Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 264146 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1472: Jul 24, 2017 05:30:37 pm
      Don't think there are many players in the squad that could not be improved upon; same time the players we have not are not sh*te either.

Heads have truly fallen off.

Sorry, but you don't try to move heaven and earth (and ride rollercoasters in Blackpool) to spend 60m on a CB if the one you have isn't too bad. We could easily improve upon Lovren spending far less. And yes, some of the players we have are sh*te. If they weren't, we'd have won the title or a cup or two.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1473: Jul 24, 2017 05:59:46 pm
      Sorry, but you don't try to move heaven and earth (and ride rollercoasters in Blackpool) to spend 60m on a CB if the one you have isn't too bad. We could easily improve upon Lovren spending far less. And yes, some of the players we have are sh*te. If they weren't, we'd have won the title or a cup or two.

OK FL....keep on keeping on man....you go ahead and sweat Club Brugge, Hoffenheim, Steaua Bucharest and Young Boys....I will say that if we could not beat those clubs with Matip and even Klaven or Gomez back there we don't belong in the first place and I trust the squad and the manager to deal with them.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Reply #1474: Jul 24, 2017 06:14:50 pm
      OK FL....keep on keeping on man....you go ahead and sweat Club Brugge, Hoffenheim, Steaua Bucharest and Young Boys....I will say that if we could not beat those clubs with Matip and even Klaven or Gomez back there we don't belong in the first place and I trust the squad and the manager to deal with them.

Yea, I mean I guess it's pretty silly to expect that we sign good players to improve our team and do it during the transfer window and also before we start our important stretch of games. What was I thinking?  :confused-smiley-013:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,445 posts | 3425 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1475: Jul 24, 2017 06:16:40 pm
      Is this what it's come to? We've gone from looking like signing a top class CB to people crying about grammar. Give your head a wobble or may as well just lock the topic now.

Grammar was good in cheers and frasier
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1476: Jul 24, 2017 06:17:26 pm
      The only posters I see here with near perfect English would be,  BBB and Stuey!!
      Leave me out of it you must.  :laugh:
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1477: Jul 24, 2017 06:18:41 pm
      Yea, I mean I guess it's pretty silly to expect that we sign good players to improve our team and do it during the transfer window and also before we start our important stretch of games. What was I thinking?  :confused-smiley-013:

Improving the squad was not the question...your moving the goal posts again.

You ok with Lovren playing in the CL qualifier? I'm not.

Do you believe we will be unable to qualify for the Champions league in the case that VVD does not come in time to start for the qualifier and Matip & Lovren need to start?

Matip and Lovren can handle City, Chelsea, Arsenal but can't handle Young Boys or Steau Bucherest?

Nobody said anything about not wanting to improve the team....your being a drama queen and not a very convincing one.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #1478: Jul 24, 2017 06:29:34 pm
      Then why are we looking for his replacement at 60-70m?

Should we replace Klopp too?.

Gets us to finals & replace him with one that actually wins one?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Reply #1479: Jul 24, 2017 06:31:06 pm
      Improving the squad was not the question...your moving the goal posts again.

No I'm not,  you are saying that it doesn't matter when we get VVD because Lovren is good enough. I dispute Lovren is good enough or Klopp wouldn't want to replace him and it does matter when we get him. He doesn't just want to replace him for the so called "important" games as you are clumsily trying to imply, he wants him for ALL of our games (including the very important qualifiers).

Do you believe we will be unable to qualify for the Champions league in the case that VVD does not come in time to start for the qualifier and Matip & Lovren need to start?
      I believe that we should be able to qualify, but you never know what might happen and the stakes are much too high to rely on a player (Lovren) that's shown a propensity to make boneheaded plays JUST as much as he's shown a propensity to make good ones.

Matip and Lovren can handle City, Chelsea, Arsenal but can't handle Young Boys or Steau Bucherest?
      Who knows whether they can or can't, but I'd bet every single person (you included) would rate our odds better with Matip and VVD than Matip and Lovren. What's that tell you? 

Nobody said anything about not wanting to improve the team....your being a drama queen and not a very convincing one.
      By saying that we will be ok without VVD you yourself are implying that he's not THAT important to us. As far as a drama queen goes....that would  certainly be something you'd know about what with always getting yourself in a tizzy when someone questions FSG, Klopp or anyone else associated with the club. I know....we should  all just close our eyes, blindly chant Jürgen's name and let him handle it right? No use in discussing what's going on so let's all logoff and meditate brah!!

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Reply #1480: Jul 24, 2017 06:32:29 pm
      Should we replace Klopp too?.

Gets us to finals & replace him with one that actually wins one?

Rafa?

I don't know that FSG are agitating to replace Jürgen, but I'm pretty sure Jürgen is agitating to replace Lovren, so maybe take it up with him if you think Lovren is good enough? 
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,654 posts | 3922 
      Reply #1481: Jul 24, 2017 06:32:37 pm
      We signing this guy or what FFS
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1482: Jul 24, 2017 06:34:31 pm
      This and Keita deals look all but dead to me.

If thats the case will it be 'we tried'? Will we go to the next name down the list? Or will we go to the bargain bin?

Being honest the 'we'll get them cheaper next transfer window' line has never convinced me and history points to that being total bollocks.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1483: Jul 24, 2017 06:42:08 pm
      By saying that we will be ok without VVD you yourself are implying that he's not THAT important to us. As far as a drama queen goes....that would  certainly be something you'd know about what with always getting yourself in a tizzy when someone questions FSG, Klopp or anyone else associated with the club. I know....we should  all just close our eyes, blindly chant Jürgen's name and let him handle it right? No use in discussing what's going on so let's all logoff and meditate brah!!

If it takes to the end of the window Yes I am OK with VVD not starting the first 3-4 matches including the qualifier.

I am OK with the CB pairing that got us into the CL to play in the qualifier.

Do I want VVD now? Yup
      Am I OK if the deal gets done on the final day of the window?  Yup
      Do I think we need a player like VVD and others to improve the squad?  Yup

I know....we should  all just close our eyes, blindly chant Jürgen's name and let him handle it right?

I trust him to handle it more than anyone on this board yourself included; If I can't have a little faith in the gaffer to get things done right then what's the point of even supporting?

No use in discussing what's going on so let's all logoff and meditate brah!!

Thought that is why we are posting but evidently you consider your opinions as superior so why bother ..lets just blindly chant FL...FL... 

If we end up getting him even on the last day it would be better than the idea you had last several weeks which was to just move on it's over it's done.

« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2017 07:14:15 pm by AZPatriot »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1484: Jul 24, 2017 06:57:59 pm
      Well I think Steven Caulkers been released by QPR so maybe all is not lost after all.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #1485: Jul 24, 2017 07:19:18 pm
      Well I think Steven Caulkers been released by QPR so maybe all is not lost after all.

Cover for Sturridge or Ings??
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1486: Jul 24, 2017 07:51:52 pm

Players like Robertson and Salah you mean?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Reply #1487: Jul 24, 2017 08:10:37 pm

So you are happy if we don't sign anyone else?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1488: Jul 24, 2017 09:16:41 pm

Robertson will need to improve to cut it here. He is a very raw and rash full back, he will give a fair few pens away in his early career with us.

Players like that will learn over time but for him to be a league winner we need better around him.

He is a signing that nobody else of the top 6 would have seriously considered, but yep he could develop with us. I wouldn't class that as a signing with intent on challenging the big boys though who have gone and spent big money in every position they wanted filling so far.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,976 posts | 3059 
      Reply #1489: Jul 24, 2017 09:48:55 pm
      Robertson will need to improve to cut it here. He is a very raw and rash full back, he will give a fair few pens away in his early career with us.

Players like that will learn over time but for him to be a league winner we need better around him.

He is a signing that nobody else of the top 6 would have seriously considered, but yep he could develop with us. I wouldn't class that as a signing with intent on challenging the big boys though who have gone and spent big money in every position they wanted filling so far.

Disagree wholeheartedly mate.

Yes he can and will improve. But I had him in top couple left backs in the league the last 2 seasons.

Time will tell but he's 100% a signing that reeks of ambition for me. At least on the part of the boss.

Will prove a better player than Walker or Keane by comparison.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1490: Jul 24, 2017 09:54:33 pm
      But I had him in top couple left backs in the league the last 2 seasons.

Erm, 2 seasons ago they were in the Championship?
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #1491: Jul 24, 2017 10:20:20 pm
      Disagree wholeheartedly mate.

Yes he can and will improve. But I had him in top couple left backs in the league the last 2 seasons.

Time will tell but he's 100% a signing that reeks of ambition for me. At least on the part of the boss.

Will prove a better player than Walker or Keane by comparison.

Not sure about "reeks of ambitions" mate. I don't think anyone else was in for him and we paid peanuts for the lad. Players like him we should have no issue signing whatsoever. If he turns out to be amazing (which I truly hope he will), then kudos to Jürgen and the scouting team. But let's not try to make it sound like he's David Alaba here.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1492: Jul 24, 2017 10:23:18 pm
      Robertson is nowhere near first team quality. I doubted him at first, then after doing some research found he is actually what I feared which is a bargain bin signing. He is better than hull, but is not good enough for a top 6 side and there is not a lot of chance he will be. We will probably profit from him though. Robertson is a business signing. I expect he will go for 20m in a few season when the bottom of the barrel becomes 20m with inflation.
      « Last Edit: Jul 24, 2017 10:28:18 pm by Ribapuru »
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1493: Jul 24, 2017 10:31:51 pm
      I doubted him at first, then after doing some research found he is actually what I feared which is a bargain bin signing.

« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2017 10:46:59 pm by AZPatriot »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,976 posts | 3059 
      Reply #1494: Jul 24, 2017 10:32:29 pm
      Not sure about "reeks of ambitions" mate. I don't think anyone else was in for him and we paid peanuts for the lad. Players like him we should have no issue signing whatsoever. If he turns out to be amazing (which I truly hope he will), then kudos to Jürgen and the scouting team. But let's not try to make it sound like he's David Alaba here.

I'm not. You did to try to make a point - which I happen to disagree with......as per previous "wholeheartedly" ;)

8 premier league clubs were in for him fella......and 2 from clubs in leading European leagues.......that's been widely reported.

I get bored with the scepticism because he isn't English or coming from a major club. I fervently believe there should be a place for grabbing the best kids coming through......which we have.

Either way I'm sure we'll both be happier if I prove to be right :)

Quick Reply