Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Kolo Toure
      80 (94.1%)
      Someone else
      5 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: May 22, 2016 10:48:23 am

Liverpool 1-3 Sevilla: In game and post match debate

Read 49564 times
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Re: Liverpool 1-3 Sevilla: In game and post match debate
      Reply #1150: May 19, 2016 02:54:12 pm
      Feeling pretty sh*tty if I'm being honest. It's hard to believe we could look so in control in the first half, and be totally dominated for the next 45. It's as if the players thought they already had it won. P!ssed about the no call for at least one penalty in the 1st half, as that would have surely changed the proceedings and set up of the 2nd half. But, we have no excuse as Sevilla did what they had to do and more in the second half.

Very interested to see who stays, who goes and who is replaced in the first XI next year. Jürgen has his work cut out for him, but I wouldn't want any other man at the helm. Onwards and upwards, and let's go for the league next year!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5011 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1151: May 19, 2016 02:58:41 pm
      Ok maybe I wasn't clear. It's called our final match of the season curse. In reference to our this year's final match of the season and last year's final match of the season. Understand?

No cos you're talking out of your hole, simple facts are. We have no leaders, a gutless team as has been proved on far too many occasions and no local element that actually knows what it means to have that liverbird pressing against your nipple,

Do you understand??

YNWA
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #1152: May 19, 2016 03:34:26 pm
      I have to agree, we simply cannot cope when we get to the final hurdle. Rather than sail right over, we crash right through and lose momentum. The timing of their equaliser though, was crucial. Had we managed to keep our lead for 15 mins after the start of the 2nd half, we could be looking at another European trophy in our cabinet!
      Once they scored, they took full advantage of our panic, and but for Kolo it could have been much worse.
      The way we capitulated was so, so hard to take, we didn't compete. We do however need to move on from this, and as Jürgen has said, learn. It's happened too many times, in the last few years and we no longer have Stevie to haul us over the line.
      Moreno had a nightmare game, but he wasn't alone, especially 2nd half, he's still a relatively young man and it's unfair to crucify him, I am sure he is gutted as they all are.
      I think we all need the close season to be over and hit the ground running next season, that's the only way we can put this to bed. We could do without the Euros!!
      Very, very down but most definitely not out. Onwards and upwards.
      YNWA.

friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #1153: May 19, 2016 03:43:13 pm

Quote from eurored on Today at 12:08:34 pm
      No Stevie
      No Carra
      No Pepe
      No Sami

No Guts
      No Leaders ...

No Chance.

And, sadly, it is as simple as that.

Champions league final, 2007.

Reina

Finnan Carragher Agger Riise

Alonso    Mascherano

Pennant                          Zenden

Gerrard
                          Kuyt

Sami on the bench. We lost that one too. We have a leader in Klopp. Toure played out of his skin again, he's nearing his bus pass remember. Lallana got stuck in, so did Can, so did Clyne. Sturridge bagged a quality goal.

We got out classed in the second half by a manager who knew exactly what to do. Simple as.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #1154: May 19, 2016 03:52:59 pm
      Ok maybe I wasn't clear. It's called our final match of the season curse. In reference to our this year's final match of the season and last year's final match of the season. Understand?

It's also called ''when it comes to the crunch play hide and seek'' syndrome. Teams lacking personalities and leadership are primarily susceptible and a final is a highly likely occasion to exhibit it.

Our most talented players were nowhere to be seen last night when they were needed and there was no man on the pitch to wake them up.
      « Last Edit: May 19, 2016 07:26:56 pm by nikos »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8582 
      Reply #1155: May 19, 2016 04:41:02 pm
      It's also called ''when it comes to the crunch play hide and seek'' syndrome. Teams lacking personalities and leadership are susceptible to it and a final is a highly likely occasion to exhibit it.

Our most talented players where nowhere to be seen last night when they were needed and there was no man on the pitch to wake them up.

or just basically going missing!!

Happened a few times amongst this squad of players.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1156: May 19, 2016 04:47:20 pm
      or just basically going missing!!

Happened a few times amongst this squad of players.

When they get on top they are all singing all dancing but when somebody stands up against them they are often found to be wanting
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #1157: May 19, 2016 04:55:28 pm
      No Stevie
      No Carra
      No Pepe
      No Sami

No Guts
      No Leaders ...

No Chance.

Said to the old man last night the game was crying out for a Stevie/ Hamman figure in the middle of the park to get a grip of it sadly not one fckin player knew what it meant to have that bird on their tit .
      Can take losing butt ffs give it your fckin all .
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1158: May 19, 2016 05:11:22 pm
      I dont know if it was me but the game started at a slower pace than I was expecting from the lads.
      It was more a game of chess.
      I was expecting a 20 minute blitzkreig.
      We got an edge ...got the goal ....and only  then we saw the pressing game up till half time.

Second half.
      Fell apart.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6952 
      Reply #1159: May 19, 2016 05:13:01 pm
      Just read a stat that we've 'only' lost twice after scoring first last season.  Southampton and Sevilla?

Maybe someone can confirm this?

Was under the impression, certainly from reading some posts in this thread, that this had happened way more than this.

We must have come back from behind to win more than twice?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1160: May 19, 2016 05:29:41 pm
      Just read a stat that we've 'only' lost twice after scoring first last season.  Southampton and Sevilla?

Maybe someone can confirm this?

Was under the impression, certainly from reading some posts in this thread, that this had happened way more than this.

We must have come back from behind to win more than twice?

Yeah I think that's right J.D. It wasn't losing games after scoring first that was the real problem, it was drawing games after scoring first that was the real problem.

Bordeaux, Norwich, Carlisle, Sion, Everton, Southampton, WBA, Arsenal, Sunderland, Spurs, Dortmund, Newcastle ... all draws after we scored first (Sunderland and Newcastle after we scored the first 2)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5011 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1161: May 19, 2016 05:54:14 pm
      I dont know if it was me but the game started at a slower pace than I was expecting from the lads.
      It was more a game of chess.
      I was expecting a 20 minute blitzkreig.
      We got an edge ...got the goal ....and only  then we saw the pressing game up till half time.

Second half.
      Fell apart.

Mentioned it earlier mate, we played at La Liga pace rather than EPL pace, they were far too comfortable for my liking, your right I thought we would have been at them from the start and pulled them all over the park, after 10 mins I was screaming for them to lift it,  still f***in waiting, even after we scored I thought ok here we go , get a second and we could be looking at a battering,

By playing at our pace they wouldn't have coped, but the sad thing is despite playing at a slower rate our lads still couldn't handle it, bunch of gutless kunts !

YNWA
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1162: May 19, 2016 06:49:42 pm
      Three penalty calls for handball dismissed.
      Goal disallowed for offside
      Their  third saw the linesman's flag overruled by referee.

Ref is a multi millionaire we were told on the pre match commentary.
      Wonder how?

In game match betting ?

red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #1163: May 19, 2016 07:07:33 pm
      After Sturridge scored a fantastic goal I thought , here we go 3-0 , then second half was like we had been drugged , no pace, no invention, no respect for the fans travelling and at home paying their wages ! Jürgen was man enough last night to take the blame for the defeat, Wrong! Blame the players it's them who play the game after all , I do honestly think some players cared ,one or two ,but we must have a kick arse captain who bullies and bollocks players ,someone like Souness would do ! Jürgen must be given funds to get quality and cut some of the players who just don't perform
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1164: May 19, 2016 07:35:35 pm
      I honestly think this "the players don't care" angle is barking completely up the wrong tree, of course the players care. Of course they "tried" too, I've even seen this being questioned. The game hinged (as they always do) on a couple of moments, and we came out on the wrong side of too many of them to get home. We could have had penalties, we could have a goal which was disallowed, Moreno could have had a none game fart 90 mins, but ultimately it wasn't our night.

I know it's raw and all that stuff, but I genuinely think that those who question what the boss did are wrong this time, equally questioning the players desire is wide of the mark too. It was a pretty even game which we could have won comfortably had we got the bounce of the ball and a couple of decisions, as it was we didn't and they got the job done with a bit in hand. It happens, but we'll be back.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6952 
      Reply #1165: May 19, 2016 07:44:02 pm
      Dunno about that but last night was the first time we've been beaten in Europe after being first to go in front.

Yay.

Cheers for that. The edge of last night's pain was just starting to come off.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1166: May 19, 2016 07:54:46 pm
      All the way through this thread I don't think we've given Sevilla the credit they deserve either. They were absolutely on the ropes at half time, and although we/Moreno gave them a leg up they took it, got back into the game and ran out comfortable winners in the end. To my naked and slightly pissed eye, this is how they did it:

Playing over the press: First half it was like watching Stoke as they continually pinged it over the top of the press. They didn't create anything by it, but I think they weren't too bothered about that so long as they didn't lose possession in their home third. We got a great goal out of very little and then got in and amongst them a bit, but aside from that 15 minute spell at the end of the first half they negated our press very well. In the second half as we tired, they overloaded the midfield and began to play THROUGH the press as they got more confident, this is when they really started to hurt us. We then lost a bit of belief and stopped pressing as a team altogether, and then they really started to pick us off.

Killing Coutinho and Firmino: Their route oneish tactics in the first half was cleverly done in that they made our front players cover plenty of ground trying to steal the ball before they launched it. For the first half an hour Coutinho and Firmino ran around like demons trying to get the ball off them, we paid a heavy price for that as they disappeared from the game second half. 

Exposing Moreno: The left back (can't remember his name) got forward quite a bit, and Clyne had a bit of a go back at him too. The right back though barely got over the half way line and sat in all game. I think they knew that if Coutinho was being squeezed out, they only had to wait and Moreno wouldn't be able to resist bombing on to make things happen. They let him come and then overloaded on him down their right, exposing not just the Spaniards lack of positional awareness but also Coutinho's less than enthusiastic tracking back.

Exposing Cans lack of fitness: As the game wore on they began to push midfielders onto our back four, then get Gramiro tracking over to Can who got deeper and deeper. They knew it was just one ball for the striker to kill our man for pace, and we got stretched again and again.

And...They were very clever defensively too. Their cute and very well drilled little offside manoevre did for Sturridge off Lovrens header, and when they had to they sat in VERY tight and compact. They reasoned tht if they could stop us nicking the ball off them outside their area, and if they could stop us playing through them on the D, the only way we could realistically score a goal would be from a distance shot which is exactly what happened. They invited us (specifically Moreno and Clyne) to get wide and ping it in, but closed us off centrally. Brilliant coaching from their man, and I cans see why he's much sought after.

Anyway hats off to them to win it three times in a row is a staggering achievement.   
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1167: May 19, 2016 07:58:51 pm
      After having all day thinking about how we threw it away in that 2nd half I thought I would start to feel better about things but then I realised it's not only our 2nd consecutive Final defeat in Europe after 07 but it is also our 3rd straight final defeat - Chelsea in the FA Cup, City in the League Cup and now Sevilla. These 3 defeats are screaming our we lack that mental ability when it comes to a final at the moment.

Felt so sure we were going to win it, in the entire build up to the game and since the Manc tie I had a feeling we would go all the way this year. Especially the way we looked to be cruising as the first half went on, thought we would go on to win 2 or 3-0 the way we were cutting through them and that we were actually going to make easy work of a final for a change. Obviously not though.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6952 
      Reply #1168: May 19, 2016 08:05:47 pm
      Started rewatching the second half again before.

As you do.

Sevilla were getting in positions to cut out Clynes passes back to Lovren and Toure.

They were on our toes all the time but frankly Can and Milner were running through treacle. The entire front 6 just didn't allow our back four to have a break.

We had one shot in the second half. That wasn't Moreno's fault. Our non defenders didn't have good games.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1169: May 19, 2016 08:12:50 pm
      Started rewatching the second half again before.

As you do.

Sevilla were getting in positions to cut out Clynes passes back to Lovren and Toure.

They were on our toes all the time but frankly Can and Milner were running through treacle. The entire front 6 just didn't allow our back four to have a break.

We had one shot in the second half. That wasn't Moreno's fault. Our non defenders didn't have good games.

Honestly ever since Coutinho came off at half-time vs Villareal he has been very poor, Firmino has been brilliant at times and disappears just as quickly, Lallana while working hard has very little end product and Milner (who has done a lot) just could not get it done.

Perfect storm, the front sucked all at the same time.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1170: May 19, 2016 08:32:38 pm
      Three penalty calls for handball dismissed.
      Goal disallowed for offside
      Their  third saw the linesman's flag overruled by referee.

Ref is a multi millionaire we were told on the pre match commentary.
      Wonder how?

In game match betting ?

I thought the ref was a little fussy but got the big calls right. The first handball shout was 50/50 the other two were never in a million years.

He was bang on telling the lino to put his flag down too. Think the lino got confused because it was such a well placed pass from Coutinho he presumed it was offside.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1171: May 19, 2016 09:16:34 pm
      I thought the ref was a little fussy but got the big calls right. The first handball shout was 50/50 the other two were never in a million years.

He was bang on telling the lino to put his flag down too. Think the lino got confused because it was such a well placed pass from Coutinho he presumed it was offside.

He is still a c**t cos I said so !  ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1172: May 19, 2016 09:19:51 pm

Disagree mate, that 3rd one was a stonewall penalty as far as I'm concerned. How a penalty can not be given when a player is standing the opposition up with a low stance and his hands virtually touching the pitch and then the ball hitting his hands is beyond me. His hand clearly blocked the ball that was played low. Anywhere else on the pitch and that would have been given as a freekick IMO.

Also regarding the offside goal. The ref cannot see across the line, the linesman can so I can't understand how the ref thought he was certain to be making the right call.

Quick Reply