Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. In July 06 we asked if Pennant was a good signing. 90% of you said Yes. So, was Pennant a good signing?

Yes
      (26.2%)
      No
      (73.8%)

Jermaine Pennant (Winger)

Read 42061 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,479 posts | 2862 
      Re: Portsmouth agree fee for Pennant but...
      Reply #322: Jan 20, 2009 10:41:57 pm
      You seriously want me to prove you wrong by telling you the games in which he was outstanding? be serious.

You could name a few, I agree.

Still he put money ahead of football in my books and even his few performances won't repay the huge sums of money we paid him/paid to get him.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #323: Jan 20, 2009 11:59:36 pm
      Not disappointed to see him go, even if it is only a loan deal.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #324: Jan 21, 2009 05:37:20 am
      the thing is why did rafa sign him in the first place knowing his history pretty well.he didnt have any disciplinary problems during his early days with us,it was only when he started getting the feeling that he has no future at this club his troubled past again reared its head.i still think he is a better player than el zhar & had he been utilised even sparingly & not completely frozen out of the team we would surely have got some return on him since rafa was so adamant on getting rid of him
      posouth
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #325: Jan 21, 2009 08:57:55 am
      the thing is why did rafa sign him in the first place knowing his history pretty well.he didnt have any disciplinary problems during his early days with us,it was only when he started getting the feeling that he has no future at this club his troubled past again reared its head.I still think he is a better player than el zhar & had he been utilised even sparingly & not completely frozen out of the team we would surely have got some return on him since rafa was so adamant on getting rid of him
      Agree you with the disciplinary problems floating up part! I still remember one interview on Alonso that he described Pennant as THE worst trainer in the team. He said Pennant sometimes would train even without shoelaces tied. Suddenly I understood why he didn't even make the bench.

One note though. To me it seems unfair to criticize Pennant's performance on the field. He always impressed me, especially the way he can dominate
       the right flank even without help from the right back. None of our current wingers (left/right) have that ability in my mind.

Good player, bad attitude, bad fit to the team.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #326: Jan 21, 2009 10:59:10 am
      You seriously want me to prove you wrong by telling you the games in which he was outstanding? be serious.

Prove me wrong by telling how and why he has been a good player for us.  The reason you can't is because he hasn't.  Simple truth.

How many times have you actually said, Pennant played a blinder.

I have, twice.  Once against Chelsea and once against AC Milan
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #327: Jan 21, 2009 02:19:23 pm
      Pennant has spoken to the official Portsmouth website.

"It’s been frustrating this season but the Liverpool manager decided he didn’t want to play me for whatever reason. But now I want to help Pompey climb the table."

"Tony’s (Adams)given me the opportunity to come here and hopefully play regular first-team football. I played with him at Arsenal, so I know what he’s like. He was desperate for me to come which is very encouraging to hear. I want to repay some of that confidence by coming here and doing the best that I can. "

Odds on relegation for Pompey narrowing.  :f_whistle:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #328: Jan 21, 2009 02:41:34 pm
      Pennant has spoken to the official Portsmouth website.

"It’s been frustrating this season but the Liverpool manager decided he didn’t want to play me for whatever reason. But now I want to help Pompey climb the table."

"Tony’s (Adams)given me the opportunity to come here and hopefully play regular first-team football. I played with him at Arsenal, so I know what he’s like. He was desperate for me to come which is very encouraging to hear. I want to repay some of that confidence by coming here and doing the best that I can. "

Odds on relegation for Pompey narrowing.  :f_whistle:
      thats a weight off
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #329: Jan 21, 2009 08:28:31 pm
      perhaps he and crouch can get something going. but jp  hasnt got much time to prove himself. mow he will have to work for his money. cant see him lasting at pompey. he hasnt acted professional on and off the pitch. i will watch with interest to see if he even makes the first team.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #330: Jan 21, 2009 09:01:55 pm
      Little off topic, but how does a "Loan" work...
      Do Pomey pay all of Pennants Wages, of a percentage of his wages, do LFC get any payment for the higher of their employee, or is it any combination of these according to the agreement?
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #331: Jan 21, 2009 09:29:14 pm
      Little off topic, but how does a "Loan" work...
      Do Pomey pay all of Pennants Wages, of a percentage of his wages, do LFC get any payment for the higher of their employee, or is it any combination of these according to the agreement?

Well a lot of times clubs will pay a small fee to get the player on loan then have to pay his wages as the season goes on but it all depends on what they agree on.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #332: Jan 22, 2009 03:06:56 am
      Hope it works out for him..he has a descent run to the end of the season, then we make the deal permanent in exchnage for Kranjcar plus a bit of cash that would be a good bit of business.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #333: Jan 22, 2009 07:34:07 am
      He's out of contract in the summer. He would then just sign on and not give us anything.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #334: Jan 22, 2009 01:50:36 pm
      He's out of contract in the summer. He would then just sign on and not give us anything.
      Looks like thats why LFC are duckin n' divin trying to salvage what they can out of the mess.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Re: Jermaine Pennant - LFC Player thread
      Reply #335: Jan 23, 2009 11:15:33 pm
      Rafael Benitez did not pick me because I'm English, claims Jermaine Pennant
      Jermaine Pennant has launched a bitter parting swipe at Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez by claiming the Spaniard refused to pick him because he is English.
      By Alex Crook, Daily Telegraph

Pennant this week joined Portsmouth on loan for the final six months of his Anfield contract after being restricted to only two Premier League starts this season following Benitez's summer recruitment drive.

The former England Under-21 midfielder claims he is the latest in a series of home-grown players who have found themselves replaced by Benitez's foreign imports.

Pennant, speaking ahead of his Portsmouth debut in Saturday's FA Cup fourth-round tie at home to Swansea, said: "I don't know if it is the English mentality he dislikes but there are not a lot of English players at Liverpool.

"I have mentioned that before when I was at Arsenal so I guess I have not had much luck with foreign managers.

"Last season I played 34 games and in a Champions' League final the previous year for Rafa but now he has had a change of plans.

"It is not for me to question the manager because he has done so well for Liverpool but it seems very strange to go from playing every week to training on my own on Saturday afternoons.

"But that is Rafa for you and I don't think half the players at Liverpool can work him out.

"I have been speaking to a lot of the other Liverpool players and they could not understand why I was not being selected, especially in the games at home where they have struggled to win.

"It was the same with Peter Crouch and he had to get away too because he was not being picked."

Pennant's stay at Fratton Park is likely to be a short one after the 26-year-old cleared the way for a summer move to Italian giants AC Milan.

"I have not personally spoken to either Milan or Real Madrid but my agent might have," he added. "We will see what happens at the end of the season."

I'm sure it was because Jermaine's English that Rafa wouldn't play him the F***ing gobs***e

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #336: Jan 23, 2009 11:19:44 pm
      Well by saying that he has just ended all slight possibilities that he may get a new deal. Its interesting because it was just a few days ago when he said he wanted to stay at the club and earn his place, but then he accepted the loan move and it proves that he was holding out for a free transfer so that we get no transfer fee for him and he will then therefore get higher wages.

Tosser
      Pass-and-move
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts | -7 
      Reply #337: Jan 23, 2009 11:50:26 pm
      Pennant never had the final ball or the ability to score goals to make it at a top 4 club first 11. If I'm honest though I would have kept him until June because he was at least an option of pace on the right wing as a sub which neither Kuyt nor Benayoun give. He obviously fell out with the manager because he was good enough to be a sub until June after paying nearly 7 million only 2 and a half years ago.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #338: Jan 24, 2009 11:58:38 am
      http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/01/24/jermaine-pennant-rafa-benitez-made-me-an-outcast-at-liverpool-fc-64375-22767371/

Jermaine Pennant: Rafa Benitez made me an outcast at Liverpool FC

JERMAINE PENNANT is looking forward to kicking off his Portsmouth career in today’s FA Cup clash with Swansea after claiming being English made it hard for him to win favour with Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez.

Pennant, 26, arrived at Pompey on a six-month loan deal after finding himself out in the cold at Anfield since October.
      Although he joined Arsenal for a ÂŁ2million fee from home-town club Notts County 10 years ago and became their youngest player in a competitive match at just over 16, he was rarely given a chance by manager Arsene Wenger.

Pennant had loan spells at Watford and Leeds before joining Birmingham who sold him to Liverpool for ÂŁ6million in 2005.
      He forced his way into a star-studded team and played in a Champions League final.

But this season, after coming back from a broken leg, Pennant made just three starts for the Reds - the last in a 1-0 win over Portsmouth in their new manager Tony Adams’ first match in charge - and claims he was a victim of manager Rafael Benitez’s preference for foreign talent.
      He said: “I don’t know what it is with me and Rafa. He knows I’ve got the ability and that I’m capable of playing in his team.

“But when you find yourself suddenly training on your own – when all the other boys are out there – and it’s just a couple of years after playing in a Champions League final, you’ve got to wonder where you are going.

“A lot of people at Liverpool told me they can’t understand why I’ve not even been given a sniff of a chance even on the bench, and I don’t know either because I played 34 games last season and suddenly I can’t get in.”

Pennant revealed he felt his career was “rotting away” in Liverpool’s reserves and that he simply had to review his options.

“I’ve come here to Portsmouth to do a job for them and when my contract is finished in July then the world’s my oyster,” he said.
      “I don’t think Liverpool will be watching or coming back for me.

“They can’t say anything to me really.
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ______________

Pennant decides to have his say. Odd comments though.
      LFC Feed
      • Automated News Feeder
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,782 posts | 19 
      [Sky] Pennant - Rafa confused me
      Reply #339: Jan 24, 2009 02:15:02 pm
      Pennant - Rafa confused me

Jermaine Pennant has revealed that half the players at Liverpool do not understand boss Rafael Benitez.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_4841242,00.html
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: [Sky] Pennant - Rafa confused me
      Reply #340: Jan 24, 2009 03:55:57 pm
      Well you confused us dick head >_< you were meant to be a "changed man" remember

I gave the feed +1 ::) he/she has done well to get 800 posts
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #341: Jan 24, 2009 05:22:42 pm

“I’ve come here to Portsmouth to do a job for them and when my contract is finished in July then the world’s my oyster,” he said.
      “I don’t think Liverpool will be watching or coming back for me.

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ______________
      Your dead right you tosser!! Nice debut.     :lmao:

wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #342: Jan 24, 2009 05:35:14 pm
      looks as though  bad karma is happening already pompey lost and they got booed off the pitch at half time against swansea
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #343: Jan 24, 2009 06:07:43 pm
      Thank god he has gone.  He's only been gone 5 minutes and he's come out with that already.

Well played today Pennant!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Š Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #344: Jan 24, 2009 06:10:13 pm

Seconded. Good riddance IMO, don't need any more bad press than we've already got.

Quick Reply