Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (1.7%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      53 (43.8%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      1 (0.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      44 (36.4%)
      Adam Lallana
      10 (8.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      3 (2.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.8%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (1.7%)
      Christian Benteke
      4 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Voting closed: Dec 29, 2015 07:45:03 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Leicester City. In game and post match debate.

Read 25003 times
      fvhighlights
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 1:0 Leicester City. In game and post match debate.
      Reply #368: Dec 26, 2015 05:38:53 pm
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #369: Dec 26, 2015 05:40:26 pm
      It's frustrating because he's a goal scorer, no doubt about it and his record through his career so far speaks for it's self.

He clearly is, but what frustrates me about him is that he should be getting so many more than he is!  Looks a bit uncertain at times, to me.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #370: Dec 26, 2015 05:40:51 pm
      Chelsea have supposedly bid £35million for him. I am in the "take the money and run camp."

Wasn't aware of this at all. Hmm, would depend on what we'd do with the £35million. I'm not above selling him if we can get someone else in who's got a record as good as his.

It's frustrating because he's a goal scorer, no doubt about it and his record through his career so far speaks for it's self.

I know mate, I think the old 'form is temporary, class is permanent' cliche keeps coming to mind for me with him. He just needs a run of games were he gets 90 minutes and we'll really get to see the best of him. With our injury luck now it may look like that's the only option.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #371: Dec 26, 2015 05:47:27 pm
      Wasn't aware of this at all. Hmm, would depend on what we'd do with the £35million. I'm not above selling him if we can get someone else in who's got a record as good as his.

It was towards the end of Mourinho's reign, whether there is still an offer in... not sure mate. Be very interesting if it is!

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #372: Dec 26, 2015 05:51:48 pm
      At this point, sadly I take a Benteke that "needs to do better" vs a Sturridge that "needs to stay healthy". 
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Leicester City. In game and post match debate.
      Reply #373: Dec 26, 2015 05:55:29 pm
      At this point, sadly I take a Benteke that "needs to do better" vs a Sturridge that "needs to stay healthy". 

:)

Danny hasn't had a new injury for a couple of weeks now ... he must be due.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #374: Dec 26, 2015 06:02:48 pm
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #375: Dec 26, 2015 06:11:21 pm
      Over the moon here. The reds are coming up the hill.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #376: Dec 26, 2015 06:13:03 pm

What's worrying is he missed an absolute sitter a few weeks ago too when he put it over the bar with the keeper out the picture from about 5 yards.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,589 posts | 7141 
      Reply #377: Dec 26, 2015 06:13:07 pm
      Chelsea have supposedly bid £35million for him. I am in the "take the money and run camp."

Taxi for Benteke
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #378: Dec 26, 2015 06:16:09 pm
      I just wonder if it is the change of training regimes. I remember when Souness became our manager, he totally changed how we trained to a more "European style" and we got loads of hamstring injuries then too. 

Could be mate, considered something similar myself. Hopefully this is the adaption time and the lads are ready and robust for our title challenge next year :D

Me too, there's miles better out there for that money, it's if we're willing to sit and suffer this season or if we can turn it around in Jan. Reus and Aubemayang.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,039 posts | 537 
      Reply #379: Dec 26, 2015 06:18:15 pm
      Big, much needed win that to get our top chances back on track.

We played well, apart from being a bit nervy in the last 10 mins. Couple of narrow squeaks - great save from Mignolet.

We are still struggling to create clear cut chances despite a lot of good play- I do think we missed Origi's movement and pace after he went off. Benteke took his goal well, but looks like Jürgen thinks Origi is a more natural fit for his style.
      Depending on Origi's injury, Benteke may now get a few games to see if he can make it work for us.

Hendo was MOTM by a mile in my opinion - he was outstanding.
      The team as a whole played well though, but we still need to find more end product to put games to bed.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #380: Dec 26, 2015 06:41:13 pm
      Very important win, need to up the rythim a bit though. A must-win game at Sunderland too, we must go for it.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #381: Dec 26, 2015 06:51:25 pm

Welcome to the forum.

We made loads of chances as the game stats will show.
      Finishing was appalling and just before the end Benteke again with all the time in the world shoots straight at a defender with goalie nowhere around.

Good movement throughout the team.
      Final shots let them down.

Could have had more.

Well done lads  and a mention for Migs.
      « Last Edit: Dec 27, 2015 12:13:47 am by eurored »
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1516 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #382: Dec 26, 2015 07:04:33 pm
      Ooof Moreno!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #383: Dec 26, 2015 07:11:34 pm
      Much better performance today but underlined by the same old problems - a lack of threat in front of goal. Just relieved to have won and stayed within touching distance of the top 4 pack.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,796 posts | 575 
      Reply #384: Dec 26, 2015 07:18:10 pm
      Nice to gain on united but they are so bad it's not true, Spurs are the target now.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #385: Dec 26, 2015 07:23:09 pm
      Very professional performance from us today. We won the game without being too glamorous.

Thought the back four were superb. Organised from the off and barely gave Leicester a sniff at goal. I was expecting mahrez and vardy to cause us all kind of problems but neither of them were in the game and they both got subbed actually.

Special mention for Lovren who I thought was class today, won everything. He looked a lot more calmer alongside sakho than he does Skrtel. My Motm.

The midfield were very good too. Whenever Leicester had possession we really worked hard to close them down or track back. We just didn't let them play at all. Henderson in particular bossed the middle which was good to see because as our captain he doesn't do this enough but fair play to the lad he stepped up today.

Thought we looked more of a threat when Origi was on the pitch than we did benteke. Origi was working hard and making runs and was very unlucky not to get on the score sheet. Benteke doesn't work hard enough for me I'm sick of saying it and that miss at the end was a shambles. It was actually embarrassing.

Firmino was also disappointing, barely remember him touching the ball.

We were solid, organised, perhaps could have done a bit better going forward but overall it was a very professional performance and we got the job done. We deserved the win and the lads played very well. We made the league leaders look like a very ordinary side. Well done reds.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #386: Dec 26, 2015 07:47:13 pm

Thats the one I had mentioned.
      Absolute sitter. 
      Easier to have done anything else  .... even chip it.

Its not the first time he has done this.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #387: Dec 26, 2015 07:59:47 pm
      What's worrying is he missed an absolute sitter a few weeks ago too when he put it over the bar with the keeper out the picture from about 5 yards.

It was two yards at most.

I think Benteke can be a good striker for us. IF he ups his work rate and starts making intelligent movement. I don't know. Maybe he just doesn't have it in his locker. Put it this way, if 35m was on the table for him and we could get a decent replacement, I'd sell him.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #388: Dec 26, 2015 08:03:19 pm
      What we need is a striker who never misses a chance, there must be one out there somewhere. It's all very well scoring the winner when you come off the bench and all that caper, but that chance at the end when the game was over just takes the biscuit doesn't it?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #389: Dec 26, 2015 08:14:59 pm
      What we need is a striker who never misses a chance, there must be one out there somewhere. It's all very well scoring the winner when you come off the bench and all that caper, but that chance at the end when the game was over just takes the biscuit doesn't it?

Ha ha! I sense the sarcasm is strong in this post!

But absolutely - let's focus on the positives here with Benteke. As you say he came off the bench, scored the winner which is a pretty F***ing good positive to build on isn't it?

When we're given the option to dwell on the match winning goal or a shocking miss and we choose to dwell on the latter, what does that say about our mentality? Encouraging Benteke for his match winning contribution is far more likely to yield results than shouting at him for what could have been a crucial miss late on. Klopp wants us to be positive and there's a lot to be positive about in Benteke today and throughout the team. Can't be doing with these constantly negative Nigel's like federer who would lodge a complaint in paradise if they could.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #390: Dec 26, 2015 08:32:47 pm
      Ha ha! I sense the sarcasm is strong in this post!

But absolutely - let's focus on the positives here with Benteke. As you say he came off the bench, scored the winner which is a pretty f**king good positive to build on isn't it?

When we're given the option to dwell on the match winning goal or a shocking miss and we choose to dwell on the latter, what does that say about our mentality? Encouraging Benteke for his match winning contribution is far more likely to yield results than shouting at him for what could have been a crucial miss late on. Klopp wants us to be positive and there's a lot to be positive about in Benteke today and throughout the team. Can't be doing with these constantly negative Nigel's like federer who would lodge a complaint in paradise if they could.

I'm pretty sure that somebody at the club said something about believing, might have been the tealady. No-one worth listening to though.

Quick Reply