Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Pre Match: Liverpool v Rubin Kazan - Thurs 22/10 20:05 ko

Read 12543 times
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Pre Match: Liverpool v Rubin Kazan - Thurs 22/10 20:05 ko
      Oct 19, 2015 04:37:33 pm

After waiting what felt like an eternity for Klopps first match, his second is just 4 days away. It will be interesting to see where the Europa League fits into Klopp's priorities.

Our first glimpse of Klopps european aspirations come against Rubin Kazan. Currently 12th in the Russian Premier League and bottom of Group B, they are not exactly in flying form at the moment. They are finding goals hard to come by at the moment (not entirely different to ourselves). In 12 league games they have scored 11 goals and conceded 18. In those 12 games they have failed to score 5 times. But of course they won their last match 3-1 against second from bottom Fk Ufa. Last time out in Europe they drew 0-0 with Bordeaux, hitting the woodwork twice near the end of the game. They seem to usually play a 4-2-3-1 in Russia but against Bordeaux they went 4-4-2:

I imagine they will look for something similar at Anfield. If that is the case there could be a few changes, the bitters old mate Bilyaletdinov has played for them 8 times this season and scored two goals, Nabilliun at LB is actually a midfielder, they have  20 year old called Cotungo who has featured 10 times who could come in in his place. And Kannunikov at RW is a forward by trade. Away from home could see Georgiev reintroduced to solidify the midfield for them.

For us I think they key to this game will be how we work down the wings, Kuzmin is 34 years old and as I say Nabilliun isn't actually a LB, and is a very young 20 years old. In my opinion we have the quality, pace and power to make the most of this. But at the same time we need to be solid. I would look at going with:

I know we have Benteke, Sturridge and Firminho back in training this week, but I don't think we need to rush them in for this. A few minutes in the second half for whoever is the sharpest should be plenty. I think the back 5 picks itself in terms of a solid unit. And it also allows us to use the attacking capabilities of Clyne and Moreno out wide, where I feel we can hurt them most. Skrtel and Sakho are our best combination, and although Kazans strikers haven't been the most potent yet, it's not a risk to take. 3 points and a clean sheet are there for us if we play our game and keep our focus.

The two central midfielders is very much up for debate. I feel both Can and Allen have the engines for Klopps game as well as the creative spark for when we do get the ball in more threatening areas. It may seem harsh on Lucas after how well he played on Saturday, but I think we will see more of the ball here and as such, I think Can and Allens attributes would suit better.

Out wide I think Milner and Ibe interchanging can cause plenty of problems, especially if Clyne and Moreno are overlapping. Milner may not be overly happy but like I say, I think Can and Allen suit better in the middle of the park, and Milners aggression and experience can open space and Ibes pace and power will cause them all sorts of problems.

Teixiera behind the striker is a left field shout but his inclusion in Saturdays squad shows Klopp has ideas about him. Coutinho isn't at his best right now and is playing a lot of football, a rest here will do him no harm. Teixiera has shown plenty of glimpses of his promise, here is another chance, if he gets the required support from those around him, he should get the space to work. He has that little pass in him that could unlock a defence or a turn that will create space, let him express that.

As I said about Sturridge and Benteke, there's no need to rush them back. Whoever is the sharper can get 15 minutes if necessary, but for this Origi deserves his reward for a solid display on Saturday. He impressed with his hold up play and work down the channels. From what I can see, Rubins defence is nowhere near that of Spurs at the moment. He will get more opportunities and he showed glimpses that he can take them.

The bench could be very strong if we wanted but it is also another great chance to introduce some young blood again. As such I think we will be well balanced with a bench of:
      Bogdan, Toure, Lucas, Rossiter, Sinclair, Coutinho, Sturridge.

A solid performance again, anything close to what we showed on Saturday and we have more than enough quality to get the three points. I am going with a 2-0 here, Origi and Milner with the goals.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Re: Pre Match: Liverpool v Rubin Kazan - Thurs 22/10 20:05 ko
      Reply #1: Oct 19, 2015 05:27:49 pm
      Good OP I can't disagree with what you have posted maybe give Benteke a run out as we really need the 3 points and Sturridge for the second half.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #2: Oct 19, 2015 05:37:30 pm
      Actually I wouldn't mind if young Coutinho gets another start. Can, Lucas and Lallana worked their socks off, esp the latter played 2 90 min games with England. We need them again at their best for the weekend. So did Milner but we run out of options.

Someone like Markovic would have been a great alternative for these Thursday games. And unfortunately, Tex wasn't registered in the Europa League squad and Enrique was left out as well. Young Rossiter is injured.

Based on the squad he took to White Hart Lane, and assuming Benteke, Sturridge and Firmino don't make the bench, I'll go for this -

Mignolet
      Clyne-Skrtel-Sakho-Moreno
      Allen-Chirivella
      Milner-Coutinho-Ibe
      Origi

Subs- Bogdan, Toure, Randall, Can, Lucas, Lallana, Sinclair
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Oct 19, 2015 05:48:26 pm
      Teixiera behind the striker is a left field shout but his inclusion in Saturdays squad shows Klopp has ideas about him. Coutinho isn't at his best right now and is playing a lot of football, a rest here will do him no harm. Teixiera has shown plenty of glimpses of his promise, here is another chance, if he gets the required support from those around him, he should get the space to work. He has that little pass in him that could unlock a defence or a turn that will create space, let him express that.

Good OP mate unfortunately as much as most of us would like to see Tex playing in this, he can't as he's not registered for the EL.

I'd stick with Origi up front too, no point rushing Studge and Benteke back and he should have enough with Origi to beat these.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4: Oct 19, 2015 06:06:58 pm
      I would probably give Benteke a run out if he is fit enough. He hasn't played for a few weeks now and this might be a good game to give him a bit of match fitness.Especially as this is a game that we really need to be winning if we are to have thoughts of progressing. I think Klopp will make quite a few changes ....get to see some more players in action.

Mignolet

Clyne                 Toure             Lovren            Moreno

Allen        Can

Ibe                       Lallana              Milner

Benteke 

Origi to take over from Benteke when he gets knackered.

Should be an easy win 2-0

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Oct 19, 2015 07:48:52 pm
      this is the match where RED fans can show Jürgen klopp what he means to them, and our players give a display to thank the fans for supporting them. Got to go for a win here
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,326 posts | 773 
      Reply #6: Oct 19, 2015 07:59:10 pm
      Going for a win here, also a great opportunity for the crowd to show our new manager, their support. Wish that I could be at Anfield for the game tbh.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #7: Oct 19, 2015 08:02:31 pm
      Going for a win here, also a great opportunity for the crowd to show our new manager, their support. Wish that I could be at Anfield for the game tbh.

If we don't win this then something is wrong because Rubin Kazan are tragic.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #8: Oct 19, 2015 08:02:47 pm
      No way I risk Sturridge for this one either. On the bench is OK, but I definitely wouldn't be opposed to Origi getting another 90 minutes.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #9: Oct 19, 2015 08:05:41 pm
      No way I risk Sturridge for this one either. On the bench is OK, but I definitely wouldn't be opposed to Origi getting another 90 minutes.

As long as we win with Origi in the team playing 90 minutes because we can't afford to keep dropping silly points to sh*t teams.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #10: Oct 19, 2015 09:08:42 pm
      Think we need to start with Origi, and give Studge and or Big Ben, 20 mins if we are not winning. Most important get the win, but not at the expense of players breaking down because they came back to soon and tried to do too much to early.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #11: Oct 19, 2015 09:37:20 pm
      Cheers Debs & Vicks, apologies, didn't do my homework about eligible players.

In that case I would still rest Coutinho, I felt a bit harsh leaving Lallana out too after his performance on Saturday, so I would be happy for him to take that spot.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #12: Oct 19, 2015 09:46:55 pm

catch 22 because he needs to be match fit I would let him play 60 mins ready for the weekend
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: Oct 19, 2015 09:58:27 pm
      catch 22 because he needs to be match fit I would let him play 60 mins ready for the weekend

To be honest with you the reliability of Sturridge is so dire that when he's fit then just play him. He'll inevitably get injured in training between Thursday and Saturday anyway. If he injures himself on Thursday then we're merely bringing forward that inevitability.

Going to have to think long term on this and ask whether it's worth relying on Danny anymore. We're going to have to start looking elsewhere for a top quality striker.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #14: Oct 19, 2015 10:37:02 pm
      To be honest with you the reliability of Sturridge is so dire that when he's fit then just play him. He'll inevitably get injured in training between Thursday and Saturday anyway. If he injures himself on Thursday then we're merely bringing forward that inevitability.

Going to have to think long term on this and ask whether it's worth relying on Danny anymore. We're going to have to start looking elsewhere for a top quality striker.

I agree if he isnt in his hospital bed get him on the f***in pitch
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #15: Oct 19, 2015 10:44:24 pm
      Since Sturridge's injury seems to be a knock rather than a strain, I'd start him for this one if he's feeling alright as it's a must win. Try and get 60 minutes out of him and then let Origi have a go against tired defenders. Benteke's the one I'd be more careful about considering his injury is a hamstring.

As I said it's a game we really need to be winning if we want to get through so I can see Jürgen going with a strong team here (don't want to be needing results in Sion or Kazan to go through).

Mignolet; Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno; Allen, Can; Milner, Lallana, Ibe; Sturridge.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #16: Oct 19, 2015 10:59:31 pm
      Sturridge has something like a 150 games since 2006 which is crazy as good as he is( and he is very very good) we need to start getting more from him. Who wouldn't have liked to be a fly on the wall of melwood when Jürgen was discussing his squad after the weekends game
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #17: Oct 19, 2015 11:21:57 pm
      Sturridge has something like a 150 games since 2006 which is crazy as good as he is( and he is very very good) we need to start getting more from him. Who wouldn't have liked to be a fly on the wall of melwood when Jürgen was discussing his squad after the weekends game

If it was paid per game he has to be one of the best paid players on the planet.

Such a shame but a good reason why many can actually see us cashing in on him. I remember having a conversation not too long ago on here where someone was suggesting he was £40m+ when I maintained that he was £25m+ dependent on injuries, right now do you think we'd get much more than £30m for him?

Amazing striker when he plays in terms of goals to games ratio but how many would honestly, hand on heart swap him for someone who isn't injury prone and scores regularly 1 in 2?!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,599 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #18: Oct 20, 2015 08:29:38 am
      Don't see klopp changing team much apart for fitness reasons. Maybe give 1 or 2 younger lads a start.
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #19: Oct 20, 2015 09:17:59 am
      Bogdan

Clyne
      Skrtel (c)
      Toure
      Moreno

Allen
      Emre Can

Ibe
      Coutinho
      Lallana

Origi

Subs: Mignolet; Randall, Lovren; Milner, Brannagan; Benteke, Sinclair.

Shame we don't have Enrique and Texeira registered, as they could of been involved in the squad. 

However I still think we have more than enough to win this game.

3-0 to us - Origi, Coutinho and Benteke scoring the goals.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #20: Oct 20, 2015 09:43:23 am
      just win :)
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #21: Oct 20, 2015 10:13:01 am
      If it was paid per game he has to be one of the best paid players on the planet.

Such a shame but a good reason why many can actually see us cashing in on him. I remember having a conversation not too long ago on here where someone was suggesting he was £40m+ when I maintained that he was £25m+ dependent on injuries, right now do you think we'd get much more than £30m for him?

Amazing striker when he plays in terms of goals to games ratio but how many would honestly, hand on heart swap him for someone who isn't injury prone and scores regularly 1 in 2?!

he is at an age now where he should be strong enough to cope with the demands and maybe we are doing him a disservice and he will be fine but I dont think wrapping him up win cotton wool is the way to go we need to see if he can do his job. If he isnt a regular by Christmas we have to look at him becoming an impact sub. Thursday is a must for him to play get a few  goals come off after an hour and feel good for the weekend game.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #22: Oct 20, 2015 11:14:54 am
      There has been reports in the past from people like Carra that Sturridge is the sort of player who won't play unless he feels 100% fit.
      How many top players are always 100% fit? They almost always have some sort of niggle.

I accept Sturridge has had some serious injuries but like the little knock last week it makes you wonder would Suarez even had brought that up with the physio?

Quick Reply