Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1531780 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #15433: Dec 29, 2017 09:04:09 pm
      . I would not judge a player on training alone

Managers do

I'd trust them more than you

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #15434: Dec 29, 2017 09:06:21 pm
      You've posted an awful lot of sh*t since you came back, seemingly, in an attempt to see how much sh*t you have to post to get an outright ban, with some pretty outrageous wummery, but you've outdone yourself with this sh*t.

It's gone past the point of laughing at the village idiot now, and descended into sheer stupidity for the sake of it.

If I thought you believed even half of what you post, I'd actually feel sorry for you, but since that's not the case, it's time for the ignore button, so I'm not subjected to any more of this buffoonery, and can concentrate on reading the posts made by people who actually make sense, and aren't just trolling for attention.

Happy new year.
      Atleast I post about Liverpool and not other posters. Your just being a WUM.
      Kopite78
      Reply #15435: Dec 29, 2017 09:11:46 pm
      Atleast I post about Liverpool and not other posters. Your just being a WUM.

You're
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #15436: Dec 29, 2017 09:51:29 pm
      Managers do

Not all the time they don't to be fair. Look at Ledley King, 1st choice at Spurs despite very rarely even being able to train.
      Kopite78
      Reply #15437: Dec 29, 2017 10:14:57 pm
      Not all the time they don't to be fair. Look at Ledley King, 1st choice at Spurs despite very rarely even being able to train.

Because he couldn't

Not the point in general

King was a senior player who's injuries stifeld him in his later career who his manager trusted. Not the rule
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #15438: Dec 29, 2017 10:30:49 pm

Because he couldn't

Not the point in general

King was a senior player who's injuries stifeld him in his later career who his manager trusted. Not the rule

Paul McGrath was another.

But they were old pro's by that time, and a lack of on field training didn't mean no training at all.

Plus they would be at the sessions and also tactical meetings.

Different kettle of fish IMO
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #15439: Dec 29, 2017 10:36:02 pm
      Because he couldn't

Not the point in general

It's exactly the point. He was unable to train because he was so susceptible to injuries, he was unreliable because he could play 1 or 2 games and then miss a load because of injury again. Regardless of how good he could be when playing, why does that make him more deserving to play ahead of someone who does train all the time and that is rarely injured? How can a manager put so much trust in a player that is so injury prone? It would be like Sturridge automatically getting in ahead of Bobby as soon as he's over an injury.

I'm not going to get into this with you but my initial point stands.
      Kopite78
      Reply #15440: Dec 29, 2017 10:50:38 pm
      It's exactly the point. He was unable to train because he was so susceptible to injuries, he was unreliable because he could play 1 or 2 games and then miss a load because of injury again. Regardless of how good he could be when playing, why does that make him more deserving to play ahead of someone who does train all the time and that is rarely injured? How can a manager put so much trust in a player that is so injury prone? It would be like Sturridge automatically getting in ahead of Bobby as soon as he's over an injury.

I'm not going to get into this with you but my initial point stands.

But that isn't the initial point

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #15441: Dec 29, 2017 10:57:56 pm

Well it is, because you've pulled Rib up and said that managers do judge players on training alone. Then when I put an example of that not being the case all the time, you then try and back track.

. I would not judge a player on training alone

Managers do

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #15442: Dec 29, 2017 11:01:28 pm
      It kinda is, since you are saying performance in training is more important to managers than pitch performances to picking players and that is why Karius is not getting a look in compared to Mignolet.
      Kopite78
      Reply #15443: Dec 29, 2017 11:06:18 pm
      Well it is, because you've pulled Rib up and said that managers do judge players on training alone. Then when I put an example of that not being the case all the time, you then try and back track.

It kinda is, since you are saying performance in training is more important to managers than pitch performances to picking players and that is why Karius is not getting a look in compared to Mignolet.

It's not

I'm saying in general

You're giving an example of a senior player who had  a history of injuries but a manager knew what he could do in terms of tactical dicipline

I'm saying what a manager sees in training.

Neither you nor I know that. But with an example of Ledley king we could all see it
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15444: Dec 29, 2017 11:10:18 pm
      https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/12/Jürgen-klopps-liverpool-evolution-taking-shape/

Thought this was a good article about the evolution of Klopp's squad from the beginning until now. I won't paste the whole thing, but the starting lineup and bench in game 1 back then vs. now is striking:

Oct. 2015 vs. Spurs
      GK: Mignolet
      D: Clyne, Moreno, Skrtel, Sakho
      M: Lucas, Can, Milner
      F: Lallana, Origi, Coutinho
      Subs: Bogdan, Toure, Randall, Allen, Teixera, Ibe, Sinclair

All of the subs are gone, and 7 of the 11 remain on the roster.

Dec. 26, 2017
      D:Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Klavan, Robertson
      M: Can, Wijnaldum, Oxlaide-Chamberlain
      F: Salah, Firmino, Coutinho
      Subs: Karius, Gomez, Lovren, Milner, Lallana, Solanke, Mane

So 5 of 18 from that first match in Wednesday's squad, and 8 of that 18 still here at the club (with one, Origi, on loan). Then 10 of Wednesday's  18 were already here when the first match was played.

When I look at Wednesday's squad, the only question marks (for me) as to the next few years at LFC, are players who were already here when Klopp arrived (Lovren, Milner, Can, Mignolet - even those for me I have no problem with staying here as bench players). Only Gini seems possible as a Klopp buy who is more of a squad player.

I think we're getting pretty close, and I look forward to another add or two, although probably not until the summer.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #15445: Dec 29, 2017 11:13:16 pm
      It's not

I'm saying in general

You're giving an example of a senior player who had  a history of injuries but a manager knew what he could do in terms of tactical dicipline

I'm saying what a manager sees in training.

Neither you nor I know that. But with an example of Ledley king we could all see it
      Even if Mignolet played like Spiderman in training, Karius should still have been given more games than he has. I think it is utter nonsense to have one keeper for CL and another for league. With Klopp he has made a pre determined choice that he won't change and it doesn't seem based on performance. In my opinion all players chosen should be weighted like 50% most recent game performance and 50% training performance. As a manager it is important to keep track of these things and just basing it on one thing is not really getting the best out of the team.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #15446: Dec 29, 2017 11:18:49 pm
      https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/12/Jürgen-klopps-liverpool-evolution-taking-shape/

Thought this was a good article about the evolution of Klopp's squad from the beginning until now. I won't paste the whole thing, but the starting lineup and bench in game 1 back then vs. now is striking:

Oct. 2015 vs. Spurs
      D: Clyne, Moreno, Skrtel, Sakho
      M: Lucas, Can, Milner
      F: Lallana, Origi, Coutinho
      Subs: Bogdan, Toure, Randall, Allen, Teixera, Ibe, Sinclair

All of the subs are gone, and 7 of the 11 remain on the roster.

Dec. 26, 2017
      D:Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Klavan, Robertson
      M: Can, Wijnaldum, Oxlaide-Chamberlain
      F: Salah, Firmino, Coutinho
      Subs: Karius, Gomez, Lovren, Milner, Lallana, Solanke, Mane

So 5 of 18 from that first match in Wednesday's squad, and 8 of that 18 still here at the club (with one, Origi, on loan). Then 10 of Wednesday's  18 were already here when the first match was played.

When I look at Wednesday's squad, the only question marks (for me) as to the next few years at LFC, are players who were already here when Klopp arrived (Lovren, Milner, Can, Mignolet - even those for me I have no problem with staying here as bench players). Only Gini seems possible as a Klopp buy who is more of a squad player.

I think we're getting pretty close, and I look forward to another add or two, although probably not until the summer.
      As soon as Klopp replaces Mignolet he will lose the question mark a lot of people including myself have with him. Even if it doesn't work out, there needs to be some recognition Mignolet is not right for us and an effort to replace him. A lot of fans would rather Klopp said nothing than blame others for Mignolets errors.
      Kopite78
      Reply #15447: Dec 29, 2017 11:31:20 pm
      . A lot of fans would rather Klopp said nothing than blame others for Mignolets errors.

When has he done that?

The reason he gets up your nose is that he defends Mignolet.. . But by doing that he doesn't  throw others under the bus

He only defends Mignolet as to not to create a bigger story in the press. Only idiots think that's the true narative
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15448: Dec 29, 2017 11:34:51 pm
      Methinks Jürgen will give VVD  the armband come the summer.

I know he is the new kid on the block now ...but looks like Hendo and/or Can may not even be at Anfield by then.

Best position on the park to lead the team from.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #15449: Dec 29, 2017 11:40:46 pm
      When has he done that?

The reason he gets up your nose is that he defends Mignolet.. . But by doing that he doesn't  throw others under the bus

He only defends Mignolet as to not to create a bigger story in the press. Only idiots think that's the true narative
      Multiple times he has blamed the defence when we conceded much less shots but equal or more goals.
      Against Arsenal he refused to blame Mignolet and put it down to team defending and hinted the attack was wasteful.
      I can understand him not wanting to publicly shame Mignolet, but many fans would rather he say nothing than blame others.
      Kopite78
      Reply #15450: Dec 29, 2017 11:47:53 pm
      Multiple times he has blamed the defence when we conceded much less shots but equal or more goals.
      Against Arsenal he refused to blame Mignolet and put it down to team defending and hinted the attack was wasteful.
      I can understand him not wanting to publicly shame Mignolet, but many fans would rather he say nothing than blame others.

But what's he being asked by the interviewer? 

Come on it can't not make sense to you.

Whether he believes it or not he isn't going to give the answer the interviewer wants even if it's not what you want nor what he truly thinks
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #15451: Dec 29, 2017 11:51:41 pm

Stop playing the village idiot Klopp would never throw any of his players under the bus and that includes Migs.
      So as far as Klopp is concerned a goal conceded is down to the whole team failing in some aspect of defending.

Now obviously in the case of Migs often the main culprit is himself but Klopp won't as much as you would like offer a public lynching.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #15452: Dec 29, 2017 11:53:09 pm
      Methinks Jürgen will give VVD  the armband come the summer.

I know he is the new kid on the block now ...but looks like Hendo and/or Can may not even be at Anfield by then.

Best position on the park to lead the team from.

You think so mate?

Like others, I think the "armband" is a peculiarly English thing, and Klopp doesn't really give a F**k about it.

We need more leaders around the whole pitch though, or as I put it "front foot players" who are aggressive, hungry and a bit nasty.

On a side note, I think the reason our press has been misfiring from midfield is because Henderson isn't there to trigger it.

So Firmino has to drop deeper, and Coutinho as well, although Salah and Mane stay fairly high.

For Klopp's teams to work, it all has to be done in unison (pressing), and I think Gini hasn't got it yet, and nor has Can.

Maybe they lack the vision, or pace from a standing start, but I firmly believe that Henderson is better at it; win the ball high, retain possession, circulate possession, trigger the high press.

I think he's a really good player, who is essential to team cohesion and efficiency.

He's 27, just coming into his prime, and would have come into his prime earlier but for injuries.

I'd be surprised if Klopp got rid of him or benched him, because of the solid platform he gives us.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #15453: Dec 30, 2017 12:02:49 am
      You think so mate?

Like others, I think the "armband" is a peculiarly English thing, and Klopp doesn't really give a f**k about it.

We need more leaders around the whole pitch though, or as I put it "front foot players" who are aggressive, hungry and a bit nasty.

On a side note, I think the reason our press has been misfiring from midfield is because Henderson isn't there to trigger it.

So Firmino has to drop deeper, and Coutinho as well, although Salah and Mane stay fairly high.

For Klopp's teams to work, it all has to be done in unison (pressing), and I think Gini hasn't got it yet, and nor has Can.

Maybe they lack the vision, or pace from a standing start, but I firmly believe that Henderson is better at it; win the ball high, retain possession, circulate possession, trigger the high press.

I think he's a really good player, who is essential to team cohesion and efficiency.

He's 27, just coming into his prime, and would have come into his prime earlier but for injuries.

I'd be surprised if Klopp got rid of him or benched him, because of the solid platform he gives us.

Good points made mate however I don't think Henderson offers much more than a good pressing runner from midfield.

All of his previous midfielders at Dortmund have had so much more ability than Henderson, I don't want to knock the lad because he can do a job but maybe not as a starter for me.

If you analyse Hendersons strengths it is his energy and running ability and against most teams we face thay sit deep he is nullified as his ability to dictate play or find players between the lines is non existent.

If as I hope we bring in a proper No6 and Keita arriving next season I can't see a starting position for Henderson.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #15454: Dec 30, 2017 12:06:36 am
      Good managers don't drop players who have had a mare the game after, they wait a game or two then "rest" said player. Problem for Klopp is he doesn't trust Karius to come in for a run of games.

Now that Van Dijk has arrived and £75m has gone out, and another shed load will be needed to replace Coutinho, how much will be left in the kitty for a top keeper. Klopp has let the situation drift and it's a constant problem. It's taken him this long to sort out the central defense. Probably could've got Van Dijk for £30m less 12 months ago.

Klopp is a motivational manager, and sometimes comes over as a bit confusing. Alex is starting to get into gear but would Zaha or Mahrez been a better choice.Can't let Spurs or Arsenal get clear so Klopp is under massive pressure.

Still has my trust but the biggest test will be to replace Coutinho. Get that wrong and it will be very difficult next season.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #15455: Dec 30, 2017 12:10:11 am
      Good points made mate however I don't think Henderson offers much more than a good pressing runner from midfield.

All of his previous midfielders at Dortmund have had so much more ability than Henderson, I don't want to knock the lad because he can do a job but maybe not as a starter for me.

If you analyse Hendersons strengths it is his energy and running ability and against most teams we face thay sit deep he is nullified as his ability to dictate play or find players between the lines is non existent.

If as I hope we bring in a proper No6 and Keita arriving next season I can't see a starting position for Henderson.

Fair comment, but let me ask you this; who would Klopp have as his trigger (for pressing), and also sitting deep to recycle, and also push up, if not Henderson?
      I disagree that he has little to his game, because he is playing to instructions, and the instruction is keep the ball, work it around, look for gaps.

He can pass, defend, shoot, tackle, head, has great pace and athleticism, is big and imposing, and gee's the team up all the time.

I honestly don't see the problem; his overall game has been lacking this season after injuries, and he's not got his full fitness back yet.
      When he has his full fitness back (march/april) watch him go.
      He's not a "special" player, but he's plenty good enough and then some, if he was let off his leash.

IMO of course (others may vary ;)   )

Quick Reply