Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 30th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

What realistic targets do you bring in? (over the next couple of windows)

Read 11734 times
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 218 posts | 128 
      What realistic targets do you bring in? (over the next couple of windows)
      Jan 02, 2016 07:56:32 pm
      Who would you bring in? Don't worry about the sums involved but think about the side you could potentially build once you've got your targets. Give a reason why they'd want to come and play for Liverpool.

Mine would be:

Ter Stegen - reason: little game time at his current club - should be fairly cheap
      Joel Matip - reason: playing for Schalke in a Bayern dominated league
      Marco Reus - reason: has played for Klopp previously and close professional relationship - also playing in Bayern dominated league
      Niklas Sule - reason: plays for Hoffenheim and is solid defensively - similar reason above - also a young player
      Layvin Kurzawa - reason: not really getting a look in at Monaco and a league dominated by PSG
      Riyad Mahrez - reason: Leicester City likely to fade away - probably want to cash in before his value goes down
      Grzegorz Krychowiak - reason: plays for Sevilla and one of the most solid defensive midfielders in Europe
      Paco Alcácer - reason: plays for Valencia, not a massive club and a selling club at that - impressive work rate and suits our style

I don't think any of these play for clubs whereby the players are simply out of our reach. I think one signing from Dortmund is possible, and I'd go with Reus over Gundogan personally, even if it means splashing out more money.

The team would be:

Ter Stegen

Can  Matip   Sule   Kurzawa

Henderson   Krychowiak

Mahrez   Coutinho   Reus

Paco

What would be yours?
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Re: What realistic targets do you bring in? (over the next couple of windows)
      Reply #1: Jan 02, 2016 08:16:32 pm
      All I know is Sturridge being able to play would make all the difference to our hopes of fourth. We need to replace him or fix him.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,345 posts | 4966 
      Reply #2: Jan 02, 2016 08:22:11 pm
      Who would you bring in? Don't worry about the sums involved but think about the side you could potentially build once you've got your targets. Give a reason why they'd want to come and play for Liverpool.

Mine would be:

Ter Stegen - reason: little game time at his current club - should be fairly cheap
      Marco Reus - reason: has played for Klopp previously and close professional relationship - also playing in Bayern dominated league
      Niklas Sule - reason: plays for Hoffenheim and is solid defensively - similar reason above - also a young player
      Layvin Kurzawa - reason: not really getting a look in at Monaco and a league dominated by PSG
      Riyad Mahrez - reason: Leicester City likely to fade away - probably want to cash in before his value goes down
      Grzegorz Krychowiak - reason: plays for Sevilla and one of the most solid defensive midfielders in Europe
      Paco Alcácer - reason: plays for Valencia, not a massive club and a selling club at that - impressive work rate and suits our style

I don't think any of these play for clubs whereby the players are simply out of our reach. I think one signing from Dortmund is possible, and I'd go with Reus over Gundogan personally, even if it means splashing out more money.

The team would be:

Ter Stegen

Henderson   Krychowiak

Mahrez   Coutinho   Reus

Paco

What would be yours?

I think it's highly unlikely mate that there would only be three of our current squad staring after the next couple of windows.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: Jan 02, 2016 08:37:09 pm
      Quality, not quantity, that's for sure.
      Are we allowed sign an experienced (slightly older) player?  Or are FSG still crunching our nuts on that..
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,545 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #4: Jan 02, 2016 08:56:24 pm
      GK Butland
      DM Rubin Nevez
      CM Gundogan
      ST Hernandez
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,694 posts | 7160 
      Reply #5: Jan 02, 2016 09:19:26 pm
      Tony Kroos mentioned in the Echo yesterday. When we sign somebody I don't expect to have to look them up in Wiki.
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #6: Jan 02, 2016 09:21:58 pm
      I think it's highly unlikely mate that there would only be three of our current squad staring after the next couple of windows.
      I wouldn't be surprised after today. He was visibly pissed off and its not a good move to piss off Germans.  :laugh:
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,694 posts | 7160 
      Reply #7: Jan 02, 2016 09:24:51 pm
      We saw how just having one world class player can help to bring out the best in other players. Its no coincidence that Sturridge, Couthino. Gerrard all struggled last season to match the previous seasons form. We need a Suarez how the F**k we get one is beyond me but if we don't ask we will not get. As old as Zlatan is he would be a huge influence on the entire club and someone like that is what we need.
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #8: Jan 02, 2016 09:33:12 pm
      We saw how just having one world class player can help to bring out the best in other players. Its no coincidence that Sturridge, Couthino. Gerrard all struggled last season to match the previous seasons form. We need a Suarez how the f**k we get one is beyond me but if we don't ask we will not get. As old as Zlatan is he would be a huge influence on the entire club and someone like that is what we need.

Not going to happen, so we need to look at alternatives, and that is to build a capable side. Striking lucky with another Suarez again would be insane. If that happened I would ask Ian Ayre and the people at the club to start putting my lottery numbers on for me.

The fact is, Suarez carried the team, almost to the title, and now we need to get rid of a lot of the deadwood that was carried that season, and playing well above their usual level, in form and on a roll, and build an entire squad that is capable of challenging.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #9: Jan 02, 2016 09:34:25 pm

Mine would be:

The team would be:

Ter Stegen

Henderson   Krychowiak

Mahrez   Coutinho   Reus

Paco

What would be yours?

Interesting choice of players there.
      Thought Mahrez to be an inspired choice. He slalomed his way through our defence ( what defence we've got) to get a shot in last week.
      Impressed with his movement off the ball as well .

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,694 posts | 7160 
      Reply #10: Jan 02, 2016 09:39:10 pm
      Not going to happen, so we need to look at alternatives, and that is to build a capable side. Striking lucky with another Suarez again would be insane. If that happened I would ask Ian Ayre and the people at the club to start putting my lottery numbers on for me.

The fact is, Suarez carried the team, almost to the title, and now we need to get rid of a lot of the deadwood that was carried that season, and playing well above their usual level, in form and on a roll, and build an entire squad that is capable of challenging.

you say we are accepting the mediocre but then say we aren't going to sign a new Suarez or a world class player which is it.
      If FSg want this club to be credible they need to understand how things work and big clubs have big players.
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #11: Jan 02, 2016 09:41:42 pm
      Thought Mahrez to be an inspired choice. He slalomed his way through our defence ( what defence we've got) to get a shot in last week.
      He's impressed me all season to be honest with you, as has Kante. Excellent player, although I cant see us poaching both from Leicester, unless they end up becoming our next Southampton. I hope that doesn't become the case. We'd be better off poaching individual talents from multiple clubs.

All in all, I'd like to see three versatile attacking midfielders who can link up, like Coutinho, play off a striker with good movement who can run into the channels. Once a striker like Paco drags them out wide, players like Reus or Mahrez can then find the space by coming inside and linking in up with the others. The problem at the moment is we only really have Coutinho filling voids on the pitch and trying to craft an opening. Mark him out of the game and we become almost useless as a threat. Even our goal against Leicester came with a bit of fortune.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,248 posts | 1226 
      Reply #12: Jan 02, 2016 09:41:46 pm
      Reus would be the one for me. No idea how feasible that is though.

Like the Kroos shout as well.

That's the calibre of player we need and Klopp might just be the difference in whether or not we get them.

Others -- Kante from Leicester. Excellent player, fantastic work rate, picks a good pass. Make way Joe Allen/Lucas.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,694 posts | 7160 
      Reply #13: Jan 02, 2016 09:42:55 pm
      Reus would be the one for me. No idea how feasible that is though.

Like the Kroos shout as well.

That's the calibre of player we need and Klopp might just be the difference in whether or not we get them.

why not both are we Liverpool Football club anymore?
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #14: Jan 02, 2016 09:44:05 pm
      you say we are accepting the mediocre but then say we aren't going to sign a new Suarez or a world class player which is it.
      If FSg want this club to be credible they need to understand how things work and big clubs have big players.

There's a level between Suarez and mediocre. Its called the level we should be aiming for. Players like Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez and co. are at the very top level. If you mean a Suarez with raw potential as before, fair enough, if you mean a player equal to his level now, then its not going to happen as players like that are a one of a kind. We should not be aiming for mediocre, Lallana, but players like Reus, who whilst incredible talents, are still not at the same level as talents like Messi, Suarez, Ronaldo and Neymar are now.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,248 posts | 1226 
      Reply #15: Jan 02, 2016 09:46:24 pm
      why not both are we Liverpool Football club anymore?

I think we should be able to Walt. If the money was on the table then we would have a very good chance with Klopp being our manager.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16: Jan 02, 2016 09:47:52 pm

Our tendency to buy players who are excellent at their former clubs in the premier league and us to turn them into sh*t has made me world weary of buying PL established stars. But Mahrez has been wonderful this season. To bring his club up to the summit of the table as opposed to scoring goals that take his team out of a relegation battle must show he is real quality.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,694 posts | 7160 
      Reply #17: Jan 02, 2016 09:49:42 pm
      I think we should be able to Walt. If the money was on the table then we would have a very good chance with Klopp being our manager.

sell 4 of the deadwood and buy one decent player.  its not hard to work out that we could manage without some of our players
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,694 posts | 7160 
      Reply #18: Jan 02, 2016 09:51:18 pm
      Our tendency to buy players who are excellent at their former clubs in the premier league and us to turn them into sh*t has made me world weary of buying PL established stars. But Mahrez has been wonderful this season. To bring his club up to the summit of the table as opposed to scoring goals that take his team out of a relegation battle must show he is real quality.

we should be buying players who already perform well at CL level and international level buying Leicester or Soton players who are doing well is a disaster waiting to happen. How many times have we shouted out NO MORE AVG PLAYERS
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,626 posts | 2160 
      Reply #19: Jan 02, 2016 10:05:49 pm
      I don't know the German league so well, the safest bet surely would be to raid Dortmund for a couple of players that Klopp k owns and trusts to come in and do a good job.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 290 
      Reply #20: Jan 02, 2016 10:08:48 pm
      we should be buying players who already perform well at CL level and international level buying Leicester or Soton players who are doing well is a disaster waiting to happen. How many times have we shouted out NO MORE AVG PLAYERS

True, buying four Southampton players in the space of 12 months turns you into yes you've guessed it Southampton and at inflated prices at that. Buy one from Southampton fair enough maybe Clyne who at least plays for England.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,694 posts | 7160 
      Reply #21: Jan 02, 2016 10:09:06 pm
      I don't know the German league so well, the safest bet surely would be to raid Dortmund for a couple of players that Klopp k owns and trusts to come in and do a good job.

think that what a lot of us are hoping for
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #22: Jan 02, 2016 10:12:01 pm
      Goalkeeper
      Central midfielder
      Winger
      Striker

If by the end of the summer we can sort those four areas with proper quality I'll be happy. You could make the case for another centre back, a left back to push Moreno and another attacker but now that we don't have a 50m player to sell we might struggle to sign all those players.

Haven't really watched enough football outside the Premier League to be naming names though to be honest.
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2016 10:46:29 pm by chats »

Quick Reply