Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Mignolet
      12 (10.5%)
      Clyne
      2 (1.8%)
      Lucas
      81 (71.1%)
      Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Milner
      5 (4.4%)
      Henderson
      2 (1.8%)
      Can
      2 (1.8%)
      Coutinho
      6 (5.3%)
      Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Kolo
      3 (2.6%)
      Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Origi
      1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Feb 29, 2016 09:10:06 pm

League Cup Final Liverpool 1:1 Man City (ET) 1:3 after penalties.

Read 46050 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: League Cup Final Liverpool 1:1 Man City (ET) 1:3 after penalties.
      Reply #1035: Feb 28, 2016 11:32:43 pm
      Gonna have a party the day Mignolet gets offloaded as someone elses problem.

As for our our captain and vice captain and two strikers swerving penalties. Shambolic and embarrassing.

Dont let the door damage your ligamemts on the way out Danny.

I'm clearly not one of Milner's fans but to his defence his was down for pen 5 so perhaps he gets off your hit list but as for Hendo/Origi/Sturridge, while I can try and make cases for them the truth is you're right.

Carra's reaction to Sturridge not taking a pen was pretty damning. Origi perhaps should have been told he's taking one, I don't know, the psychology and confidence behind penalty selection is a bit unique.

I know Jürgen said that the lads had a penalty session just in case, they arranged it themselves rather than Jürgen planning (something he mentioned before the game) not sure how much this influenced the selection of takers either.

Leaders. Since Suarez and Gerrard left the club has been desperately short of them.
      Seems Sakho was the one that wanted it most and he had to come off.

Fair point.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1036: Feb 28, 2016 11:48:30 pm
      Dissapointing to lose, especially on pens but Citeh deserved the win, we have a big rebuilding job on our hands in the summer, at least 3 new midfielders to replace Milner, Can and Henderson plus a top notch striker and goalkeeper.

We don't need major surgery, we just need a few match winners in the side. Right now we only have Sturridge and he's no where near 120 minutes fit.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,656 posts | 3890 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1037: Feb 29, 2016 12:00:20 am
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #1038: Feb 29, 2016 12:00:42 am
      We've lost Suarez, Sterling, Gerrard and even Sturridge for most of the season. Man City have one of the worlds richest people unashamedly buying trophies for them. we did ok. Its changed from the days when "coming second was nothing".
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1039: Feb 29, 2016 12:06:13 am
      Still hurts like a motherfucker!
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,938 posts | 285 
      Reply #1040: Feb 29, 2016 12:06:22 am
      Lucas was outstanding.

We didnt deserve to win, but fair play to the lads we were in with a chance at the death and could easily have snatched it.

Origi has impressed me with every cameo he's made.

Dont understand the penality takers. We only had 1 left and Sturridge and Milner hadn't taken one.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1041: Feb 29, 2016 12:11:22 am
      Lucas was outstanding.

We didnt deserve to win, but fair play to the lads we were in with a chance at the death and could easily have snatched it.

Dont understand the penality takers. We only had 1 left and Sturridge and Milner hadn't taken one.

Sturridge was apparently too knackered, bigger wonder for me, how can your captain not take one?
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #1042: Feb 29, 2016 12:18:47 am
      Sturridge was apparently too knackered, bigger wonder for me, how can your captain not take one?

Henderson a) mightn't be very good at penalties. The one he has taken for us was awful and he was lucky to score. b) Might've been physically exhausted

Lucas was outstanding.

Remember Suarez's boss penalty against Cardiff in the league cup final in 2012? Me neither.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1043: Feb 29, 2016 12:42:46 am
      Lucas was outstanding.

Yeah agree with you about Origi. He looked useless during the first part of the season but now it's as if he's a different player. I never knew we had a player whose timing and direction of runs were so good.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #1044: Feb 29, 2016 01:43:53 am
      poor performance, thought we were slow in possession and offered little threat, the balls from front to back were not great, the movement from most was not good enough, we had one shot on target i think. every time one of our payers got the ball they seemed to pass it backwards
      never want to see us loose, it burns, but im getting more used to it with this current crop of ballers.

not sure what all the 'lucas was immense' dross is about, he done ok for a makeshift center back, but city had some glorious opportunities and could of easily run away with the match.

Mignolet is a nightmare in goal, Moreno hates defending, clyne has no end product. with Can, Hendo and Milner we have no creativity and our front three were not on song. Sturry kept dropping too deep to try and get in the match.

i expect some of the starting 11 from today to be gone in the summer.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #1045: Feb 29, 2016 02:37:47 am
      Not our best game, but when we went into penalties, really thought we had a good chance.

Bloody Caballero, they were some saves!
      Gutted, we came really close there.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1046: Feb 29, 2016 02:55:13 am
      poor performance, thought we were slow in possession and offered little threat, the balls from front to back were not great, the movement from most was not good enough, we had one shot on target i think. every time one of our payers got the ball they seemed to pass it backwards
      never want to see us loose, it burns, but im getting more used to it with this current crop of ballers.

not sure what all the 'lucas was immense' dross is about, he done ok for a makeshift center back, but city had some glorious opportunities and could of easily run away with the match.

Mignolet is a nightmare in goal, Moreno hates defending, clyne has no end product. with Can, Hendo and Milner we have no creativity and our front three were not on song. Sturry kept dropping too deep to try and get in the match.

i expect some of the starting 11 from today to be gone in the summer.

Bit harsh that mate, especially when you think back to our last Wembley appearance and the way we threw the towel in against a poor Villa. At least this time we fought to the end, showed some spirit and more or less held our own.

Yes, we have problems with creativity, but I thought defensively we were pretty decent. Citeh have too many good players not to get a couple of chances in a game, our problem for me was we didn't create many chances at their end.

We didn't do enough to deserve to win the game , but Citeh for all their big name players weren't that much better than us.

Thought Lucas had a great game, not sure what more you expected of him?

Very disappointed that we lost, but agree we need a few better quality players if we are going to start winning these big games consistently.       
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1047: Feb 29, 2016 03:14:37 am
      Absolutely gutted, feel sick to the stomach.

Overall, our performance was okay. City had the better chances so perhaps they'd see themselves as deserved winners more. 'Okay' performances though aren't enough at this level in games of such magnitude. Had we have been much better in the final third we could have carved the kind of openings City did and take them. For that, I found Sturridge bitterly disappointing and yet again I'm left asking myself what all the hype about Firmino is.

To lose on penalties though is sickening and if there was one player who didn't deserve to be on the losing team today it was Lucas Levia. The Brazilian for me, was the best player on the park and I hate to say it but I could see it in his eyes that he was never going to score that penalty. I do wonder why Milner wasn't picked at the top end to take the penalties but that's by the by now.

I thought Mignolet redeemed himself in the 2 hours of football after conceding from such an angle, it was a howler. However, himself along with Lucas at the back really dug in. We just had nothing going the other way and even with our "best 3" up top we looked as toothless as we have all season without Sturridge, who again I must reiterate was very poor. It's times like this you wish you had a midfield[er] to back up the strikers who are hitting a brick wall, with a gut busting run, long rang effort [yes Steven Gerrard] or something to make it happen for the lads who are literally firing blanks.

We controlled the rest of the game quite well, and left ourselves open to attack which was worrying at the times. And because of that, I think I went through a few pairs of undies watching that game.

All in all, it will be a final to forget now, no achievement was made, spirits low, so the sooner the next game rolls in the better.

YNWA to those fans at Wembley who did their bit on a disappointing afternoon.

ps. f**k knows how you lot have the inclination and concentration to post in here during a cup final!
      « Last Edit: Feb 29, 2016 06:05:37 am by Beerbelly »
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #1048: Feb 29, 2016 04:45:09 am

Lucas was great. He is a very clever player. Yet the English press don't give him credit. They think Michael Carrick is a good DM/Cm because he has no pace so he doesn't run around like a headless chicken. He does it's just he a slow headless chicken.

Lucas played stopper, an unfamiliar position against a world class striker and without really clever DM's in front of him. He did well!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1049: Feb 29, 2016 05:35:50 am
      I thought we played okay and can hold very few regrets. In all honesty we played the role of the plucky underdog really, although we did have our own moments to win it if our final ball at times was anything like.

A bit more quality and a little less nervousness and we could have won it. Sturridge and Firminho really weren't at it today and Milner was his usual industrious but unsubtle self.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #1050: Feb 29, 2016 05:48:40 am
      Cannot fault the effort the lads put out after we conceded.We were actually the better team in the last quarter and the extra time I think. I think apart for Henderson and Moreno everyone played well.

Special mention to Lucas and Toure who are probably our 4th choice center back pairing. One is not a center back and the other only comes in when all our other options are not available but still both of them give 120% every time and they have been playing for ages now. You can only dream of players having that kind of professionalism and dedication in them.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1051: Feb 29, 2016 06:34:55 am
      A £32 million useless player on the bench.

Says it all how things have to change this summer ...
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #1052: Feb 29, 2016 06:55:10 am
      It was a sh*te result but at least we will not have to worry about Jürgen taking a flight to Boston.It would not surprise me if Kenny had a word with the lads about the consequences if we had beat City.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,313 posts | 1671 
      Reply #1053: Feb 29, 2016 07:01:20 am
      Henderson a) mightn't be very good at penalties. The one he has taken for us was awful and he was lucky to score. b) Might've been physically exhausted

Remember Suarez's boss penalty against Cardiff in the league cup final in 2012? Me neither.

Fair point . They all earn around 100K a week and practice all week .Coutinho must shoot at goals nearly every day. Just feel Lucas should have had his taken by a forward
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1054: Feb 29, 2016 07:07:07 am
      Absolutely gutted, feel sick to the stomach.

Overall, our performance was okay. City had the better chances so perhaps they'd see themselves as deserved winners more. 'Okay' performances though aren't enough at this level in games of such magnitude. Had we have been much better in the final third we could have carved the kind of openings City did and take them. For that, I found Sturridge bitterly disappointing and yet again I'm left asking myself what all the hype about Firmino is.

To lose on penalties though is sickening and if there was one player who didn't deserve to be on the losing team today it was Lucas Levia. The Brazilian for me, was the best player on the park and I hate to say it but I could see it in his eyes that he was never going to score that penalty. I do wonder why Milner wasn't picked at the top end to take the penalties but that's by the by now.

I thought Mignolet redeemed himself in the 2 hours of football after conceding from such an angle, it was a howler. However, himself along with Lucas at the back really dug in. We just had nothing going the other way and even with our "best 3" up top we looked as toothless as we have all season without Sturridge, who again I must reiterate was very poor. It's times like this you wish you had a midfield[er] to back up the strikers who are hitting a brick wall, with a gut busting run, long rang effort [yes Steven Gerrard] or something to make it happen for the lads who are literally firing blanks.

We controlled the rest of the game quite well, and left ourselves open to attack which was worrying at the times. And because of that, I think I went through a few pairs of undies watching that game.

All in all, it will be a final to forget now, no achievement was made, spirits low, so the sooner the next game rolls in the better.

YNWA to those fans at Wembley who did their bit on a disappointing afternoon.

ps. f**k knows how you lot have the inclination and concentration to post in here during a cup final!

*nods head throughout post*
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Re: Live Match Thread: Liverpool vs Man. City. League Cup Final
      Reply #1055: Feb 29, 2016 08:08:45 am
      So clear that playing two similar limited players like Can and Hendo just does not work although to be fair Can did improve in the second half.

But Hendo was a passenger for 120mins, Playing CM is just asking too much from him he doesn't have the ability, either play him as a box to box player or leave him on the bench.
      Every single pass he received in midfield went straight back as he doesn't have the ability to turn with the ball with a defender on him.

He has a plantar fasciitis injury which makes it painful for him to walk.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1056: Feb 29, 2016 08:11:05 am
      Seen Jack and The Edge taking a Masterclass from Jimmy Page showing them Kashmir ?
      Hasn't got the bird in it though Racer.

Shes class.

We just lost a cup final.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1057: Feb 29, 2016 08:13:46 am
      He has a plantar fasciitis injury which makes it painful for him to walk.

He looked fine yesterday, full of running.................

Quick Reply