Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Flanagan
      2 (1.8%)
      Ilori
      5 (4.5%)
      Lucas (C)
      72 (64.3%)
      Smith
      3 (2.7%)
      Stewart
      6 (5.4%)
      Chirivella (Pedro)
      4 (3.6%)
      Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Coutinho
      6 (5.4%)
      Teixeira
      0 (0%)
      Benteke
      6 (5.4%)
      Sturridge
      7 (6.3%)
      Origi
      0 (0%)
      Milner
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Voting closed: Feb 10, 2016 10:27:31 pm

West Ham 2:1 Liverpool (AET): In Game & Post Game Discussions

Read 38621 times
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Re: West Ham 2:1 Liverpool (AET): In Game & Post Game Discussions
      Reply #1127: Feb 09, 2016 11:47:59 pm

Congratulations. You successfully embedded a link.

Of course, Sturridge wasn't supporting Benteke at all, was he? It was the other way round.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4413 
      Reply #1128: Feb 09, 2016 11:49:11 pm
      Three strikers up front........ love Klopps bravery to just go for it, almost paid off just a shame Firmino was not on the bench him and Sturridge would have filled their boots tonight.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1129: Feb 09, 2016 11:50:12 pm
      Really bad week, a draw and two defeats, but this was a real kick in the nuts after the way we played.

Wrong team imo, but they played well enough to have won this game. Very hard to take after the way we played.

Game changed for me when Carroll came on and they started playing long ball. We handled it but we were always stretched from then on.

Wrong team in what way? Wrong striker perhaps but other than that I thought all the lads played much much better than our regular XI
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #1130: Feb 09, 2016 11:50:20 pm
      I do know exactly what he means, that's the problem. He's wrong.

Sturridge is a Striker, and he played centrally. He didn't score though did he? The clips clearly show Sturridge playing centrally.

Oh but... that shows I'm right so... ... ... ... ...let's dismiss the evidence.

Either your eyes don't work, or you were watching a different game. Hence why Sturridge more often than not was feeding Benteke with through balls, one- twos and the such from wider positions.

And judging from the drivel you spout over and again, I'm surprised you haven't yourself worked out you're wrong.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1131: Feb 09, 2016 11:51:32 pm

Sturridge is a Striker, and he played centrally. He didn't score though did he? The clips clearly show Sturridge playing centrally.

Re watch the game, Sturridge wasn't the main #9 and was playing a more supporting role. Again, your clips show no evidence of Sturridge playing as the 9.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4413 
      Reply #1132: Feb 09, 2016 11:51:50 pm

Don't be ridiculous Benteke played through the middle and he was flanked by Sturridge and Origi.

What you can't comprehend is really good strikers roam over the pitch something you are not used to seeing as your too obsessed with Benteke.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,878 posts | 704 
      Reply #1133: Feb 09, 2016 11:58:32 pm
      Quote from DanMann
      Benteke had a good game tonight. He played really well, he just didn't finish the few chances that he had. The only clear cut chance was the 1v1. Had to score, and has to be held accountable for that miss chance. Other chances were nothing special. Much like Sturridge, Origi, Countinho, and others. Players miss chances. They don't always score. With Benteke, every miss is exaggerated.

He missed at least 6 that I could recall, including 3 in 3 minutes. Others say he actually missed as much as 9. NINE CHANCES. :o

Sorry I lost count.  :f_steam:
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,788 posts | 892 
      Reply #1134: Feb 10, 2016 12:00:54 am
      Re watch the game, Sturridge wasn't the main #9 and was playing a more supporting role. Again, your clips show no evidence of Sturridge playing as the 9.

That wasn't the point though was it?

The assertion made was that Sturridge did not play through the centre. He clearly did, yet failed to score. That's what I said, and what I showed. 

Sturridge didn't play centrally, plus he set up for chances a couple of times. If he had played centrally, we would be playing Blackburn.

Mark's argument is that Sturridge is excused from not scoring, because he did not play centrally. I have clearly shown that Sturridge did have chances through the centre, but failed to score.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #1135: Feb 10, 2016 12:07:13 am
      Voted Lucas MOTM, solid in everything he did. Think I only saw one pass go astray. As for the foul at the end, when two players come together to challenge for the ball. the player at the back, is always gonna put his hand up to defend himself from a studding while he has his eye on the ball. All night long, as soon as a touch was felt, a touch, not a shove or a push, a mere touch, the west ham players went to ground like they'd just been hit by a steam train. I was ranting about it all night, saying at some stage, the ref is gonna book them for diving. He didn't. We failed firstly due to Benteke's crap finishing. He alone, could have had 4 at least, and any decent striker would have. That's four from about eight chances. That's what cost us tonight, not Lucas, not even the disgraceful embarrassing effort of a ref. (he made poor decisions both ways) who fell for every sunday league trick in the book. How he ever got to referee at that level, heaven only knows.
      Bitterly disappointed with the result, but relatively pleased with the overall performance from most .
      What has happened to the potential we saw in Ibe. His final ball, be it a pass or a cross, has become so poor, it makes all the decent work with his pace worthless. We are for ever trying to race back from attacking positions, trying to recover the ball, from what should have been a scoring opportunity.
      Soul destroying, Just soul destroying. That's the most deflated Iv'e seen Jürgen after a match, and the closest iv'e seen him lost for words.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #1136: Feb 10, 2016 12:08:07 am
      That wasn't the point though was it?

The assertion made was that Sturridge did not play through the centre. He clearly did, yet failed to score. That's what I said, and what I showed. 

Mark's argument is that Sturridge is excused from not scoring, because he did not play centrally.

Quote away and put your links in all you like. You know, I know and everyone else knows you're wrong.

I can't be arsed with your childish responses anymore, so I'll leave you to w*nk yourself into a stupor over the truly wonderful Benteke.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1137: Feb 10, 2016 12:11:28 am
      No. The trend is created because I tend to support Liverpool players, where as certain posters here love to pick a name out of the hat and forbid them from playing for Liverpool. I'm never part of the witch hunt and appeal for reason.

Benteke had a good game tonight. He played really well, he just didn't finish the few chances that he had. The only clear cut chance was the 1v1. Had to score, and has to be held accountable for that miss chance. Other chances were nothing special. Much like Sturridge, Origi, Countinho, and others. Players miss chances. They don't always score. With Benteke, every miss is exaggerated.

All of a sudden he's utter rubbish. No class. No form. Just nothing. Apparently. Now I don't take that. The overhead goal he scored against Utd is forgotten. Intentionally. It goes on and on. I'm sick of it really.

Sadly the witch hunt clouds judgement. Fans look for the errors. Glad to see them so they can place another mark against the player. Not me though.

So why haven't we seen you in the Moreno & Mignolet threads, staunchly supporting them against these witch hunts/ lynchings?
      DanMann

• 5,788 posts | 892 
      Reply #1138: Feb 10, 2016 12:13:15 am
      Have to look at the positives here. Finally we get a cut in the number of games our lads are playing. Our players are exhausted, and the reduction albeit small will do them some good. I'd much rather us be in the next round, but it is what it is.

Sturridge and Coutinho are back, and there's Flanagan and Origi too. Team played well tonight and we will be much improved going forward now. Sturridge looked class again tonight, and I'm hopeful he's come back strong. Countinho too. Was missing in parts, but he's got a goal in his bag.

Finally we've overcome a stumbling block. Less injuries, less games..

Even with Benteke not scoring, he's looking much improved. Sturridge, Origi and Ben looked good together, and with Firminho on form too, the goals will come. Hope tonight will be the last disappointment for some time.
      DanMann

• 5,788 posts | 892 
      Reply #1139: Feb 10, 2016 12:14:13 am
      So why haven't we seen you in the Moreno & Mignolet threads, staunchly supporting them against these witch hunts/ lynchings?

Damn. You got me.

:lmao:
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,005 posts | 224 
      Reply #1140: Feb 10, 2016 12:15:24 am
      Obviously dissapointed but pleased with the creativity and number of chances we created. Just shows having a striker like Sturridge on the pitch scares the sh*t out of defenders. That mazy dribbling run where he mugged a couple of players would have been a thing if beauty if it came off.

What does Ward have to do get a game, surely no one can back Migs (apart from Klopp it seems)

Apart from the goal at the end the back 4 played well but it's clear to see how limited Flanno is with his passing and Smith great going forward but just as liable as Moreno defensively.

Chiravella and Stewart played well when he wasn't trying to pass the ball but both clearly tired towards the end which is understandable.

Tex was anonomous and you can see why he won't be here next season.

The most dissapointing player on the pitch was actually Ibe who has regressed so badly this season, nothing worse than a player who makes a few mistakes then goes hiding, weak mentality!

Not going to comment on Benteke.

Really looking forward to the rest of the season with Coutinho, Firmino and Sturridge tearing it up.

Tex through ball to ben that won the free kick, he made a few dangerous passes in the 2nd half that our forwards fvked up
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1141: Feb 10, 2016 12:18:51 am

No funny lad quite pathetic.

One only has to go to the Moses thread to read your over the top defence of an average player where the consensus of the majority was that he is sh*te as it is now with Benteke.

What is your agenda?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1142: Feb 10, 2016 12:20:00 am
      Voted Stewart MOTM

Check his match stats . Lad put a shift in .

Yeah - I thought he was really good as well and I toyed between him and Lucas. He did that DM role with such discipline and competency throughout this match and the home tie at Anfield. Quietly impressed with this guy. It was nice to see a midfield performance that was clear in what he had to do. Almost an anti Can performance. I would really like to see him get another couple of starts in the Liverpool shirt this season because he certainly deserves it, certainly more so than the likes of Can.

He should be proud of himself. Handling himself so well at Anfield over a week ago and again tonight at one of the toughest away grounds. Well played Kevin!
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #1143: Feb 10, 2016 12:20:01 am
      Hmm, tough defeat to take, again.
      Lucas, amazing performance for a man played out of position; Ilori - superb most of the time.
      Chirivella and Stewart while they were together played really well, I thought.  So the two areas that looked weakest to me at kick off, proved sound.  I find my lack of faith disturbing.
      Lots of flack for Benteke, who actually played really well at times - just not as a striker!
      Massive difference when Sturridge came on - how we've missed him - he looked calm, confident, clever... knew exactly what he was doing.  Set up solid chances for others who weren't in position or sufficiently sharp of mind to take them. Made a couple of chances for himself and showed how a striker should read the space and find the position of maximum danger at the perfect time.  Perhaps he could coach Benteke!?
      Really upset to be out of the FA cup, but feel surprisingly positive about a lot of things about how we performed.  My god, if we could play Sturridge for the rest of the season we might still make top 4 !!!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1144: Feb 10, 2016 12:20:12 am
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaLWzyyEq5k

Seems Jürgen didn't think it was a free-kick either, clearly gutted to go out like the rest of us "the door wide open" remark should ring in some people's ears.

Do find it interesting that when crediting the youth players he's twice left Teixeira of the credit reel, wonder if that's a sign of where he sees his future who knows.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1145: Feb 10, 2016 12:21:08 am
      Wrong team in what way? Wrong striker perhaps but other than that I thought all the lads played much much better than our regular XI

I think the lads played much better too. I was worried before hand but in fairness they've easily matched and outperformed the average-ness of the "first" team.

The first team really aren't a good barometer in which to measure/gauge how good the young lads are; facing them up against premiership opposition is. They look better technically on the ball to me and can move the ball forward at pace.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1146: Feb 10, 2016 12:22:08 am
      Voted Stewart MOTM

Check his match stats . Lad put a shift in .

Yeah - I thought he was really good as well. He did that DM role with such discipline and competency throughout this match and the home tie at Anfield. Quietly impressed with the guy. It was nice to see a midfield performance that was clear in what he had to do. Almost an anti Can performance.

Yep did really well, the ref really should be ashamed a challenge like this gets nothing and then Lucas' gets given as a free kick

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #1147: Feb 10, 2016 12:26:42 am
      My biggest concern after the lack of goals (goes without saying, sadly) is that we still give the ball away while under very little pressure and seem happy to play a pass to a team mate who is clearly in no position to receive it.  We invite pressure, too often, and try to thread the needle with our passes in dangerous areas.  We looked most dangerous when playing it forwards in a more direct and urgent fashion.  If we mix styles like this in a cup tie replay, why can't we do it in the league?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #1148: Feb 10, 2016 12:29:03 am
      We lost because of an individual mistake in the last minute of extra time.

Yeah, a huge mistake. By the F***ing REF !  And one of many.

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #1149: Feb 10, 2016 12:30:07 am
      Yep did really well, the ref really should be ashamed a challenge like this gets nothing and then Lucas' gets given as a free kick

Too bl**dy right he should.  I actually thought he'd broken it.  And Valencia hits the turf after the merest touch on his back (there was clearly no 'push' as that requires Lucas's hands to be moving forward away from his body) and that wins them the tie and sends us out?  I'm chuffing furious.

Quick Reply