Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 264726 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #2553: Aug 30, 2017 05:24:53 pm
      If he's ours, then why hasn't he been lining up alongside Matip?  Why wait until deadline day to announce a deal that has been done this whole time?  Makes no sense....

Soton might have something to say about it....the fact that not one other club has even submitted a bid tells you something is going on....either he is coming here or he is not going anywhere....really the only two options here.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,368 posts | 6400 
      Reply #2554: Aug 30, 2017 05:38:56 pm
      Just throwing this out there as I've thought about this whole affair. Could we because of the hand slap that Soton threatened earlier in the window be waiting until we get our other business done so that if we then go for VVD and they report us....it won't affect any other signings? So basically. We've already signed everyone but VVD, we try to sign him, Soton get testy and try to report us and we end up with a transfer embargo. I'm assuming the players already signed at that point wouldn't be affected?

Maybe it's a goofy idea, but there's got to be some reason we are so afraid to bid if Klopp wants him so badly. 
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1479 
      Reply #2555: Aug 30, 2017 05:42:06 pm
      Had to look at the thread topic there - was going to comment on Coutinho's antics.

We all do. I'm doing it as well. :) I guess we're all just going from VVD to Coutinho to Lemar's thread.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #2556: Aug 30, 2017 06:00:54 pm
      I don't think we are interested in defenders. All want to do is score shitload of goals and let Lovren have some fun.I love LFC!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2557: Aug 30, 2017 06:08:38 pm
      So much for him being in Liverpool, was training by himself in Southampton today.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2558: Aug 30, 2017 06:11:19 pm

This is the deal that we really want to see done, but it doesn't look on the horizon. I've a feeling City or Chelsea will sign him tomorrow.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2559: Aug 30, 2017 06:16:52 pm
      This is the deal that we really want to see done, but it doesn't look on the horizon. I've a feeling City or Chelsea will sign him tomorrow.

Think they would have done it already if he was A) Available to go or (B) Wanted to go there.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,368 posts | 6400 
      Reply #2560: Aug 30, 2017 06:28:47 pm

I don't think anyone will sign him. I think Soton will be happy to keep him figuring once the window's closed, he'll come back and play a key part for them.

Now...had we thrown a huge bid their way.......it might have at least made them think about  it. Guess we may never know. This is the one signing we needed probably more than any other.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #2561: Aug 30, 2017 06:36:58 pm
      I don't think anyone will sign him. I think Soton will be happy to keep him figuring once the window's closed, he'll come back and play a key part for them.

Now...had we thrown a huge bid their way.......it might have at least made them think about  it. Guess we may never know. This is the one signing we needed probably more than any other.

Makes you wonder though -- was it really VVD or no-one?  Surely there are plenty of other CB's out there who are better than Dejan....  Then, consider the number of games we had to use Lucas at CB last season, and he's gone.  We have more games (presumably) with CL footie this season, and fewer players with senior level experience at this position.  Gomez looks like he's got the potential, but he's F***ing 20 years old.  I really hope this (our decision to not sign a new CB) doesn't come back to bite us in the ass.....
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,368 posts | 6400 
      Reply #2562: Aug 30, 2017 06:39:45 pm
      Makes you wonder though -- was it really VVD or no-one?  Surely there are plenty of other CB's out there who are better than Dejan....  Then, consider the number of games we had to use Lucas at CB last season, and he's gone.  We have more games (presumably) with CL footie this season, and fewer players with senior level experience at this position.  Gomez looks like he's got the potential, but he's f**king 20 years old.  I really hope this (our decision to not sign a new CB) doesn't come back to bite us in the ass.....

I'd have no issue with Gomez in cup games...but yea, I think we are playing with fire if we go into Champion's League and Premier League games with just Lovren and Klavan as our 2 and 3. I know I'm mad, but I actually rate Klavan higher than Lovren.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #2563: Aug 30, 2017 06:44:58 pm
      I actually rate Klavan higher than Lovren.

Same....
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 734 posts | 113 
      Reply #2564: Aug 30, 2017 06:46:55 pm
      It must have been your post that I read last week, then cos it was perfectly analysed.

Players of that ilk when you cannot find rock solid quick and composed defenders, do not come around every 5 minutes. There should be bids flying around. If posters cite the fact that clubs may be put off by the expected price then I call bullshit on that cos when has that stopped clubs before?!

Bids should be flying around. He's ours, guys. Soothsayer, out..................... ...

Until he's unveiled wearing the shirt he's still Southampton's player ... it does make me wonder though why there is a bidding war between Man City and Arsenal for Johnny Evans and not a whiff of interest from either of them for this guy. Have we massively overstated how good he is? Lovren had exactly the same reputation when he was at Southampton too!
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2565: Aug 30, 2017 06:49:05 pm
      Think they would have done it already if he was A) Available to go or (B) Wanted to go there.

I believe City would be willing to pay crazy money, they seriously need a CB, Chelsea must be a big lure to any player.

Desperation time for clubs that really need a certain type of player!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #2566: Aug 30, 2017 07:03:59 pm
      It's too quiet

Much too quiet
      rossyred

• 9,303 posts | 1668 
      Reply #2567: Aug 30, 2017 07:50:50 pm
      Last minute Bid by someone giving us no time to react but then he would still have to agree ?
      luckofirish8
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 454 posts | 20 
      Reply #2568: Aug 30, 2017 08:31:55 pm
      Last minute Bid by someone giving us no time to react but then he would still have to agree ?

I thought about this too, but his agent should sniff that out surely.
      Don77

• 6,591 posts | 1100 
      Reply #2569: Aug 30, 2017 08:33:54 pm
      It could happen ... but you would think that Liverpool would be ready for that ...

I reakon they might try and sell him abroad on friday if the european window shuts on friday?
      Kopite78
      Reply #2570: Aug 30, 2017 08:35:23 pm
      It could happen ... but you would think that Liverpool would be ready for that ...

I reakon they might try and sell him abroad on friday if the european window shuts on friday?

They won't get the  same figure abroad as they would domestically.

No business cuts off their nose to spite their face to the tune of £20m

They either force him to stay tomorrow or he goes to us/City/Chelsea

For me it's probably Chelsea if not us as they need one plus they will want to get one back on us and publically get that out there after Chamberlain turned them down for us
      « Last Edit: Aug 30, 2017 08:56:18 pm by Kopite78 »
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #2571: Aug 30, 2017 08:54:16 pm
      This doesn't look like it's even going to result in a single bid.

Pretty amazing really.
      rossyred

• 9,303 posts | 1668 
      Reply #2572: Aug 30, 2017 09:32:08 pm
      Surely Arsenal will bid for him they more than anyone need a commanding CB. Going to be very interesting hold on tight !!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2573: Aug 30, 2017 09:45:03 pm
      Surely Arsenal will bid for him they more than anyone need a commanding CB. Going to be very interesting hold on tight !!

Yes and players are falling over themselves to go to Arsenal!
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,177 posts | 526 
      Reply #2574: Aug 30, 2017 10:30:31 pm
      Despite who we have bought, might buy etc etc, would really love this one to happen. No point scoring a bucketful  of goals, if every time the opposition attack we sh*t ourselves on what might happen.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2575: Aug 30, 2017 10:33:10 pm
      Despite who we have bought, might buy etc etc, would really love this one to happen. No point scoring a bucketful  of goals, if every time the opposition attack we sh*t ourselves on what might happen.

Get what you're saying but we have kept two clean sheets in three league games..

Think at times people believe the hype and think it's worse than it is

Quick Reply