable bunch of bas**rds. It's one game, two dropped points but we're still second in the table. You'd think we were in a relegation battle, given some of the comments on here.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,872 posts | 704 
      Reply #10453: Jan 02, 2017 07:30:42 pm
      "Nearly men", you're having a laugh.

We're 6 games unbeaten, the forward line regularly chips in 3 and 4 goals per game, scored twice today also, and we haven't conceded from a corner in over 2 months, so the defending has improved. Today we conceded from penalties, and that's just bad luck.

44 points so far is an excellent return, and better than most others. It's just not quite as good as someone else's, who are on a fluke run of results that has to end sometime.

We're on track for the Top 4 that we wanted before August. So in that respect, we're fine.
      Kopite78
      Reply #10454: Jan 02, 2017 07:51:20 pm
      I genuinely reckon some of yous suffer from split personalities

How you flip from top of the world to suicidal is a joke... reading the match tread today is an embarrassment.
      Just take it in context, take it for what it is, take the massive massive strides we are taking its season as an overall massive positive

The league at the top end this season is the polar opposite to last season in terms of last year no top side seemed to able to put any consistency together, this year the top 6 look so strong

Know what though we are right in that mix and we have our best points total of the last 25 years, what's great is that we genuinely look like we are building something here now rather than putting together a one off season like we have on a couple of seasons in that 25 year period

There may well be the odd hick up bur come on people some of the comments today are sh*te, simple as that

Doubters to believers Jürgen?

Still got some F***ing work on boss
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,464 posts | 4591 
      Reply #10455: Jan 02, 2017 08:06:30 pm
      We're gonna win the league...

We're gonna win the league...

We're gonna gonna gonna gonna win the league...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #10456: Jan 02, 2017 08:18:00 pm
      I genuinely reckon some of yous suffer from split personalities

How you flip from top of the world to suicidal is a joke... reading the match tread today is an embarrassment.
      Just take it in context, take it for what it is, take the massive massive strides we are taking its season as an overall massive positive

The league at the top end this season is the polar opposite to last season in terms of last year no top side seemed to able to put any consistency together, this year the top 6 look so strong

Know what though we are right in that mix and we have our best points total of the last 25 years, what's great is that we genuinely look like we are building something here now rather than putting together a one off season like we have on a couple of seasons in that 25 year period

There may well be the odd hick up bur come on people some of the comments today are sh*te, simple as that

Doubters to believers Jürgen?

Still got some f**king work on boss

Hiccups are one thing but we shouldn't be drawing with Sunderland. I don't think anyone's jumping off a cliff, but we should always expect to boss a team like Sunderland. It is what it is and it doesn't mean we can't win the title but people are surely well within their rights to be disappointed.
      Kopite78
      Reply #10457: Jan 02, 2017 08:33:52 pm
      Hiccups are one thing but we shouldn't be drawing with Sunderland. I don't think anyone's jumping off a cliff, but we should always expect to boss a team like Sunderland. It is what it is and it doesn't mean we can't win the title but people are surely well within their rights to be disappointed.

There's been some whoppers of  comments in the match thread mate

But let's just looks at your comment above

we shouldn't be drawing with Sunderland

we should always look to boss a team like Sunderland

Lets look at Sunderland just say from the last 3 seasons where we would all say they have been poor in those seasons

2013/14
      Our nearly season
      They beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge 2-1
      They beat Utd at the toilet 1-0
      They drew with eventual champions City at their place 2-2

14/15
      Drew with Utd 1-1
      Drew with Spurs 2-2
      Drew with Chelsea 0-0
      Drew with us 0-0
      Drew at Arsenal 0-0

Last season
      Drew at our place 2-2
      Beat Utd 2-1
      Drew with Arsenal 0-0
      Beat Chelsea 3-2

Hey it's only a team like Sunderland

Football is an unpredictable sport, these results always happen and a team like Sunderland tend to get them often

Disappointing yeah, but as I said some comments are sh*te and if as fans we take these teams for granted we shouldn't

As I said, we are in it, we are having a good season, these results happen, let's win our next one
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #10458: Jan 02, 2017 08:39:20 pm
      F***ing hellfire, you miserable bunch of bas**rds. It's one game, two dropped points but we're still second in the table. You'd think we were in a relegation battle, given some of the comments on here.

It's a joke isn't it?

Some 'supporters' of this club never fail to shock me.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,263 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #10459: Jan 02, 2017 08:44:54 pm
      It's a joke isn't it?

Some 'supporters' of this club never fail to shock me.

It's the disappointment......
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #10460: Jan 02, 2017 09:50:23 pm
      Back on the subject of Klopp rather than moaning about a defeat, any one else think he could have rotated more today? Given the lack of time between the last two games, I was surprised how few changes he actually made. Personally I thought we should have approached the next two games with an almost entirely different team. That being said, this forum would melt with the pandamonium of a defeat because of a shadow team.  :laugh:
      Kopite78
      Reply #10461: Jan 02, 2017 09:54:10 pm
      Back on the subject of Klopp rather than moaning about a defeat, any one else think he could have rotated more today? Given the lack of time between the last two games, I was surprised how few changes he actually made. Personally I thought we should have approached the next two games with an almost entirely different team. That being said, this forum would melt with the pandamonium of a defeat because of a shadow team.  :laugh:

Judgement call I think

He went with the thought of, give me one more push
      Then most could have a week or so off. I think with the knowledge they have ( fitness and recovery data) I'd have gone with what Jürgen did as well

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #10462: Jan 02, 2017 09:57:39 pm
      Mane looked knackered to me. He got us a goal but he never looked as explosive as he normally does. Wouldn't mind us going into the market to get someone similar as cover so we don't always have to rely on him.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #10463: Jan 02, 2017 09:58:30 pm

Nothing to be disappointed in when you've just took 10 from 12 including games against City and Everton away with the last two games coming within two days.

Wonder if we flipped the City and Sunderland game days would people be so disappointed?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #10464: Jan 02, 2017 10:02:21 pm
      Quote from Kopite78

Hey it's only a team like Sunderland

Football is an unpredictable sport, these results always happen and a team like Sunderland tend to get them often

Disappointing yeah, but as I said some comments are sh*te and if as fans we take these teams for granted we shouldn't

Hand up, I take them for granted because they are a crap club managed by a crap manager. Yea it happens, but I'm going to have a moan when/if it does.

We seem to not be able to put away the minnows. Believe we've conceded more goals against the bottom 5 than top 8. Something not right about that.

Quick Reply