Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Very outside chance of Champions League in 16-17. Question is...

Read 15896 times
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Re: Very outside chance of Champions League in 16-17. Question is...
      Reply #115: Apr 11, 2016 01:04:12 pm
      Not getting my hopes up but if we do win Europa, it would be wonderful to deny shitty that CL place and the look on Pep's face !!
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #116: Apr 11, 2016 01:06:41 pm
      Not getting my hopes up but if we do win Europa, it would be wonderful to deny shitty that CL place and the look on Pep's face !!

But, if City finish fourth they still qualify.

Even if we win the Europa League. It's a maximum of five teams who qualify from any country, not four.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #117: Apr 11, 2016 01:34:30 pm

Even if we win the Europa League. It's a maximum of five teams who qualify from any country, not four.
      Re-jig it a little for maximum schadenfreude. City win the champions league, we win Europa, United come 4th. Epic lolz. I genuinely think LVGs head would do the impossible and explode.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #118: Apr 11, 2016 02:22:00 pm
      Re-jig it a little for maximum schadenfreude. City win the champions league, we win Europa, United come 4th. Epic lolz. I genuinely think LVGs head would do the impossible and explode.

Spot on mate.

The fourth-place team in the Premier League may drop into the Europa League if both Liverpool and Manchester City lift silverware in Europe this season.

UEFA rules stipulate that each association can have a maximum of five clubs in the Champions League for the 2016/17 season, meaning if Manchester City win this season's competition and Liverpool win the Europa League, the fourth-place side will have to drop out, provided Manchester City and Liverpool do not finish in the top four.

That means the likes of Arsenal, West Ham or Manchester United, all in and around the top four places at present, could lose their Champions League reward if they finished fourth.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #119: Apr 11, 2016 02:32:18 pm
      Re-jig it a little for maximum schadenfreude. City win the champions league, we win Europa, United come 4th.
      Epic lolz.
      I genuinely think LVGs head would do the impossible and explode.

;D

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #120: Apr 11, 2016 02:56:02 pm

Oooh! Got it!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,579 posts | 1805 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #121: Apr 12, 2016 12:53:53 pm
      ok for us to get top 4 now, we need to win all of our games, and hope that Man city lose at least 2 games, and the other teams lose at least 1 game.

Possible, but very improbable.

5th is possible, win our game in hand and we are only 2 points behind the mancs, 6th now gets Europa as city won the Carling cup v us. :-( 

There is still a lot to play for in the league. From here I'd say 6th is the minimum we should be getting, we are one of the form teams now, top scorers in 2016.

And if, big if, we get through on Thursday, we have a fantastic chance of winning Europa, which get's us Champions league anyway.

Let's do this LFC.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #122: Apr 12, 2016 01:23:55 pm
      ok for us to get top 4 now, we need to win all of our games, and hope that Man city lose at least 2 games, and the other teams lose at least 1 game.

Possible, but very improbable.

5th is possible, win our game in hand and we are only 2 points behind the mancs, 6th now gets Europa as city won the Carling cup v us. :-( 

There is still a lot to play for in the league. From here I'd say 6th is the minimum we should be getting, we are one of the form teams now, top scorers in 2016.

And if, big if, we get through on Thursday, we have a fantastic chance of winning Europa, which get's us Champions league anyway.

Let's do this LFC.

Anything's possible this season mate so no way should we be taking our foot off the gas. 

Those above us still have some tough fixtures ans as you say we're one of the form teams since the new year.  2nd or 3rd I believe in the form league since then.

Obviously it's a huge ask to finish in the CL qualification places as we're relying on others to faulter but there's absolutely no reason to think we can't or won't get some sort of European football next season.

Aim for as many points as possible, finish as high as possible and get ready to go again next season.  I'd hate to think everything will just peter out like last season ended.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #123: Apr 16, 2016 08:50:41 am
      Its all got a bit closer after Thursday night...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #124: Apr 16, 2016 09:00:13 am
      What is this weird feeling taking over my body?

It's not disappointment. Not distraught. Not pain...

F***ing hell, i think it's hope and excitement!

Let's win every game and see where we end up ;D
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,717 posts | 3723 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #125: Apr 16, 2016 09:01:02 am
      Its all got a bit closer after Thursday night...

Yes, it did and we need to play to our strengths and we can achieve it 'easily'. Three finals are left.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,130 posts | 456 
      Reply #126: Apr 17, 2016 04:19:57 am
      What happens for arguement sake the winners of Europa have already booked a place in Champions league via league position does the runners up get that place designated for Europa?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #127: Apr 17, 2016 08:14:47 am
      Our league position will take care of itself, obviously we want to finish as high as possible, however, correct me if I'm wrong here, bare with me....

Foxes win the title, CL auto
      Spuds bridesmaids CL auto
      Arse third CL auto
      Citeh 4th CL qualification....
      Now comes the confusion... If say City were to win the CL, they defend it automatically yes?  Now wouldn't that allow the fifth placed side probably Munts into the qualification spot for CL?

Here comes the best bit....when we win the Europa thingy we qualify for the CL and therefore relegate Munts from that qualification spot, I think that's correct,  please someone confirm, if so it's a brilliantly perfect end to a proper fu**ed up season, but very very satisfying all the same!!

YNWA
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #128: Apr 17, 2016 08:20:37 am
      Our league position will take care of itself, obviously we want to finish as high as possible, however, correct me if I'm wrong here, bare with me....

Foxes win the title, CL auto
      Spuds bridesmaids CL auto
      Arse third CL auto
      Citeh 4th CL qualification....
      Now comes the confusion... If say City were to win the CL, they defend it automatically yes?  Now wouldn't that allow the fifth placed side probably Munts into the qualification spot for CL?

Here comes the best bit....when we win the Europa thingy we qualify for the CL and relegate Munts from that qualification spot, I think that's correct,  please someone confirm, if so it's the perfect end to a proper fu**ed up season, but very satisfying all the same!!

YNWA

Not quite Billy. 

If city win the CL but finish in 4th it makes no difference but if they finish in 5th and win it, it pushes the 4th placed team into the EL. 

It's only if we win the EL that we'll have 5 teams qualifying for CL.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,717 posts | 3723 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #129: Apr 17, 2016 08:22:13 am
      Not quite Billy. 

If city win the CL but finish in 4th it makes no difference but if they finish in 5th and win it, it pushes the 4th placed team into the EL. 

Exactly!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      Reply #130: Apr 17, 2016 08:31:33 am
      Not quite Billy. 

BUGGER!
      Thought we'd have a chance to sh*t on them fuckers for spouting their bile during the Europa games,  GUTTED!!   :mad:

YNWA
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #131: Apr 17, 2016 08:44:23 am
      BUGGER!
      Thought we'd have a chance to sh*t on them fuckers for spouting their bile during the Europa games,  GUTTED!!   :mad:

YNWA

Tbh mate as much as it would be nice to get one over on them, I'm more concerned that we have European football next season in whatever form it comes.

We need to get as high up the league as we can to achieve that as no matter the euphoria of Thursdays win we can't rely on winning it to get there.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      Reply #132: Apr 17, 2016 09:09:58 am
      Tbh mate as much as it would be nice to get one over on them, I'm more concerned that we have European football next season in whatever form it comes.

We need to get as high up the league as we can to achieve that as no matter the euphoria of Thursdays win we can't rely on winning it to get there.

I can see where your coming from mate and yes European football in whatever form is vitally important for LFC, however I keep asking myself how long do we have to wait for no19, what competition do we want most of all, how much sacrifice would you prepare to endure to ensure of the best possible chance of attaining the ultimate goal?
      For me a season without European football would not be the end of the world, particularly next season where financially it wouldn't be too much of a hit, having the money from the TV deal kind of softens the blow,
      We all want to see no 19, we almost had it in 13/14 season without the distraction of CL and in particular Europa league,

I think under Jürgen,  with his players yet to arrive,  and without European football we can and will make a serious challenge for the title next season, we have seen what can be done in just six short months of his tenure,  don't get me wrong here, I want to see CL football at Anfield as much as anyone,  and yes I suppose if you asked why can't we challenge on both fronts,well of course we can, but look how injury free Leicester have been this season, they have virtually gone the entire season playing a unchanged side, Ranieri has been able to field a fresh team each and every week,

I suppose it comes down to opinions and mine is if you want that title as much as we do then one season that would give us a more than average chance of winning it,then yes I would sacrifice European football.

YNWA
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #133: Apr 17, 2016 09:29:54 am
      I can see where your coming from mate and yes European football in whatever form is vitally important for LFC, however I keep asking myself how long do we have to wait for no19, what competition do we want most of all, how much sacrifice would you prepare to endure to ensure of the best possible chance of attaining the ultimate goal?
      For me a season without European football would not be the end of the world, particularly next season where financially it wouldn't be too much of a hit, having the money from the TV deal kind of softens the blow,
      We all want to see no 19, we almost had it in 13/14 season without the distraction of CL and in particular Europa league,

I think under Jürgen,  with his players yet to arrive,  and without European football we can and will make a serious challenge for the title next season, we have seen what can be done in just six short months of his tenure,  don't get me wrong here, I want to see CL football at Anfield as much as anyone,  and yes I suppose if you asked why can't we challenge on both fronts,well of course we can, but look how injury free Leicester have been this season, they have virtually gone the entire season playing a unchanged side, Ranieri has been able to field a fresh team each and every week,

I suppose it comes down to opinions and mine is if you want that title as much as we do then one season that would give us a more than average chance of winning it,then yes I would sacrifice European football.

YNWA

All of that is true mate but if we fail to get European footy next season we can't carry a huge squad like we currently have and there's no guarantee that being out of Europe will see us any closer to getting no.19.  We'll quite probably achieve CL footy but then you've got the issue of bringing in another 8 or 9 players to fill out the squad who then need to settle etc etc.

We now have a Manager that knows how to deal with League and European competition and being successful at it.  He'll have learnt a hell of a lot this season about the stresses of our league season compared to Germany so I want to see what he do in both.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      Reply #134: Apr 17, 2016 09:37:03 am
      All of that is true mate but if we fail to get European footy next season we can't carry a huge squad like we currently have and there's no guarantee that being out of Europe will see us any closer to getting no.19.  We'll quite probably achieve CL footy but then you've got the issue of bringing in another 8 or 9 players to fill out the squad who then need to settle etc etc.

We now have a Manager that knows how to deal with League and European competition and being successful at it.  He'll have learnt a hell of a lot this season about the stresses of our league season compared to Germany so I want to see what he do in both.

Fairy muff mate,like I said it's about opinions, challenging on both fronts is the way to go of course, I just want that Fookin title more than anything else, it's been far,far too long!!!

YNWA
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #135: Apr 17, 2016 09:48:24 am
      Fairy muff mate,like I said it's about opinions, challenging on both fronts is the way to go of course, I just want that Fookin title more than anything else, it's been far,far too long!!!

YNWA

Me too mate, me too.  I'm running out of years waiting for it, I'd hate to go to my grave not seeing us win it again.
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #136: Apr 18, 2016 06:16:50 pm
      5 of our next 6 games are against teams in the bottom half (Rentboys being the 6th). We can easily convert this into bit of a run and Pip the scum and Hammers for 5th. Having said that, it's these lower half teams we usually drop points against :(.

But we should definitely challenge on both ends. Allen and Milner need to be used very carefully if want to have any chance at this.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,357 posts | 290 
      Reply #137: Apr 18, 2016 10:43:13 pm

YNWA

It still haunts me most days not winning the league two years ago especially watching all this run in stuff with Leicester and Spurs, I bet it's crossed my mind at some point nearly every match I've watched us play since, I'll only let that go when we do win it I've never experienced a depressing week like that over a football result after that Chelsea game.

All that said I'll be over the b*stard moon if we win the Europa League, we need a big one and I class that as a big one especially with CL spot that goes with it, this is a massive point now for who Jürgen can attract for next season a CL spot would be huge.
      COME ON LADS

Quick Reply