Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      9 (10.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.2%)
      Lucas Leiva
      11 (13.3%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      7 (8.4%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      1 (1.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      10 (12%)
      Roberto Firmino
      33 (39.8%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      4 (4.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      5 (6%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Joao Teixeira
      2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: Feb 27, 2016 08:08:03 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Augsburg: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25793 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Augsburg: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Feb 25, 2016 10:28:53 pm
      Phew, some great performances tonight.
      Firmino, Lucas, Sturridge, Can, Coutinho all played well. Firmino is a completely different player to what we saw at the start of the season - showing a real grit in his performances for the last 3 months.
      I gave MOTM to Milner though. Ran his socks off, has a football brain on him, and buried the pen in a clinical fashion.

Milner MOTM?
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,943 posts | 286 
      Reply #461: Feb 25, 2016 10:32:52 pm

He has to be up there with Firmino on distance covered. He hardly ever looses the ball and looks to go forward. He also put us through...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #462: Feb 25, 2016 10:47:25 pm
      Don't want an Italian side, they are just too clever for us tactically at the moment. A big side would be nice though as they will be concentrating on the league while we can put everything into the cup.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,229 posts | 4421 
      Reply #463: Feb 25, 2016 10:51:50 pm
      He has to be up there with Firmino on distance covered. He hardly ever looses the ball and looks to go forward. He also put us through...

Hardly ever loses the ball    :lmao: :lmao: surely comedy post of the year.

He can't control a pass without giving it away to save his life!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #464: Feb 25, 2016 11:33:29 pm

You saved me the job of replying to that , thought he was average at best tonight and that's me being kind.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #465: Feb 25, 2016 11:41:26 pm
      Long day, didn't see any of the match, or any highlights, but delighted to hear we got through and are into the last 16. Job done.

Looking forward to Sunday now, hopefully watch us raise some silverware :)
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #466: Feb 25, 2016 11:47:55 pm
      some shocking defending. we gift wrap chances for the opporsition

glad were through, but we will get punished time and time again from any form of half decent team with the poor defending and slack finishing
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #467: Feb 25, 2016 11:48:40 pm
      For the draw, do we get country protection for next round?
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #468: Feb 25, 2016 11:49:31 pm
      For the draw, do we get country protection for next round?

no, its open to get anyone now
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 686 posts | 91 
      Reply #469: Feb 25, 2016 11:58:48 pm
      Feel we need to be far more clinical against Citeh on Sunday. Against more formidable opposition could have been a different story. Anyway we are through to the next round, that's what counts.
      Agree completely, if we're that sloppy on Sunday we're gonna get thumped.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 686 posts | 91 
      Reply #470: Feb 26, 2016 12:03:04 am
      Always 10/10 for effort and commitment but only about 6/10 for performance in terms of quality.  When was the last time he took a decent corner or that savvy  defence splitting pass?
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,943 posts | 286 
      Reply #471: Feb 26, 2016 12:16:01 am

Hilarious. You obviously have a vendetta against him, which mean your opinion is more important than others...

I'm not saying hes a world beater, he's a pretty average footballer with the right attitude, just like Henderson. He was the best of the midfield bunch tonight.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #472: Feb 26, 2016 12:18:48 am
      MOTM    Firmino .... again.

Class.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #473: Feb 26, 2016 01:19:31 am
      Phew!

10 minutes to go, 1 nil up and it all gets a bit twitchy.

Some notes:

Sahko was boss. At times he looked like a 1 man central defense, he also, didn't IMHO look comfortable with Lucas alongside him. Who, on three separate occasions could have cost us. He was decent in other parts but looked the equivalent of Mignolet in goal, an accident waiting to happen. The first incident was a sloppy ball out from the back in two minutes which broke to them to put that Cabauy fella in with a good opportunity on goal, Lucas was nowhere to be seen. Then, he played another sloppy blind pass back to Mignolet for Cabauy (or whatever his name is) who was angled out of it by Mignolet. Lucky boy. At this point, it's worthy to note if Cabauy had been a better player we'd have conceded at least 1 goal by then. He also, sold himself by edging to the ball in the second half and Cabauy (again) rolled him got to the byline and cut it back, two of their players missed it but it was a twitchy time.

I don't know whether Toure was injured (I don't think he was on the bench so he may have been) but hopefully he'll be fit for Sunday's game.

Sturridge looked quality, especially in the first half, his touch and his passing was at times exquisite.

Henderson, again, yet another poor performance how he never scored from five yards out, to put the nerves at rest I'll never know!

Firmino worked hard again and he to me looks like the equivalent of a Brazilian Dirk Kuyt, although not popping up with the occasional crucial goal. He's a good team player but still needs to do more than just work his socks off - a little more end product would be good.

The penalty was soft, and I think we had a few decisions go our way tonight which I'm not complaining about, so now we're into the next round of 16 and all is good.

PS. Our fans are f**king sh*te! Out sung ALL NIGHT long by a German contingent who no doubt rallied their troops on, ours sat their stuffing their face with prawn sandwiches! Disappointing that.

Now, onto Sunday's game!
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #474: Feb 26, 2016 02:00:27 am
      never seen a softer penno...thanks ref
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,986 posts | 5045 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #475: Feb 26, 2016 05:58:02 am
      f***in bring on the Scummy kunt's,  I'd f***in love it if we drew them, just to see us batter that final nail in their shitty season and condemn them to winning F**k ALL...... Again,

Also seeing the pictures of the directors box and old alchopop slurgurson squirming witnessing total annihilation and lfc knocking the kunt off his perch,

Please let this happen, we'd be talking about it for f***in years  :lmao:

YNWA
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #476: Feb 26, 2016 07:05:24 am
      Watched the game on record when I got in (6pm kick offs? Not for me, Clive)

Looked promising going forward. Obviously look a completely different threat with Couts and Studge on the pitch. Think Phil is massively behind on match fitness though. I liked Sturridge reaction to be taken off, shows a bit of fight. I feel we need a selfish type in our line-up, too many nice lads.

Defence was giving me the shits the whole game though. Obviously make shift with Lucas, but Can and Hendo didn't do anywhere near enough to protect us. No pace, so the high press is dangerous. I worry for the final if this is the same team (with Kolo on for Lucas) because City have the pace to hurt us.

Overall, not a bad performance, got past a potential banana skin, and into the big games now from here on in. Let's hope it's a special season of 2 trophies come May!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,229 posts | 4421 
      Reply #477: Feb 26, 2016 07:12:49 am
      Hilarious. You obviously have a vendetta against him, which mean your opinion is more important than others...

I'm not saying hes a world beater, he's a pretty average footballer with the right attitude, just like Henderson. He was the best of the midfield bunch tonight.

No vendetta I just like footballers who have some attributes that would describe them as footballers. Not someone who even falls over trying to make a pass or a cross like a 9 year old.

It's amazing that Milner gets praised for slotting a penalty and the rest of his 90 min performance his glossed over, and people wonder why we are performing so poorly!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #478: Feb 26, 2016 09:42:44 am
      Don't know what to make of that performance. I didn't think we played that well to be honest but we had three or four great chances to put Augsburg away, we made hard work of it at times.

Mignolet - Couldn't fault him. He wasn't involved too much but when he was he did his job. Made a couple of nice saves/punches. His distribution was better too.

Clyne - Defended well but offered little going forward. Seem to be saying the same thing every week.

Sakho - Handled their big centre forward well. Cant remember him putting him a foot wrong.

Lucas - My motm. Playing out of position but he is just so comfortable there.  Played Mignolet a danger pass in the first half which their forward latched on to. Had that been somebody of Agueros quality then we lose a goal there. Apart from that, he was solid and calm. Hes a tough little f**ker as well, had their big strong centre forward on his arse a few times.

Moreno - Same as Clyne. Defended well but nothing great going forward. He gets himself in advanced positions but his final pass or shooting never reaches its target.

Henderson - I've been critical of Hendo since hes been here really but last night I thought he played pretty well. But he was only good at the things ive always said he was good at! Basically he got around the pitch well, he has tons of energy, helps his team mates out loads, presses none stop. But he can't pick a quality pass out and he can't strike a ball either. Covers a lot of grass but he passes the ball sideways too often for my liking. We need somebody in the middle who can dictate the game and drive the team forward, dribble, run at teams, shoot, pass. He needs to up his game.

Can - Thought the lad was dreadful and Im shocked he stayed on the pitch.

Milner - Great pen as always but had little or no other contribution than that.

Coutinho - Was frustrating the sh*t out of me. I love Coutinho and how he plays football, its right up my street, but he always seems to do one too many tricks or keeps hold of the ball longer than he should. Either release the F***ing thing and pass it on or get your shot away quicker.

Firmino - Hes growing with each game and he works his bollocks off too. He will be a top player for us him.

Sturridge - One or two nice touches or passes, should have scored in the first half perhaps, decent enough performance. We always look better with him on the pitch.

To summarise, we were much the better team and deserved to go through. I just don't think we are ruthless enough when we go forward. Our passing needs to be slicker, we need to play with a lot more tempo moving forward in this competition.

If we are going to win on Sunday I think every player needs to up their game. I'd say we didn't get out of second gear last night.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #479: Feb 26, 2016 10:05:44 am
      I think Milner should take all our set pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzUsfc6LgJg
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,609 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #480: Feb 26, 2016 10:10:24 am
      Great result, last 16 for 1st time in 5 years. Well done all.

Cant believe any player is getting slagged off, we should have won by more than 1 easy. esp. Milner himself & Hendo ran their socks off, maybe nothing too flash, but they never stopped against a very very hard working team.

Just final ball and finishing let us down.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #481: Feb 26, 2016 10:14:22 am
      Great result, last 16 for 1st time in 5 years. Well done all.

Cant believe any player is getting slagged off, we should have won by more than 1 easy. esp. Milner himself & Hendo ran their socks off, maybe nothing too flash, but they never stopped against a very very hard working team.

Just final ball and finishing let us down.
      I've been impressed by Milner ever since he came to Liverpool. He has been a breath a fresh air into the Liverpool side, better than Allen, Hendo, Lucas, Lallana, Lucas, Can, Ibe... etc and yet he constantly goes un noticed.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,665 posts | 491 
      Reply #482: Feb 26, 2016 10:31:47 am
      I've been impressed by Milner ever since he came to Liverpool. He has been a breath a fresh air into the Liverpool side, better than Allen, Hendo, Lucas, Lallana, Lucas, Can, Ibe... etc and yet he constantly goes un noticed.
      Haha! You got to be kidding!

Quick Reply