Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Captain and Vice Captain.

Read 19402 times
      MsGerrard
      Captain and Vice Captain.
      Oct 18, 2015 11:13:39 pm
      There's been quite a lot of talk lately over a possible new Captain since Jürgen took over, I'd be more than happy to keep Jordan as our Captain, but for me it's the role of the vice captain that is under discussion, I like James Milner, but I have to say, I was a little surprised when he was made vice captain after only being at the club for 5 minutes, I think if I was Lucas or Skrtel, I'd be a bit cross that I'd not been chosen....so how do you think Milner has performed since taking over from Hendo?

Will Jürgen keep Hendo and Milner as Captain and Vice or will he have his own idea's as to who he wants?

For me, I would keep Hendo but have Lucas as my Vice Captain, for me he is Liverpool through and through, does a tremendous amount of work for the club and is a real role model for everyone to look up to.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Captain and Vice Captain.
      Reply #1: Oct 18, 2015 11:25:28 pm
      Captain Lucas has a nice ring to it :) My original choice with Hendo as vice, but I understand why Rodgers left Lucas out as he probably felt he was surpass requirements.

Can't see Klopp changing it until next season, but I hope he does and give Lucas the armband, but then again, that would be bad for morale, wouldn't it?

Also, if someone could correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Toure always ahead of Lucas for captaincy under Rodgers?
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #2: Oct 18, 2015 11:32:28 pm
      I think looking at the match yesterday Lucas was very vocal and very much trying to lead by example. I completely agree with MsG, the Milner choice took me by surprise. I can understand the reasoning but for now let the lad focus on settling into the club.

I think it's worth giving a shout to Sakho here too. Already captained France, leads by example and has that burning passion that we all love to see.

Still happy with Hendo as captain though.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #3: Oct 18, 2015 11:49:08 pm
      For me Henderson is not captain material. He goes missing way too often.

Lucas would be my ideal candidate but he's not a gaurenteed first team starter so it's a difficult one to pick.

To be honest, there is no clear choice is there?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,507 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4: Oct 18, 2015 11:52:08 pm
      Really don't see the captaincy thing as a big deal, just tossing a coin essentially
      MsGerrard
      Reply #5: Oct 18, 2015 11:52:29 pm
      I think looking at the match yesterday Lucas was very vocal and very much trying to lead by example. I completely agree with MsG, the Milner choice took me by surprise. I can understand the reasoning but for now let the lad focus on settling into the club.

I think it's worth giving a shout to Sakho here too. Already captained France, leads by example and has that burning passion that we all love to see.

Still happy with Hendo as captain though.

Seen a lot of people praising Sakho, wouldnt be against him taking the VC, although I think Lucas has the edge because of his experience, be very interesting to see what Klopp goes with, may not do anything at all of course, or may not change till next season...
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Oct 19, 2015 12:09:50 am
      Boss discussion this, MsG.

I'm really annoyed that any player can become vice captain as soon as they join the club. Should never happen under any circumstance.

To be captain, or vice captain, you need to have a true devotion for the club. There's a big element of trust for me with this. Employing a captain or vice captain who has no true devotion to the club and more importantly to what the fans stand for, shows terrible management.

It's not too far away from inviting a stranger into your house to mind the kids..

That might sound over the top. But at the end of the day, trust is something sacred and the players need to be able to trust their stand in captain. How the F**k can you trust someone who's just walked in from the bench at city?

In terms of who should be captain and vice captain, then it's difficult to come to a conclusion. Henderson is probably not my choice as he caved in to a pen decision, once. After that, I just thought he might still have some attributes, but maybe he hasn't got the personality to be a true leader. Your captain needs to be a true leader in every sense.

Going on what you see on the pitch, I'd have Lucas leader and Sakho as vice captain.

Lucas has been here a long time and has shown extraordinary adversity to being a scapegoat in his early years for all that went wrong (and not being Brazilliant). That shows a lot of guts for me. What a shame that injury happened to him. He's got guts, everyone likes him and Klopp was talking to him for about half an hour after the final whistle the other day..

Sakho, been here two years and is really becoming the stand out defender in our team. I was really unsure about him when he first arrived because his body language was all wrong when he was on the ball. He looks far more assured now and his personality, passion and stuff he does off the pitch just says to me, he's someone you can trust.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7: Oct 19, 2015 12:38:02 am
      Lucas  Captain.

Emre Can  VC  to grow into captains role.

(Just for fun Jürgen can give Can secret messages  ......  that'll fool the opposition)

;D
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #8: Oct 19, 2015 02:13:15 am
      Lucas as vice-captain would have been an ideal choice as of now - the fans like him in particular.

But I didn't think Lucas would be at the club, as he was out of favour the last couple of years somewhat with Brendan. And I have to say I had doubts about him continuing - however, that wasn't helped by including Gerrard alongside him in many matches so their lack of pace was going to be exposed by other teams (and it was). Ideally, Lucas or Gerrard should have always been partnered by someone with a bit more pace to them.

The thing is with Lucas is that everytime he has been written off and that it looks like his time at Liverpool is up (and I include myself in that) he has come back with a sensational string of performances. Certainly with his ability to come back in the team and show up many is just the type of character Liverpool need.

He's proven the doubters wrong time and time again. While I wouldn't have him captain as I think giving it to a younger player like Henderson is the sensible long term option, he is definitely our most capable deputy.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #9: Oct 19, 2015 02:49:30 am

Agreed 100%.  Although to be fair to Henderson (and to Rodgers), there really isn't any one player who can make a case for being captain 100%.  Henderson was sort of a least-worst option.

I would make Lucas captain if he were guaranteed to start every game.  But he's not.

So instead of him I would give it to Sakho.  Sakho shows passion, doesn't go missing like Henderson, is vocal, etc etc.

Make Lucas vice-captain.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #10: Oct 19, 2015 05:44:19 am
      Skrtel and Lucas. Simple. Skrtel makes some mistakes but he is a top defender and deserves his place in the starting 11 unlike many players. He has been here for so long. As for Lucas, he is simply a top class player who is an excellent DM although he is not spectacular. He has shown determination and talent which has forced every manager to put him in the starting 11.

Hendo would deserve to be captain only if he was playing as no.10 and contributed more to the goals. Playing as CM and rarely influencing the game is not good enough for a LFC captain independently of how well you do the CM job.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #11: Oct 19, 2015 06:55:32 am
      I'd go with who is likely to be on the pitch the most when  deciding on Hendo,  Lucas and Sakho. I think taking it from Hendo completely would do more damage than good.

Sakho with Hendo as Vice. Lucas will be the same voice and presence on the pitch with or without it I reckon.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Oct 19, 2015 08:18:20 am
      Will go with your choices Cas. Hendo Captain Lucas VC and Couts Deputy VC.

In agreeance that Milner after only being here 5 minutes doesn't deserve the VC job and if I was Skrtel or Lucas, I'd be pretty pissed off.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #13: Oct 19, 2015 10:03:40 am
      Will go with your choices Cas. Hendo Captain Lucas VC and Couts Deputy VC.

In agreeance that Milner after only being here 5 minutes doesn't deserve the VC job and if I was Skrtel or Lucas, I'd be pretty pissed off.

No offence but I wouldn't have Coutinho anywhere near a captaincy role/hierarchy. He needs to focus on his football and start improving his performances first. He doesn't need anymore added pressure.

When Milner first took over the vice-captaincy I could sort of see why Brendan would do it. He saw Milner as somebody who had won trophies at a previous club and could lead by example. I also just thought let's go with it because at the time there weren't that many stand outs. Lucas wasn't certain to be here much longer and very nearly wasn't, Sakho wasn't certain to even be in the team and Skrtel couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery nevermind a defence/team. Right now though, I'd definitely give the vice-captaincy to Sakho.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #14: Oct 19, 2015 10:15:30 am
      Dont like Milner as a vice captain,it would be interesting to see Sakho as a VC.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #15: Oct 19, 2015 10:18:50 am
      I can't see any immediate change as for me a captain has to be a mainstay of the team and at this moment we don't really know how that would pan out under a new regime.

I see Hendo as a typical Klopp player with his energy and I can see him keeping the armband.  As for Vice, if he can kick on from the impressive start under Klopp on Saturday then I can see Can making a case for this.  As much as I like the way he gives everything for us I can't see Lucas being as regular a fixture in the team long term as some others and that would probably rule him out for me.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #16: Oct 19, 2015 10:43:31 am
      Hendo is a fantastic captain. He puts in the most work, he has the determination and now the experience with the band too. We are a noticeably worse team without him. Not up for debate in my eyes.

I agree with Cas about the VC. Although Milner has been a solid player and earned praise from his peers and others... You can't just walk in here and be expected to lead out the team when the skipper is injured. That has to be earned at Liverpool FC not outside of it. I'd have to agree with Lucas or Sakho. Think they have shown themselves to be leaders on the pitch and Lucas in particular has been fantastic off it.

Oh and if I ever see Kolo Toure with the captains armband on again I think I'll blow a gasket.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,599 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #17: Oct 19, 2015 10:45:54 am

Lucas would be my ideal candidate but he's not a gaurenteed first team starter so it's a difficult one to pick.

To be honest, there is no clear choice is there?

Funny you say that cos we are really missing hendo just now.

So yes he has gone missing with an injury. ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,599 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #18: Oct 19, 2015 10:48:26 am
      Captain is hendo for this season end off.

I cannot see Klopp changing this until the summer if at all.

We have many vice captains btw. Milner, and then we have skrtel, lucas, sakho & Kolo, all been given captains role depending on who is starting, and who is fit.

Basically all of the experienced guys are vice captains. YA !

that works fine for me.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #19: Oct 19, 2015 10:52:30 am
      I think Brendan did go for Milner as vice due to his experience but I doubt he thought we would be without Hendo for so long through injury and therefore Milner having to step into the breach.

I can't see Jürgen changing anything this season though, he has enough things to sort out without being weighed down with that decision.  I can see it happening in the summer but it's not yet obvious who might get it.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #20: Oct 19, 2015 12:17:02 pm
      All great clubs have leaders throughout there teams whether they're wearing the armband or not, we are currently lacking massively in leaders throughout our squad. Nothing I've read above tells me otherwise either, the fact people are debating 'x' over 'y' when in all honesty neither are true leaders. It really should show as much as adding quality, we need to add strong characters and leaders to our dressing rooms.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #21: Oct 19, 2015 12:31:45 pm
      All great clubs have leaders throughout there teams whether they're wearing the armband or not, we are currently lacking massively in leaders throughout our squad. Nothing I've read above tells me otherwise either, the fact people are debating 'x' over 'y' when in all honesty neither are true leaders. It really should show as much as adding quality, we need to add strong characters and leaders to our dressing rooms.

Sakho, after watching him in the Derby and the way he went about his business at Tottenham, I'd make him captain, he's the leader of that team, no doubt.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #22: Oct 19, 2015 12:33:38 pm

Who is this x and y then?

Quick Reply