Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Sadio Mane (Southampton)

Read 55825 times
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Re: Sadio Mane (Southampton)
      Reply #322: Jun 23, 2016 11:36:37 pm
      Not sure what you're saying?

I'm saying this looks like a Klopp signing despite Mane not being somebody we wanted back in the day. I'm saying that as there seems to be some confusion as to whether this was a Klopp signing.

I'm saying that there seems to be a widely held view that Klopp has wanted him for years, which may or may not be true. But it looks like Liverpool did turn down the chance to sign him.

The same people who turned him down two years ago for F**k all still work at the club, which worries me greatly. When Klopp says "go find me a leftback" to these chumps are the ones doing the filtering on Excel.

I don't think Mane is a worldbeater and I don't think he is sh*te, but signing him for 30m when you could have had him for 10m seems so unbelievably Liverpool.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #323: Jun 23, 2016 11:41:52 pm
      But yet they were willing to go for Luis Alberto at £7mill who had barely played in the 1st team.

Yup! The inconsistencies are rife.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #324: Jun 23, 2016 11:45:54 pm
      Yup! The inconsistencies are rife.

More like incompetence mate.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #325: Jun 24, 2016 12:16:24 am
      Sane or Mane?

You keep saying Sane.

I'm just rather amused by what seems like your sudden hesitancy over this deal.

Typo...

Watching to much of the Euros.....

No hesitancy at all....
      instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #326: Jun 24, 2016 01:21:26 am
      Like the player, not the reported fee... but as long as he is what Jürgen wants and needs, then welcome aboard Sadio!
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #327: Jun 24, 2016 09:01:25 am
      He mightn't be the player many want but with him in the team we can instantly create more goals plus he works hard. Too many of our players run around doing tricks with limited end product. We need wide forwards that's just been a fact for a long time.
      We could end up getting no one just because everyone wants a German star and no one else has the glamour name.

It's not my money, it's more than it should be but I'd rather Klopp got him and FSG didn't skim more money off us.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #328: Jun 24, 2016 11:47:48 am
      I hate the argument of 'Its not your money so why are you bothered'.

You're right, it's not our money. It's the clubs money. And the club only has so much every year to spend on transfers. See, we aren't city or Chelsea, money is actually an issue to us. Nobody knows what our budget is but I'd hazard a guess now that 30m for Mane will be a large chunk of it.

It's not about Mane as a player. We all know he can play out wide and he has a bit of pace which is something lacking in our squad. So with that in mind he could be useful to our squad right now. But is signing Mane for 30m getting value for our money? No. No it F***ing isn't.  If we got him for anything under 15m it would be a decent enough signing. The gambles and risk are far less.

And I for one am F***ing sick of seeing us sign players like Downing 20m, Carroll 35m, Benteke 32.5m and now maybe Mane for 30m. It's those type of transfers why we languishing around 6th - 8th  because they are mid table players so we perform like a mid table team.

If we're going to spend big, and 30m is F***ing big, then we need to sign some F***ing top quality with it. Move away from the premiership if we have to because clubs in this league are just rinsing each other.

Mane is a good enough player but he isn't worth what Southampton want. WE CAN GET BETTER FOR OUR MONEY, which is the whole point, so F**k him off and move on.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #329: Jun 24, 2016 12:00:22 pm

You're right, it's not our money. It's the clubs money. And the club only has so much every year to spend on transfers. See, we aren't city or Chelsea, money is actually an issue to us. Nobody knows what our budget is but I'd hazard a guess now that 30m for Mane will be a large chunk of it.

It's not about Mane as a player. We all know he can play out wide and he has a bit of pace which is something lacking in our squad. So with that in mind he could be useful to our squad right now. But is signing Mane for 30m getting value for our money? No. No it F***ing isn't.  If we got him for anything under 15m it would be a decent enough signing. The gambles and risk are far less.

And I for one am F***ing sick of seeing us sign players like Downing 20m, Carroll 35m, Benteke 32.5m and now maybe Mane for 30m. It's those type of transfers why we languishing around 6th - 8th  because they are mid table players so we perform like a mid table team.

If we're going to spend big, and 30m is F***ing big, then we need to sign some F***ing top quality with it. Move away from the premiership if we have to because clubs in this league are just rinsing each other.

Mane is a good enough player but he isn't worth what Southampton want. WE CAN GET BETTER FOR OUR MONEY, which is the whole point, so F**k him off and move on.

Well you do have a point but this is Klopp's reign now and if he is worth that on the open market and he wants him then we should do what it takes to get him.
      We haven't had that good payback or these massive signings, neither have high transfer fee players performed for the clubs we should be competing with, it doesn't mean we should just go to the  bargain bin all the time.

We have a new manager and signings are important for this upcoming season, I don't want a 5 year plan, not because I'm spoilt, because I'm really tired of hearing the spin and excuses.

We don't buy him for 30 mil and Spurs, Chelsea or even West Ham do... what have we gained? Psychologically a contest has already been won before a ball has been kicked. It means we aren't serious about our intentions and are just content with being pushovers on the pitch and when we're competing for players.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #330: Jun 24, 2016 12:03:23 pm
      If we're going to spend big, and 30m is f**king big, then we need to sign some f**king top quality with it. Move away from the premiership if we have to because clubs in this league are just rinsing each other

We did. We had an agreement to buy Gotze for 20m before he fired his agent and did a back flip. Like how you want star additions, those star additions want CL footie, not something that we can offer this season. So spend big on decent players, try to get into CL and spend big on star additions.

But we seem to be getting caught in the vicious circle of spending big but not performing big, over and over! We can only hope Klopp resolves the latter part of the dilemma, after all he is known to grind out big performances from such decent players on a consistent basis.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,178 posts | 527 
      Reply #331: Jun 24, 2016 12:09:32 pm

It's not about Mane as a player. We all know he can play out wide and he has a bit of pace which is something lacking in our squad. So with that in mind he could be useful to our squad right now. But is signing Mane for 30m getting value for our money? No. No it f**king isn't.  If we got him for anything under 15m it would be a decent enough signing. The gambles and risk are far less.

And I for one am f**king sick of seeing us sign players like Downing 20m, Carroll 35m, Benteke 32.5m and now maybe Mane for 30m. It's those type of transfers why we languishing around 6th - 8th  because they are mid table players so we perform like a mid table team.

If we're going to spend big, and 30m is f**king big, then we need to sign some f**king top quality with it. Move away from the premiership if we have to because clubs in this league are just rinsing each other.

Mane is a good enough player but he isn't worth what Southampton want. WE CAN GET BETTER FOR OUR MONEY, which is the whole point, so f**k him off and move on.

Understand your frustration fella, but would just like to say as crazy as it sounds, £30 million is not top money anymore, its a crazy, crazy world.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #332: Jun 24, 2016 12:24:31 pm

He would 100% better than brainless idiot Moreno for sure. :)
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #333: Jun 24, 2016 01:09:30 pm

Understand your frustration fella, but would just like to say as crazy as it sounds, £30 million is not top money anymore, its a crazy, crazy world.

Exactly. How can 30m be considered a lot when that's the amount Watford want for Troy Deeney. 30m FOR TROY DEENEY FFS!!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #334: Jun 24, 2016 01:17:03 pm
      Well you do have a point but this is Klopp's reign now and if he is worth that on the open market and he wants him then we should do what it takes to get him.
      We haven't had that good payback or these massive signings, neither have high transfer fee players performed for the clubs we should be competing with, it doesn't mean we should just go to the  bargain bin all the time.

We have a new manager and signings are important for this upcoming season, I don't want a 5 year plan, not because I'm spoilt, because I'm really tired of hearing the spin and excuses.

We don't buy him for 30 mil and Spurs, Chelsea or even West Ham do... what have we gained? Psychologically a contest has already been won before a ball has been kicked. It means we aren't serious about our intentions and are just content with being pushovers on the pitch and when we're competing for players.

From what I've read mane is second choice behind gotze. Spending 30m on him is just insane in my opinion.

It's about time we act much smarter when it comes to our transfers - both ins and outs. If Mane is a target for Klopp then fine, but he has done F**k all to justify a price tag of 30m.

I don't think either Ibe or Allen will feature much for us next season so we should be using both as a bargaining tool instead of pulling our pants down, letting other clubs bum us and just paying whatever they want all the time.

Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #335: Jun 24, 2016 01:23:53 pm
      i like Mane but £30 mill way over priced for a return of 11 goals..
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #336: Jun 24, 2016 01:29:42 pm
      Exactly. How can 30m be considered a lot when that's the amount Watford want for Troy Deeney. 30m FOR TROY DEENEY FFS!!

Were you one of those people who said 35m for Carroll was okay because we sold Torres for 50m?

Just because Leicester are being stupid doesn't mean to say we aren't or that it makes it okay for us to be stupid.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #337: Jun 24, 2016 01:33:29 pm
      Were you one of those people who said 35m for Carroll was okay because we sold Torres for 50m?

???

What is your point? We bought Carroll for the price we did because it was a desperate, last ditch attempt to get a "quality" striker. It's common knowledge. WTF has that got do with over inflated prices for average quality players?

KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #338: Jun 24, 2016 01:37:09 pm
      WTF has that got do with over inflated prices for average quality players?

It has absolutely everything to do with it.

Pointing at Troy Deeney's potential fee as an excuse for pissing money away on Mane proves nothing except both Liverpool and Leicester need to have a collective head wobble.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 895 
      Reply #339: Jun 24, 2016 02:00:09 pm
      He do have some kind of ego which Scares me, he did fall out with koeman.  Don't know who was at fault but other saints players had a ok relationship with koeman so the fault must be with mane?

Thank God for that mane is no balotelli but still he could screw up the team spirit. Just saying.

BTW BBC reporting it now, so our interest is genuine and the signing will happen even if we like it or not
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #340: Jun 24, 2016 02:04:28 pm
      It has absolutely everything to do with it.

Pointing at Troy Deeney's potential fee as an excuse for pissing money away on Mane proves nothing except both Liverpool and Leicester need to have a collective head wobble.

Thing is, what Leicester decide to do is irrelevant to how much, if anything, Klopp and co decide to spend on Mane.

Also irrelevant, but I said ages ago that 25-30m would become common practice in the PL for average quality players. That's a sideline of playing in the "best league in the world".

;D. It's shambolic.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #341: Jun 24, 2016 02:37:10 pm

It's not but neither does it represent good value for money. Gotze, as any reasonable person would agree, is a significantly more talented player than Mane but is £10 million less. Only in the world of Liverpool's suits do you pay more for your second choice than your first. Mane for £15 million? About fair. Mane for £20 million, a bit expensive but hey, Klopp wants him. Mane for £30 million and you're having a bloody laugh, and Mane for any fee does not represent an ambition to win the league next year. As I've said before, the better option would be to wait until Jan and see where we all are then and try persuade him to join us again if he's spent six months on Bayern's bench.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,628 posts | 7146 
      Reply #342: Jun 24, 2016 02:50:43 pm
      I am not going to get upset by any player we sign until we see him play in anger. Our transfer policy has been so hit and miss even if we signed Messi we would F**k it up
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #343: Jun 24, 2016 02:55:32 pm
      I look at the transfer like this...

Sell Benteke
      Buy Mane

Mane > Benteke = Squad improved
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #344: Jun 24, 2016 03:28:09 pm
      Why is Allen only worth £10 million? If we pay over the odds for Southampton players then sure we should be charging at least £20 million for Allen. He is playing the best football of his career now.

Quick Reply