Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 7th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

ICC Game 1: Liverpool 0-1 Chelsea

Read 26861 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: ICC Game 1: Liverpool v Chelsea 4.35AM BST Thursday 28th July
      Reply #138: Jul 28, 2016 06:33:25 am
      Interesting game if not that entertaining. I wont be watching too much of Chelsea this year if that's how they're going to set up.

We created far more in the first half with Firmino/Ejaria/Cou and just a little bit more from any of them would have probably given us a goal. Slight offside, Moreno creating some nice openings and Ejaria really looking a top prospect.

Thought we fell completely flat once the likes of Lallana/Henderson came on, Milner did have an impact but other than him I thought the changes didn't help us too much.

Klavan with a decent debut if not tested too much.

Overall a pretty dull game played at Chelsea's tempo in searing heat, perhaps the conditions favour a slow organised approach rather than lung bursting high octane footy.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #139: Jul 28, 2016 06:34:07 am
      :lmao:

I think 1-0 Chelsea will become a very short price in matches this season, really impressive in defence not much offered the other way.

Thinking the same. Conte is as pragmatic as they come in football. Pleasure to watch IMO. A lot of discipline in his sides, and he works the sideline like no other.

From our end, nothing overly exciting and nothing too worrying. Still in need of an LB and a whole lot of match fitness/awareness. Should be refreshing to see Wijnaldum, Can, Sturridge, Clyne, and others hit the lineup soon enough.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #140: Jul 28, 2016 06:36:09 am
      Our English lads looked well off the pace, but the Chelsea defence looks rock solid already!

All in all a decent enough display and much more to come, plenty of encouraging signs.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #141: Jul 28, 2016 06:36:34 am
      Phil Babb "it had a draw written all over it" .... that's an interesting take on a loss.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #142: Jul 28, 2016 06:36:45 am
      Milner was the only stand out for me second half. We never really looked like we had enough nouse to break down a very defensive Chelsea, even with a man advantage.

Think Ojo got a bit of a wakeup call tonight, Ings never got near the ball, Henderson neat and tidy but then he always takes pride in his appearance.   
      Le Gargoyle
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 61 posts |
      Reply #143: Jul 28, 2016 06:37:21 am
      Preseason but still an underwhelming performance really. Ejaria only one of note. Another goal surrendered from a corner. Still can't breakdown a highly organised defence. So room for improvement. Let's see what the next few games bring.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #144: Jul 28, 2016 06:38:30 am
      Well not awful
      Some positive performances.
      At least I got to speak to Ian Rush and my wife got on the pitch and onto the jumbo tron!!!
      Off to work now fellow reds. Will have been 30 hrs since I last slept!
      Hope all at the rose bowl had fun.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Re: ICC Game 1: Liverpool 0-1 Chelsea
      Reply #145: Jul 28, 2016 06:42:16 am
      From what I saw we looked the better side if I'm being honest.

If we had a striker on the pitch for 75 of those minutes we might have got a better result.  Conte will sort Chelsea's defence out.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #146: Jul 28, 2016 06:45:23 am
      From what I saw we looked the better side if I'm being honest.

If we had a striker on the pitch for 75 of those minutes we might have got a better result.  Conte will sort Chelsea's defence out.

Agreed we looked the better side mate but aerially we were absolutely dominated and we needed to try more often to go through the middle of their defence rather than out wide and cross in so often.

Some good stats highlighted here:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/2016-tour/229524-match-report-reds-beaten-by-chelsea-in-icc-opener

Absolutely need more people running forward from our midfield against a defence like that, never really saw any of our central players get ahead of the ball.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,509 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #147: Jul 28, 2016 06:53:25 am
      Did Klopp just say Grujic is in hospital and not looking too good?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #148: Jul 28, 2016 06:55:48 am
      Did Klopp just say Grujic is in hospital and not looking too good?

Said Grujic can't remember anything mate, sounds like concussion to me.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #149: Jul 28, 2016 06:57:16 am
      Before I start on the performance, I was so frustrated by the American telecast. I don't know if it looked the same around the world (I'll check it out on LFC TV tomorrow), but they had the camera frame,picture size or whatever, completely wrong. So you would keep losing the ball when it was at the top or the bottom of the screen. On top of that they had this extra-large graphic showing the score and clock, seemed about twice as large as usual so more of the pitch blocked.  Jon Champion does well enough but Burley has verbal diarrhea and clearly doesn't do any homework on the teams beforehand (could have avoided a half-dozen stupid Liverpool comments just by looking at the Echo online before the match).

They showed almost no replays (except the goal about 50 times throughout the match) and when they did it was often tthe wrong shot, showing a guy passing a ball on an offside call, but not showing the runner vs. defense, etc. I've seen good football telecasts here but maybe they ran out of competent crews for all the games that are going on, so they got the audio-video crew from a local middle school. So that was frustrating to me.

Baldemar Toledo is known in MLS for being card-happy and I thought he was poor, although I didn't think that favored Chelsea per se.

Klavan I thought was excellent, really encouraged by his performance.
      Moreno reminded us early and often why we need a new left back.
      I noticed Milner played both fullback spots during his 25 minutes and I expect that to be his main position for us this year, with all the new adds in midfield and attack.
      Mane will be great for us.
      Firminho needs tto get sharper although that is prob true of all our attacking players (save Coutinho wo is already there).
      Hopefully Grujic will be OK as both the head butt from his opponent and the way his head hit the ground were nasty.
      Agree with you all that Ejaria was good too. I thought Randall did alright tonight actually.

Now we just need to get everyone match fit.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,509 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #150: Jul 28, 2016 07:00:48 am
      Said Grujic can't remember anything mate, sounds like concussion to me.

Not sure whats happened as I only seen the last 5 minutes due to my one year old alarm clock deciding against getting me up at 5am today on the only day that I wouldn't have actually ever been arsed.

Clash of heads then?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #151: Jul 28, 2016 07:09:02 am
      Not sure whats happened as I only seen the last 5 minutes due to my one year old alarm clock deciding against getting me up at 5am today on the only day that I wouldn't have actually ever been arsed.

Clash of heads then?

More like a full on head butt as they jumped for the ball. Lovren got punched by Karius and Klaven got done by a late/high tackle that saw Fabrigas get sent off. Not a great day for our CB's.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #152: Jul 28, 2016 07:21:28 am
      More like a full on head butt as they jumped for the ball. Lovren got punched by Karius and Klaven got done by a late/high tackle that saw Fabrigas get sent off. Not a great day for our CB's.

Plus his head bounced hard off the turf when he landed. wouldn't surprise me if was out cold from the head butt.
      Lovren and Klaven seemed to get through their knocks alright, but Marko may be out for a while.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #153: Jul 28, 2016 07:38:47 am

Weirdly woke up of my own accord at 5:30!

PS. My 1 year old is still asleep.  You need to be a lot more boring so it isn't worth them getting up early.

Yeah.  That was a laugh that.  Haven't decided whether Lovren was doing the right thing coming back or whether he did it because he is used to Mignolet not coming to claim crosses.  That's how oggies happen.
      storophanthus
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 308 posts | 16 
      Reply #154: Jul 28, 2016 07:43:20 am
      Subscribed LFCTV for this match, the gap between Huddersfield and this game feel so long for me... and I missed this match by the one hour margin...   

Is the time written on the Liverpool official website a UK time or the local (US) time?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #155: Jul 28, 2016 08:06:04 am
      Missed whole thing had a very rare night out with missus last night......thumping sore head and an empty wallet.......
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,229 posts | 4421 
      Reply #156: Jul 28, 2016 08:11:12 am
      Missed the match and going through this thread it looks like we have the same issues of breaking down a packed defence?
      Think I won't bother trying to find highlights.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #157: Jul 28, 2016 08:53:10 am
      Haven't seen the game yet but is it fair to say its our first real test in pre-season and it seems we have the same problems?

Conceding from set pieces and unable to break teams down.

Hopefully these things can get sorted before we start for real.

Did the players put in a good performance or was it hit and  miss like a lot of last season?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #158: Jul 28, 2016 10:04:32 am
      Haven't seen the game yet but is it fair to say its our first real test in pre-season and it seems we have the same problems?

Grujic did get clattered into by Cahill for their goal. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #159: Jul 28, 2016 10:12:26 am

Conceding from set pieces and unable to break teams down.

Hopefully these things can get sorted before we start for real.

Did the players put in a good performance or was it hit and  miss like a lot of last season?

I'd strangely say no.

On the set piece I don't think we got things terribly wrong, despite what the commentators say I think Grujic was the right guy to be picking up Cahill. The lad is a monster in size it was just that Cahill got first run and was more determined. Grujic will learn from it but organisation wise you could see we had a plan and in many ways it was the correct one.

You have to be able to trust your players to win their individual duels, it's been like that forever at set plays. It wasn't like it was one of our small players picking up their CB or that he was totally free, he just did really well to win the header but I'd go so far as to say Cahill is probably the best CB in the league for that type of goal.

In terms of breaking them down we created an awful lot more than they did, which admittedly wasn't much but in that first half I thought we created enough to bring it level and in the second they never looked close to scoring. I also think as defences go the likes of lower tier prem teams wont have that level of talent nor organisation so it was a good test and one we should be able to learn from in a game with very little importance on.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #160: Jul 28, 2016 10:12:27 am
      Missed the match and going through this thread it looks like we have the same issues of breaking down a packed defence?
      Think I won't bother trying to find highlights.

http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2016/07/28/chelsea-vs-liverpool-highlights-full-match/

Just so you don't have to find them! ;)

Quick Reply