Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leicester?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.6%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (0.6%)
      Lucas Leiva
      4 (2.5%)
      James Milner
      7 (4.3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      11 (6.8%)
      Adam Lallana
      23 (14.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      24 (14.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      85 (52.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      5 (3.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Kevin Stewart
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Voting closed: Sep 14, 2016 07:48:54 pm

Liverpool 4-1 Leicester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28262 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 Leicester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Sep 10, 2016 09:49:30 pm
      I can watch that Lallana goal over and over again. Such a sweet strike.

I had that goal down as one I could have scored ... until I saw it again :D
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #438: Sep 10, 2016 10:01:47 pm
      Agree with most,Lucas had a cracking game (but for).Found it difficult choosing mom.Gave it to (wait for it !!)Hendo.Hardly put a foot wrong throughout.Hope the Hendo "knockers" ease up a bit.Matips pretty cool/calm.Each attack had me on the edge of me seat.Can't wait for the Chelski game now.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #439: Sep 10, 2016 10:06:14 pm
      The BBC Sport report on this match reads like it was written by a primary school kid. Terrible journalism.

Extreme cutbacks on the Man Utd Fanzine it seems.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #440: Sep 10, 2016 10:08:45 pm
      We will have to be carefull at the back with Lucas as CB, come on reds

Prophetic....
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #441: Sep 10, 2016 11:01:24 pm
      We've scored more Prem goals in 2016 than any other team. (Opta)

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #442: Sep 10, 2016 11:18:18 pm
      Well done Jurgens REDS,3 points and that will do me.Now to thrash Chelsea. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #443: Sep 10, 2016 11:51:57 pm
      Really feel for Lucas -- he was having a monster game before that mistake.  Was a bit shaky afterward, but he finished the game well.  It's sad that all the rags and media will overlook his overall contribution and focus only on the giveaway....

The team performance was brilliant!!  Play like that every week and we'll be in with a shot at the title.

My biggest concern is Studge.  He was great today -- involved in all 3 of the goals before he went off, and could have (maybe should have) had 1 or 2 himself.  However, when he came off he got the obligatory high five from Klopp.  When Mane came off, he got a full body embrace of a hug....  Seems to be a rocky relationship between Jürgen and Danny, and I can't help but feel that IF Coutinho is restored to the starting 11 next game, it will be at Danny's expense....

Special shout out to Migs -- he had a good game and I would be happy with him in net ahead of Karius if he continues playing like that. 

Finally, I was really impressed with Milly at LB!!  He is really taking to the position and making it his own.  Kudos lad :)
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #444: Sep 11, 2016 12:04:21 am
      Thought we were good for all 4 goals today and could of been more. I'm not going to blame lucas too much cos this playing it out from the back is dodgy at the best of times not at least against the champions. Howard Webb pointed out that their goal shouldn't of counted because okazki entered the 18 yard box before migs played the ball to lucas but hey hoo.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #445: Sep 11, 2016 12:21:23 am
      Really feel for Lucas -- he was having a monster game before that mistake.  Was a bit shaky afterward, but he finished the game well.  It's sad that all the rags and media will overlook his overall contribution and focus only on the giveaway....

The team performance was brilliant!!  Play like that every week and we'll be in with a shot at the title.

My biggest concern is Studge.  He was great today -- involved in all 3 of the goals before he went off, and could have (maybe should have) had 1 or 2 himself.  However, when he came off he got the obligatory high five from Klopp.  When Mane came off, he got a full body embrace of a hug....  Seems to be a rocky relationship between Jürgen and Danny, and I can't help but feel that IF Coutinho is restored to the starting 11 next game, it will be at Danny's expense....

Special shout out to Migs -- he had a good game and I would be happy with him in net ahead of Karius if he continues playing like that. 

Finally, I was really impressed with Milly at LB!!  He is really taking to the position and making it his own.  Kudos lad :)

Looks like the body language experts are out in force!
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #446: Sep 11, 2016 12:53:30 am
      Voted Milner for Motm but a Hendo is worth a mention. Easily his best game in a very long time.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #447: Sep 11, 2016 12:58:36 am
      Watched the replay of the game. We're lethal in attack, there were some poor moments in some players, not going to highlight that in this game that we made the champion looked ordinary. What I saw in the game, not in any particular order :

Leicester started with a very high tempo game hoping that we are still in a slumber, as usual, score a very very early goal and close shop. We did well not to be caught out so early in the game.

Our midfield and defence were compact and did not give them too much space.

Lucas, in spite of the horror of a pass started by Mignolet, allow the team to be more balance. As usual, he did all the dirty job that went unnoticed. Won't fault him too much on the goal conceded, that's what we can expect when he has not been on the pitch for such a long time.

Mane, being Mane, we would have been less threatening if he is not on the pitch. This is the type of player most probably Klopp is looking out for now. Aggression, pace and commitment. When he's on the teamsheet, I am more confident of us winning a game.

As the game drew on, Leicester became desperate and committed more bodies forward and allowed us the space to explore at the back. And it appears that Klopp has done a good job in counter-attack play.

Not forgetting Milner, not the quickest around but he is one that can unlock defences with his pass, Firminho 1st goal is a good example. A very intelligent player, he is silently effective. Klopp would have to deploy Milner more often on the left wing.

Hendo, played well and has the vision of Stevie and 2 of his passes resulted in goals. If he had more confidence to do that more often he will be fantastic.

Firminho is one that thrives well in tight spaces, he needs to be inside the opposition box to be effective, outside the box he will not be much of a use.

Often, we have been overcrowded in midfield and when we regained possession we bombed the ball forward to Mane and Firminho, Leicester defence weren't there to track back fast enough to close down the space.

Sturridge did well too had a good game, assisted with a back flick for Mane to score. He can’t do any better with those opportunities when their goalkeeper got the goal covered. Klopp must use Sturridge more often to allow him to regain his sharpness.

Matip is strong and quick, quick decisive forward passes ala Hamann, can only sees him improve from here.

Wijnaldum had a good assist inside the box but way too weak to defend in midfield. Got a bit of an earful from Klopp on that. Same Rafa treatment on  Alonso and Alonso went on to become a very effective midfielder, both in attack and defense. If Wijnaldum improves on his defensive capabilities he’ll be an awesome player.

Lallana being Lallana, missing thoughout the game and sprung to life to score a wonder goal. Another player that thrives inside the box. He’ll link up well with Mane and Firminho.

Referee pointed Huth towards his own goal, most probably referring to an earlier incident where Huth deliberate trailing foot caught Firminho’s head. It could easily have caused Firminho to go blind. Huth stamped on one of our players before, a few seasons ago  and went unpunished. He has to win and loose a game professionally. Huth on the 61st min tripped sturridge inside the box for nothing.

But most importantly for me, we have started to show what we can do inside the opposition box, unlocking stubborn defences in tight spaces. Teams of such quality is very very difficult to play against.

Hope that we keep our consistency and continue to grind out results. It’s early of the season, teams will loose points along the way and we just have to make sure that we retain our consistency which is our greatest enemy at the moment.

Man of the match is Mane for me for his hardworking attitude.

This team will go far, if they are played more often together and they can only get better from here.

Overall, very happy with the lads performance and onward and upwards we go.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #448: Sep 11, 2016 01:18:06 am
      Looks like the body language experts are out in force!

You could be right -- I might be making a mountain out of a molehill.  However, you can't deny the fact that the reception Mane got from the boss was a world away from the one Danny got.  I don't even think Danny and Jürgen made eye contact as he left the pitch....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #449: Sep 11, 2016 01:26:34 am
      Really feel for Lucas -- he was having a monster game before that mistake.  Was a bit shaky afterward, but he finished the game well.

Must be difficult knowing you are essentially biding your time.  Not a main member of the team etc - manager doesn't really fancy you.  The cynics amongst us probably point to his massive wages easing the pain - but still - the clock is starting to tick on his career and I'm sure he would rather be a central figure in a team.

I wonder if he even enjoys playing there as opposed to midfield?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #450: Sep 11, 2016 01:29:26 am
      You could be right -- I might be making a mountain out of a molehill.  However, you can't deny the fact that the reception Mane got from the boss was a world away from the one Danny got.  I don't even think Danny and Jürgen made eye contact as he left the pitch....

It is intriguing isn't it.  Very strange how certain players like Owen and Sturridge just do not seem to have the connection with Liverpudlians despite their talents.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #451: Sep 11, 2016 01:39:47 am

Personally I am a supporter of the manager deciding what is best for an individual player.

And Maybe Danny is not a fan of the Jürgen hugs and kisses.

But there again I was never paid millions to play in fact I have been never paid!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #452: Sep 11, 2016 01:44:36 am
      Must be difficult knowing you are essentially biding your time.  Not a main member of the team etc - manager doesn't really fancy you.  The cynics amongst us probably point to his massive wages easing the pain - but still - the clock is starting to tick on his career and I'm sure he would rather be a central figure in a team.

I wonder if he even enjoys playing there as opposed to midfield?

He is a intelligent guy and probably knows deep down that if he wants to play in the EPL it will be as a CB.

He no longer has the mobility  to play in midfield and thankfully we gave a manager who has recognised that fact.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #453: Sep 11, 2016 02:41:03 am
      Firminho is one that thrives well in tight spaces, he needs to be inside the opposition box to be effective, outside the box he will not be much of a use.

After ripping Leicester a new one, this is all you can say about him? You have a problem.

He was devastating in Leicester's half. Making runs, linking up with his teammates, providing through balls and made a terrific run for his first and second goal - both starting from outside the box.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #454: Sep 11, 2016 03:10:53 am
      Great performance on the whole and 4 did not flatter us.  This game was Klopp through and through, and showed his philosophy.  He is more concerned about the team as a unit, than individuals. That team ethic came across in the post match with Lallana and Danny.

Watched the City game earlier and thought their movement and running was great, but ours was better.  There was so much forward running (often selfless) that created space and opportunity that it was great to watch.

Gave Bobby MOTM, but it was a close run thing with Lallana for me. Both worked tirelessly and created so much. I like Lallana in a slightly deeper role. Though he probably should have scored I thought Danny's performance was good today, and his movement was far better than it has been.

Thought Hendo put in his best performance for a long time today, and Gigi looked better also.  Defended pretty well for the most part, and again it was individual errors that are the only cause for concern.

Glad that their goal didn't cost us too much when as has been mentioned it possibly should have been disallowed, but alls well that ends well.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #455: Sep 11, 2016 03:11:53 am
      After ripping Leicester a new one, this is all you can say about him? You have a problem.

He was devastating in Leicester's half. Making runs, linking up with his teammates, providing through balls and made a terrific run for his first and second goal - both starting from outside the box.

Indeed. Robert doesn't need to be told what to do after another excellent 90 minutes. Continues to be a much underrated player.

Fans and players alike - underestimate this man at your peril.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #456: Sep 11, 2016 03:36:43 am

Mate, he even suggested that Firmino needs to be sold after the Spurs game. Obviously not the biggest fan of the lad.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #457: Sep 11, 2016 04:28:10 am
      Mate, he even suggested that Firmino needs to be sold after the Spurs game. Obviously not the biggest fan of the lad.

As soon as he has a bad game there'll be a 3 page essay on every bad decision he made.

Can't win.

Bet he'll be back to the striker role on Friday.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,665 posts | 491 
      Reply #458: Sep 11, 2016 05:01:13 am
      I'm not even mad, but quite surprised to see that only a few posts have been made as we won. Had we lost the game, I'm pretty sure some people would have been ready to take out their war- keyboards.

Amazing, what a win can do to this place, that too a very convincing one.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 631 posts | 61 
      Reply #459: Sep 11, 2016 08:04:08 am
      Great win against the current champions,Leicester are a very good side and got well and truly battered.I went for Mane motm,he puts fear into the opponents,with his pace and eye for goal,great buy.Only downside for me is the obvious,and it needs sorting out,why the F**k was Lucas and Migs trying to play tiki taka,on the edge of the penalty area,when you have a player lurking with the pace that Vardy has ,just hoof the F***ing thing,Can and Lovren coming back will be a massive boost.

Quick Reply