Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leicester?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.6%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (0.6%)
      Lucas Leiva
      4 (2.5%)
      James Milner
      7 (4.3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      11 (6.8%)
      Adam Lallana
      23 (14.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      24 (14.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      85 (52.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      5 (3.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Kevin Stewart
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Voting closed: Sep 14, 2016 07:48:54 pm

Liverpool 4-1 Leicester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27390 times
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 Leicester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #483: Sep 11, 2016 12:42:50 pm
      We have outplayed every team we have faced this season, for not a lot of return. Looking forward to a greta season.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #484: Sep 11, 2016 12:55:46 pm
      Sky Sports are a F***ing embarrassment. Shoving our game to the very last minute of Goals on Sunday, showed barely any highlights and did absolutely no analysis purely because BT Sport showed the game.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #485: Sep 11, 2016 01:04:12 pm
      Sky Sports are a F***ing embarrassment. Shoving our game to the very last minute of Goals on Sunday, showed barely any highlights and did absolutely no analysis purely because BT Sport showed the game.

Typical F***ing Sky. If they don't show it, it gets very little exposure - so petty. They used to do the same thing with F1 while giving that pathetic A1 racing series a lot more coverage.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #486: Sep 11, 2016 01:07:03 pm

Sky are owned by Murdoch, we beat the EPL Champions convincingly, if front of our new stand, in front of our biggest home attendance since 1977, why should it not be ignored by Sky? What's to talk about?
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #487: Sep 11, 2016 02:30:52 pm
      Sky Sports are a f**king embarrassment. Shoving our game to the very last minute of Goals on Sunday, showed barely any highlights and did absolutely no analysis purely because BT Sport showed the game.

Only allowed  a few seconds of coverage.  Who gives a fcuk anyway. Great performance  all round.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #488: Sep 11, 2016 02:37:40 pm
      Finished watching it again, and while there are a lot of positives, it's clear we also have more work to do.
      Having a settled CB pairing will help most I think, and it looks like Matip and Lovren will be first choice pair.

The interchanging and runs made by the front 3 were really, really good yesterday, and with Wijnaldum and Lallana supporting, there were always plenty of options even in a (at times) packed defense.

Good stuff, now keep it going :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #489: Sep 11, 2016 03:46:15 pm
      Still delighted we won so convincingly against a good Leicester side. I thought we were much tighter as a unit than I have seen since Klopp took over. We moved forward as a unit and most of the time back as a unit which should lead to more consistency in our performances.

I doubt the old maxim of never changing a winning team will be applied against Chelsea, but wouldn't worry me overmuch if it was. I just hope we have no more injuries so we can start to see just what and who Jürgen thinks is our strongest formation(s) and lineup.

Would have been a real blow if we had lost yesterday especially with another tough game coming up against Chelsea, so the delight we won is that much greater.

Onward and upward (hopefully) :)     
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #490: Sep 11, 2016 03:53:38 pm
      We were all, me included... saying how awful Lucas was with the error! but it seems a Leicester player ran into the box before the goal kick was taken. Ref missed it. We could have had a penalty too... and with the saves from their keeper it could have been 7-0.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #491: Sep 11, 2016 03:55:32 pm

That's to do with media rights and all that bollocks.
      RedWilly

• 9,199 posts | 1642 
      Reply #492: Sep 11, 2016 04:23:18 pm
      Finished watching it again, and while there are a lot of positives, it's clear we also have more work to do.
      Having a settled CB pairing will help most I think, and it looks like Matip and Lovren will be first choice pair.

The interchanging and runs made by the front 3 were really, really good yesterday, and with Wijnaldum and Lallana supporting, there were always plenty of options even in a (at times) packed defense.

Good stuff, now keep it going :)

Agree mate, I think Jürgen has bedded down how he wants us to attack which when it comes together really works. Building a strong attack first is also a sure fire way to get the fans onboard because it's entertaining and makes you think 'what could be'.

BUT Brendan did the same and it was great but after not sorting the defence questions were being asked but I'm sure Jürgen knows what he wants from his defence and is now getting to work on it.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,309 posts | 768 
      Reply #493: Sep 11, 2016 04:47:54 pm
      Watched the game in the local tea time Saturday. Great performance from the lads, apart from Lucas's gift to the opposition. Leicester do not seem the same force as last season for some reason. Let's hope for more of the same and beat Chelsea in their own backyard next week.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,365 posts | 1538 
      Reply #494: Sep 11, 2016 06:15:32 pm
      I so love seeing us perform like we did yesterday. The footy is breathtaking at times, and on another day we could have had 6 or 7. In all fairness, take away the Lucas blip, and they still had 3 decent chances as well.
      Migs made a couple of decent saves, which is what he's there fore, but his weaknesses still haunt me.
      I do wonder if we can ever fully eradicate the Watford, Burnley sort of performances that continue to blight our seasons. I dearly hope so, but I can never put my finger on what causes them ! That makes them more frustrating.
      I'm hoping that Jürgen will now deploy Sturridge in the No 9 role for as long as he is fit. It's clearly the most damaging to the opposition, as it creates so much cohesion with the other players.  We certainly looked a well balanced side yesterday, and I'm hoping Jürgen will continue with it. We've still got Can and Lovren to come in when needed, and Karius if necessary, along with others.
      Looking forward to the Chavs game, but that won't tell us much as they are likely to come out to play. That makes it an open game which we will exploit. It's the games against the likes of Hull, Watford, Palace etc that we will be tested by, and our ability or inability to get through the 9 man defensive walls.
      I'm hoping and praying it all comes good, but i've still got a very tiny niggle at the back of my mind, wondering iff !
      If Jürgen can engineer a tactic and overcome that, i think i'm going to say the title could be ours.
      I think I can sit back and enjoy the games against the top sides, It's the remainder that cause me to have the one eyed squint at the telly.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #495: Sep 11, 2016 06:26:13 pm
      I so love seeing us perform like we did yesterday. The footy is breathtaking at times, and on another day we could have had 6 or 7. In all fairness, take away the Lucas blip, and they still had 3 decent chances as well.
      Migs made a couple of decent saves, which is what he's there fore, but his weaknesses still haunt me.
      I do wonder if we can ever fully eradicate the Watford, Burnley sort of performances that continue to blight our seasons. I dearly hope so, but I can never put my finger on what causes them ! That makes them more frustrating.
      I'm hoping that Jürgen will now deploy Sturridge in the No 9 role for as long as he is fit. It's clearly the most damaging to the opposition, as it creates so much cohesion with the other players.  We certainly looked a well balanced side yesterday, and I'm hoping Jürgen will continue with it. We've still got Can and Lovren to come in when needed, and Karius if necessary, along with others.
      Looking forward to the Chavs game, but that won't tell us much as they are likely to come out to play. That makes it an open game which we will exploit. It's the games against the likes of Hull, Watford, Palace etc that we will be tested by, and our ability or inability to get through the 9 man defensive walls.
      I'm hoping and praying it all comes good, but i've still got a very tiny niggle at the back of my mind, wondering iff !
      If Jürgen can engineer a tactic and overcome that, i think i'm going to say the title could be ours.
      I think I can sit back and enjoy the games against the top sides, It's the remainder that cause me to have the one eyed squint at the telly.

Good post mate. The football was unreal wasn't it? Right up there with some of our better home performances of the last few seasons, although the best I've seen us play was probably Arsenal when we were four up in the first quarter hour.

As for the packed defence thing I totally agree with you that that's where we are likely to struggle. That said, Leicester packed their defence yesterday and we unpicked them without too much bother. The key as you say is Sturridge and us having a focal point to our attacks. Providing the Burnley selection was a one off, I'm hopeful we'll break most teams down.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #496: Sep 11, 2016 06:45:28 pm
      Eventually watched the match. Thought we did great, could've had more, though we still give sides a chance with the skitters at the back. When they came back to 2-1 though, we kept playing and attacking and deservedly pulled away. Delighted :)

Interesting how well the front 3 linked up, without Cou. Firmino was my MOTM, super performance, has been playing well anyway, just not getting on the scoresheet, so WELL deserved couple for him. Studge did a lot of good work, made space, lovely control and passing, maybe lacking some sharpness in finishing, but made a good case for starting yesterday. Mane is so quick and direct, he's been excellent since coming in. I love Cou, but the formation up top yest worked well with Danny - will Klopp keep the same starting 11 vs. Chavs? If Cou does come back in, you'd have to think would be Danny to make way, but then you loose what he gives which is a bit different. Good problems for Klopp to have :)

In the middle, the lads did well. Hendo played better, and Gigi, but Lallana was the pick, really good game from him.
      At the back, Migs did OK, but still ropey in the air, and Lucas's giveaway was an absolute howler, tho he did really well otherwise considering. Milner and Clyne did fine, as did Matip.

Roll on les plasticos...
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #497: Sep 11, 2016 06:46:21 pm

respect this man so much,ALWAYS honest.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #498: Sep 11, 2016 06:49:26 pm

:lmao: Love that.

RedWilly

• 9,199 posts | 1642 
      Reply #499: Sep 11, 2016 07:17:39 pm
      OptaJoe @OptaJoe

10th Sep 19:18

50 - @LFC have scored more Premier League goals in 2016 than any other team (50). Prolific.

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe

8 - @LFC have scored 3+ goals eight times in the @premierleague in 2016, more than any other side. Rampant.

But some would say there has been no visible progress on the pitch under Klopp.

Now needs to bed the defence down and we could be on for a title challenge.
      rossyred

• 9,304 posts | 1668 
      Reply #500: Sep 11, 2016 07:22:25 pm
      Will be interesting to see the team Friday sure Lovren and Can will come in but Coutinho Im not so sure Lallana surely cant be axed after a great start to the season . Not sure Gini has done enough to stay in
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #501: Sep 11, 2016 07:34:10 pm
      Will be interesting to see the team Friday sure Lovren and Can will come in but Coutinho Im not so sure Lallana surely cant be axed after a great start to the season . Not sure Gini has done enough to stay in

Against Chelsea it wouldn't surprise me to see Sturridge drop to the bench, Coutinho to come in with Firmino as a false 9 and then Can coming in for Wijnaldum.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #502: Sep 11, 2016 07:36:18 pm
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #503: Sep 11, 2016 07:51:26 pm
      The problem with our play is that we play in short bursts of high intensity. How many times against Leicester did we break but slow down in the final third. All our goals came from quick incisive passing. But we still do not play consistently for 90 minutes.
      I thought Clyne was poor yesterday , but i have never rated him anyway. While the result was good , we still have to many players who are inconsistent. I have never rated Lucas but i thought he was excellent yesterday , except for the howler.

Leicester were awful but Chelsea will be a tougher test.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #504: Sep 11, 2016 07:52:27 pm
      But some would say there has been no visible progress on the pitch under Klopp.

Now needs to bed the defence down and we could be on for a title challenge.

There isn't because those goals haven't translated into consistency. Going back as far as Rafa our problem has been a lack of consistency and under Klopp our problem is still a lack of consistency. Yesterday was fantastic, take nothing away from that, but we were fantastic against Arsenal and lost to Burnley. Enjoy yesterday for what it was but don't suggest it represents progress because only once we have consistency will their be progress and that remains to be seen.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,309 posts | 768 
      Reply #505: Sep 11, 2016 07:58:18 pm
      Sorting out the defence, still dreadful at times and finding some consistency, will go a long way to improving a serious challenge for the title.

Quick Reply