Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

The lack of firepower/ goals is still worrying

Read 7667 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: The lack of firepower/ goals is still worrying
      Reply #23: Oct 18, 2015 11:06:04 pm
      Take a venture into the Benteke thread and see how many had concerns over his injury record. When you're losing your top 2 scorers and your main striker is made of glass it was always going to be a bit of a gamble buying another who struggles to play 50%+ games a season.

Ings, Henderson and Firmino on top of that with loaning out Markovic, this was quite predictable.

The loss in form of Coutinho and you have a recipe for a real struggle in front of goal.

Fortunately I think Klopp isn't that interested in scoring goals at the moment, he knows it's an issue but he's addressing the team from defence upwards and that's the correct way to build a team. Sure people are going to become very frustrated watching Origi miss from 3 yards out (twice) but at the end of the day this is about implementing things for the future and right now the signs are very encouraging (albeit 1 game in).

Lallana/Coutinho/Milner don't score enough, for someone who shoots as much as he does Coutinho is bloody shocking to be honest and would be best served told not to shoot at all. Milner should probably drop to the bench and Tex or Chiravella moved into the 10 role. If we're going to score we're going to have to learn composure and both those lads bring it in abundance.

Too much of our play under Brendan was shoot from bloody anywhere, it was a joke. We need to become more like Arsenal in our offensive approach, we don't have the players who score screamers week in week out, we have proper technical players who can draw fouls and work spaces. We need to play to those strengths and show patience. As Jürgen says, the nerves or the pulse gets the better of our lads at the moment, they need to look up and find a team-mate, eventually you will create a clear goal scoring opportunity rather than just whacking it and hoping for a scorcher.

I'd bet a few quid that's the approach we will take, quality of chances over quantity, not trying to score 5 or 6 a game but consistently getting on the board with 1 or 2. When he can bring his own players in, then we might see a few more thrillers but for now stability at the back and meaningful possession in the opposition half will be the goal.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #24: Oct 19, 2015 12:18:31 am
      Natural finishers of the ball, isn't something we're equipped with at present.

We need one or two more additions who know how to put the ball in the net in my opinion.

BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #25: Oct 19, 2015 01:34:28 am
      It was interesting to see a completely new type of team fashioned out of the players we already have, and Origi leading the line completed the experience.

We've had shocking luck with injuries already. Der Trainer is being faced with tough decisions, and seeing what he gets out of the players who are fit provides an entertainment all its own. As many have forecasted there may be some tough days ahead of us but I am absolutely fascinated to see what Herr Klopp will do with this squad.

It reminds me of when I was dirt poor, how far I could stretch $20 at the supermarket. Nowadays I go in and spend ten times that and run out of food in a couple of days.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #26: Oct 19, 2015 05:44:37 am
      have some perspective. don't come on here and make a thread about how worried you are with the lack of goals when OUR BEST THREE STRIKERS ARE INJURED AND WE JUST PLAYED A KID BORN IN '95 UP FRONT, ALONE, IN HIS FIRST START IN ENGLAND. UNDER A NEW MANAGERS FIRST GAME.

how can you come on here moaning when you consider all this? or didn't you think about it?
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #27: Oct 19, 2015 07:30:11 am
      Are we forgetting Coutinho gets goals?

He's not in the best form but when he is he will score them and even l give amazing chances to divock that he won't be able to miss.

Again though WHEN FIT Can Henderson Firmino Lallana Coutinho Firmino and Sturridge can all get goals and for me they would be our starting modfielders/strikers.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #28: Oct 19, 2015 08:39:06 am
      Are we forgetting Coutinho gets goals?

He's not in the best form but when he is he will score them and even l give amazing chances to divock that he won't be able to miss.

Again though WHEN FIT Can Henderson Firmino Lallana Coutinho Firmino and Sturridge can all get goals and for me they would be our starting modfielders/strikers.

The 6 players you have named have scored 3 league goals between them this season and Sturridge got 2 of those. Last season Gerrard was our top scorer with 9 goals followed by Sterling with seven .... and we don't have a problem scoring ?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,018 posts | 3955 
      Reply #29: Oct 19, 2015 08:51:48 am
      When was this topic started?
      Before or after three of our strikers went on the injury list?
      Kinnell some people want to keep up.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #30: Oct 19, 2015 09:10:04 am
      When was this topic started?
      Before or after three of our strikers went on the injury list?
      Kinnell some people want to keep up.

The problem is it is not just our strikers who are supposed to get goals mate. But lets look at our strikers. Ings is basically out for the season, Sturridge if he stays fit will get goals but who would bet on him staying fit ? So that leaves us with Benteke who's injury record isn't brilliant and who has scored 2 goals in 6 games so far, extrapolating that would mean he gets 13 for the season. Origi  might get a few but I doubt he will see double figures.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #31: Oct 19, 2015 09:17:59 am
      Just having some bad luck with Injuries.

Benteke, Ings, Firmino & studger all due back next weekend at the worst.

Then Hendo will be back next month, he provides goals & assists.

Klopp has right idea, stop leaking silly goals, then we can maybe start winning some one nils.
      « Last Edit: Oct 19, 2015 11:59:26 am by brezipool, Reason: forgot the Danny Ings. :-) »
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #32: Oct 19, 2015 09:20:19 am
      Dortmund got goals from midfield. I expect Lallana to figure, and coutinho and any other midfielder who can score.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #33: Oct 19, 2015 10:48:16 am
      have some perspective. don't come on here and make a thread about how worried you are with the lack of goals when OUR BEST THREE STRIKERS ARE INJURED AND WE JUST PLAYED A KID BORN IN '95 UP FRONT, ALONE, IN HIS FIRST START IN ENGLAND. UNDER A NEW MANAGERS FIRST GAME.

how can you come on here moaning when you consider all this? or didn't you think about it?

Wow... You've used caps in all the wrong places.

I think most peoples concerns are that most of us knew Benteke had injury worries. We all know Sturridge has injury worries so it's a bit annoying when fans can see that any injury to Ings we may be up sh*t creek and then that's exactly what happens. We're in this mess because of the signings and although I think Benteke is a fantastic player, his injuries were a concern for myself and a large amount of others.

So it's a bit ignorant for you to come in here and claim others are being ignorant without even reading what people are saying. Don't be a hypocrite.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34: Oct 19, 2015 01:09:30 pm
      I'm not concerned at all, we've a new manager at the helm so its a free pass until next summer at the earliest, what ever happens this season, happens, if we get top 4 great, if not we can have a proper crack at it next season.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #35: Oct 19, 2015 01:17:45 pm

Benteke, Ings, Firmino & studger all due back next weekend at the worst.

Ings back next weekend? Who worked that miracle?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #36: Oct 19, 2015 03:40:37 pm
      Ings back next weekend? Who worked that miracle?

are you doubting the healing hands of Klopp??? Ings is out for the season i think. Sturridge is one tackle away from an injury neither Benteke or Origi will do the job Hurgen wants so its a bit hit and miss until january...Pity we didnt have an academy
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,308 posts | 768 
      Reply #37: Oct 19, 2015 08:22:02 pm
      Good start with a clean sheet against the Spuds, if Klopp sorts out the defence, confidence will return. Players coming back from injury, surely the goals will start to come.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #38: Oct 19, 2015 09:16:13 pm
      are you doubting the healing hands of Klopp??? Ings is out for the season i think. Sturridge is one tackle away from an injury neither Benteke or Origi will do the job Hurgen wants so its a bit hit and miss until january...Pity we didnt have an academy

Probably unfair to write Benteke off before he's even kicked a ball for the new manager....

All we need is one of Studge/Benteke fit at any given time and we'll be OK
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #39: Oct 19, 2015 09:22:29 pm
      Sturridge, Benteke, Ings, Firmino, Henderson. You're always going to have trouble scoring when you are missing that much creativity. The goals will come but with your 4th striker playing and your leader in assists last season missing significant time you are going to struggle. If Suarez, Rakitic, Messi were missing for Barcelona they would have trouble scoring as well

Iniesta, Neymar,Arda Turan,Rafinha, all are very capable of scoring should  Suarez, Rakitic, Messi, and I am pretty sure that they have some excellent young players capable of filling the void. And therein lies the difference between LFC and Barca....
      We do not have that wealth of talent at our disposal. hopefully Herr Klopp will go about putting things rigth in that department too
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #40: Oct 19, 2015 10:39:30 pm
      Probably unfair to write Benteke off before he's even kicked a ball for the new manager....

How have I written him off I said he isnt a Klopp type of footballer but maybe he can adjust. I just have this vision of Ian Rush in this team he would be perfect and that is who we need a new Ian Rush
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #41: Oct 20, 2015 08:35:41 am
      How have I written him off I said he isnt a Klopp type of footballer but maybe he can adjust. I just have this vision of Ian Rush in this team he would be perfect and that is who we need a new Ian Rush

If you can't get Ian Rush Roger Hunt would do.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #42: Oct 20, 2015 09:18:24 am

Im hopefull this is the case
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #43: Oct 20, 2015 09:36:03 am
      people keep saying benteke is not klopp's type of player, he tried to sign him for Dortmund ffs.

Big man will do fine.

Can see him or studger coming off the bench at wknd at least.

Just stick with Origi, until studger & Big Ben are 100%
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #44: Oct 20, 2015 10:12:21 am
      people keep saying benteke is not klopp's type of player, he tried to sign him for Dortmund ffs.

Big man will do fine.

Can see him or studger coming off the bench at wknd at least.

Just stick with Origi, until studger & Big Ben are 100%

I don't think we have much option, unless the Boss can come up with striker converted to do the job.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #45: Oct 20, 2015 10:53:49 am
      and secondly begs the question of why are we so reliant on the same one or two players for the goals?

But aren't all teams reliant on 'one or two' for the majority of their goals?  :-\

Quick Reply