Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 272332 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1863: Aug 08, 2017 11:19:39 am
      We sold Suarez to buy Moreno, Lovren, Lallana, Balotelli, Lambert, Markovic.

Nah, we used the money from the sale after Suarez forced a move.
      He was still our player when he agreed terms with Barca.
      He spent 2 years trying to engineer a move, first to Arsenal when we had to go to arbitration because we wouldn't honour his "release clause", and then the following season when Barca came sniffing.
      Coincidentally, he has an awesome record of biting an opposition player just before getting the move he wanted.

Stop trying to re-write history, and face the fact that Suarez wanted out for 2 years before he finally forced a move.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #1864: Aug 08, 2017 11:26:29 am
      Nah, we used the money from the sale after Suarez forced a move.
      He was still our player when he agreed terms with Barca.
      He spent 2 years trying to engineer a move, first to Arsenal when we had to go to arbitration because we wouldn't honour his "release clause", and then the following season when Barca came sniffing.
      Coincidentally, he has an awesome record of biting an opposition player just before getting the move he wanted.

Stop trying to re-write history, and face the fact that Suarez wanted out for 2 years before he finally forced a move.

Yeah and why did Luis want to join F***ing Arsenal of all clubs? We're a bigger club than them.

Why did Torres want out? Sterling? Both joined PL rivals.

Because we aren't competitive maybe? Because FSG won't sign world class talent? Because they won't pay top wages for top players?

180m on three players there, where the F**k has that gone?

Positive net spends despite the huge amounts of money coming into the club from TV deals etc.

Fans actually defending this atrocious policy.

Its a F***ing joke.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,437 posts | 6428 
      Reply #1865: Aug 08, 2017 11:26:39 am
      No you are so right because I'm sure Edwards has never ever done a deal in his previous role in EA!!!! and I'm also sure he doesn't have any advisors with him!! Bloody hell some of the crap being spoken on this forum lately, its quite staggering especially when they are holding Ian Ayre up as some kind of pinnacle of negotiating skill!!

Think you have Edwards confused with Peter Moore. Don't believe Edwards worked for EA.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1866: Aug 08, 2017 11:31:57 am
      Yeah and why did Luis want to join F***ing Arsenal of all clubs? We're a bigger club than them.

Why did Torres want out? Sterling? Both joined PL rivals.

Because we aren't competitive maybe? Because FSG won't sign world class talent? Because they won't pay top wages for top players?

180m on three players there, where the F**k has that gone?

Positive net spends despite the huge amounts of money coming into the club from TV deals etc.

Fans actually defending this atrocious policy.

Its a F***ing joke.

We were never anything more than a stepping stone for Suarez while he made his way to Barca, and you and others need to get used to the idea that he used us (just as we use players when it suits us). He was also one of the highest paid players in the league, as was Torres.
      Torres was promised a load of sh*te by Purslow (you know, the fella FSG sacked), and subsequently had a hissy fit, basically downed tools and then put in a transfer request. But even though FSG had just come in, I suppose that's their fault as well.
      Sterling went to city for money, after his Mum and agent spent a year bending his ear and planting stories in the press. He was also on a good wedge.

Stop talking sh*te fella.
      Players come, players go, that's football for you.

You're trying to make out we sold these players against their will.
      We didn't.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,559 posts | 1547 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1867: Aug 08, 2017 11:36:45 am
      Those that grew up watching Dalglish and Co. know we are bigger than most clubs

Those that grew up not watching them, know we aren't.

That's just how it is. Perspective

Good news is there's not much stopping us climbing back to the pinnacle if we can land players like VVD, and Keita, and hold on to players like Couts.

Depressing isn't it.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #1868: Aug 08, 2017 11:40:47 am
      We were never anything more than a stepping stone for Suarez while he made his way to Barca, and you and others need to get used to the idea that he used us (just as we use players when it suits us). He was also one of the highest paid players in the league, as was Torres.
      Torres was promised a load of sh*te by Purslow (you know, the fella FSG sacked), and subsequently had a hissy fit, basically downed tools and then put in a transfer request. But even though FSG had just come in, I suppose that's their fault as well.
      Sterling went to city for money, after his Mum and agent spent a year bending his ear and planting stories in the press. He was also on a good wedge.

Stop talking sh*te fella.
      Players come, players go, that's football for you.

We didn't.

Your the only person talking sh*te here.

How where we a stepping stone for Suarez? When we signed him he wasn't a huge name. He wanted to sign for Arsenal who are a much smaller club than us and had he got his move he could still be there now tied in a contract.

I'm not saying we forced any of them out against their wishes at all. I'm saying FSG did absolutely F**k all to keep them.

Sell Torres to being in Suarez and Carroll. Why not just keep Torres, bring in Suarez and F**k Carroll right off? What could have been. Did Torres want to leave? Yeah. But our owners should have done absolutely everything possible to keep hold of him and persuade him to stay, convince him to stay, match his ambition.

Same with sterling.

No player should ever hold the club to ransom but it's no coincidence we keep losing our best players. Coutinho is likely to follow.

And we spend when we sell. How do you not see that?

What is the net spend since Klopp has been here?

What is the net spend since FSG have been here?

Bore off lad and wake up.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,338 posts | 2837 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1869: Aug 08, 2017 11:41:23 am
      We didn't.

He's doing no such thing, he's basically pointing out that unless we are a truly competitive side, then the best players will always want to leave.

And then pretending we're the victims because players are "forcing" moves out of the club just won't work for very long - you know, the usual tactics of saying they're mercenaries or that their wives wanted to live somewhere else and we're just the hopeless victims of fate.

It's the club's failure to compete that creates this vicious cycle.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,297 posts | 940 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1870: Aug 08, 2017 11:42:17 am

Good news is there's not much stopping us climbing back to the pinnacle if we can land players like VVD, and Keita, and hold on to players like Couts.

Depressing isn't it.

Very...... but true
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1871: Aug 08, 2017 11:48:50 am

Depressing isn't it.

A big part of the problem is the fact we kept changing managers.
      Hodgson bought dross, got sacked after fans were in uproar over some of his comments (but hang on, FSG don't listen to the fans, do they?)
      KK was called to Boston after promising a top 4 finish, and told them "back me or sack me", and we know how that ended. KK also spent a summer chasing Charlie Adam, and brought in Carroll. More money wasted and players moved on.
      BR brought in some good, some bad, but ultimately failed because he wasn't quite up to the job, brought in some good players, also some bad.
      Klopp has moved a few on, brought in some quality, has shifted out those he doesn't want, and is hopefully here for the long term.

Every time a new manager comes in, they want to shift some players out and keep the ones they like, which doesn't create a stable environment.
      All you have to do is look up the road, and see what's happened at united since ferguson left; absolute chaos.

There's another couple of issues here in that British managers don't or won't work with a DoF, which means that every time a club changes manager there is a period of instability while the new manager changes things around.
      Add to that the curious mentality of British managers where if money is available they feel they have to spend it, and you get signings like Balotelli.

Hopefully Klopp can change things and we'll see the fruits of management stability, and proper team building.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1872: Aug 08, 2017 11:52:17 am
      We sold Suarez to buy Moreno, Lovren, Lallana, Balotelli, Lambert, Markovic.

He's doing no such thing, he's basically pointing out that unless we are a truly competitive side, then the best players will always want to leave.

And then pretending we're the victims because players are "forcing" moves out of the club just won't work for very long - you know, the usual tactics of saying they're mercenaries or that their wives wanted to live somewhere else and we're just the hopeless victims of fate.

It's the club's failure to compete that creates this vicious cycle.

Yeah, he's not saying that at all  :roll:

Anyone who was here knows how Suarez forced his move, and Torres, and Sterling.
      Pretending that it was any different is simply bullshitting.

There are problems that need to be overcome, one important component is management stability, which we hopefully have now.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1873: Aug 08, 2017 11:54:21 am
      I swear swab could have an argument in an empty room :D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,230 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1874: Aug 08, 2017 11:55:29 am

What he wrote is true though.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1875: Aug 08, 2017 11:56:16 am

It's not an argument, it's just a different opinion.

Just like any other bugger on here, I'll defend my opinion.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1876: Aug 08, 2017 11:56:59 am

Its not always what you say, its how you say it ;)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1877: Aug 08, 2017 11:59:04 am
      It's not an argument, it's just a different opinion.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1878: Aug 08, 2017 12:00:55 pm

I write like I speak is all.
      I'm blunt in person, and that's how I write.

It doesn't mean anything other than I'm not great with electronic communication.
      I've had the same problem for years with emails.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1879: Aug 08, 2017 12:06:10 pm
      I write like I speak is all.
      I'm blunt in person, and that's how I write.

It doesn't mean anything other than I'm not great with electronic communication.

You just come across as very aggressive at times, people tend to rise to it, i'm not complaining i get a laugh out of it, fiery debates are good debates, the passion comes out.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,338 posts | 2837 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1880: Aug 08, 2017 12:07:37 pm
      Yeah, he's not saying that at all  :roll:

Anyone who was here knows how Suarez forced his move, and Torres, and Sterling.
      Pretending that it was any different is simply bullshitting.

There are problems that need to be overcome, one important component is management stability, which we hopefully have now.

I don't think he means by that that we sold Suarez against his will, but rather that we used the funds from his sale to finance other players purchases, which is true. Our net spend is low compared to most of our competitors.

The main point for me is this - why do this story keep repeating itself?

Because we aren't competitive maybe?

I know it's not difficult to convince yourself that the club is not at fault, and the players are always a bunch of greedy bas**rds, but the fact is this will keep repeating itself unless we become regular competitors at the top. And in order to do so we need to stop the tide and turn things around. Hopefully Coutinho will stay and Klopp will do just that, but unless we sign more players before the end of the month, I won't be overly confident.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1881: Aug 08, 2017 12:09:52 pm
      You just come across as very aggressive at times, people tend to rise to it, i'm not complaining i get a laugh out of it, fiery debates are good debates, the passion comes out.

I'm as calm as can be  :laugh:
      It's just how I write; old dog new tricks, can't help it.

Etiquette in electronic communication passed me by, but there's no aggression on my part, even if it does look that way.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,535 posts | 3470 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1882: Aug 08, 2017 12:14:55 pm
      Think you have Edwards confused with Peter Moore. Don't believe Edwards worked for EA.

Probably had problems signing players on fifa
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #1883: Aug 08, 2017 12:15:16 pm

I'm not great with electronic communication.

Swab mate - I've just realised you're my boss.

I'll bring a cuppa in your office in 5 mins ;)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1884: Aug 08, 2017 12:19:49 pm
      I don't think he means by that that we sold Suarez against his will, but rather that we used the funds from his sale to finance other players purchases, which is true. Our net spend is low compared to most of our competitors.

The main point for me is this - why do this story keep repeating itself?

I know it's not difficult to convince yourself that the club is not at fault, and the players are always a bunch of greedy bas**rds, but the fact is this will keep repeating itself unless we become regular competitors at the top. And in order to do so we need to stop the tide and turn things around. Hopefully Coutinho will stay and Klopp will do just that, but unless we sign more players before the end of the month, I won't be overly confident.

No offense Diego, but he said it (we sold Suarez to buy players) so he can either backtrack or explain himself.
      It's a common theme here that we allegedly sell to buy, but when you look at things, that's simply not the case.
      Do we use the money after players have been sold to buy other players?
      Absolutely, it'd be madness not to, but to suggest we have a sell to buy policy is simply wrong imo.

Take a look at the couple of posts I've made about management continuity.
      Every time we've changed managers, we've had another "rebuilding" job as the new manager tries to shape the team in his own way.
      for example, united have all the money in the world, spend huge amounts and yet have been in chaos since ferguson left.
      The reason is a lack of continuity. (or one of them)
      I can't stress enough how important continuity is, or call it a settled manager and squad, or whatever, but the point remains the same.

It's one of the reasons a change in manager at European clubs doesn't have the same impact; they have a DoF or similar (names differ but the job remains the same) to keep driving the club vision.
      What we call a manager is simply a coach in Europe, and they are as changeable as players, because the vision is not being driven by them.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1885: Aug 08, 2017 12:21:08 pm
      Swab mate - I've just realised you're my boss.

I'll bring a cuppa in your office in 5 mins ;)

2 sugars but don't tell the mrs.

Quick Reply