Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 197437 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,309 posts | 768 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #1127: Dec 18, 2020 07:22:56 pm
      Really hope Gini stays, a vital member of the side. Although on the other side of the coin, no player is bigger than the club !
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,039 posts | 537 
      Reply #1128: Dec 18, 2020 08:34:59 pm
      Pretty sure we'll give him the deal he wants. How much would it cost us to replace him? And we'd need to replace him, cos we know we can't rely on Keita and Ox to be available (plus neither are quite as good as him anyway).

Apparently he wants a 4 year deal. Given his injury record/ fitness levels, that's not too much of a gamble. Think we'll see him here next season.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,698 posts | 3937 
      Reply #1129: Dec 18, 2020 08:39:29 pm
      Pretty sure we'll give him the deal he wants. How much would it cost us to replace him? And we'd need to replace him, cos we know we can't rely on Keita and Ox to be available (plus neither are quite as good as him anyway).

Apparently he wants a 4 year deal. Given his injury record/ fitness levels, that's not too much of a gamble. Think we'll see him here next season.

I agree, 34 is a great age these days. Just give him the deal
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,813 posts | 1406 
      Reply #1130: Dec 18, 2020 08:50:41 pm

I think it's a significant gamble. Thiago was signed through age 33, Hendo won't be leaving anytime soon as is already 30 so Gini would be the 3rd midfielder in his mid30s, all at a time when Klopp will be getting ready to move on.

It does appear that 4th year is the sticking point. From what i have read that is the reason for the hang up as he is being offered a proper wage but for 3 years instead of 4.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,039 posts | 537 
      Reply #1131: Dec 18, 2020 09:51:35 pm
      I think it's a significant gamble. Thiago was signed through age 33, Hendo won't be leaving anytime soon as is already 30 so Gini would be the 3rd midfielder in his mid30s, all at a time when Klopp will be getting ready to move on.

It does appear that 4th year is the sticking point. From what i have read that is the reason for the hang up as he is being offered a proper wage but for 3 years instead of 4.

Thiago is 29 not 33. But yeah you're right the 3 of them would all be in their 30s in 3 years time. But it just means we need to bring through some younger players at the same time. Jones is maybe getting there already. Fab is 27, so should still be basically in his prime. So I don't think we are at all desperate to ditch the 30 year olds we have. (And remember Milner is 34 now, and can still do a job. I see Gini as similar in terms of fitness and mentality. But even if he was out of the picture by his final year, his wages are still going to be a F**k of a lot less than what it would cost to replace him now. So I think we will give him the deal he wants.)

rossyred

• 9,304 posts | 1668 
      Reply #1132: Dec 18, 2020 10:57:28 pm
      Can understand both sides of the contract situation seems to have raised his game even more playing for a new contract or a move whichever way you look at it be a shame if he departs but said for a while now be very surprised if he doesn't
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,268 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1133: Dec 27, 2020 07:17:31 pm
      Needs to make his mind up where his future lies because his head is up his arse at the moment
      rossyred

• 9,304 posts | 1668 
      Reply #1134: Dec 27, 2020 11:34:50 pm
      Needs to make his mind up where his future lies because his head is up his arse at the moment

Contract offer been on table.for few weeks but he is thinking about it or should I say waiting for other offers and highest bidder
      Redangel

• 8,361 posts | 1013 
      Reply #1135: Dec 28, 2020 07:07:29 pm
      Contract offer been on table.for few weeks but he is thinking about it or should I say waiting for other offers and highest bidder

Apparently he will make a decision in the next couple of days! I hope he does, because it does neither side any good with the situation as it is! I know people have said he’s been a great servant to the Club, but really is that not the least we should expect for the wages they are on! Seems to me he’s holding us to ransom a bit, and that sits badly with me. Koeman may not survive, he’s under pressure, I simply do not understand the obsession with Barcelona and Real Madrid!
      rossyred

• 9,304 posts | 1668 
      Reply #1136: Dec 28, 2020 07:21:08 pm
      Apparently he will make a decision in the next couple of days! I hope he does, because it does neither side any good with the situation as it is! I know people have said he’s been a great servant to the Club, but really is that not the least we should expect for the wages they are on! Seems to me he’s holding us to ransom a bit, and that sits badly with me. Koeman may not survive, he’s under pressure, I simply do not understand the obsession with Barcelona and Real Madrid!

He has to this week as he can start talking to others from Friday I think
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1137: Dec 28, 2020 07:22:45 pm
      Come on Gini lad sign it up 3 more years. You know you want to
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1138: Dec 28, 2020 10:30:08 pm
      Come on Gini lad sign it up 3 more years. You know you want to

Not sure he does anymore mate, if it's been on the table for a few weeks, what the F**k is he possibly waiting for? Other then some other Club to up their offer maybe??
      CT_LFC

• 6,813 posts | 1406 
      Reply #1139: Dec 28, 2020 10:38:51 pm
      Not sure he does anymore mate, if it's been on the table for a few weeks, what the f**k is he possibly waiting for? Other then some other Club to up their offer maybe??

He wants 4 years, so that is the hang up.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      Reply #1140: Dec 28, 2020 10:42:04 pm

Fucks sake!!!!
      rossyred

• 9,304 posts | 1668 
      Reply #1141: Dec 28, 2020 11:05:53 pm

But we could offer a bigger deal in 3 years than someone could in 4 so 6m over 3 years as oppose to 4 you would take the 3 wouldn't you
      CT_LFC

• 6,813 posts | 1406 
      Reply #1142: Dec 28, 2020 11:14:31 pm
      But we could offer a bigger deal in 3 years than someone could in 4 so 6m over 3 years as oppose to 4 you would take the 3 wouldn't you

Doesn't matter what i would take. I'm not Gini.

He is already 30 so he figures this is probably his last big contract and wants it to be for 4 years instead of 3. If that is the case, it is within his rights just as it is within ours not to go past 3 years.

We need to get used to this situation, because we'll be in the same boat in the near future as Van Dijk, Matip, Bobby, Mane and Salah are on the cusp of turning 30 and Hendo already is. That is a lot of players (plus Thiago) to lock up until age 33-34 and very risky, so i think the team will have to make some very tough decisions in the upcoming months.
      rossyred

• 9,304 posts | 1668 
      Reply #1143: Dec 28, 2020 11:35:48 pm
      Doesn't matter what i would take. I'm not Gini.

He is already 30 so he figures this is probably his last big contract and wants it to be for 4 years instead of 3. If that is the case, it is within his rights just as it is within ours not to go past 3 years.

We need to get used to this situation, because we'll be in the same boat in the near future as Van Dijk, Matip, Bobby, Mane and Salah are on the cusp of turning 30 and Hendo already is. That is a lot of players (plus Thiago) to lock up until age 33-34 and very risky, so i think the team will have to make some very tough decisions in the upcoming months.
      So the length of the contract is pretty irrelevant then isn't it it is about how much money the contract is worth
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      Reply #1144: Dec 29, 2020 10:15:06 am
      Not sure he does anymore mate, if it's been on the table for a few weeks, what the f**k is he possibly waiting for? Other then some other Club to up their offer maybe??

Likely his last big deal at a big club, Id say hes hoping he gets what he wants if he leaves it to the last minute, a 4 year deal I believe, to be honest Id give him it. 3 good years in him sell him then for a price
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      Reply #1145: Dec 31, 2020 10:57:38 pm
      Likely his last big deal at a big club, Id say hes hoping he gets what he wants if he leaves it to the last minute, a 4 year deal I believe, to be honest Id give him it. 3 good years in him sell him then for a price

Yep, who the F**k knows where anyone of us will be in 4 years!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      Reply #1146: Jan 06, 2021 10:13:27 am
      Rumoured to have rejected the contract offer and going to Barce
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #1147: Jan 06, 2021 10:21:46 am

Oh well.

Pity that, I guess this Summer be the start of our transition to a next gen team.

Can see Mo leaving after Gini, followed by Bobby and Mane over the next 2/3 seasons.

I trust the club will reinvest wisely and bring in some top talent for the future.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      Reply #1148: Jan 06, 2021 10:43:58 am
      Oh well.

Pity that, I guess this Summer be the start of our transition to a next gen team.

Can see Mo leaving after Gini, followed by Bobby and Mane over the next 2/3 seasons.

I trust the club will reinvest wisely and bring in some top talent for the future.

100%

Every team must go through that phase. If Gini is off its a shame but he more than played his part here
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #1149: Jan 06, 2021 01:43:32 pm

Till I hear it officially I’m calling it bullshit.

Quick Reply