Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1536271 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16629: Feb 18, 2018 12:14:22 am
      Well that’s not even remotely true, is it?
      Salah has 30 goals in 36 games, how isn't it?
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #16630: Feb 18, 2018 12:16:19 am
      As ever you lack any context or relativity. When Klopp came into this club we were pulling in all different directions. We had a transfer strategy that was nothing of the kind and had chosen to turn its back on 'attractive, thrilling football' in favour of buying expensive duds like Christian Benteke, Markovic and bargain bin transfers like Lambert and Manquillo which, to use an analogy, was akin to throwing in rotten satsumas as 'stocking fillers' at Christmas time. Farcically we had the contradictory situation of an entire backroom staff being sacked in the summer of 2015 while the manager kept his job. When we found ourselves 'competing' in Europe in the seasons prior to Klopp's arrival we were dumped out by starry illustrious names like Braga, Zenit St Petersburg, Basle and Besiktas - three of those in the early stages of the Europa League for fucks sake. In the months prior to his arrival, we couldn't score more than one goal a game while shipping sh*t loads at the other end perfectly exemplified by possibly the worst ever performance in Liverpool FC history at Stoke in May 2015.

So Klopp comes into the club and swiftly goes about doing what he does best. He gets us to two cup finals with a donkey of a squad. He then oversees our return to the Champions League while playing a brand of football that is not only thrilling and attractive to football fans all over but to players outwith the club. He deploys his charisma to convince class players like VVD to shun a bigger pay day (and instant trophies) at Man City. With few exceptions he has improved every single player at this club. He's seen what the likes of Mane and Salah did at their previous clubs and has improved them tenfold. He guides us through the Champions League with little to no fanfare and is back on the verge of getting us into the last 8 in Europe, the arena where we all felt we should have been competing. And he's achieved this while the competition around us has only got tougher. Not only have teams around us inflated the transfer market to stratospheric levels while we've remained at the same level, the income of brilliant managerial masterminds like Guardiola at Man City and Conte at Chelsea has only risen standards on the field as well. These two elements should have worked against Liverpool and Klopp but Klopp's leadership alone means that this doesn't become an issue or certainly an issue as big as it would have been under almost any other manager. 99.9% of managers out there would have been exposed under such circumstances but we aren't. Yeah - he hasn't got everything right and for sure in the goalkeeping matter his decision to try placating both keepers doesn't seem wise in retrospect but to use that in the way you are doing, to try and pithily use this as a dominating factor in your view of Klopp is pathetic when you fail to recognise so many greater matters that he has succeeded on.

By all means, focus on the micro elements and criticise on that level but don't even dare try to fool us by taking such micro elements and expanding them into bigger, macro elements of his leadership at this club. When you try to argue such micro elements and apply it to a bigger, all encompassing argument then you fail miserably. It's like you're bringing a sausage to a sword fight. That's all you're doing and you look a fool for doing it.

Love your positivity regarding Klopp, but it seems you're placing all the blame on Brendan when it's clear that some of the fault lies with the fact that some  players that were  forced on him by the transfer committee!

You're focusing on BR's last season while neglecting the previous one and ignoring factors that lead to said season being such as disaster. Brendan over compensated for the problem at the back by changing his tactics (wrongly) to a more defensive style, when we didn't have the players to do such.

He didn't want Mario or Markovic, they were (committee signings) so it's unfair to lay that blame at his door. There lies my defense of Brendan, I think he could have turned it around but no matter.

So now we have Jürgen. Wow, isn't it still crazy that Jürgen choose us over Utd £££? (allegedly) 🙂
      We have a boss that has proven his worth turning a team of also rans into title winners. I know Mancs that would swap him with Jose in a heartbeat! If fact, Jürgen was the No 1 choice of most Sister shaggers, before we landed him. With a PATHETIC net spend he has managed to do, almost what he did at Dortmund, ( put us back among the big boys)  obviously it's a much tougher league in England, so it will take a lot more to win the league than it did in Germany.
       Bayern took a gap year apparently, but huge credit must go to Jürgen for seizing the opportunity to strike when the opportunity arose, lets hope should City go through a spell where they're not firing in all cylinders and we can capitalise, as that's our best chance of moving up a level given their financial power.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #16631: Feb 18, 2018 12:27:26 am
      Unless I’ve misunderstood you, you’re not comparing Salah to Suarez, rather comparing Klopp’s situation to Rodgers’ situation. You’re saying that if Salah was to leave in the summer, we would suffer the same capitulation as we did when Suarez left.

So you’re not only downplaying the ability and contribution of players like Firmino and Mane, but also disregarding Klopp’s successes in the transfer market. Do you really think he would try to replace such talent with the ilk of Lambert and Balotelli?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,462 posts | 3429 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #16632: Feb 18, 2018 12:31:34 am
      To be fair, it is probably the same naive herd that come on here saying how we're going to win every game, Spurs springs to mind. I said it was going to be a draw before the game... I was called a WUM. It was a draw, forum meltdown..  This same naive herd think Klopps a messiah, he is an improving manager who won nothing yet, but that is just an opinion. When he wins something I will be the first to praise him. I couldn't care how many people kiss Klopp are Frankley's ass, 17 likes doesn't put a trophy in the cabinet.

I went for a draw against spurs, doesn't make me someone who thinks they are above the herd as you call them
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #16633: Feb 18, 2018 12:32:59 am
      ... but his comparison to the appalling state we were in and what has happened since we got rid of Rodgers is fact.

Knockers will knock haters will hate.

I didn't know that your other name was Donovan or do you just speak for him?

OK. Question for you.
      What other Premier League manager would you have preferred to Jürgen ?

Who would have been the perfect match ........ ?

Take as long as you like.

There isn't a single manager in the world that I'd rather have here instead of Jürgen, but no one has had us as close to a title in the last 26 years as Brendan.
      Everyone agrees that whatever Jürgen wants regarding transfers, Jürgen gets! ( It's not true, but what ever). It was clear that Brendan did not have the same power in that aspect.

Knock Brendan all you want, but he came damn close to bringing us a title, hopefully Jürgen will too, but at the minute were miles away. 18 points behind City after 27 games! It's a big ask to catch them, even in the next couple of seasons.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #16634: Feb 18, 2018 12:35:18 am
      Unless I’ve misunderstood you, you’re not comparing Salah to Suarez, rather comparing Klopp’s situation to Rodgers’ situation. You’re saying that if Salah was to leave in the summer, we would suffer the same capitulation as we did when Suarez left.

So you’re not only downplaying the ability and contribution of players like Firmino and Mane, but also disregarding Klopp’s successes in the transfer market. Do you really think he would try to replace such talent with the ilk of Lambert and Balotelli?

You think That's the standard of player Brendan was Hoping for? No Jürgen won't sign players like that thankfully, unlike Brendan he has the option not to.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16635: Feb 18, 2018 12:37:50 am

Salah won't leave I don't think, but if he did, Klopp would have the same problem Rodgers had. He has no titles to back up his time here. There is currently very little difference in Klopp and Rodgers just before Suarez left.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #16636: Feb 18, 2018 01:12:55 am
      You think That's the standard of player Brendan was Hoping for? No Jürgen won't sign players like that thankfully, unlike Brendan he has the option not to.
      No, but that wasn’t the topic in discussion. Whether you think it was or wasn’t his decision, I don’t think there is any evidence to suggest that the departure of 1 player would cause us to go in to a similar meltdown. See Coutinho.

For the record, I don’t think Rodgers is a bad manager (his man-management was/is actually very good) but he did have a very chequered record in the transfer window. For every Firmino, there was a Borini, Aspas, Benteke; for every Coutinho, a Lambert, Markovic, Balotelli.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #16637: Feb 18, 2018 02:03:16 am
      No, but that wasn’t the topic in discussion. Whether you think it was or wasn’t his decision, I don’t think there is any evidence to suggest that the departure of 1 player would cause us to go in to a similar meltdown. See Coutinho.

For the record, I don’t think Rodgers is a bad manager (his man-management was/is actually very good) but he did have a very chequered record in the transfer window. For every Firmino, there was a Borini, Aspas, Benteke; for every Coutinho, a Lambert, Markovic, Balotelli.
      Suarez leaving was a bigger blow than Coutinho leaving, basically it was like Messi leaving Barca!

To be fair Aspas, Markovic and Bolotelli were committee signings, Firmino was also a Committee signing from what I hear. I actually was supportive of the Benteke signing as I thought he was to be the focal point of the attack. Strangely enough we had a team out there that for whatever reason,  couldn't or wouldn't put  a bloody cross into him!
      I much preferred the fast paced all out attack tactics we had the season previously with Coutinho, Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge. Even without Suarez, he should've still persisted with what had worked previously, instead of sacrificing attack to shore up the defense, which didn't work anyway!

Jürgen had been criticized for the way we defend, but has stuck to his tactics and eventually (long overdue mind) bought the right player in defence to make a difference.
      RedWilly

• 9,199 posts | 1642 
      Reply #16638: Feb 18, 2018 08:37:42 am

You’re a F***ing moron, you judge everything in isolation, judging the manager on a month by month basis rather than as a whole shows how much of a clown you are.

We sold Suarez and the whole thing fell apart. We sold Coutinho and the likes of you were telling us the sky was falling, but we’ve just sparked Porto 5-0 away from home and are well placed to push for 2nd in the league.

That’s why people think you’re a WUM, you absolute nonsense opinions that don’t correlate to reality in anyway.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,698 posts | 3937 
      Reply #16639: Feb 18, 2018 09:46:35 am
      You’re a f**king moron, you judge everything in isolation, judging the manager on a month by month basis rather than as a whole shows how much of a clown you are.

We sold Suarez and the whole thing fell apart. We sold Coutinho and the likes of you were telling us the sky was falling, but we’ve just sparked Porto 5-0 away from home and are well placed to push for 2nd in the league.

That’s why people think you’re a WUM, you absolute nonsense opinions that don’t correlate to reality in anyway.

Can you imagine having a conversation with ribs down the pub. Painful.
      « Last Edit: Feb 18, 2018 05:00:30 pm by LondonRed83 »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,875 posts | 704 
      Reply #16640: Feb 18, 2018 10:06:06 am
      Quote from JD
      He needs success now to propel him to the level of Rafa. Surely Klopp can't end his career at LFC alongside Hodgson and Rodgers trophyless?

If you count the PL Asia Trophy, he's already done better. If you've forgotten it, you probably don't.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #16641: Feb 18, 2018 11:06:23 am
      Absolutely spot on to say that Jürgen needs to win at least one trophy to be considered in the same category as Rafa / Houllier.

He then needs to win quite a few to get into the same pantheon as Kenny / Shanks / Joe and Uncle Bob.

We are however in significantly better shape than we were even in 2013 / 14 because we have a real team and some squad depth (especially midfield) and more to come with Naby at least.

Where I disagree - and for what it’s worth I think this is where these convos become so devisive - is that the “missed opportunities” going out of the League and FA Cup etc represent a “setback” on our journey.

We’re on our way to creating a new dynasty - that’s the real goal. Don’t get me wrong I would have loved to win either of the aforementioned this season BUT I don’t believe not doing in anyway undermines the very, very clear progress we’re making.

I do also find it funny a bunch of guys on a forum picking the bones of tactics / subs etc whilst not knowing how to set up a subbuteo team......sometimes we need to take ourselves a little less seriously  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      « Last Edit: Feb 18, 2018 11:13:48 am by Scotia »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16642: Feb 18, 2018 11:24:02 am
      You’re a f**king moron, you judge everything in isolation, judging the manager on a month by month basis rather than as a whole shows how much of a clown you are.

here we are, another person who can't debate and gets so frustrated with their own lack of intelligence, results to swearing and WUM branding. It's like playing somebody on Street fighter who just knows one special move and keeps repeating it. Probably Chun Li fast kicking or Ryo fireball.

I didn't say Coutinho would be a big loss either, I said he's actually a weakness in deeper positions and his goal scoring tally upfront isn't spectacular. He's not really world class and was below the others in the fab 4. What we got for him can be reinvested in much better. Coutinho is like Gerrard with no defence, both can pass, shoot, score.. Coutinho can't win the ball or tackle so he results to be the presser. There's plenty of people who can replace  Coutinho for less money, Barcelona is going to get bored of Coutinho  too.. right now he's playing second fiddle to an aging iniesta. If Coutinho played against Porto it would have left a weakness in midfield, unless Mane was on the bench and Coutinho played upfront. Mane in bench maybe it would have been 3 or 4-0. Coutinho deep probably 5-1 or 5-2. Either way Coutinho isn't always a good thing because of his lack of defensive abilities. If he were here I don't think Coutinho should be starting XI because he's just not as important as Firmino, Salah and Mane and I don't trust him in midfield. Too much of a hole to exploit.
      « Last Edit: Feb 18, 2018 11:34:38 am by Ribapuru »
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #16643: Feb 18, 2018 11:26:23 am
      Frankly has 17 +'s for that post ....

and you?
      Your point...?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #16644: Feb 18, 2018 11:42:40 am
      ... but his comparison to the appalling state we were in and what has happened since we got rid of Rodgers is fact.

Knockers will knock haters will hate.

I didn't know that your other name was Donovan or do you just speak for him?

OK. Question for you.
      What other Premier League manager would you have preferred to Jürgen ?

Who would have been the perfect match ........ ?

Take as long as you like.

I speak for myself and only myself.

There are plenty of things that I disagree with other contributes on, but that disagreement does not mean that I am right, I can recognize that, nor does it stop me recognizing when them make what I consider to be a good or valid point...

"Plus's" to post (for which I gave one to both Rib and FMS) only reflects how much people liked the post, or agreed with it,(In part or its entirety) It is not a vindication of who "Right or true" that post is....

By all means have a pop at me for agreeing with some one else if it suits you, but will it stop me from doing so in the future..??

Not by a long way
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #16645: Feb 18, 2018 12:04:43 pm

Sorry mate I have to disagree with you about BR... Have always maintained that a manager should be judge on his signings...
      To judge a manger on the signings of a transfer committee is wrong. You are handy capping the manager and forcing him to change the set up of the team, tactics and style of play... After losing Suarez and replacing him with Benteke, the team when from one with counter attacking pace to one where we were looking to put a long ball to Benteke and he either held it up and waited or knock it down to another player...

You can't accuse BR of being a bad manager, he was only ever an overseer at best
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #16646: Feb 18, 2018 12:08:37 pm
      here we are, another person who can't debate and gets so frustrated with their own lack of intelligence,

Rib... That's a bit OTT
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16647: Feb 18, 2018 12:13:52 pm
      when he is calling people a moron and WUM, it's really not. Name calling is for people who lack debating skills.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16648: Feb 18, 2018 12:52:48 pm
      I speak for myself and only myself.

There are plenty of things that I disagree with other contributes on, but that disagreement does not mean that I am right, I can recognize that, nor does it stop me recognizing when them make what I consider to be a good or valid point...

"Plus's" to post (for which I gave one to both Rib and FMS) only reflects how much people liked the post, or agreed with it,(In part or its entirety) It is not a vindication of who "Right or true" that post is....

By all means have a pop at me for agreeing with some one else if it suits you, but will it stop me from doing so in the future..??

Not by a long way

Answered your own question.
      Harrisimo

• 8,318 posts | 1407 
      Reply #16649: Feb 18, 2018 01:20:20 pm
      In not replacing Coutinho Klopp has made a massive gamble on the front 3 staying fit. Which one of the front 3 could we afford to lose. Certainly not Salah. And nobody would be the least bit surprised if one of the front 3 does miss half a dozen games or more thru injury.

Didn't obviously have to be like for like. Must be confident that we have enough to cover injuries. Lets hope he's right.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16650: Feb 18, 2018 01:51:06 pm
      In not replacing Coutinho Klopp has made a massive gamble on the front 3 staying fit. Which one of the front 3 could we afford to lose. Certainly not Salah. And nobody would be the least bit surprised if one of the front 3 does miss half a dozen games or more thru injury.

Didn't obviously have to be like for like. Must be confident that we have enough to cover injuries. Lets hope he's right.
      No he has not, we have Lallana, Milner and Ox who can fit in on the wings. Coutinho going is not going to be a massive impact because we don't have that many games left. What would be nice is if we spend that money on Barcelona targets. I think that not having FA cup and League cup means he has decided to go with a smaller squad until summer. We have a maximum of 17 games left.
      « Last Edit: Feb 18, 2018 01:56:41 pm by Ribapuru »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16651: Feb 18, 2018 02:14:05 pm

No he has not, we have Lallana, Milner and Ox who can fit in on the wings.

Ings , Solanke.

Its the pace we would lack if one of the front three were injured.

Quick Reply