Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      6 (6.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      3 (3.4%)
      Kolo Toure
      8 (9.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      3 (3.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      21 (23.9%)
      Joe Allen
      33 (37.5%)
      James Milner
      9 (10.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      1 (1.1%)
      Phil Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.1%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      2 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: May 01, 2016 10:00:21 pm

Villarreal 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post match debates

Read 40956 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,463 posts | 3429 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Villarreal 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post match debates
      Reply #667: Apr 29, 2016 07:56:17 am
      Slight silver lining that CB of theirs went of with a hammy injury he was pretty solid for them.

massachio who came on is probably their best cb but had been out injured although he doesn't have the same physicality as bailly
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #668: Apr 29, 2016 08:02:47 am
      Mo matter what, Ibe was a strange move, he has done absolutely nothing that leads to anything all season (Ibeyyyyyy moments haven't been forgotten btw) , this is coming from me- who is a huge Ibe should be here and play here advocate, even I'll admit he's useless at the moment.

I still feel impressed with our performance weirdly enough.

We need to demolish these at home. Hope we do.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #669: Apr 29, 2016 08:12:14 am
      At the moment i think young Ojo could be ahead of Ibe based on the few performances so far.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #670: Apr 29, 2016 08:15:30 am
      All is not lost,I had settled for a draw and could not believe how we capitulated in that last minute of added time.We can beat Villarreal at Anfield even if they park the bus hoping for a goal on the break.Have faith in Jürgen and our REDS it is not over yet.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #671: Apr 29, 2016 08:38:48 am
      Some great saves by Mig. Shocking loss of composure (not for the first time) late on at the back

The one thing in our favour. European Anfield nights

These guys will have never experienced ANYTHING like it

I think we can do it next week. Its going to be a belter of an atmosphere thats for sure
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #672: Apr 29, 2016 09:29:54 am
      another player who's IQ matches his boot size

You mean it is as high as that? You could have fooled me.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #673: Apr 29, 2016 09:37:02 am
      My ratings:

Mignolet: Good save towards the end, but in truth like his earlier save it was one he should make. Worried me in the first half when their striker ran across the front post, got caught in no mans land and was lucky the fella never flicked it in. Obviously no chance with the goal. 6/10.

Clyne: Solid and dependable at the back, didn't create much going forward despite having loads of space. Mind you, when you get forward and look up only to see an empty penalty area (in terms of red shirts) in front of you it's not easy. 6/10.

Lovren: Excellent again, only the once almost got turned by their forward (can't remember his name sorry). 8/10.

Toure: Excellent apart from the goal. Even then, with 90 seconds to go he s entitled to expect his left back to be holding his position rather than careering off up the pitch. 7/10.

Moreno: When we talk of "pragmatism" it sometimes confuses people, perhaps we should just say "common sense". Caught out all night by the ball in behind, Alberto had gotten away with it until the dying seconds. Why he went all Roberto Carlos with only moments remaining only he will know. Even then he has the pace to cut off the square roll to the eventual scorer, but seems slow in sensing the danger. How many times? 4/10.

Milner: Plodded around again to great effect. Excellent tackling, almost an assist and perceptive passing. Obvious that he has played on these stages many times, my MOM. 8/10.

Lucas: Despite being blown past with ease on a couple of occasions stuck to his task well and had IMHO an excellent game. Our midfield three were really top notch I thought and all deserve credit. 8/10.

Pirlo: Really ought to have scored first half (imagine Gerrard arriving onto that) but that aside had another fine game. 8/10.

Lallana: Unlucky with the offside, and generally flitted around pretty effectively. Unable to create much, but had the same problem in that sense as everyone else. 6/10.

Coutinho: Had the sh!ts apparently so shouldn't be too hard on him. Game passed him by though. 6/10.

Firmino: Very poor once again, as he has been since he returned from injury. I know he's well liked on the forum (by me also when he's playing well) but f*** me he was desperate last night. One shot got us all excited, but in truth if the goalie turns it around the post as opposed to onto the outside of it we'd all have already forgotten it. Posts excite us all, but not touching the ball inside the oppositions area once in the first half despite us being on top doesn't excite me from a "striker". If Sturridge was fit last night, not playing him or more to the point not bringing him on was a truly baffling decision. Anyway, Bobby. Awful last night. 3/10

Subs:

Ibe: Poor when he came on and is obviously low on confidence. He's probably best though as a young wide player when he has a striker in the box to hit. I'm also not sure we are necessarily giving him the best chance to recover his confidence by the way we treat him. Any ways, poor when he came on. 4/10.

Benteke: Won a couple of headers, ran around a bit. 5/10.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #674: Apr 29, 2016 09:37:08 am
      Why would you push a high line and press in the last minutes? why?
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,781 posts | 891 
      Reply #675: Apr 29, 2016 09:44:57 am

Because it was pretty clear that we went for the away goal.

Most likely those were Klopp's instructions. The whole team went for it, and on a couple of occasions. Unfortunately, we got hit on the counter. Sucker punch.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #676: Apr 29, 2016 09:47:53 am

It's a very similar question to the one I was discussing with Debs last week, only there it was how you defended a lead with a little bit more game intelligence. Unfortunately for some of our players, they are as likely to appear in the same sentence as "game intelligence" as they are on Britains Got talent. Moreno in particular has "headless chicken mode" as his default setting.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #677: Apr 29, 2016 09:49:50 am

Most likely those were Klopp's instructions. The whole team went for it, and on a couple of occasions. Unfortunately, we got hit on the counter. Sucker punch.

Not sure I agree mate. I think we would have gladly taken an away goal if it happened (and once or twice it came close to happening) but it wasn't our primary objective. If it were, we'd have brought a striker on for Firmino.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #678: Apr 29, 2016 09:52:55 am
      It's a very similar question to the one I was discussing with Debs last week, only there it was how you defended a lead with a little bit more game intelligence. Unfortunately for some of our players, they are as likely to appear in the same sentence as "game intelligence" as they are on Britains Got talent. Moreno in particular has "headless chicken mode" as his default setting.

I would prefer that Klopp would have played for the 0-0 and then beat Villarreal at Anfield, would have made it a lot easier than trying to get the away goal which completely backfired.

Like you said, some of our players just don't have the quality to defend properly from counter attacks
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #679: Apr 29, 2016 09:54:38 am

I dont agree I think it was just the fact that we lost shape with players over committing into tackles when there was no need. They were looking for that option all night - catch Moreno out of position and hit us hard through the middle, none of our midfielders could live with their pace on the break.
      Simple tactic but it worked and we fell for the sucker punch.....
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #680: Apr 29, 2016 09:59:37 am
      I would prefer that Klopp would have played for the 0-0 and then beat Villarreal at Anfield, would have made it a lot easier than trying to get the away goal which completely backfired.

Like you said, some of our players just don't have the quality to defend properly from counter attacks

I think that's what we did do mate. That's why we played a "harrier" rather than a "striker" up top. I don't think though that if the manager could have got instructions out to the players in injury time he would have told Moreno to go walkabout.
      DanMann

• 5,781 posts | 891 
      Reply #681: Apr 29, 2016 10:12:07 am
      Not sure I agree mate. I think we would have gladly taken an away goal if it happened (and once or twice it came close to happening) but it wasn't our primary objective. If it were, we'd have brought a striker on for Firmino.

It was in those final minutes - hence why Benteke came on.

Hold up the ball, get it forward, get a goal. Moreno's dart forward gave the team extra hope that we could hit them. Had we settled for the draw, we would have sat deeper.

Clearly we thought there was an opportunity - to defend and attack. Not saying that was the best option, but that's what happened. as I saw it. We had a couple of chances in those final few minutes. We weren't sitting back and holding out.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #682: Apr 29, 2016 10:14:18 am

Hold up the ball, get it forward, get a goal. Moreno's dart forward gave the team extra hope that we could hit them. Had we settled for the draw, we would have sat deeper.

Clearly we thought there was an opportunity - to defend and attack. Not saying that was the best option, but that's what happened. as I saw it. We had a couple of chances in those final few minutes. We weren't sitting back and holding out.

Fair enough Dan, good post.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #683: Apr 29, 2016 10:15:14 am

Hence why Benteke came on?

More like, what was the point in bringing Benteke on, he should have stayed at Melwood....  .... along with Sturridge.
      « Last Edit: Apr 29, 2016 10:26:29 am by Beerbelly »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,589 posts | 7141 
      Reply #684: Apr 29, 2016 10:17:58 am
      football is cruel we did everything right for 91 mins and then one lapse of concentration. I really don't think they will withstand a full onslaught although I worry we will not start the game full on when it being Anfield we should try and destroy team from the first to the last whistle
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #685: Apr 29, 2016 10:22:51 am
      I understand the frustration here,we were unlucky to concede;  but had Alberto Moreno been more composed in his effort the result could have been so different.... I am quietly confident with what I saw last night to believe that we will get a result when they come to Anfield... Feel Klopp was trying to look after Sturrigde while trying to give Benteke some game time should we need him down the line due to the Injures we have in the striker department
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #686: Apr 29, 2016 10:27:05 am

I think that's what we did do mate. That's why we played a "harrier" rather than a "striker" up top. I don't think though that if the manager could have got instructions out to the players in injury time he would have told Moreno to go walkabout.

I'm not sure I agree with you on here mate, I think Klopp was looking for the away goal and instructed the players to push a bit, especially that he introduced Benteke late on and we started playing more long balls to try to get something. We know Moreno is brainless as he doesn't know when to go forward or to go backwards, but the whole defensive line was way higher up the pitch than it should have been, so we had a lapse of concentration in our part and Villarreal took advantage of that, unfortunately.

But anyhoo, hopefully we don't go into gung-ho panicking mode at Anfield, just play to our strengths and find an opportunity to score.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #687: Apr 29, 2016 10:32:54 am
      From my perspective we played very well indeed up to a point. I thought Clyne let us down all night in an attacking sense, he was given so much strong possession on his side and time and time again he produced nothing. Lallana also failed to get involved enough and we need much more out of him than we got.

Ibe produced absolutely nothing on the ball and I think he lost it almost every time he received the ball. Firmino I thought had a decent game, produced the best interplay of all our forwards and put, as ever, a very good first line of defence in. As is his biggest weakness though did lose the ball too easily on occasion.

I think that ball retention was a problem that ran trough out the team last night... As for Ibe I dared to say some months ago that he was simple not progressing and should be sold...Last night confirmed everything i said about him, he was poor in every aspect of his play...Ojo should be given his place in the team

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #688: Apr 29, 2016 10:33:00 am
      It's all the Fume Mori's fault - blue bitter.

He deliberately took out Origi and we are short of forwards now with only Sturridge available.

I will say that goal may come to bite us in the ass in 2nd leg. They will most likely play 1-5-5 and park two Spanish buses for us to get thru - not easy.

BTW: Is Ojo in the Europa squad? If so, he should be picked before IBE. Ibe should be sent on holidays now - sorry useless player for me. Showed so much promise but nothing now. Also, Moreno should be made into a winger and we buy a proper left back.

But, In Klopp I Trust.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,039 posts | 537 
      Reply #689: Apr 29, 2016 10:39:05 am
      I'm not sure I agree with you on here mate, I think Klopp was looking for the away goal and instructed the players to push a bit, especially that he introduced Benteke late on and we started playing more long balls to try to get something. We know Moreno is brainless as he doesn't know when to go forward or to go backwards, but the whole defensive line was way higher up the pitch than it should have been, so we had a lapse of concentration in our part and Villarreal took advantage of that, unfortunately.

But anyhoo, hopefully we don't go into gung-ho panicking mode at Anfield, just play to our strengths and find an opportunity to score.

There's nothing wrong with playing a high line if you play it properly. The problem was Moreno didnt have the discipline to hold the line and went charging 20+ yards forward to try and nick a ball that he was never going to get, leaving Kolo totally exposed.

Moreno on paper should be perfect for playing a high line cos of his pace, but his reading of the game is so bad that he just cant do it.

Quick Reply