Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      14 (18.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      7 (9.5%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      3 (4.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (1.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      8 (10.8%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Jordon Ibe
      23 (31.1%)
      Adam Lallana
      4 (5.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      12 (16.2%)
      Christian Benteke
      1 (1.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: Nov 15, 2015 06:08:50 pm

Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match debate

Read 31404 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,530 posts | 1517 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Crystal Palace
      Reply #460: Nov 08, 2015 06:00:40 pm
      In a funny way, that could be the best thing to happen to us

No illusions now, that coming down to earth with a bump would have woken everyone up to the task at hand

He was never going to change us over night, this will take time and everyone now knows the score.

YNWA
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #461: Nov 08, 2015 06:00:52 pm
      It was a decent performance. I don't care what anyone else says. Had enough chances to win that, but certainly shouldn't have lost. Migs has once again proven why he SHOULDN'T be our starting keeper. Their winner was completely his fault. Could have easily caught the ball, but gave a weak punch. Can at fault for their first and deserves to be benched for a while. We had multiple chances to kill that game off but once again we rue our lack of composure in front of goal.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #462: Nov 08, 2015 06:01:13 pm
      Man City next
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #463: Nov 08, 2015 06:01:20 pm
      My thought exactly, when I saw that. Klopp saw that too, and he must have thought the same thing. Pathetic.

Embarrassing right in front of the manager. Really embarrassed thanks to the prawn sandwich brigade - what must he be thinking about our supporters after that?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #464: Nov 08, 2015 06:06:58 pm
      Embarrassing right in front of the manager. Really embarrassed thanks to the prawn sandwich brigade - what must he be thinking about our supporters after that?

Perhaps he's thinking that a few of them have travelled a long way to see a Liverpool team who yet again can't produce a dangerous corner or score a goal if their lives depended on it, plus maybe he realises that a few of them want to get their cars from the car parks before all the roads get jammed and they have to add an extra 40 minutes to their journey time home.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #465: Nov 08, 2015 06:08:33 pm
      I've not been blaming Brendan for defeats, I backed him as the manager to do well but it's clear to see that I don't think we are capable of so many games over a prolonged period. It's important for Klopp this season to lay the foundations, get a good fitness regime on the go and we will be able to tackle these games with a bit more vigour and confidence.

It would have helped if we had a few more quality players in the squad mate. Once you get past about 15 players we are really dropping a level and I am not that confident in a few in those 15 either. We either have to put out a weakened team or suffer a little tiredness as we just don't have any strength in depth in the squad.

Be better once our walking wounded are fit but we still need to find someone to start putting away the chances ...I'm back to waiting for Sturridge to get fit :(   
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,673 posts | 6966 
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #466: Nov 08, 2015 06:11:13 pm
      Emre Can bollocks for their first, bollocks marking for their second and a great assist from Simon Spillgnolet.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #467: Nov 08, 2015 06:12:11 pm
      Disappointing to go into the international break on a loss but it wasn't as bad a performance as the scoreline suggests.

26 Shots to their 13
      14 Corners to their 6

We were actually pretty dominant for most of the match after the first 20 minutes or so. Benteke could have filled his boots, he had 5 or 6 opportunities at least one of those has to go in, simply not good enough and I'm honestly not sure he's going to make it here. You can talk all you want about the injuries or the 1 in 2 ratio but what he gives you out there on the pitch just isn't good enough at the moment. Very disappointed in him for the second game running.

Mig: Awful keeper, his goals conceded to shots taken again bloody terrible. His distribution woeful again and generally our weakest link. Bogdan deserves to be starting without a single question in my mind. 4

Clyne: MotM for me, thought he was superb in tandem with Ibe, really good player we have here and deserved to be on the winning side. Love his effort, love his reading of the game. 8

Skrtel: Also had a decent game, put in some proper crunching challenges, showed good pace to keep with Bolaisie, something some of our other players struggled to do, very consistent today, well played. 7.5

Sakho: While he was on was dominant, one absolutely towering header just before his injury, hope he gets back with us soon. Hard to score on such few minutes. 7

Moreno: Sometimes looks great, sometimes frustrates but consistently puts in sh*t crosses. If we're to play in this style we need much more end product from him, they're just so F***ing random, I think he tries to hit them with too much whip and power, it's not about style it's about substance and that is lacking with his crosses. 6

Lucas: Controlled his area of the pitch very well, got forward and supported when possible and had a meaty shot deflected over on the volley. Wasn't helped by his partner Can who kept just letting people waltz by him all game long. 7

Can: Shocking, diabolical display, should be embarrassed about how he played out there. The lack of any substance whatsoever in anything he did frustrated the living sh*te out of me today and I hope Klopp ripped into him in no uncertain terms. 2

Coutinho: Had a much better second half that he did in the first and that's including the goal, thought he generally passed the ball with much more accuracy and style as the match progressed and was one of our better players by the time the game finished. 7

Lallana: Pretty poor for the first half, did well in the second without offering enough of a goal threat. He looks good when in difficult technical situations but still frustrates with the vital end product. 7

Ibe: Thought he had another cracking game, decision making is the biggest improvement in this lad and it really is showing. Tried to delay the pass many times when the options weren't on and picked out some crackers, carried the ball most effectively of any of our players and impressed again. 7.5

Benteke: Really poor throughout the game, didn't put enough effort into his running in and around the box. Seemed be strolling for most of the game and didn't take any of his many chances with conviction or style. Very disappointing, thought he would have been subbed off much earlier if it wasn't Origi as the only option on the bench. Could have had 4 or 5 today and ends up with 0, not good enough, not even close to. 4

Lovren: Looked ok again but didn't, in truth, have too much to do where he was under any pressure. 6.5

Firmino: Livened up our attack and think he should have perhaps been on a touch earlier, maybe his fitness isn't quite up to the level to ask more of him and that might be the reason he didn't come on earlier. Some lovely interchanges and was one of the only attacking mids who was willing to go beyond Benteke, encouraging, should be starting as soon as possible. 7

Origi: Looks a little more suited to the wide area and that might in the end be the position he finds himself developing into. 6

Klopp: Visibly frustrated for much of the game, constantly barking at the lads and I honestly think he'll have a harsh word or two for more than one of them. I felt both Can and Benteke let him down badly and Can more than Big Ben may come to regret that in terms of starting minutes he'll get moving forward. Benteke wont simply because of our lack of options but both those lads might have tasted the first real roasting of the Klopp era I believe because we should be walking away with the 3 points, not losing them all there and people saying the performance as a whole was shocking are quite simply wrong.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #468: Nov 08, 2015 06:15:40 pm
      We were out defended !
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #469: Nov 08, 2015 06:16:57 pm
      Two cute fatal passes/clearances by Lucas and Can led to the first goal while Mignolet inconsistency is going to cost us points from time to time. He must be told to punch the ball harder the next time or catch it properly.  We didn;t do enough, too casual and allowed them to score, simply as that.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,277 posts | 930 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #470: Nov 08, 2015 06:18:50 pm
      14 corners and F**k all to show hope Klopp will get some training in on set plays
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #471: Nov 08, 2015 06:19:22 pm
      Just a pity Milner didn't play ... then we would really have had someone to blame.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,277 posts | 930 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #472: Nov 08, 2015 06:20:17 pm
      Two cute fatal passes/clearances by Lucas and Can led to the first goal while Mignolet inconsistency is going to cost us points from time to time. He must be told to punch the ball harder the next time or catch it properly. 

Mignonette should be shown the door hopefully in January
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #473: Nov 08, 2015 06:21:21 pm
      It would have helped if we had a few more quality players in the squad mate. Once you get past about 15 players we are really dropping a level and I am not that confident in a few in those 15 either. We either have to put out a weakened team or suffer a little tiredness as we just don't have any strength in depth in the squad.

Be better once our walking wounded are fit but we still need to find someone to start putting away the chances ...I'm back to waiting for Sturridge to get fit :(   

Well I'll give you that for sure about the lack of strength in depth. Mignolet was just appalling - there is no point in raising our hopes for him after an excellent performance because then he drops the ball again (metaphorically and literally) and he just lets us down again and again and again. There is no consistency there, and he's been here for long enough to make a sound judgement.

Sakho came off, and the lack of authority and leadership with Lovren was shocking to see and stark in comparison to Sakho. Another waste of money from Brendan Rodgers, and for such a huge sum, it is a nightmare.

But I'm not blaming Brendan's signings all tonight - Moreno has a massive problem with consistency, was terrible today while Can was the worst of the bunch and was just appalling and looks sluggish in comparison to most Premier League players.

So yet more questions have to be asked of this transfer committee and those responsible in it MUST be held to account IF a top class manager like Klopp cannot improve these players. Because if there are more proven mistakes from the committee come the end of the season when we can judge fairly the raft of committee signings who arrived last year, then surely the committee will have to go.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #474: Nov 08, 2015 06:21:25 pm
      14 corners and f**k all to show hope Klopp will get some training in on set plays

Our set pieces in general are diabolical. They're so bad that it's probably advantageous for the opposition to give us a corner rather than win themselves a goal-kick.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #475: Nov 08, 2015 06:24:15 pm
      Disappointing to go into the international break on a loss but it wasn't as bad a performance as the scoreline suggests.

26 Shots to their 13
      14 Corners to their 6

We were actually pretty dominant for most of the match after the first 20 minutes or so. Benteke could have filled his boots, he had 5 or 6 opportunities at least one of those has to go in, simply not good enough and I'm honestly not sure he's going to make it here. You can talk all you want about the injuries or the 1 in 2 ratio but what he gives you out there on the pitch just isn't good enough at the moment. Very disappointed in him for the second game running.

Mig: Awful keeper, his goals conceded to shots taken again bloody terrible. His distribution woeful again and generally our weakest link. Bogdan deserves to be starting without a single question in my mind. 4

Clyne: MotM for me, thought he was superb in tandem with Ibe, really good player we have here and deserved to be on the winning side. Love his effort, love his reading of the game. 8

Skrtel: Also had a decent game, put in some proper crunching challenges, showed good pace to keep with Bolaisie, something some of our other players struggled to do, very consistent today, well played. 7.5

Sakho: While he was on was dominant, one absolutely towering header just before his injury, hope he gets back with us soon. Hard to score on such few minutes. 7

Moreno: Sometimes looks great, sometimes frustrates but consistently puts in sh*t crosses. If we're to play in this style we need much more end product from him, they're just so f**king random, I think he tries to hit them with too much whip and power, it's not about style it's about substance and that is lacking with his crosses. 6

Lucas: Controlled his area of the pitch very well, got forward and supported when possible and had a meaty shot deflected over on the volley. Wasn't helped by his partner Can who kept just letting people waltz by him all game long. 7

Can: Shocking, diabolical display, should be embarrassed about how he played out there. The lack of any substance whatsoever in anything he did frustrated the living sh*te out of me today and I hope Klopp ripped into him in no uncertain terms. 2

Coutinho: Had a much better second half that he did in the first and that's including the goal, thought he generally passed the ball with much more accuracy and style as the match progressed and was one of our better players by the time the game finished. 7

Lallana: Pretty poor for the first half, did well in the second without offering enough of a goal threat. He looks good when in difficult technical situations but still frustrates with the vital end product. 7

Ibe: Thought he had another cracking game, decision making is the biggest improvement in this lad and it really is showing. Tried to delay the pass many times when the options weren't on and picked out some crackers, carried the ball most effectively of any of our players and impressed again. 7.5

Benteke: Really poor throughout the game, didn't put enough effort into his running in and around the box. Seemed be strolling for most of the game and didn't take any of his many chances with conviction or style. Very disappointing, thought he would have been subbed off much earlier if it wasn't Origi as the only option on the bench. Could have had 4 or 5 today and ends up with 0, not good enough, not even close to. 4

Lovren: Looked ok again but didn't, in truth, have too much to do where he was under any pressure. 6.5

Firmino: Livened up our attack and think he should have perhaps been on a touch earlier, maybe his fitness isn't quite up to the level to ask more of him and that might be the reason he didn't come on earlier. Some lovely interchanges and was one of the only attacking mids who was willing to go beyond Benteke, encouraging, should be starting as soon as possible. 7

Origi: Looks a little more suited to the wide area and that might in the end be the position he finds himself developing into. 6

Klopp: Visibly frustrated for much of the game, constantly barking at the lads and I honestly think he'll have a harsh word or two for more than one of them. I felt both Can and Benteke let him down badly and Can more than Big Ben may come to regret that in terms of starting minutes he'll get moving forward. Benteke wont simply because of our lack of options but both those lads might have tasted the first real roasting of the Klopp era I believe because we should be walking away with the 3 points, not losing them all there and people saying the performance as a whole was shocking are quite simply wrong.

Broadly agree. Thought we played well enough especially after going behind and getting back level in the first half. Second half though was very naive and the end to end football that we were succumbing to was not in any way the manner you want to control or play the game at home. Should have controlled it in the manner like we did for large parts in the first half - just simple passing and holding on to the ball while still making movements up front. Palace took full advantage of it and we lost because of our complete loss of tactical discipline.

Can should take a good look at himself. One of the weakest players against Chelsea last week, not brilliant midweek and downright shocking today. Looks dim witted and about two steps behind everyone else. Is he all that I wonder?

Mignolet - It's got to the point where I can only say that it is what it is with Simon. Some of his decision making was utterly bizarre (F***ing about in the first minute that needed for Sakho to bail him out passing out to an injured Sakho - juggling a pacey backpass rather than whacking it upfield?), his reluctance to roll the ball out is pitiful. Commanding the area - we all know about that. The sad thing is I think even the players ahead of him are visibly starting to show their lack of trust and irritance towards him. Now painful.

Lovren - I'd give him a 6 at best but 5.5 is more apt I feel. Painful in his lack of dominance. Was screaming at him midway through that second half for staying planted to the ground and refusing to jump for a header at the end of a long ball. By contrast, I thought Skrtel was excellent and more or less faultless (bar a moment or two).
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,471 posts | 4591 
      Reply #476: Nov 08, 2015 06:24:23 pm
      I'd give Bogdan the nod ahead of Migs.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #477: Nov 08, 2015 06:32:51 pm
      Mignonette should be shown the door hopefully in January

He's simply not good enough for us in the long run. Distribution is terrible, goal kick is always floating into the position half  and not dipping while it barely crosses the half way mark instead of travelling 3/4 length of the pitch. Having said that the whole bunch that defended the goal got bullied by one scott dan instead of proper defending. Inspite of what many has said and after watching the replay many times, Clyne is partly responsible for the 2nd goal, ball watching. A right back and he should take command on this right side of the goal and not allowing Firminho to dally and take charge. I'm afraid, Clyne doesn't posses the height to excel as a right back.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,005 posts | 224 
      Reply #478: Nov 08, 2015 06:34:21 pm
      our last ball was sh*t again and when we mange to get the ball in the box, you would think 32 million Benteke would of taken one of many chances that he had today
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #479: Nov 08, 2015 06:34:41 pm
      My ratings.

Migs. Thought he ought to have done better with the second goal, no chance with the first. No Franz Beckenbauer in possession, but then we knew that anyway. 6/10

Clyne. Excellent from start to finish, just missed MOM by my reckoning. 7.5/10

Skrtel. Poor for the first goal, should have been busting a gut to get to Bolasie but was like a rabbit in the headlights. Other than that, solid enough. 7/10.

Sakho. Looked decent while on. 7/10.

Moreno: I can't help thinking we're missing a trick with this lad. He's no Paulo Maldini as a defender, but as an attacker I'd have him bombing goalwards every time we've got it, and not down the flank all the time either. I'd be looking to play him in on goal, I'm not sure what he'd do once he got there but he is frighteningly quick and at the moment we don't really utilise it. Anyway, really poor for the first goal and a game to forget today. 5/10.

Can: Not really at the races, very poor for the first goal and always took a touch too many. Like all young players when he has a dip it's a real nose-dive, and at the moment he's in a bit of a trough. 5/10.

Lucas: Didn't dominate the game and his midfield like he has been doing, but still did OK. Could possibly have got out to block the first goal. 6/10.

Lallana: Was bright I thought and like he often does, "almost" created lots but actually didn't. Still, for the last few games he's been one of our best players IMHO. 7/10.

Coutinho: My MOM. A fine goal and only an excellent save denied him a second. He's playing well below his best, but still is our best player. 8/10.

Ibe: I thought he was excellent and is really on a crest of a wave at the moment. The footballer he is now is nothing like the footballer he will be either, very close to MOM in my book. 7.5/10.

Benteke: Looked like what he is, a player who is coming back from injury. Not at his sharpest but was well marshalled by decent defenders. 6/10.

Future captain  :D Did well when he came on and was a real threat from set-pieces. 7/10.

Firmino: Did OK but why on earth we asked him to mark Scott Dann only we will ever know. 7/10.     
      Don77

• 6,614 posts | 1109 
      Reply #480: Nov 08, 2015 06:37:31 pm
      Played well in parts and created plenty of chances.

But we have substandard players in key positions ... goalkeeper, centre half and centre forward.

With a half decent goalkeeper and a half decent striker today we would have won easily.

The same failings are costing us ... its a big job for klopp to sort it out ... but he will given time.

Redangel

• 8,381 posts | 1021 
      Reply #481: Nov 08, 2015 06:41:22 pm
      Just a pity Milner didn't play ... then we would really have had someone to blame.

Agree, we win as a team and lose as a team! At least that's what I always understood!
      Hate this scapegoating of certain players.

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #482: Nov 08, 2015 06:46:10 pm
      Emre Can is too slow and lethargic for my liking. After Palace scored the first goal we could see how dissapointed he was.  He will in every game gives away possession a few times and this time is at critical possession that led to the first goal. It was a gifted goal. If we had defended properly, the 2 goals could have been avoided. Having said that, why didn't the rest inside the box charged at bolossie and close the space instead of ball watching and allowing him all the time and space in the world to take a free shot at goal. Simply too casual, Klopp needs to give the lot a wallopping.
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2015 07:02:35 pm by redkop63 »

Quick Reply