Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Quarter Finals - who do we want? We got Dortmund!

Read 20879 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Re: Quarter Finals - who do we want? We got Dortmund!
      Reply #161: Mar 26, 2016 09:14:04 am
      So Anyone excited to go to the Westfalienstadion ?  I have been there on many occasions. You will experience something you haven't before! Just gives you the feeling of good old football back!

Wish I was going. I'm sure the fans who go will have loads of great tales.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #162: Mar 26, 2016 07:21:07 pm
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #163: Mar 26, 2016 07:37:03 pm
      Wait till Tuchel has a chance to get his own players in  :P

12 in 15 out, I'd say he already has.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #164: Mar 27, 2016 07:59:26 am
      Quote from Emlyn Hughes
      So Anyone excited to go to the Westfalienstadion ? ;) I have been there on many occasions. You will experience something you haven't before!

No  silent stadiums of money soaking clubs! :)

We've experienced every kind of atmosphere you can think of. So they can sing a bit and wave a flag or two, so what? Our fans can do the same too.

Every Bundesliga ground is a 2 hour long concert in the stands every game. Dortmund is no different to the rest of them.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,638 posts | 131 
      Reply #165: Mar 27, 2016 09:57:28 am
      We've experienced every kind of atmosphere you can think of. So they can sing a bit and wave a flag or two, so what? Our fans can do the same too.

Every Bundesliga ground is a 2 hour long concert in the stands every game. Dortmund is no different to the rest of them.

We did yeah! And Sure our supporter are famous and created great athmospheres but unfortunately they didn't do it in the past few years, just on some rare occasions. Atmosphere got worse and worse every season. Maybe it's paired with the poor performances of our team and the money floated into the league but we definitely lost some of this magic!
      30.000+ supporters at anfield used to create just as much noise as 80.0000+ in Dortmund. Now watch a league game. Just makes me furious every time you can hear the wind blowing through the stadium.
      And 80.000+ fans in the stadium are different to 66.000 pathetic glory hunter Bayern Fans.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,324 posts | 772 
      Reply #166: Mar 27, 2016 11:41:33 am
      Not optimistic tbh, especially with the first leg away. Still you have to play the best sides of the competition at some stage, to progress.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #167: Mar 27, 2016 12:06:32 pm
      Make no mistake, we can beat these.

They could run us over in Dortmund, but if they don't, then I expect a big European night at Anfield if we are still in the tie for the second leg. An away goal would be really nice.

Going to be two great occasions, and I expect the team to step up big time for this one.

Really could be the making of this team I feel.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8646 
      Reply #168: Mar 27, 2016 02:40:59 pm
      We did yeah! And Sure our supporter are famous and created great athmospheres but unfortunately they didn't do it in the past few years, just on some rare occasions. Atmosphere got worse and worse every season. Maybe it's paired with the poor performances of our team and the money floated into the league but we definitely lost some of this magic!
      30.000+ supporters at anfield used to create just as much noise as 80.0000+ in Dortmund. Now watch a league game. Just makes me furious every time you can hear the wind blowing through the stadium.
      And 80.000+ fans in the stadium are different to 66.000 pathetic glory hunter Bayern Fans.

24,000 in the case of Auxerre!!
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,241 posts | 1226 
      Reply #169: Mar 27, 2016 03:02:45 pm
      Make no mistake, we can beat these.

They could run us over in Dortmund, but if they don't, then I expect a big European night at Anfield if we are still in the tie for the second leg. An away goal would be really nice.

Going to be two great occasions, and I expect the team to step up big time for this one.

Really could be the making of this team I feel.

I agree mate. They look like a top side but if we can stay in it after the 1st leg, then at Anfield you know the game is well and truly on. If only we had a bit more experience and tactical nous defensively speaking the 1st leg mightn't seem so daunting.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #170: Apr 02, 2016 02:49:14 am
      Quote from Emlyn Hughes
      30.000+ supporters at anfield used to create just as much noise as 80.0000+ in Dortmund.
      And 80.000+ fans in the stadium are different to 66.000 Bayern Fans.

The only thing that is different is the capacity of the stadiums. Nothing else.

We may not have Ultras Sections, we may not have the "call and response" routine for team announcements and goals scored that Germans are fortunate to have, but our fans can well compete with Dortmund on the noise/atmosphere front, and they'll discover that when they turn up at Anfield.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #171: Apr 02, 2016 03:21:40 am
      So what will happen if the winner of the Europa League automatically qualifies for CL through their domestic league?

Am I correct to assume that... no one will then get CL via Europa League? or would the runner-up get Europa League?

If we were the runners up, it would mean we've beaten Dortmund, so they would be irrelevant.  But Villarreal looks like they could qualify via top four in Spain.  Sevilla and Athletic are also in with a shot.  Shakhtar are top of their own league.

basically I'm wondering, if we get to the final and lose to a team that will be in CL next season regardless, will we then be given a spot in to the CL?

or is that a pipe dream?
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #172: Apr 02, 2016 04:25:44 am
      myles away from these. funny stuff anyway
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #173: Apr 02, 2016 04:30:26 am
      So what will happen if the winner of the Europa League automatically qualifies for CL through their domestic league?

Am I correct to assume that... no one will then get CL via Europa League? or would the runner-up get Europa League?

If we were the runners up, it would mean we've beaten Dortmund, so they would be irrelevant.  But Villarreal looks like they could qualify via top four in Spain.  Sevilla and Athletic are also in with a shot.  Shakhtar are top of their own league.

basically I'm wondering, if we get to the final and lose to a team that will be in CL next season regardless, will we then be given a spot in to the CL?

or is that a pipe dream?

you are a F***ing idiot, and trying to by. al the best federer. dont do that anymore fo fucks sake!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,870 posts | 6808 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #174: Apr 02, 2016 07:47:22 am
      Was supposed to be working the early shifts for the 1st leg and was going to miss it but F**k these fuckers at work, applied for the day off and got it, sucked in work cu*ts!
      craventom
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts | 68 
      Reply #175: Apr 02, 2016 11:54:11 am
      The only thing that is different is the capacity of the stadiums. Nothing else.

We may not have Ultras Sections, we may not have the "call and response" routine for team announcements and goals scored that Germans are fortunate to have, but our fans can well compete with Dortmund on the noise/atmosphere front, and they'll discover that when they turn up at Anfield.

You´re absolutely right about your supporters being able to compete well with us Dortmund supporters.

That´s one of the reasons for the big mutual respect and sympathy!

In the german stadiums we just have the advantage of enough standing room and affordable tickets so there are more "original" fans chanting like hell than a "champaign audience" would.

However I´m sure the atmosphere will be great at both sides for this is a clash of two greats regarding both quality and tradition aspects and can´t wait to be a part of it!
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #176: Apr 02, 2016 07:39:08 pm
      Gundogan and Subotic both ruled out for Thursday, not that Subotic would play. Gundogan missing for them is a big boost for us though, he's class.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #177: Apr 02, 2016 07:47:55 pm

or is that a pipe dream?

Only the winner gets the CL spot mate.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #178: Apr 02, 2016 10:22:03 pm
      Looking forward to this one now. Be great to win.

If not, well at least we get to see more of the players who might be joining us come summer :)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #179: Apr 04, 2016 08:13:51 pm
       :couch: :couch: :Bout time the match thread was up and running ain't it   :couch: :couch: :couch: :couch: :couch:
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #180: Apr 04, 2016 08:37:42 pm
      The German league table is pretty impressive ... if you're Bayern or BVB. Dortmund in 2nd place, 19 points ahead of 3rd place!! .... but still 5 behind Bayern in 1st. An excellent team, just being shaded by an even better one. A worthy opponent :)

And lots of nice little side plots, Klopp going back to the club where he's held in such high regard. Maybe the odd player on view he might be looking to poach. The contrast - or lack thereof - in styles ... one side who've perfected the play, one side still learning it.

REALLY looking forward to it. Hopefully the players can raise their game, rise to the occasion. If we can keep the tie alive for the 2nd leg, should be a hell of a night at Anfield. The pick of the Europa quarters by a mile.
      « Last Edit: Apr 04, 2016 08:53:04 pm by bmck »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,224 posts | 4418 
      Reply #181: Apr 05, 2016 10:58:53 am
      We will need to be on top of our game to get anything from this tie which means our defence getting their sh*t together.

Fairly confident Clyne and Moreno can match the pace of Reus and Miki out wide, but what really scares me is Auybameyang getting a free run at Sakho and Lovren his pace on the turn is frightening.
      Sakho wont be as lucky as he was v Spurs if he gives the ball away so often.

Hopefully with Can out of the next 2 PL games he can concentrate on giving his all v Dortmund.

I would suggest in this tie that the full backs play defensively in a low block and assuming that Firmino is back rely on the magic of our front 3 to grab an away goal.

Score draw would do me.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,421 posts | 6419 
      Reply #182: Apr 05, 2016 01:58:16 pm
      Klopp knows this team...he'll have a gameplan for how best to neutralize their threats.

I think we'll get a couple goals, would be nice if we didn't give up a couple ourselves. 
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #183: Apr 05, 2016 04:03:12 pm
      you are a f**king idiot, and trying to by. al the best federer. dont do that anymore fo fucks sake!

You are an idiot mate. He was asking a genuine question and you are calling him an idiot? What's wrong with you?

Quick Reply