Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Chinese State Owned Company Everbright

Read 43134 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,623 posts | 759 
      Re: Chinese State Owned Company Everbright
      Reply #92: Aug 22, 2016 10:24:06 pm
      All very reminiscent of the Dubai ''bid'' that never was.

i believe this is far more real than that. But thats purely from listening to the skysports podcast. ;D
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #93: Aug 22, 2016 10:25:05 pm
      so if this goes through were will the money go because it will be too late to buy anyone.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #94: Aug 22, 2016 10:51:56 pm
      I don't like FSG as much as the next man but we should be very careful what we wish for. I'd rather see how a strategic partnership works out with the devil we know before jumping into bed with the devil we don't.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #95: Aug 22, 2016 10:54:23 pm
      i believe this is far more real than that. But thats purely from listening to the skysports podcast. ;D

What you call a contradiction.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #96: Aug 22, 2016 10:59:37 pm
      I don't like FSG as much as the next man but we should be very careful what we wish for. I'd rather see how a strategic partnership works out with the devil we know before jumping into bed with the devil we don't.

Yep, no issues seeing the backside of FSG as long as it's for BETTER owners, not WORSE ones.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #97: Aug 22, 2016 11:03:00 pm
      so if this goes through were will the money go because it will be too late to buy anyone.

There will be more transfer windows in the future you know.  ;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #98: Aug 22, 2016 11:05:49 pm

From what I've read this will have nothing to do with more money coming in for transfers. This would be all about FSG covering their initial investment and basically making millions (billions) on the sale of the club down the road. It's not going to make us spend like United or City or Chelsea all of the sudden. But there will likely be Kung Pao Pies on sale at Anfield in the not too distant future.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 342 
      Reply #99: Aug 22, 2016 11:41:18 pm

You're on a cautious note, like me, mate.  I don't want any megalomaniac new owner coming in with no idea about LFC and tellling us we're going to start playing in blue and calling ourselves Liverpool Lions or some such sh*te.  The whole 'rich overseas owner' vibe sounds like a) a very attractive proposition bringing with it oodles of spondoolies to spend, or b) selling your soul to the devil.  What's the happy medium? FSG?  F**king minefield.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #100: Aug 23, 2016 12:02:01 am
      From what I've read this will have nothing to do with more money coming in for transfers. This would be all about FSG covering their initial investment and basically making millions (billions) on the sale of the club down the road. It's not going to make us spend like United or City or Chelsea all of the sudden. But there will likely be Kung Pao Pies on sale at Anfield in the not too distant future.

Well that sounds like a lose-lose to me. I don't fault FSG one bit for their tactics. They have more than tripled their investment in a matter of years it seems. They're businessmen and capitalists simply doing what capitalists do. Unfortunately our beloved club is what ends up bearing the brunt of its consequences - but that happens all over all sports these days. Perhaps one in a hundred owners care more about the club/team itself than they do maximizing their profits, fortunately for us though, those two usually can run parallel with each other, but just don't let yourself be fooled that it's the other way around these days.

But hell, we're all well aware that it could most certainly be a lot worse. I would like to think though that there is some glimmer of hope that they will re-invest at least a portion of the influx of money back into the club - part of which would go into transfers I'd think.

After all, since they are sharp businessmen, they'll understand that the remaining portion of their ownership would end up being a lot more valuable if the team becomes more competitive and starts winning meaningful trophies - which certainly will happen if they invest more money in the club - which they'll hopefully be more willing to do now that they'd be playing in essentially a full-profit, no-risk environment.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #101: Aug 23, 2016 12:20:42 am

not much point when we don't spend the money we have to spend and there are no left backs left on the planet, No European football and no real stars in the team will not make us a good destination regardless of our history. If Jürgen doesn't create a team out of what he has we are in trouble for the foreseeable future
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #102: Aug 23, 2016 02:28:33 am
      You're on a cautious note, like me, mate.  I don't want any megalomaniac new owner coming in with no idea about LFC and tellling us we're going to start playing in blue and calling ourselves Liverpool Lions or some such sh*te.  The whole 'rich overseas owner' vibe sounds like a) a very attractive proposition bringing with it oodles of spondoolies to spend, or b) selling your soul to the devil.  What's the happy medium? FSG?  F**king minefield.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see FSG pack their bags and go. I have long believed they wish to run Liverpool in a similar manner to Arsenal, i.e. as a business, not a Football club, content to finish in the top four each year, reaping the financial rewards. However, what I absolutely don't want is new owners to come in and fleece us like the last lot did. We need to be certain we're not about to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #103: Aug 23, 2016 02:48:07 am
      I'm subscribed to The Anfield Wrap player and an interview with Jonathan Northcroft seemed to suggest that the Chinese state company are deadly serious about acquiring ownership of Liverpool.

Not merely a question of investment or whether they are mulling over having a stake, but the way he was talking seemed to suggest they want the 'whole goddamn pie'.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,623 posts | 759 
      Reply #104: Aug 23, 2016 03:17:42 am
      What you call a contradiction.

i dunno i feel like the journalists on the sunday supplement are pretty trustworthy.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #105: Aug 23, 2016 06:07:50 am

You know what I mean...
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #106: Aug 23, 2016 06:31:53 am

Mine is called Oscar .
      Thinks he is a dog sometimes ... at others an black panther.

Quick comment.
      When the Chinese story first arose a couple of months back , Klopp's new shiny locked in contract was signed.

Ah    So.

Mine's a number 24 .
      No beansprouts.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #107: Aug 23, 2016 06:56:49 am
      I'm subscribed to The Anfield Wrap player and an interview with Jonathan Northcroft seemed to suggest that the Chinese state company are deadly serious about acquiring ownership of Liverpool.

Not merely a question of investment or whether they are mulling over having a stake, but the way he was talking seemed to suggest they want the 'whole goddamn pie'.

The Americans have had their chance and it hasn't worked out.

Time for a change, hopefully they move on.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #108: Aug 23, 2016 07:12:25 am
      Couldn't be bothered whether the new owner is a Chinese or a 5 legged monster, just invest or buy this club outright and start playing catch up. The club has gone into hibernation in the last 25 years while the previous owners, one is a fake and the other has stoodstill with time and woke up only to realise he is a dinasaur.

On the other hand, it may be a good thing. Stifle the competition of the top 4 or 5 in all aspects in the next 5 years or more and with limited success would drain their resources in a damaging manner until they succumb to defeat.

That's what they did to us and it's high time they have a taste of their own medicine.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #109: Aug 23, 2016 09:01:31 am
      i dunno i feel like the journalists on the sunday supplement are pretty trustworthy.

Ha ha.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #110: Aug 23, 2016 09:15:25 am

The club would have dismissed this by now if there was no substance in this approach.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #111: Aug 23, 2016 09:18:30 am
      The club would have dismissed this by now if there was no substance in this approach.

they said its not for sale but they didn't say they wouldn't take a partner. I don't know what they get from LFC they don't go to many games we aren't in Europe so they don't get to travel to the glamour clubs and grounds its virtually a toy to the .
      All we have had since June 2007 is instability and questions oh and 5 managers
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #112: Aug 23, 2016 09:37:00 am
      they said its not for sale but they didn't say they wouldn't take a partner. I don't know what they get from LFC they don't go to many games we aren't in Europe so they don't get to travel to the glamour clubs and grounds its virtually a toy to the .
      All we have had since June 2007 is instability and questions oh and 5 managers
      Agreed Walt.

I am by no means a savvy businessman, but it makes sense for FSG to take on this offer of investment.

1. FSG retain control of the club with their majority share
      2. FSG will not have to worry about extra funding for the team - at all
      3. FSG can now focus 100% on the business side of things
      4. They've just built a new stand so the extra funding makes even more sense
      5. If this Everbright company is half as wealthy as reports make out, they can sell up whenever they feel like it (i.e. they won't have to go looking for buyers)
      6. We get back into Europe so they make even more money
      7. Shirt deals in China (population almost 1.4 billion) will go through the roof, i.e., more money
      8. If they refuse the deal, Everbright go on to buy Arsenal/Middlesborough or some other team in 'red' and FSG have another competitor to deal with
      9. The fans are happy and FSG are seen as the 'good guys' (the alternative is FSG's name is sullied even more in the fan's eyes)
      10. Sign Reus
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #113: Aug 23, 2016 09:37:10 am
      So I gather that in wanting new, rich owners, we are happy to watch the PL become just like Serie A or La Liga where there is no competition and it's a procession year on year? I might well be a Liverpool fan of nigh on 40 years, but at the same time I would never want to see us buy success. As with all things in life, the sweetest rewards come from hard work and determination. We haven't won the league for 26 years, but buying it would not taste as sweet as it should.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #114: Aug 23, 2016 09:43:19 am
      Didn't we buy success in the 80s?

Sure the scale was smaller, but we had the 80s equivalent of DIC/Everbright behind us with Littlewoods Pools financing our efforts

Quick Reply