Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 267387 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #575: Jun 06, 2017 01:37:31 pm
      He just needs to put a transfer request in.

But in the mean time...

That's how I feel every transfer window, when normally sensible people suddenly start believing every link in every media outlet.

It's simple enough for me; I believe we've signed someone when I see them leaning on stuff at Melwood.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #576: Jun 06, 2017 02:08:20 pm
      That's how I feel every transfer window, when normally sensible people suddenly start believing every link in every media outlet.

It's simple enough for me; I believe we've signed someone when I see them leaning on stuff at Melwood.

Me too, I can't understand why folks get all tangled up in the transfer thread, I'll only get excited once player X is holding the scarf up in front of the media on the Anfield pitch..
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #577: Jun 06, 2017 02:49:45 pm
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,240 posts | 850 
      Reply #578: Jun 06, 2017 02:52:36 pm
      Same stuff happened with Clyne

It's a ploy

He will be a liverpool player and it's only a matter of time.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #579: Jun 06, 2017 02:54:26 pm
      We have the worst transfer policy and scouts i swear to god. Southampton must be sick of the sight of us

Yeah.... absolutely sick.

I mean just how much have we spent on their players in the past few seasons.

Clyne £8m
      Mane £35m
      Lovren £20m
      Lallana £25m
      Van Dijk £50m+
      Lambert £4m

£144m at least. We could, quite conceivably have bought the entire club for close to that. I'm not sure how much of that is profit but I'd guess close to 80%.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2862 
      Reply #580: Jun 06, 2017 02:54:27 pm
      Real transfers aren't like Football Manager or something where you agree a fee and then dish out a contract to the player. Why would we bother negotiating with Southampton if Van Dijk had no interest in joining us? It happens in every major transfer - initial groundwork done before the bids come in.

Southampton are just acting tough in a bid to please their fans. I remember them wanting to kick off about Alderwiereld joining Spurs but F**k all happened there.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #581: Jun 06, 2017 03:03:16 pm
      I can't imagine we've done anything different than we did with Lallana, Lambert, Lovren, or Clyne.  To me, this seems like an attempt to placate their fans and drive the cost up....
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #582: Jun 06, 2017 03:10:03 pm

Clyne £8m
      Mane £35m
      Lovren £20m
      Lallana £25m
      Van Dijk £50m+
      Lambert £4m

£144m at least. We could, quite conceivably have bought the entire club for close to that. I'm not sure how much of that is profit but I'd guess close to 80%.

It's (apparently) 10 times what the club was bought for.
      They must love LFC.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 491 
      Reply #583: Jun 06, 2017 03:38:17 pm
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5032 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #584: Jun 06, 2017 03:47:28 pm

Clyne £8m
      Mane £35m
      Lovren £20m
      Lallana £25m
      Van Dijk £50m+
      Lambert £4m

f***in bawbags that's a Pogba and Zlatan deal right there,  wtf was pubic Ayre thinking,  :f_whistle:

YNWA
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #585: Jun 06, 2017 04:34:34 pm
      Can we dismantle our scouting department? Appears to be on a free lunch year in yeAr out. The VVDs , Salahs and what nots f this world do not require a scouting department at all to identify as targets. The days of our scouts going to the Scunthorpes, Chesters etc to unearth gems are long gone. If I'm FSG I'd set-up an effective scouting dept just to identify targets from the lower league, I'm sure there're plenty there.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #586: Jun 06, 2017 04:42:40 pm
      Can we dismantle our scouting department? Appears to be on a free lunch year in yeAr out. The VVDs , Salahs and what nots f this world do not require a scouting department at all to identify as targets. The days of our scouts going to the Scunthorpes, Chesters etc to unearth gems are long gone. If I'm FSG I'd set-up an effective scouting dept just to identify targets from the lower league, I'm sure there're plenty there.

We have a scouting department ???
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #587: Jun 06, 2017 05:21:18 pm

Here is the issue..whether it be Van Djik and celtic or Salah before he went to Chelsea....if all we ever did was buy up and coming youngsters the supporters would sh*t themselves daily.

For every Salah or VVD there are 50 others that don't come close...they have to go to teams where they can get games and improve their play...its not a matter of a lazy scouting department its a matter of players don't have the luxury of time with a club like Liverpool that they would have at a Soton or even a club like Dortmund.

You are paying more now to get a more polished and prepared player.....Markovic, Alberto, Aspas, etc..etc...those are the chances you take when you try and develop 20 year olds......I would rather pay more myself and get the 24-25 year old that is more of a sure thing.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #588: Jun 06, 2017 05:33:42 pm
      I'm sure if anybody was doing things wrong it would have more likely been City, trying to throw some back handers to try and get VVD to want to go there.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #589: Jun 06, 2017 06:28:40 pm
      You'd think a bid would have followed on pretty quickly after all the press on this yesterday would you not? It's never ideal to put the selling club's nose out of joint when you want their best player. This one feels like it might go the same way as the Lallana deal. It all looks a bit amateur from here.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #590: Jun 06, 2017 06:41:03 pm
      Didn't they try the same thing with Clyne?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #591: Jun 06, 2017 06:47:13 pm
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4596209.stm

Chelsea had 3 points deducted and fined 300k , Cole 100k and Mourinho 200k fine for secretly meeting. Would a phone call to VVD from Klopp be considered a secret meeting and tapping up? :O
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Reply #592: Jun 06, 2017 06:56:41 pm
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4596209.stm

Chelsea had 3 points deducted and fined 300k , Cole 100k and Mourinho 200k fine for secretly meeting. Would a phone call to VVD from Klopp be considered a secret meeting and tapping up? :O

If you look at the quotes from Saints "they want the FA to look into if we have breached any procedure" so in effect they don't even know!
      I would imagine it's the media stories yesterday claiming VVD was impressed by Klopp which has upset the club and in turns makes it seem like Klopp was actively tapping up the player.

It's a done deal either way, they can play hardball but ultimately the player wants to come to us and we want him.

Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #593: Jun 06, 2017 07:21:43 pm
      If you look at the quotes from Saints "they want the FA to look into if we have breached any procedure" so in effect they don't even know!
      I would imagine it's the media stories yesterday claiming VVD was impressed by Klopp which has upset the club and in turns makes it seem like Klopp was actively tapping up the player.

It's a done deal either way, they can play hardball but ultimately the player wants to come to us and we want him.

I dunno mate, if the club see it like I'd say that's a bit arrogant. If it's acrimonious (and this looks the case now) then the likelihood is that the deal takes longer and the selling club really dig their heels in. The longer it takes the more chance there is that another club comes to the table and gets the player. The lad might want to come to LFC BUT if it drags on and Saints are more willing to sell to another club you can bet he'll be happy enough to go to Chelsea or City. They got him signed up for another 5 years and the Saints fans already frickin hate us (I should know I live down here!) so I've got no doubt that Les Reed would probably prefer that Liverpool isn't his next destination coz it's bad PR.

We should show a bit of class in our dealings. How pissed off do we get when Madrid or Barca start their little charm offensives in the media, tapping up our players on international duty, drip feeding stuff into the press etc.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #594: Jun 06, 2017 09:10:06 pm
      Mirror are saying Klopp was contacting Van Djik and not Southampton FC. If true that is shockingly bad. If false Mirror wants putting in the bin with the S*n.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #595: Jun 06, 2017 09:20:37 pm
      Story also said vvv met with other interested clubs and then the leaders of all the middle east to seek world peace
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #596: Jun 06, 2017 09:23:05 pm
      Mirror are saying Klopp was contacting Van Djik and not Southampton FC. If true that is shockingly bad. If false Mirror wants putting in the bin with the S*n.

Hmmm. I don't know if the Mirror creating a story about Klopp contacting another player is quite on the same level as saying Liverpool supporters pissed on and pickpocketed dead Liverpool fans.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #597: Jun 06, 2017 09:31:07 pm

Not saying it's not true but that guy from the Mirror is always talking sh*t. sh*t like this happens all the time though and no doubt Southampton managers have done it in the past. They're trying to take the moral high ground where one doesn't exist.

Quick Reply