Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1528623 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #15410: Dec 28, 2017 12:20:14 am

This team is producing a collective effort, no single player is carrying us like Suarez did for Rodgers..

Bang on Shabs mate. Goals from all over the pitch.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #15411: Dec 28, 2017 06:35:28 am

I am still waiting for Migs to score for us and not the opposition.Well done to Jürgen for getting our owners to splash the cash.If we can splash the cash again on a good keeper we should be solid at the back with Andy settling in for Moreno.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #15412: Dec 28, 2017 06:36:40 am

Just like it used to be Skip,in the good old days.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #15413: Dec 28, 2017 05:37:16 pm
      Stand up those who have been calling for Klopp to settle for a plan B defender previously. I think all are gone now.

Now it all makes sense. Keep and spend every cent wisely. Not throw millions away on a plan B.
      « Last Edit: Dec 28, 2017 06:25:56 pm by ruthcity »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #15414: Dec 28, 2017 06:34:46 pm
      Stand up those who have been calling for Klopp to settle for a plan B defender previously. I think all are gone now.

Now it all makes sense. Keep and spend every cent wisely. Not throw millions away on a plan B.
      flawed argument. It has been said that it was Klopps decision to spend 75m on VVD. We didn't offer 75m in the summer. Had Klopp pushed in summer we'd had probably got him earlier.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #15415: Dec 28, 2017 09:42:25 pm
      flawed argument. It has been said that it was Klopps decision to spend 75m on VVD. We didn't offer 75m in the summer. Had Klopp pushed in summer we'd had probably got him earlier.

Flawed argument.

Klopp said VVD was his man.

We didn’t bid.

Klopp said VVD was his man.

We did bid.

Rest is pish.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #15416: Dec 29, 2017 12:55:29 am
      I'm increasingly losing confidence in the manager. I don't think he should be sacked, but I do think there needs to be a bit more scrutiny of how he's doing as a coach. If you look at our defence, they have all been with us for ages - Mignolet signed for us in 2013; Clyne signed for us in 2015; Lovren signed for us in 2014; Matip and Klavan signed in July 2016; Moreno signed in 2014; Gomez came to us in 2015; Robertson came to us the most recently (aside from VVD obviously) but he has not played regularly so far.

Klopp has been working with all of these players (apart from Matip, Klavan and Robertson) since he joined us over two years ago. Despite the fact that Klopp and his coaches work with these players day in day out, despite the fact that he has had so much time to work with them on things like defending set-pieces etc, we are still an absolute shambles defensively. 3-3 at Watford, 3-3 at Arsenal, Sevilla home and away, Wembley, Man City away  ... these are not new issues - we have been poor defensively for ages and Klopp has been given the time but I don't see any improvement.

I'm not saying that he should be turning them into world beaters but, given the time he's had, it is reasonable to expect to see some improvement in their performance. The best defensive teams are good because they work as a unit - they talk to each other and understand each other. There are clear tactics that everyone knows and understands. Klopp has had time to get this embedded but - for some reason - it hasn't happened. I think it's fair to ask why.

I know that we're a very good side going forward and that we have some great attacking players. But we should be much better defensively. We should be better because the players in our back five have been playing together for a long time: they should know each other and they should be performing well as a unit. Our manager and his coaches have been working with them all this time in training. Therefore, we should be much better defensively than we currently are.

I'm not saying that he should be sacked. But I do think more questions need to be asked about his coaching qualities. Why have these players not improved under him? Why are they making the same mistakes now that they were one / two years ago? Signing better players (ie VVD) is certainly going to be part of the solution ... but our coaches need to pull their weight too otherwise what's the point in the players training at all!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15417: Dec 29, 2017 12:58:55 am
      I'm increasingly losing confidence in the manager. I don't think he should be sacked, but I do think there needs to be a bit more scrutiny of how he's doing as a coach. If you look at our defence, they have all been with us for ages - Mignolet signed for us in 2013; Clyne signed for us in 2015; Lovren signed for us in 2014; Matip and Klavan signed in July 2016; Moreno signed in 2014; Gomez came to us in 2015; Robertson came to us the most recently (aside from VVD obviously) but he has not played regularly so far.

Klopp has been working with all of these players (apart from Matip, Klavan and Robertson) since he joined us over two years ago. Despite the fact that Klopp and his coaches work with these players day in day out, despite the fact that he has had so much time to work with them on things like defending set-pieces etc, we are still an absolute shambles defensively. 3-3 at Watford, 3-3 at Arsenal, Sevilla home and away, Wembley, Man City away  ... these are not new issues - we have been poor defensively for ages and Klopp has been given the time but I don't see any improvement.

I'm not saying that he should be turning them into world beaters but, given the time he's had, it is reasonable to expect to see some improvement in their performance. The best defensive teams are good because they work as a unit - they talk to each other and understand each other. There are clear tactics that everyone knows and understands. Klopp has had time to get this embedded but - for some reason - it hasn't happened. I think it's fair to ask why.

I know that we're a very good side going forward and that we have some great attacking players. But we should be much better defensively. We should be better because the players in our back five have been playing together for a long time: they should know each other and they should be performing well as a unit. Our manager and his coaches have been working with them all this time in training. Therefore, we should be much better defensively than we currently are.

I'm not saying that he should be sacked. But I do think more questions need to be asked about his coaching qualities. Why have these players not improved under him? Why are they making the same mistakes now that they were one / two years ago? Signing better players (ie VVD) is certainly going to be part of the solution ... but our coaches need to pull their weight too otherwise what's the point in the players training at all!

Has it never crossed your mind that those players just aren't good enough or that they've already reached their potential. Just because a player doesn't improve or doesn't reach his potential doesn't mean that the coaching isn't up to scratch.

Can't believe you actually brought up where or not you think the manager should be sacked. That shouldn't even be a thought in any fan's mind.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,192 posts | 833 
      Reply #15418: Dec 29, 2017 10:10:59 am

unbeaten so far in the league, round of 16 in the CL, top 4 so far, and with a sh*te GK, defense and sub par midfield, and you're saying you are losing confidence in the manager?

Alright mate

The point in training players is match fitness, sharpness and tactics. improving abilities doesn't happen much. Milner who has a poor first touch, will always have a poor first touch that won't change in training.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #15419: Dec 29, 2017 10:21:30 am

Defensively as a unit we are actually quite improved, we are allowing less shots I believe and making it much harder for teams to get through with our pressing from the front - the problem is when they do, mind boggling mistakes usually are our undoing.

You can't blame Klopp for Lovren misjudging a header, or Moreno getting turned inside out and then over compensating with a rash challenge. Being that he's pressed for a highly rated defensive player for months on end and finally got his man, it does seem that he is working at it, don't ya think? Not to mention Gomez was out for a year with a serious injury, yet he's come back and at a youthful age is already showing some massive promise and been one of our best, for me. TAA has been well better than I hoped, and I had plenty of enthusiasm for him as it was. Moreno somehow seems to be better, if not still prone to mistake on occasion. Robertson looks good. Klavan, Lovren, Matip more or less are who they are and will be until we improve the position.

So hows that confidence in Klopp then?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #15420: Dec 29, 2017 10:25:16 am

Jesus wept.

As a unit they are more efficient but as individuals they’re still flawed.

Especially Dejan and Bertie.

Thank god Jürgen has more patience with the board.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #15421: Dec 29, 2017 11:25:18 am

Mate, we are one of the best teams in Europe at defending as a unit. We have one of the lowest total chances created against us.

Which to me seems more like a player issue. It's not his fault that once those few chances are created that we concede most of the time.

I mean we have a goalie who has the worst saves to goals ratio in the league. For instance a chart I seen yesterday showed that De gea although having to make over double the saves has let in about half of what migs has.

I think the only thing that can be laid at klopps feet is that he didn't upgrade the players in the back 5 quick enough but it looks like that is being changed now.

Look at City last season, everyone was saying peps system didn't work here they were too open. But a couple of signings for the back line and keeper later they are quite formidable at the back and still pretty devastating going forward.

That's how I expect we will be with a bit more work on the back line and midfield.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #15422: Dec 29, 2017 12:02:17 pm
      I don't agree that the only way we can improve our squad is by buying players. Players' performance can be affected by the quality of the coaching that they get. I'm not saying that a poor player can suddenly be transformed into a world class international standard player, but a decent coach will get more from players and get them playing better.

My point is that if you look at these same players' performances over the past couple of years, which of them has developed and improved? That's a genuine question - which of our defensive players have got better?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #15423: Dec 29, 2017 12:19:04 pm
      I don't agree that the only way we can improve our squad is by buying players. Players' performance can be affected by the quality of the coaching that they get. I'm not saying that a poor player can suddenly be transformed into a world class international standard player, but a decent coach will get more from players and get them playing better.

My point is that if you look at these same players' performances over the past couple of years, which of them has developed and improved? That's a genuine question - which of our defensive players have got better?

Joe Gomez. Alberto Moreno (small improvement, but improvement). Trent Alexander-Arnold. James Milner somehow had a fairly solid contribution at many times, despite not being a defender by trade. Andy Robertson seems to have bought into the system well enough, but small sample size. He has genuinely got a sh*t deck of cards but has made it work, beyond the brain fades and goalkeeper F**k ups that are nothing that he can control.

ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #15424: Dec 29, 2017 01:55:33 pm
      beyond the brain fades and goalkeeper f**k ups that are nothing that he can control.
      I think this is fundamentally where we disagree ... 'F**k ups' are things he can - over time - control. Lovren didn't make those F**k ups at Southampton. They are a product of consistently poor coaching at Liverpool. The coaches who coach our first team all earn upwards of £70k ... besides setting out the cones when the players warm up at Anfield, I can't see what else they do.

Just to be clear though, I am not talking exclusively about Klopp - I am on about the whole coaching team. He has control over them and directs them what to do so he does rightly take ultimate responsibility but I think the coaching in general has been poor for a good while now.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #15425: Dec 29, 2017 03:32:08 pm
      besides setting out the cones when the players warm up at Anfield, I can't see what else they do.

That’s because you aren’t at Melwood.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #15426: Dec 29, 2017 04:15:14 pm
      Klopp had control over many transfer windows. He handed Mignolet a contract extension when there was 0 risk of him going anywhere and refused to replace him. Even now it's not looking likely he'll be replaced. Klopp defends Mignolet at least once every month and blames the rest of the team. He soon called out Sturridge for not playing through pain, he has not said mignolet needs to get off his line and save more shots. Id actually go further than a new goalkeeper, I'd get a new goalkeeping coach too. Ward done fantastic at Huddersfield and they wanted to keep him. Had he been loaned out again he'd be doing better than Mignolet, but he instead rots on our bench whilst Migs gets league and Karius CL. If I were Ward, I'd hand in a transfer request right now and go to a club a January who didn't rank me below leagues most incompetent keeper.

I'll give Klopp credit for his signings he made, but not even the best defence in the world will be effective with Mignolet behind. It's quite possible Lovren will be much better with a better keeper behind him too.

Mignolet is the opposite of Jenga, put him in and team falls apart. Klopps got a big question mark over his head and no matter who he signs, the question mark will be there until Mignolet has been dropped.

Mignolet was boasting about a clean sheet on his 200th appearance when he didn't need to do anything. Maybe he should have put his shot to goal ratio if he wanted to be honest.
      « Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017 04:22:10 pm by Ribapuru »
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #15427: Dec 29, 2017 05:00:25 pm
      Klopp had control over many transfer windows. He handed Mignolet a contract extension when there was 0 risk of him going anywhere and refused to replace him. Even now it's not looking likely he'll be replaced. Klopp defends Mignolet at least once every month and blames the rest of the team. He soon called out Sturridge for not playing through pain, he has not said mignolet needs to get off his line and save more shots. Id actually go further than a new goalkeeper, I'd get a new goalkeeping coach too. Ward done fantastic at Huddersfield and they wanted to keep him. Had he been loaned out again he'd be doing better than Mignolet, but he instead rots on our bench whilst Migs gets league and Karius CL. If I were Ward, I'd hand in a transfer request right now and go to a club a January who didn't rank me below leagues most incompetent keeper.

I'll give Klopp credit for his signings he made, but not even the best defence in the world will be effective with Mignolet behind. It's quite possible Lovren will be much better with a better keeper behind him too.

Mignolet is the opposite of Jenga, put him in and team falls apart. Klopps got a big question mark over his head and no matter who he signs, the question mark will be there until Mignolet has been dropped.

Mignolet was boasting about a clean sheet on his 200th appearance when he didn't need to do anything. Maybe he should have put his shot to goal ratio if he wanted to be honest.

I've never hated a Liverpool player to the core as much as Mignolet and Lovren. Klopp bottles both of them, then bam! A world class replacement comes in. I'll be watching this space.

Some managers build from the back. Klopp builds from the front. I'm sure Migs will be replaced. I'm dead sure he'll play himself out of the team no matter how much we want him to be here. His days are definitely numbered.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #15428: Dec 29, 2017 06:40:25 pm
      That’s because you aren’t at Melwood.
      You're missing the point ... the people who are paid an awful lot of money to coach and develop our first-team players are at Melwood. None of us know exactly what they do there because none of us have access to their training but the players might as well be sitting around playing board games or learning to play the violin for all the good it's doing.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #15429: Dec 29, 2017 06:44:07 pm
      You're missing the point ... the people who are paid an awful lot of money to coach and develop our first-team players are at Melwood. None of us know exactly what they do there because none of us have access to their training but the players might as well be sitting around playing board games or learning to play the violin for all the good it's doing.
      You'll here stuff like that a lot around here. When I said Mignolet needs dropping somebody said but Klopp is the one that sees him in training. It's laughable some of peoples responses. It's enough to make you think they are just acting stupid on purpose.
      Sometimes the training team are like composers for the warm ups from what I have seen, then they have training matches. The individual coaches don't seem to get awfully involved a lot in team training. These people can be only told to react faster or kick it lower etc... things they have been told countless times. If they aren't good enough no amount of coaching can change it really, but I am not convinced Liverpool have the right person for goalkeeping coach even if we had a better keeper.
      « Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017 06:51:32 pm by Ribapuru »
      Kopite78
      Reply #15430: Dec 29, 2017 06:57:00 pm

We have got better at the back, just go look at the stats.. less shots against us, less chances created against us. More clean sheets.

So the coaching is working but tye individual mistakes are killing us.

Take arsenal as the prime example.

First goal.

Gomez will be coached to keep the player the opposite side of him when the ball comes it, he does that, the coaching works.. he switches off and Sanchez gets the other side and scores.
      Bar Klopp standing with him I don't know what you want to do.
      Everything technically was there.. . The player switches off

The second goal. Defensively we have them to a point where the only thing on is a long range shot.. The keeper is F***ing awful and it goes through him.
      A player mistake not a coaching one.

Now we can talk about buying better  but you are talking coaching.
      On both on those goals the coaching is fine.. The individuals let the side down.

All coaches are different. Some think the game is a defensive one, the likes of Rafa and Gerard for example.
      Klopp however feels the game is an attacking one at heart. And if you truly believe he hasn't improved us there on the  training ground id give up watching the game

You'll here stuff like that a lot around here. When I said Mignolet needs dropping somebody said but Klopp is the one that sees him in training. It's laughable some of peoples responses. It's enough to make you think they are just acting stupid on purpose.
      Sometimes the training team are like composers for the warm ups from what I have seen, then they have training matches. The individual coaches don't seem to get awfully involved a lot in team training. These people can be only told to react faster or kick it lower etc... things they have been told countless times. If they aren't good enough no amount of coaching can change it really, but I am not convinced Liverpool have the right person for goalkeeping coach even if we had a better keeper.

I guess you are talking about me. But not being able to read is obviously added to your oddities

I actually said, he sees them all in training everyday. And therefore is judging that Karius isn't a better option.

I said I would buy a new keeper because I dont believe any are good enough.

I know it's difficult but do try to keep up
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #15431: Dec 29, 2017 08:14:12 pm
      I guess you are talking about me. But not being able to read is obviously added to your oddities

I actually said, he sees them all in training everyday. And therefore is judging that Karius isn't a better option.

I said I would buy a new keeper because I dont believe any are good enough.

I know it's difficult but do try to keep up
      To be honest, I could not remember who said that but it was something along those lines. I would not judge a player on training alone and any manager that does is making a mistake. An important part of being a player in any position is the ability to handle pressure, to me Mignolet is anxious and it spreads like a virus amongst the back line. Karius seems a lot more calm even though he played far less games. Goalies don't usually flap around like Migs in training like they do in matches. There comes a time where training performances need to be excluded from decisions and this should have been the case long ago regarding our goalkeeping spot.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #15432: Dec 29, 2017 08:20:37 pm
      To be honest, I could not remember who said that but it was something along those lines. I would not judge a player on training alone and any manager that does is making a mistake. An important part of being a player in any position is the ability to handle pressure, to me Mignolet is anxious and it spreads like a virus amongst the back line. Karius seems a lot more calm even though he played far less games. Goalies don't usually flap around like Migs in training like they do in matches. There comes a time where training performances need to be excluded from decisions and this should have been the case long ago regarding our goalkeeping spot.

You've posted an awful lot of sh*t since you came back, seemingly, in an attempt to see how much sh*t you have to post to get an outright ban, with some pretty outrageous wummery, but you've outdone yourself with this sh*t.

It's gone past the point of laughing at the village idiot now, and descended into sheer stupidity for the sake of it.

If I thought you believed even half of what you post, I'd actually feel sorry for you, but since that's not the case, it's time for the ignore button, so I'm not subjected to any more of this buffoonery, and can concentrate on reading the posts made by people who actually make sense, and aren't just trolling for attention.

Happy new year.

Quick Reply