Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

Watford 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post match discussion

Read 35767 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,264 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Watford 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post match discussion
      Reply #667: Dec 20, 2015 07:57:22 pm
      Home loss to Palace, away loss to Newcastle, home draw to WBA thanks to a late deflection followed by drubbing from Watford worrying times, we have looked very shaky from the keeper to the forward, looks like missing Sturridge has gone right through the teams confidence, were do we go from here the run we are now on is shocking and these were the games that were supposed to make a top four place possible
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #668: Dec 20, 2015 08:14:59 pm
      We can talk all we want about how "Rodgers bought a load of sh!te", but the current manager has to do much better than that today. I agree with some posters that there are echoes of Benitez's first season, but only in the sense that there is a failure to appreciate what we are up against in too many games.

Two weeks ago against Newcastle the fact that once we'd let them grow into it and the crowd got behind them they became difficult utterly surprised us, then last week we were seemingly dumfounded that WBA defended deep, got stuck in and relied on set pieces. We seemed a little surprised that not only did they depend on set pieces, but bugger me they're quite good at them too. This week we opted to go for a technical set up and line up, and were then amazed that Watford pressed us, the pitch was bobbly, there was lots of wind and we couldn't get going. Who would have thought it? And who would have predicted that in Deeney and the other fella whose name escapes me they were physical up top? What next? We play Leicester and defend on the half way line only to be undone when they put it over the top for a quite pacy striker they've got to run onto?

It's not good enough. It's not 1% Jurgens fault that we have too many players who are mentally weak and not up for a physical battle, but it IS Jurgens fault 100% that he chose to start so many of them in the same team today. Equally, given their running power it IS Jurgens fault that he decided to go with Lucas in the middle of central midfield rather than Henderson, it IS Jurgens fault that he didn't find a place for the physical presence of any of Ibe/Origi/Benteke. We were absolutely crying out for a physical out ball from the first minute, and it IS Jurgens fault that we didn't make the change much sooner than we did.

Now I'm a massive fan of Jürgen Klopp and all he stands for. I am sure he'll bring success to the club if he is given long enough, and I'm sure he'll buy some good players when he gets the chance. Equally, I'm sure that a few of the players who took the field today are as weak as p!ss and they let the manager down. Ultimately though, getting spanked 3-0 by Watford (and lets face it it could have been five or six) is a f****** awful result, and it's not an isolated one either. It is miles away from being good enough EVEN WITH THESE PLAYERS THAT HE HAS TO WORK WITH, and we shouldn't be embarrassed about saying so. That there today was IMHO right up there with Stoke away last season. I know many won't agree with that, but that's how I felt watching it.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #669: Dec 20, 2015 08:19:59 pm
      This season is all about Klopp learning about the English league and what it means to manage Liverpool FC.

He's made a few mistakes but this season is all about 'getting to know you' as far as Klopp is concerned.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,264 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #670: Dec 20, 2015 08:22:28 pm
      That there today was IMHO right up there with Stoke away last season. I know many won't agree with that, but that's how I felt watching it.
      [/quote]

It was that bad today, still can't believe we were that poor
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #671: Dec 20, 2015 08:25:14 pm
      I make the Stoke away last season comparison quite deliberately. We had absolutely nothing to play for there and we were playing against an established Premier league outfit who are notoriously a handful at home. Here we had absolutely everything to play for, it was a crucial match, and we simply didn't turn up. Given a different bounce of the ball even the scoreline could have been the same.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #672: Dec 20, 2015 08:27:12 pm
      What a mess that was...

A few things I need to rant about...

1) 9 corners we had.. they had 7.. why does Coutinho continuously take a sh*t corner?..and each time the ball did come in we had nothing to meet it..

2) Can looked completely knackered... he's a young lad..He just stopped running today..

3) West Brom, Palace, Newcastle and now Watford bullied us off the ball. They were all stronger physically and harassed us from the first to the last whistle..our front three managed 1 shot between them in the first half today..

4) The Benteke and Ibe switch should've been made at half time..

5) We HAVE to play better than that against Leicester next week otherwise they will walk all over us...

I need a drink...  :mad:

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #673: Dec 20, 2015 08:30:00 pm

Sums up our performance today.....
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #674: Dec 20, 2015 08:31:11 pm
      What a mess that was...

A few things I need to rant about...

1) 9 corners we had.. they had 7.. why does Coutinho continuously take a sh*t corner?..and each time the ball did come in we had nothing to meet it..

2) Can looked completely knackered... he's a young lad..He just stopped running today..

3) West Brom, Palace, Newcastle and now Watford bullied us off the ball. They were all stronger physically and harassed us from the first to the last whistle..our front three managed 1 shot between them in the first half today..

4) The Benteke and Ibe switch should've been made at half time..

5) We HAVE to play better than that against Leicester next week otherwise they will walk all over us...

I need a drink...  :mad:

Me too mate. I'm gonna go get bladdered. F****** c***s.

harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #675: Dec 20, 2015 08:34:26 pm
      I make the Stoke away last season comparison quite deliberately. We had absolutely nothing to play for there and we were playing against an established Premier league outfit who are notoriously a handful at home. Here we had absolutely everything to play for, it was a crucial match, and we simply didn't turn up. Given a different bounce of the ball even the scoreline could have been the same.

There's 2 things we can always count on:

1. Brendan bashers twisting the knife after every win

2. Mick giving Brendan metaphorical hand jibbers after every loss.

:f_tongueincheek:
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #676: Dec 20, 2015 08:36:36 pm
      Embarrassing.

Bogdan got his game, like many wished...

:roll:

Merry F***ing xmas.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #677: Dec 20, 2015 08:37:39 pm
      There's 2 things we can always count on:

1. Brendan bashers twisting the knife after every win

2. Mick giving Brendan metaphorical hand jibbers after every loss.

:f_tongueincheek:

Haha made me laugh mate and that's not easy tonight. No, the Stoke result and performance was disgusting and had Jürgen been available then, my view is that Brendan would (rightly) have been sacked in the Summer. There seems little point though in having an elephant in the room when discussing Liverpool performances, whatever side of any fence anyone sits. I sit firmly on the "Jürgen Klopp is a brilliant manager and a large upgrade on Brendan Rodgers" side, but HE IS THE MANAGER NOW. That today was utter sh!t, and he takes some responsibility in my book.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #678: Dec 20, 2015 08:40:53 pm
      Haha made me laugh mate and that's not easy tonight. No, the Stoke result and performance was disgusting and had Jürgen been available then, my view is that Brendan would (rightly) have been sacked in the Summer. There seems little point though in having an elephant in the room when discussing Liverpool performances, whatever side of any fence anyone sits. I sit firmly on the "Jürgen Klopp is a brilliant manager and a large upgrade on Brendan Rodgers" side, but HE IS THE MANAGER NOW. That today was utter sh!t, and he takes some responsibility in my book.

I completely agree!!  My biggest reservation regarding Klopp was that his gegenpress tactics seem to fizzle out when teams sit deep and play long ball.  He needs to develop a 2nd phase to his tactical framework because right now it is too easy for teams to stifle us.

This is a bit harsh considering he is still settling into the job and getting to know the players, but it's something we need to address asap.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #679: Dec 20, 2015 08:55:33 pm
      the sooner this season is over the better we have a mental squad that has been brought together but people who must never watch Liverpool play and definitely don't speak to each other. This was a Watford side similar to last weeks West Brom side who do not have a single player we would want yet they twatted us.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #680: Dec 20, 2015 09:09:32 pm
      No one covering either post when the ball came in.
      The nearest Red shirt was Lucas for christ sake..
      and WTF..... 4 Watford players unmarked around our goalkeeper..

:-[
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #681: Dec 20, 2015 09:16:16 pm
      What do these players have in common  :-

Lucas
      Can
      Lallana
      Firminho
      Coutinho

They're in the engine room. I personally believe this is where the real problem is, they're very technical players but weak and slow. When come up against strong, fast and physical players, all of them will struggle and has struggled as what I have seen in the last few matches. BR and the committee when they bought these players maybe thinking of a foreign league because non of them were professional footballers before. When teams don't press us, these players are world beaters, when they do press us we're a bunch of losers. Therefore, we have far too many lightweighs in our squad and that may explain why our performance varies from opponent to opponent. Klopp could put up the best formation, and i don't find much to complain before the game started today, however, when our players do not have the physical attributes combine with the skills we will somewhat neutralised in many ways and we have seen that in the last few matches.

We could get another 10 firminhos or 10 Coutinhos in and we will still loose matches, that's how I sees.  . The team is somewhat imbalance at the moment, a case of too much skills with too little brawn. So, I won't put the total blame on Klopp for the losses, the players are what they are. Starting from today, if I am Klopp I will be honest in many ways and start telling  these players 1 to 1, buddy you are too lightweight for me and the league and there is a high chance that you will need to move, unless the players can start to play super fast football that makes it difficult for opponents to mark them.

As someone has mentioned earlier about Jimmy case, one of my favorite player a very very physical player but not a very skilful one and if we have him on the squad today I'd believe we would perform much much better.

Our past masters ala Shanks, Paisley etc knew long ago steel is needed in the middle of the park in those all conquering years and we have none today.
      « Last Edit: Dec 20, 2015 09:40:27 pm by redkop63 »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #682: Dec 20, 2015 09:17:36 pm
      Pretty sure that is not going to happen. 
      Rodgers spent all of FSG's money. 
      They'll pitch in a little here and there but there aren't going to be any more overhauls, thanks to FSG being burned by Brendan f**king Rodgers.

Long term damage .....

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #683: Dec 20, 2015 09:24:25 pm
      I completely agree!!  My biggest reservation regarding Klopp was that his gegenpress tactics seem to fizzle out when teams sit deep and play long ball.  He needs to develop a 2nd phase to his tactical framework because right now it is too easy for teams to stifle us.

This is a bit harsh considering he is still settling into the job and getting to know the players, but it's something we need to address asap.

How long has the tinker man been in his job at Leicester now? Not that much longer than Klopp I would say. But they sit top of the table. Jürgen IS the right man for the job, but today he has to take some flak for selection today. Firmino didn't warrant a start. Origi did in my opinion. But the players didn't exactly cover themselves in glory either. There's a lot of hard work to be put in by everyone before we are going to see Klopps real Liverpool. I'd garner by summer time, we'll see a lot of new players coming through the doors.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #684: Dec 20, 2015 09:27:43 pm
      I thought we were gutless today. Too many players hiding - Hendo the obvious exception for me but he was rusty.

There's talent there - but not enough fight for me.

Gaffer has his work cut out.
      rossyred

• 9,303 posts | 1668 
      Reply #685: Dec 20, 2015 09:29:04 pm
      Origi bangs hat trick in then is benched wrong , what message does that send ? Play the men in form Firminho , Benteke out of the firing line
      MsGerrard
      Reply #686: Dec 20, 2015 09:33:08 pm
      Absolutely gutted....my first away game of the season and they lay down and die  :( We were toothless, gave the ball away far to easily, didn't contest balls and only looked half arsed  >:( far to many errors made today, only a couple of players were even bothered, very sad to see, there's a lot needs sorting.
      Thankyou to Jordan Henderson who was the only player to come over to clap us, the rest coudn't wait to get off the pitch.  :(

Not looking forward to Boxing Day, might have to get the hunt on these foxes !!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,023 posts | 3957 
      Reply #687: Dec 20, 2015 09:41:30 pm
      Pretty sure that is not going to happen.  Rodgers spent all of FSG's money.  They'll pitch in a little here and there but there aren't going to be any more overhauls, thanks to FSG being burned by Brendan F***ing Rodgers.

FSG stated time and time again for the likes of bullshitters like you they have no intention of using their own money on LFC.
      Monies generated by the sale of players, gate receipts, advertising revenue etc etc is not ''FSG's money''!!

Unless you mean the loan afforded the club by our owners, to be repaid in due time.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #688: Dec 20, 2015 09:42:47 pm

Pretty sure that is not going to happen.  Rodgers spent all of FSG's money.  They'll pitch in a little here and there but there aren't going to be any more overhauls, thanks to FSG being burned by Brendan F***ing Rodgers.

Funny, I remember you saying that Klopp would have that team in the top 4 when Brendan was in charge! I also remember you saying that Brendan wasn't responsible for the signings of Firmino, Moreno, Can, Sakho, players that had a poor game today.
      You're anti Brendan Bullshit will surely die out eventually, but feel free to use it in the meantime when Jürgen gets it wrong!

I have faith in Klopp, he will turn things around with a few minor adjustments to the team he has.

Oh and don't worry about there not.being anymore overhauls, FSG can always cash in on Coutinho when.Barca come calling next summer!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #689: Dec 20, 2015 09:50:38 pm
      Interesting that when hammering City, Saints etc, Klopp was hailed as a genius and people were exclaiming they knew all along that the players were good enough and BR was sh*te.

Now, when we are arguably as bad as we ever where at low points under BR, it's the players that are too blame.

I don't know what's gone wrong since we had those excellent away performances recently, but we are getting steadily worse from game to game. Winning against big sides is worth f**k all if capitulating against the 'minnows'.

We were awful today. We got brushed aside EASILY by f**king Watford. EASILY!!! Some terrible individual performances. Straight from the off, ANOTHER howler from our keeper :( We seemed light in midfield, didn't give the back 4 enough cover, or contribute enough up front. We looked stretched at the back, and made individual errors. Lallana and Cou were poor. Firmino's had one good game at City, and done f**k all else since arriving for big bucks. Benteke can't even get on ahead of Origi.

As poor as the performance was from the players, the manager also needs to take some responsibility, can't just take the credit when we do well. We looked tired, in body and mind. The players look lacking in confidence, and without any strategy for opening up Watford - which we repeatedly failed to do. And you'd think away from home, we'd get more space to get in behind.

Klopp has a proven record so you have to think we'll improve long term. And his job is safe. But we need to improve on today, because that was f**king ABJECT all round.

Post of the day.

Quick Reply