Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leicester?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.6%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (0.6%)
      Lucas Leiva
      4 (2.5%)
      James Milner
      7 (4.3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      11 (6.8%)
      Adam Lallana
      23 (14.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      24 (14.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      85 (52.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      5 (3.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Kevin Stewart
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Voting closed: Sep 14, 2016 07:48:54 pm

Liverpool 4-1 Leicester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27259 times
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 Leicester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Sep 11, 2016 07:58:52 pm
      But some would say there has been no visible progress on the pitch under Klopp.

Now needs to bed the defence down and we could be on for a title challenge.
      Come on mate , a title challenge? Lets not get carried away. A good win but we are so  inconsistent  who knows how we are gona play against Chelsea. We are still gifting teams goals , nothing has changed there. Wait till we have a run of clean sheets or hard fought 1-0 wins before we start shouting about titles.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #507: Sep 11, 2016 08:01:42 pm
      There isn't because those goals haven't translated into consistency. Going back as far as Rafa our problem has been a lack of consistency and under Klopp our problem is still a lack of consistency. Yesterday was fantastic, take nothing away from that, but we were fantastic against Arsenal and lost to Burnley. Enjoy yesterday for what it was but don't suggest it represents progress because only once we have consistency will their be progress and that remains to be seen.

Right ok, so sorting our attack out to the level that we have scored the most goals in 2016 doesn't represent progress towards the consistency you mention?

Every club in the world is chasing consistency because it is what wins titles ultimately but to say we won't have made progress until we are consistent doesn't really sit with me because if we were consistent we would be the finished product. I'm talking about progress towards that finished product.

'Enjoy yesterday for what is was' does my head in, why should I not feel optimistic about the future and where I think Klopp wants to take us?
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,658 posts | 487 
      Reply #508: Sep 11, 2016 08:04:09 pm
      There isn't because those goals haven't translated into consistency. Going back as far as Rafa our problem has been a lack of consistency and under Klopp our problem is still a lack of consistency. Yesterday was fantastic, take nothing away from that, but we were fantastic against Arsenal and lost to Burnley. Enjoy yesterday for what it was but don't suggest it represents progress because only once we have consistency will their be progress and that remains to be seen.
      What on earth are you on about?
      It's just 4 league games into the season and you are crying about consistency?

Enjoy the win FFS!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #509: Sep 11, 2016 08:04:34 pm
      Sorting out the defence, still dreadful at times and finding some consistency, will go a long way to improving a serious challenge for the title.

I'm hoping this time around, that is exactly what will happen. We haven't seen Klopps preferred back 4 yet due to injuries and form, but hopefully that will be rectified next match, and may continue for some time.
      It's still not cast in stone that he will continue with the same strike force as yesterday, and that is also a worry.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #510: Sep 11, 2016 08:14:20 pm
      The problem with our play is that we play in short bursts of high intensity. How many times against Leicester did we break but slow down in the final third. All our goals came from quick incisive passing. But we still do not play consistently for 90 minutes.

The tempo of our high intensity game is never gonna last for 90 mins plus.
      As long as we can keep passing and moving, and holding on to the ball at a slower pace in between the moments of high intensity, we should see games through, still able to create high intensity moments till the last minute. Anything else and we will be totally knackered and get picked off ion the last 15 mins.
      When you are two goals to the good, it's a good tactic to slow the game down, as long as you keep possession.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #511: Sep 11, 2016 08:21:30 pm
      I think we've given teams goals by getting caught out of position at the back occasionally. Anxiously pushed up to far pressing for a goal, and getting caught on the counter.
      We didn't give Leicester to much which is a good sign, and Lucas' cock up was down to going for a simple drag back and studding the ball. Lost a bit of time and space, and that became a 50-50. in a lunge for the ball, he then toe pokes it across the box.  It wasn't really a breakdown from open play, just a miss cue on the ball, which to be fair is very rare.
      Putting that aside, we continued to dominate 85% of the remainder of the match. So aside from the set back, we were consistent.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #512: Sep 11, 2016 08:35:27 pm
      In the interests of keeping the overreacting to every game theme going here's my summary:
      Klopp is a genius who can do no wrong, Milner was born to play left back, Leicester will get relegated without Kante and we're going to win the league. ;)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Reply #513: Sep 11, 2016 09:58:59 pm
      rossyred

• 9,290 posts | 1664 
      Reply #514: Sep 11, 2016 10:23:25 pm
      Against Chelsea it wouldn't surprise me to see Sturridge drop to the bench, Coutinho to come in with Firmino as a false 9 and then Can coming in for Wijnaldum.

Agree could use that Just think the message it sends to winning team and Sturridge could be detrimental but if it gets the result .....
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #515: Sep 11, 2016 11:22:52 pm

Our attack looks more fluid and cohesive without Coutinho in the front 3, doesn;t it?

I think it should be Lallana or Coutinho fighting for that deeper midfield role as I feel we should have at least 2 proper midfielders.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #516: Sep 12, 2016 12:04:01 am
      Quote from Muzzman1969
      Great performance on the whole and 4 did not flatter us.  This game was Klopp through and through, and showed his philosophy. 

Glad that their goal didn't cost us too much when as has been mentioned it possibly should have been disallowed, but alls well that ends well.

It cost us going clear 5th on goal difference. Now you can say it doesn't matter now, but it does. The goal difference before today wasn't great, so a 4 goal margin was needed to go clear in 5th. Because of that, we're not.

With the new stand opening, there was only ever going to be one result, which we got. We set up and took the goals well, and it looks like Mane has won me over. We've been missing a forward who could give Bolt a run for his money, and it looks like we finally have it. However, he's only played sides that leave gaps and let us play so far, and there's still the Hulls and the Swanseas and the West Broms lurking over the horizon where he won't get either, so lets see how he deals with that.

Anyway, we're off to face Conte next, a coach who can organise a defence and nick wins out of nowhere. But even if we don't get a result down there, at least the trip will be over with, and half our trips to London will be already done.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #517: Sep 12, 2016 12:04:57 am

Our attack looks more fluid and cohesive without Coutinho in the front 3, doesn;t it?

I think it should be Lallana or Coutinho fighting for that deeper midfield role as I feel we should have at least 2 proper midfielders.
      Funny you should say that, for the past couple of week I have been questioning the whole Coutinho/Firmino/Mane partnership upfront... We rarely get anything worth while out of playing Firmino and Coutinho up front together... I have always felt  Coutinho would serve both LFC and himself play behind the front three
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #518: Sep 12, 2016 02:10:52 am
      Brilliant result

positives - played some nice attacking football, front 4 looked good and linked up well, created good opportunities from a lot of areas on the pitch

negatives - defensive blunder, shocking loss of composure after the blunder and at the same point some players seemed to go into hiding.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #519: Sep 12, 2016 03:48:54 am
      Sorting out the defence, still dreadful at times and finding some consistency, will go a long way to improving a serious challenge for the title.

That's how i see it. I honestly think ourselves, City and Chelsea can each put up a fight for the title.

If we can continue to build, improve on our mistakes and develop our cohesion, i don't see why we cannot challenge for the title.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #520: Sep 12, 2016 05:47:16 am

Where are the Red nets ?
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2016 06:00:23 am by MIRO »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 764 
      Reply #521: Sep 12, 2016 07:03:59 am
      I well remember the Red nets, seemingly a reminder who we are Liverpool !
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #522: Sep 12, 2016 07:12:56 am
      I so love seeing us perform like we did yesterday. The footy is breathtaking at times, and on another day we could have had 6 or 7. In all fairness, take away the Lucas blip, and they still had 3 decent chances as well.
      Migs made a couple of decent saves, which is what he's there fore, but his weaknesses still haunt me.
      I do wonder if we can ever fully eradicate the Watford, Burnley sort of performances that continue to blight our seasons. I dearly hope so, but I can never put my finger on what causes them ! That makes them more frustrating.
      I'm hoping that Jürgen will now deploy Sturridge in the No 9 role for as long as he is fit. It's clearly the most damaging to the opposition, as it creates so much cohesion with the other players.  We certainly looked a well balanced side yesterday, and I'm hoping Jürgen will continue with it. We've still got Can and Lovren to come in when needed, and Karius if necessary, along with others.
      Looking forward to the Chavs game, but that won't tell us much as they are likely to come out to play. That makes it an open game which we will exploit. It's the games against the likes of Hull, Watford, Palace etc that we will be tested by, and our ability or inability to get through the 9 man defensive walls.
      I'm hoping and praying it all comes good, but i've still got a very tiny niggle at the back of my mind, wondering iff !
      If Jürgen can engineer a tactic and overcome that, i think i'm going to say the title could be ours.
      I think I can sit back and enjoy the games against the top sides, It's the remainder that cause me to have the one eyed squint at the telly.

Not very likely. Les Plastica will park a bus (or possibly two) and try to catch us on a break. Conte is no fool and will do same as Mouninho in 2013/14 season. This will be a severe test for our team to break them down - ala Burnley.

I can possibly see Costa being sent off  ;D (with Lovren if he is back).
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2016 07:23:36 am by RobieSlick »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Reply #523: Sep 12, 2016 09:11:23 am
      Come on mate , a title challenge? Lets not get carried away. A good win but we are so  inconsistent  who knows how we are gona play against Chelsea. We are still gifting teams goals , nothing has changed there. Wait till we have a run of clean sheets or hard fought 1-0 wins before we start shouting about titles.

Think he already mentioned that didn't he?

Now needs to bed the defence down and we could be on for a title challenge.

As pointed out in another thread.  We've beaten 1st at home, beaten 2nd away and drawn against 3rd away.  We lost away at newly promoted Burnley but it's hardly like they wiped the floor with us.  Left our shooting boots at home - simple as that.   On the whole it's hard to look at the first 4 games and be negative.

The speed at which Matip and Mane seem to have settled in is positive.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Reply #524: Sep 12, 2016 09:12:28 am

Gone.  Replaced again with white ones.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #525: Sep 12, 2016 09:22:58 am
      Double posting ay.....
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #526: Sep 12, 2016 09:29:48 am

He's gotta keep up with me somehow.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #527: Sep 12, 2016 09:56:02 am
      Seniors Won  Check

U23's    Won  Check

U18's    Won  Check

Great weekend all round.

Bring on those plastic cu*ts.
      Tadders

• 6,787 posts | 573 
      Reply #528: Sep 12, 2016 10:16:41 am
      I thought we would need to score 4 to win, but apart from the 1 F**k up, we were fantastic. They were always going to create chances, they will against anyone.
      All in all, great game and performance.

Quick Reply