Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Caoimhin Kelleher Player Thread (GK)

Read 34412 times
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 981 posts | 192 
      Re: Caoimhin Kelleher Player Thread (GK)
      Reply #207: Feb 22, 2024 04:26:45 pm
      I'm surprised no one has commented on Kelleher's distribution, it was pretty woeful last night. I lost count of the number of hopeful, floated scoops straight down the middle of the pitch.

I am missing Ali.

Not sure we were ever gonna win many long balls/goals kicks with the team we had out anyway but he still should've had an assist if Diaz scores the first chance he got.

Missing Ali? Aren't we all!
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #208: Feb 22, 2024 04:35:07 pm
      I'm surprised no one has commented on Kelleher's distribution, it was pretty woeful last night. I lost count of the number of hopeful, floated scoops straight down the middle of the pitch.

I am missing Ali.

I think a few things are at play here. He is trying to play out from the back and not whollop it up top but when he gets any type of pressure he loses composure. Instead of boot it as far as he can he tries to keep possession by clipping it into a midfielder over the press but his accuracy wasn't there.
      Funnily enough his distribution is the least of my worries. I think his decision making is silly. He came to punch a few last night which is classis case of a keeper trying to do more than they should to get confidence, which isn't ideal. I know nothing bad came from it but the punches weren't convincing me.
      He also needs to stay with his weight forward and be brave when facing close shots. Again, because of what appears to be low confidence he is leaning back  towards the goal (trying to get every micro-second extra to react) and because of this instead of stopping the shot from Chong with his hands he falls back and half saves it with his feet. Look at how good alisson is at close range shots, how often does he take a shot to the chest because he is going straight at the ball with his core full of confidence.

I think he should have gone on loan 2 or 3 seasons ago and learnt this by playing every week. A lot of people have said he was the best young keeper they've trained with but goalkeeping is a lot about rythm, confidence and in game experience. I just worry the ship to gain experience is sailing. He is 25.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,388 posts | 787 
      Reply #209: Feb 22, 2024 04:45:12 pm
      I think a few things are at play here. He is trying to play out from the back and not whollop it up top but when he gets any type of pressure he loses composure. Instead of boot it as far as he can he tries to keep possession by clipping it into a midfielder over the press but his accuracy wasn't there.
      Funnily enough his distribution is the least of my worries. I think his decision making is silly. He came to punch a few last night which is classis case of a keeper trying to do more than they should to get confidence, which isn't ideal. I know nothing bad came from it but the punches weren't convincing me.
      He also needs to stay with his weight forward and be brave when facing close shots. Again, because of what appears to be low confidence he is leaning back  towards the goal (trying to get every micro-second extra to react) and because of this instead of stopping the shot from Chong with his hands he falls back and half saves it with his feet. Look at how good alisson is at close range shots, how often does he take a shot to the chest because he is going straight at the ball with his core full of confidence.

I think he should have gone on loan 2 or 3 seasons ago and learnt this by playing every week. A lot of people have said he was the best young keeper they've trained with but goalkeeping is a lot about rythm, confidence and in game experience. I just worry the ship to gain experience is sailing. He is 25.
      Overreaction: He played as well as was needed. Alisson let one between his legs a few weeks ago, not a criticism, just keeper errors are almost always punished.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #210: Feb 22, 2024 04:49:45 pm
      Overreaction: He played as well as was needed. Alisson let one between his legs a few weeks ago, not a criticism, just keeper errors are almost always punished.
      I am not overly fussed, He's gone in the summer anyway. Alisson let 1 through his legs because it deflected at speed 2 foot away from him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,333 posts | 8607 
      Reply #211: Feb 22, 2024 06:00:25 pm

I am missing Ali.

Yeah few murmurs in the first half about his kicking last night.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,113 posts | 3368 
      Reply #212: Feb 22, 2024 06:48:53 pm
      We've taken 15 points from the 15 available that Kelleher has started in the League.

4-1 v Luton
      4-1 v Brentford
      3-1 v Burnley
      2-0 v Sheff Utd
      4-3 v Fulham

There's people who'd love a record like that.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,388 posts | 787 
      Reply #213: Feb 22, 2024 09:05:07 pm
      We've taken 15 points from the 15 available that Kelleher has started in the League.

4-1 v Luton
      4-1 v Brentford
      3-1 v Burnley
      2-0 v Sheff Utd
      4-3 v Fulham

Me for one
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,039 posts | 537 
      Reply #214: Feb 22, 2024 11:51:06 pm
      Not great for the goal but rest of his game was good. Punching was good, was able to come thtough a crowd and still make good contact. Thought his distribution was fine as well.

Definitely dont agree that he loses composure with the ball at his feet. I feel he is better than Ali in this aspect. He doesnt give me the jitters when he takes a touch under pressure, whereas Ali sometimes does. (Ali obviously is the better shot stopper, but then he's a better shot stopper than any goalie in the world, certainly 1 on 1.)

He's got a good mentality as well. Got to be strong to step up and fill in for a keeper like Ali, lot of goalies would feel the pressure too much.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #215: Feb 23, 2024 05:52:32 am

I am missing Ali.

Yeah was wondering who he was kicking to half the time....like we weren't even in the picture!
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 981 posts | 192 
      Reply #216: Feb 23, 2024 10:19:45 am
      Pep - "I still remember his debut, Derby away"

It was actually MK Dons Pep but not far off!  :lmao:
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #217: Feb 23, 2024 01:40:05 pm

4-1 v Luton
      4-1 v Brentford
      3-1 v Burnley
      2-0 v Sheff Utd
      4-3 v Fulham

I fully agree, his record has been excellent and he made 2 man of the match saves last weekend. And to be honest i hadn't really noticed his distribution as an issue before, it's jus tthe last couple of games it's been off.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #218: Feb 25, 2024 07:48:28 pm
      2.28 xG prevented today. He was immense.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #219: Feb 25, 2024 08:07:07 pm
      He is brilliant keeper. Thanks for the Cup.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,039 posts | 537 
      Reply #220: Feb 25, 2024 08:21:09 pm
      Really hope we can hang onto him. To me he is Ali's natural replacement as well as a great backup. Obviously Ali is not exactly old so it is a big ask to ask him to keep playing backup but I'm hoping we can persuade him.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      Reply #221: Feb 26, 2024 02:26:52 am
      Unbelievable keeping to deny them and get us The Cup.

Hope he doesn't F**k off elsewhere, best Number 2 in the World.

Stay with us and hopefully, win everything on offer or go to some shitty club to be Number 1 and never be in the hunt for trophies. I know what I would do.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,333 posts | 8607 
      Reply #222: Feb 26, 2024 05:20:15 am
      Proper first team keeping from Kelleher yesterday, made the type of saves that you normally expect from Ali.

Definite 2nd behind the Skipper for motm
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #223: Feb 26, 2024 07:06:23 am
      Unbelievable keeping to deny them and get us The Cup.

Hope he doesn't F**k off elsewhere, best Number 2 in the World.

Stay with us and hopefully, win everything on offer or go to some shitty club to be Number 1 and never be in the hunt for trophies. I know what I would do.

Suspect if Celtic come calling he will go. Especially now Joe hart is retiring.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,698 posts | 3937 
      Reply #224: Feb 26, 2024 07:42:40 am
      That save is up there with Alisson Napoli, next level keeping!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      Reply #225: Feb 26, 2024 08:20:38 am

Na Bud, hopefuly not, small Club who will only most likely win their domestic cups and their Farmers League.

What's so ambitious about that?
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,594 posts | 1102 
      Reply #226: Feb 26, 2024 12:01:18 pm
      Na Bud, hopefuly not, small Club who will only most likely win their domestic cups and their Farmers League.

What's so ambitious about that?

I'd rather stay here and play the number of games he's playing than go up there and drop down the quality ladder massively.

If a prem team comes in then it's his decision. But he needs to think carefully. He's well paid no doubt and playing at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Its only down from here.

I'd maybe sanction a 2 year loan if Ali is committed here long term. Or if a prem team comes in and he wants to leave ... add a buy back clause in the deal.

He's too good to let go imo.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,144 posts | 3466 
      Reply #227: Feb 26, 2024 12:09:18 pm
      He will go to a Prem club in the summer

You don’t keep a GK that good as back up and he isn’t good enough to displace Ali who isn’t going anywhere for a while
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,309 posts | 768 
      Reply #228: Feb 26, 2024 12:18:48 pm

Do not think Celtic could afford his wages.

Agree he put in a great performance, against the chavs at Wembly yesterday.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #229: Feb 26, 2024 01:14:19 pm
      What a performance. The boy loves Wembley.

Quick Reply