Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      14 (18.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      7 (9.5%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      3 (4.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (1.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      8 (10.8%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Jordon Ibe
      23 (31.1%)
      Adam Lallana
      4 (5.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      12 (16.2%)
      Christian Benteke
      1 (1.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: Nov 15, 2015 06:08:50 pm

Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match debate

Read 31881 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #483: Nov 08, 2015 06:47:12 pm
      we all know which players a re just not good enough but its unlikely that we can change then until the summer. These are the same players we started the season with so its not a surprise we will take a hit every now and then. We are still in the League Cup nicely placed for the Europa league and not a million miles off 4th spot as long as we are still in this position come Jan then we might have a decent season .
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #484: Nov 08, 2015 07:03:30 pm
      I was pissed off at times with people either side of the pitch.

Mignolet - Does this guy forget the basics on purpose? Everytime a shot comes his way he's basically lying down on the pitch rather than slightly crouched. It costs us when he can't get his arse back up again.

Moreno - It'd be great if this lad could cross, we may have a player on our hands if he could. I don't know how an ex-winger finds it so hard to cross a ball.

Clyne - Thought he was quality at times today. It's not always easy for full backs when you have a big pacey winger running at you full pelt. He stood Bolasie up and more often than not he won possession back. I would like to have seen a few more overlapping runs from him though but with it being so end-to-end it was more important that he defended first.

Lucas - Think he carried on with another good performance today. He won the ball back often and distributed it well. A bit more communication between him and Can may be needed though, they seemed to go for the same ball a few times and it left spaces in front of the defence.

Can - It's a good job we don't have another league game for a couple of weeks because he could do with a rest (not sure what the chances are of him featuring for Germany). You can tell he is really trying to do his best but he's doing too much. I like some of the runs he makes but his end product has been really bad. He has time on his side like most of the squad so there's still hope he'll become a top player.

Ibe - Another really good all round performance for me. He got forward and tracked back all game long and put a few challenges in too. Only problem for me is he became far too predictable. He was forever cutting in onto his left foot and it nullified the attack after a while. It'd be good to see him getting some shots away once in a while instead of looking for the cross.

Benteke - He should have had a couple of goals at least today. For some reason our attackers were scared of shooting in good positions today and by not taking our chances it cost us the game. The defence can only do so much in a game to keep us in it, these lads have to step up.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #485: Nov 08, 2015 07:07:45 pm
      I'm not a keeper but surely one of the first things they are taught is to not punch/parry etc a clearance right into a pack of players. Migs could have caught the ball but instead he punched it right in front of him, down low into the path of Dann.

Lallana, the worst player I have seen in pulling the ball back too. Christ, he is useless at it. Luckily Coutinho was where he was and Lallana got away with one of his poor attempts.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #486: Nov 08, 2015 07:17:57 pm
      We lost the physical battle today..
      That long, long journey to and from Russia didn't help us at all today and it defo showed in that last 20 minutes..
      We couldn't handle Zaha at all who was like a tank when he sprung forward..

Saying that we had enough chances to win the game..

Our team and our current style of play is crying out for a goal scorer..

any news on Sahko?

F**kin hate international breaks, two weeks now before our next game...... :mad:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #487: Nov 08, 2015 07:20:12 pm
      That long, long journey to and from Russia didn't help us at all today and it defo showed in that last 20 minutes..

Not something that should be said having spent £200mill on players in 2 summers.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #488: Nov 08, 2015 07:21:53 pm
      We are only as good as our worst players and I think there are a few in our squad that will continue to hold us back when we're tested and under pressure. Also a few that could be good/great for us but need to put the work in and solidify their weaknesses. Mignolet, Lallana, Can, Lovren, Benteke, and Moreno can fit into those categories for me.

I worry that the strategy/style that we're going for and our personnel may simply not be compatible with Benteke. He struggles when he's on the ball and he's not so sure what to do when he's on. Being said, I still think he's a good player with good potential if we can get the best out of him.

Klopp's got some work to do, but I think we're all confident in his ability to be successful in that work.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #489: Nov 08, 2015 07:24:59 pm
      Typical Europa League hangover performance.

Point would have been a good result but oh well.

Squad still isn't strong enough need reinforcements in January.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #490: Nov 08, 2015 07:26:46 pm
      Not something that should be said having spent £200mill on players in 2 summers.

I can sort of agree with you 7KK7 what with professional football these days etc etc but the Palace players put up a lot more physical fight than what Rubin did on Thursday and had a full week to prepare in the gym and on the training ground.

I've never done that 5,000 mile round trip to Russia and back and regardless of the 1st class travel arrangements it must take it's toll on your body?.. surely?..

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #491: Nov 08, 2015 07:28:04 pm
      Should have won this today. Strikers letting us down badly. I remember we always used to have the best strikers in the game. ALWAYS. A guaranteed 25 a season striker. But without the glass man, AKA, Studge, it's difficult to see which of our strikers is going to fulfil their role. If Danny is out til after Xmas, then I'd be inclined to get rid of. I love Studge to bits and his talent is so obvious. But he's as much use as a pair of nuns tits to us and we NEED GOALS!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #492: Nov 08, 2015 07:28:16 pm
      Might be being too harsh on Migs here... But if you can't bring that ball into your chest and catch it and you need to punch it... How about you F***ing punch it like you mean it and not this sh*te we see all season. A keeper who cannot catch is not a keeper. Costs us at least 10 points a season with his sh*te. I've grown beyond frustrated with him and actually feel like he owes us all an apology for his repeated F**k ups or poor performances. No outfield player would ever be allowed to be so consistently poor and keep his place.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,062 posts | 547 
      Reply #493: Nov 08, 2015 07:31:59 pm
      Thought Jürgen made his first mistake for us today - replacing Can with Firmino. We got bullied in midfield after that, with Lucas our only real ball-winner. Up to that point I thought we were the better side ( even if not by much).
      Pretty sure the Jurgenmeister will not play Firmino, Lallana, Coutinho and Ibe all at the same time again. Not against a physical side anyway.

We were shot shy today for some reason. Big Chris looked a bit pooped. Ibe played pretty well overall, but kept coming inside when he had chances to go onto his right foot and have a strike.

Also, how come we've gone back to the outswinging corners?
      Thought we'd seen the last of them after Brendan left, but they were back today. We had umpteen corners and I think every one of them was sh*t.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #494: Nov 08, 2015 07:32:53 pm
      Might be being too harsh on Migs here... But if you can't bring that ball into your chest and catch it and you need to punch it... How about you f**king punch it like you mean it and not this sh*te we see all season. A keeper who cannot catch is not a keeper. Costs us at least 10 points a season with his sh*te. I've grown beyond frustrated with him and actually feel like he owes us all an apology for his repeated f**k ups or poor performances. No outfield player would ever be allowed to be so consistently poor and keep his place.

Well said...

Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #495: Nov 08, 2015 07:33:24 pm
      We are where we are, far too much negativity on here. Klopp is a World Class manager, but by his own admission he is not a miracle worker!
      Give him time to work with players before slagging them off completely, let's get behind the team and not single out individuals. Jürgen has already stated that their heads go down when they go a goal down and he's trying to combat that, do let's give him a hand and not slag individuals off! You may not think they are good enough, but they are Liverpool Football Club players, and they deserve our full support!
      Too many think that managers cannot be criticised, but players are fair game! Well guess what, managers get millions to manage, so that argument is null and void.
      We lost, it was going to happen, move on!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,545 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #496: Nov 08, 2015 07:36:51 pm
      1 defeat in 12

I'll settle for that
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #497: Nov 08, 2015 07:41:30 pm
      Didn't see any of it in the end - kid's taxi..........verdict?

Progress in play, setback in result?

Setback full stop, players not good enough?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #498: Nov 08, 2015 07:44:35 pm
      Didn't see any of it in the end - kid's taxi..........verdict?

Progress in play, setback in result?

Setback full stop, players not good enough?

We played well enough to win, but didn't take our chances, of which were plenty. I'm still optimistic...

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #499: Nov 08, 2015 07:48:36 pm
      Well there we have it. Re wind a couple of days to the Rubin thread and I said we didn't play very well in terms of creating chances and I got slaughtered for it. I was told to ignore our average displays and to ignore us looking like a league 2 side when we go forward and just enjoy the recent results. Posters said 'I'm sure people want us to lose just so they can be proven right'. So I left it by saying palace will be the real test for us and not some pub team from Russia and I hate to say I told you so but I told you so.

We had a lot of possession today but it was almost identical to the Rubin game. We did very little with the ball and we look awful in the final third yet again. We just don't look like we can score goals. When was the last time somebody felt like we would paste a team by 3 or 4 goals? We look so average when we attack.

It was going to be sooner or later we would get found out and that's what happened today. We came up against a side who have goals in them and defensively they are sound. I saw this result coming a mile off.

I refer to benteke, who didn't do too badly indivudally, but he is a large reason why our attack is so sh*t. He is too static and that's just fact. He doesn't move across the back line so he doesn't stretch the defence or make space for others. He's crying out for some decent service which he's not going to get from Ibe Lallana or Coutinho who all play on the ball and don't make any crosses.

Another big problem is Emre can. Without sounding harsh on the lad I can't be the only person who thinks he is awful? He is no better than Joe Allen when he is on the ball. Physically he puts it about a little more than Allen but on the ball he is tragically sh*t. He is far better in defence than he is midfield. He needs dropping ASAP.

Mignolet - one or two decent saves. Haven't seen the replay but he looked like he made a mess of their second goal from where I was. He is too slow kicking or throwing the ball out. And then the rare times you want him to keep hold of the ball for a second or two longer he throws it out and puts somebody under pressure! He's thick basically.

Clyne - thought he had a decent game. Solid. Got forward to support when he could. Final ball could have been a bit better at times and he was beaten by zaha a couple of times too but overall very sound game.

Skrtel - had a good game overall.

Lovren - thought he was solid.

Moreno - awful today. Why is he on set pieces? He can't cross for sh*t! Got beaten a couple of times by bolasie too. His final ball was awful today. sh*t out of a few tackles too.

Lucas - steady game. Wasn't as effective as he has been recently but still did OK.

Can - poor. Offers nothing. sh*t on the ball.

Ibe - involved a lot but held onto the ball too long at times and dribbled into trouble. Needs to pass or shoot earlier. One of our better players though.

Lallana - thought he was sh*te. Not involved.

Coutinho - slightly better than Lallana. Good finish for the goal. Wasn't as involved as he usually is though.

Benteke - perhaps should have got on the score sheet but he did OK, held it up at times and made a couple of nice lay offs, but he needs to move and start stretching defences more and create space for our 'flair' players. I'm still far from convinced he is suited to the way we play football even though it's clear on his day and if you provide him with service he is a real handful.

Overall a gash result, a mediocre performance. Again sorry to say it, but seen it coming. Hopefully some people will realise we ARE sh*t attacking teams and take their tinted glasses off now. 

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,545 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #500: Nov 08, 2015 07:59:20 pm
      Still can't defend set pieces

Not too worried because other than our inability to defend for 90 minutes, there's not much wrong with our game. Sure we aren't playing like Barcelona, but still. Just buy a new keeper and a new central defender and that will go a long way to stabilising our performances.

Oh, and sign Reus
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,556 posts | 246 
      Reply #501: Nov 08, 2015 08:09:21 pm
      Our set pieces in general are diabolical. They're so bad that it's probably advantageous for the opposition to give us a corner rather than win themselves a goal-kick.

Spot on, can only think it's down to training and the fact were practicing these dead ball situations against our own defensive unit so the attacking side think they're good but in reality the defence is poor and thus a vicious circle
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #502: Nov 08, 2015 08:09:59 pm
      Klopp wasn't going to let players use Rubin trip as excuse, but over the years think Europe has proven to have impact on PL results on the weekend following.

Also, hard to see us making significant improvements/put sustained winning run together until we improve the squad. Need some real quality in there. Not sure how he's going to do it, but have to hope Klopp has a rabbit or two up his sleeve.

Didn't get NEARLY enough goals last season from strikers. And in this, after signing new strikers/ attacking players, still depending on Cou to score. Really frustrating.

Just need to be patient. Klopp needs time. To me we still look a bit disjointed and unbalanced in our play. Klopp has steadied the ship, and will get as close to 100% out of who he has as humanly possible ... but even after all the transfers, its frustrating to say I reckon we still need to make a fair few changes...
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 342 
      Reply #503: Nov 08, 2015 08:19:20 pm
      God, I hate losing.  And to these!  Again!  And we lost Sakho - what a bad day all round. 

This lot know exactly how to play against us, and they're not the only ones.  Sit back in disciplined lines, keep a couple of nippy lads on the halfway, then hit us when we fanny about and lose it. 

We've too many players who slow the attack down just as it's threatening to catch the other lot out of position, so we always end up attacking a well-organized double wall.  Mignolet, Can and to some extent, even Coutinho were guilty of it today.  Moreno and Ibe look dangerous in full flow and give us direct pace, but we need the final ball from both.  Benteke I thought had a goodish first half, but clearly isn't sharp and was caught on his heels too often when a top striker should be gambling and getting in there.  Frustrating.  We need to be far more direct and get a guy up past Benteke, and fast.

A defeat always has us searching for scapegoats and possible solutions to what we see going wrong.  I'm finding it hard to resist falling into that trap because we are so DAMN predictable against teams like this! 

BTW - Wonder what Scott Dann would cost us in January?  He's a proper defender.  And a red.  If he played for one of the top six he'd have 50 England caps.

Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #504: Nov 08, 2015 08:24:39 pm
      We so need a clinical striker (or two). Real pity Ings is injured as he has all the attributes Klopp would value.

We can't be allowed to go into the second half of the season so toothless
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #505: Nov 08, 2015 08:25:56 pm
      We were always going to eventually lose a game that's football.

Not overly concerned we are probably where we are to be expected under the Klopp transformation.

First thing I would do is get the lads doing shooting practice, it's criminal to have that many shots in the box and only score once. So still the same issues of creating chances but not taking them.

Benteke was infuriating today as he was on Thursday, not for his misses but some of the runs he makes are just amateurish.
      Every time someone runs with the ball he just gravitates towards the ball, even the lads I have just been playing with tonight know that as a striker you need to create space for yourself and others by dragging defenders away.
      His lack of intelligent movement was something I always feared before we signed him and it looks like Klopp will have a job on his hands.

Mignolet back to his default standard.

And finally some of our fans shithouses we don't deserve Klopp...........

Quick Reply