Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      3 (4.7%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      5 (7.8%)
      Dejan Lovren
      8 (12.5%)
      James Milner
      3 (4.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (7.8%)
      Adam Lallana
      6 (9.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      2 (3.1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      9 (14.1%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (3.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      6 (9.4%)
      Marko Grujic
      14 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: Aug 24, 2016 05:06:57 pm

Burnley 2-0 Liverpool: In game and post match debate

Read 34484 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Re: Burnley 2-0 Liverpool: In game and post match debate
      Reply #598: Aug 20, 2016 10:32:56 pm
      Blip... Just was not meant to be.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #599: Aug 20, 2016 10:37:32 pm
      That 2nd goal, Klavan should have won the ball and then Hendo standing there and getting beat before Klavan got beat again were just a couple of things wrong with us then!!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #600: Aug 20, 2016 10:38:14 pm
      MOTD   

FIRST MATCH ON  .... and they haven't got an agenda ? ......... course  they have.

Wouldn't feature a Scum loss on first.

Commentator :  Which Liverpool will turn up today ?
      FFS 

Their  Second Goal ..... how many of our players did he run in front of of ?  Henderson ..... disappeared .

Stat from MOTD ...   lowest possession percentage to win a game since stats began !
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #601: Aug 20, 2016 10:47:29 pm
      MOTD   

FIRST MATCH ON  .... and they haven't got an agenda ? ......... course  they have.

FFS 

Their  Second Goal ..... how many of our players did he run in front of of ?  Henderson ..... disappeared .

Stat from MOTD ...   lowest possession percentage to win a game since stats began !

;D! F**k MOTD. Don't need sh*te pundits to tell us we lost today!

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #602: Aug 20, 2016 11:06:14 pm
      This from Burnley manager afterward:

“Most of the time Liverpool had five or six men in midfield. If I had done that, we would have had a lot of the ball for a long time too I think! But I wanted to penetrate and create and try to take chances."

We were not good enough with the ball or in defending the counter today, no question, but I'm filing these comments under "Manager wins one game and can't help running his mouth."

His creating and penetrating looked an awful like 10 men behind the ball for me, most of the time. Credit to them for taking chances sure, but penetrating and creating? That is where the "six men in midfield" comes from too. When everyone sits back in defense, normal that the other team's defenders will creep up and its forwards will drop back. There was no 6-man midfield tactical setup.

But this is about his comment. The performance was disappointing.

I wonder how much of the team Klopp changes for the League Cup  match.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #603: Aug 20, 2016 11:11:36 pm
      just frustrating really. esp since we do not have europe this year, there really is no excuse for not being super pumped and ready for every game
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #604: Aug 20, 2016 11:24:06 pm
      just frustrating really. esp since we do not have europe this year, there really is no excuse for not being super pumped and ready for every game

That's right, but are you really expecting us to win every game? I don't think lack of application was the problem today, just weren't at the races. There are bound to be blips along the way but we'll be up there at the end of the season.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #605: Aug 20, 2016 11:24:51 pm
      Was like a flashback to the BR era with the amount of long shots.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,875 posts | 704 
      Reply #606: Aug 20, 2016 11:41:58 pm
      Last time we had to go there, we dug a 1-0 win out of the rain wind and mud, even though the reaction here was apocalyptic. Burnley away is never an easy 3 points in that horrible, outdated dump, and with the way they set up, games out there that we have played in, are usually ugly. So giving them a goal start after 1 minute meant they could sit in their own half all afternoon and watch us stroll the ball around going nowhere. Which is exactly what happened. We tried everything but were just playing against a brick wall all day. If we were there for another week, we still wouldn't score.

Thankfully we don't have to wait a week. The next game is in three days. Win that and everything will be back to normal, and the mid table spot we are in will be forgotten about, at least until we go to Spurs.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #607: Aug 20, 2016 11:48:11 pm
      Once again it is an individual error (Clyne - though why the ball wasn't hit forward sooner I don't know) that has given a team a goal after two mins. If they weren't getting behind the ball from they start they are now. We can talk about tactics and the way the team is set up, but more recently it seem these individual errors hurt us more than anything.

After last week's game I stopped myself from making the usual 'but can we do it next week at Burnley' comment, but we were probably all thinking it and with good reason.

I still basically think we are a good team, with some good players and a good manager. I don't watch much German football so don't know if teams set up regularly like Burnley did, but he needs to be able to work out quickly how to beat these teams with what we have.

And finally, where was Moreno for the second goal? Totally out of position, just sitting down watching.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #608: Aug 20, 2016 11:53:02 pm
      A squad full of Central Midfielders when we desperately needed somebody to replace Mane's pace and directness.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #609: Aug 21, 2016 12:09:22 am
      MOTD   

FFS 

Don't deflect our shitness by how how motd portrayed it. F**k sake have some dignity in defeat
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,231 posts | 1223 
      Reply #610: Aug 21, 2016 12:13:34 am
      Missed the game, in Barcelona...they smashed Betis today and we got beat by Burnley ffs. Bloody norah
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #611: Aug 21, 2016 12:30:49 am
      We were pish.

That's all.

Chill
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #612: Aug 21, 2016 03:41:23 am
      We have the worst defence in the league

Spot on. We should get Burnley's defensive coach in because that's the way our defence should be playing week in week out.

2 rows of 4 protecting that box like their lives depended on it.

We couldn't get a sniff and resorted to those stupid long shots, where normally at least 1 out of 20 will go in but we didn't look close last night.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #613: Aug 21, 2016 04:05:29 am
      Good:

Moving on.

Bad:

Mignolet - "good shot stopper".

Clyne - really can't attack. So rarely provides something useful in the final third and his crossing is sh*te. Stick to drilling the ball hard and low because you can't float one it, mate. And that pass for their goal...amateur and careless.

Lovren - somehow our best player. Won everything and had better long range passing than anyone else.

Klavan - was ok but needs to do better after getting an unlucky break for his first tackle in the second goal. Won the ball but never recovered after the ball bounced in Burnley's favour.

Milner - he's a F***ing right winger and nothing else. Can't stress this enough. And why the F**k did we keep attacking down his wing? He'd be in space to whip it in, but he'd check his run, cut in and try get a right footed one in when all space and momentum is gone.

Henderson - bugger off.

Wijnaldum - join Hendo.

Lallana - needs to be in the final third to be effective and even then...

Coutinho - use your teammates. Would've liked him to come deeper and pull their midfield out to create space.

Firmino - not his day but still had our best shot and produced the only two crosses in the box that someone should've scored from.

Sturridge - played in midfield all game. Lost his pace, or desire, or both.

Klopp - we learnt from Rodgers last season in the game against West Ham at Anfield that a left wing of two right footers cutting in doesn't work. Especially against compact teams. This was a massive fail. And he took way too long to try change it. We should've started Moreno still because we were never going to be asked a lot of questions with them on the ball. His recovery pace to defend counter attacks and his natural width may have helped us. That won't always be the case, though, of course.

Really fu**ed off with that. Typical though. Told my mum i wouldn't be shocked one bit if we lost this game. It's just what we do after a big win.
      glines
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 158 posts |
      Reply #614: Aug 21, 2016 05:14:34 am
      We need 2 signings to address much of today's frailty.

A proper DM, to sit in front of the back 4 and do what a DM does best. Henderson cannot do this in a 4-1-2-3. It's not using him at his best. I don't dislike the guy, there are just other CMs who push on better than him. Can could, but needs coaching. Ideally, a more experienced player who can take charge and stop the defenders dicking around.

An LB. We can all see it. Going into a PL campaign playing on of our more effective AMs (according to chances created) at LB is just ridiculous.

(and actually, while we're at it, let's loan Hart for the season too. Migs is sh*te and much as I want Karius to be the next goalkeeping messiah, we just don't know yet...)

Today was a frustrating blip. I listened to it in the car, then watched the highlights. Dyche came across much better in his radio interview and was generous in his praise for us (which is easier to do when you win!). Tuesday will be interesting - an opportunity for several players to play their way into the team for the weekend.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #615: Aug 21, 2016 05:39:40 am
      That's right, but are you really expecting us to win every game? I don't think lack of application was the problem today, just weren't at the races. There are bound to be blips along the way but we'll be up there at the end of the season.

def dont expect us to win every game.  but this is one of those games we tend to lose every year and the three precious points come back to haunt us
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #616: Aug 21, 2016 05:49:42 am
      Don't deflect our shitness by how how motd portrayed it. F**k sake have some dignity in defeat

Defeat ?

Dignity ?

I'm not deflecting our shitness far from it .... Im stating how gleefully for some , that was the first match on MOTD  which publicly amplified it by their choice.

However it is dressed up .... its only the second game of the season FFS and its the same old same old.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #617: Aug 21, 2016 08:05:33 am
      Blip... Just was not meant to be.
      Blip...blip....blip...blip...blip....blip......blip.......blip.....blip....blip.....blip.....blip......
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #618: Aug 21, 2016 08:25:42 am
      Pure pish by the way but this running theme where we have big problems breaking teams, who park the bus, down is exactly that... a "running theme"

It's being happening for a long time and under consecutive managers. A well drilled defence doesn't cost much so it's something all teams can work on and all 'lesser' teams do it against all 'higher' rated teams. The teams, with the ability to break this type of defence down, will win titles.

The fact that we have had little success, in doing that, and under consecutive managers dating way back, indicates (to me, anyhow) it is not something which can be solved easily by a manager alone. Better (or different) personnel maybe but clearly not a manager.

Jürgen clearly believes he has signed and kept the players he needs to do just that and let's remember it's only the second game after the transfer window (with no Mane) so I'm nowhere near to panicking just yet but time will tell if his faith in the players, he picks, is warranted.

Fingers crossed.  8)

brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #619: Aug 21, 2016 08:54:47 am
      Was a little surprised Danny Ings didn't get a start in this game with ex players coming back to haunt you and all that.
      We needed someone quick and direct !!!ticked those boxes.ah well
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #620: Aug 21, 2016 09:28:27 am
      Missed the game, in Barcelona...they smashed Betis today and we got beat by Burnley ffs. Bloody norah

And Little Luis Suarez got a hah-trick,how we could do with him back at Anfield.

Quick Reply