Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 266517 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,474 posts | 4594 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #2461: Aug 29, 2017 02:46:30 pm
      Honestly mate, I have no idea, but it's exciting isn't it!?!?! :D

;D

I'm loving transfer day recently ;D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #2462: Aug 29, 2017 02:48:20 pm
      Honestly mate, I have no idea, but it's exciting isn't it!?!?! :D

It certainly is.

As my old man would've said "I'm literally beside myself - but that's schizophrenia for you....."

#70sDadjokes 😉
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2463: Aug 29, 2017 03:03:30 pm
      https://twitter.com/Kloppholic/status/902526438028521472

Oh this is giving me a proper chuckle this:

https://twitter.com/NotoriousP_A_D/status/902530451671326720

Gotta love Liverpool!

Tra la la la la
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #2464: Aug 29, 2017 03:19:28 pm
      But... we already have them "wheels" and it makes no odds Scotia. Surely, if it did, we could press higher right now if it did? 🤔

Remember; "sh*te" and all as he is, at the aul defending malarkey, truth is; Dejan is comfortable on the ball and he's no slouch speed wise.

Interesting theory; thanks, I enjoyed that read mate. To pick your brains further...

If not really for his defending. What do you reckon; could a midfielder do the same job?

I've only watched him a few times (and I know you saw him a lot at the Celts) but surely his "possession control" isn't really going to be better than any of our midfielders? I mean; what do you reckon: could, say Can, Hendo (or any £70m midfielder) not fill the exact same "possession control" role even better?

Listen: an awful lot of time and effort seems to have been put into landing the big fella. I'm not feeling passionate about landing him in the same way as a lot on here but I genuinely hope the time, effort and passion gets rewarded. 😎

Just heading to the hospital (regular thing - wee guy has no thyroid) BBB but a good and fair challenge.

Will respond more specifically but (for me) it's about field position and as them darn Yanks say....."real estate".

What the big fella does is carry the ball out and make up an extra body in midfield - whilst Dejan can pick a pass that's not really in his bag.....Matip can but tends to sit a lot at the moment - maybe because Dejan is a little rash (at times).

It frees the midfield to push further forward - overload and overlaps etc.

Anyways need to go just now.....

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,474 posts | 4594 
      Reply #2465: Aug 29, 2017 03:29:24 pm
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,634 posts | 1120 
      Reply #2466: Aug 29, 2017 03:29:30 pm
      There is just no way this deal is happening. I think he will leave saints next summer.

Miserable boring take on it I know ... but i don't believe there is a chance in hell of them selling to us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8642 
      Reply #2467: Aug 29, 2017 03:39:57 pm

Hahaha funny tweet, but the divvy needs shooting for that user name ;)

Can't stand all that announce bollocks
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2468: Aug 29, 2017 03:56:38 pm
      Just heading to the hospital (regular thing - wee guy has no thyroid) BBB but a good and fair challenge.

Will respond more specifically but (for me) it's about field position and as them darn Yanks say....."real estate".

What the big fella does is carry the ball out and make up an extra body in midfield - whilst Dejan can pick a pass that's not really in his bag.....Matip can but tends to sit a lot at the moment - maybe because Dejan is a little rash (at times).

It frees the midfield to push further forward - overload and overlaps etc.

Anyways need to go just now.....

I get it Scotia.  😉
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,417 posts | 6418 
      Reply #2469: Aug 29, 2017 03:57:45 pm
      Is there an alternate term for "creepy stalker" in Scouse? :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8642 
      Reply #2470: Aug 29, 2017 04:15:04 pm
      Hahaha this one did make me laugh

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,724 posts | 3941 
      Reply #2471: Aug 29, 2017 04:16:50 pm
      Twitter with loads of bollocks again. I F***ing fall for it everytime
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8642 
      Reply #2472: Aug 29, 2017 04:18:36 pm
      Twitter with loads of bollocks again. I F***ing fall for it everytime

Half of it is people just pure taking the piss.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #2473: Aug 29, 2017 04:46:05 pm

Come on man. It's not Him. He doesn't need to fly in on a plane. He just...appears like.

Would be a great signing though.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2474: Aug 29, 2017 04:48:03 pm
      Come on man. It's not Him. He doesn't need to fly in on a plane. He just...appears like.

Would be a great signing though.

;D

I'm starting to think vvd to Liverpool is an even more fanciful made up story than religion
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,926 posts | 968 
      Reply #2475: Aug 29, 2017 04:55:31 pm
      ;D

I'm starting to think vvd to Liverpool is an even more fanciful made up story than religion

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2476: Aug 29, 2017 05:02:04 pm
      https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/virgil-van-dijk/club-after-summer-transfer-window

Skybet now offering 11/4 for him to stay at Southampton, with just over 48 hrs left, that appears either insanely generous or somebody knows something. The only thing I would say is that the price hasn't totally collapsed to us (sure 1/4 is constrictive but if they're willing to offer 11/4 he stays that still seems a touch generous), my guess is there's another club pushing really hard  and they're trying to play chicken with VvD.

Leave it as late as they can until they cave into his demands or he caves into theirs but at this point it really does look a sure bet he's leaving the Saints imo.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #2477: Aug 29, 2017 05:08:48 pm
      ;D

ooh, a nice subtle anti-faith comment in the football thread.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #2478: Aug 29, 2017 05:10:55 pm
      https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/virgil-van-dijk/club-after-summer-transfer-window

Skybet now offering 11/4 for him to stay at Southampton, with just over 48 hrs left, that appears either insanely generous or somebody knows something. The only thing I would say is that the price hasn't totally collapsed to us (sure 1/4 is constrictive but if they're willing to offer 11/4 he stays that still seems a touch generous), my guess is there's another club pushing really hard  and they're trying to play chicken with VvD.

Leave it as late as they can until they cave into his demands or he caves into theirs but at this point it really does look a sure bet he's leaving the Saints imo.

Odds change in such a way as to guarantee the betting house makes money. When it was 2/9, to leave, more people found it a good bet that he stay, and so then those odds start to drop. Only in the rarest events does the house take a proverbial bath on a wager's outcome.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #2479: Aug 29, 2017 05:27:21 pm

Ha fair do's mate.

I believe I can see (broadly) what he's aiming for........he's not (just) trying to make us defend better so much as defend less.......

Apols - my enthusiasm does occasionally come over a bit "evangelical" 😳
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2480: Aug 29, 2017 05:29:04 pm
      Apols - my enthusiasm does occasionally come over a bit "evangelical"

Never apologise for passion (or honesty) buddy... not to me anyhow.  8)

As for VvD: I'm easy come, easy go although he must be the dog's danglies for us not to have moved on long ago. Was/is there really no alternative? Hmm. Depends how hard you look , I suppose.  :-\

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #2481: Aug 29, 2017 05:32:53 pm
      Never apologise for passion (or honesty) buddy... not to me anyhow.  8)

😉 I tell you what if I'm nearly right it's "balls of steel" stuff and the absolute polar opposite of that miserable, cheating, unethical f**ker along the M62.....

We'll get caught with our pants down and lose some goals along the way mind.......

I don't think there's a player quite the same but (as must as I admire Jürgen's conviction on his targets) it's a bit too dangerously close to a high wire act for my nerve.......
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2482: Aug 29, 2017 05:34:28 pm
      Odds change in such a way as to guarantee the betting house makes money. When it was 2/9, to leave, more people found it a good bet that he stay, and so then those odds start to drop. Only in the rarest events does the house take a proverbial bath on a wager's outcome.

I understand odds reasonably well mate and yes to get a better than (lower) 100% over-round is rare in these markets (due to the fact that people don't often consider that it might be more than a 2 horse race) but it's also a fact that a bookmaker or odds compiler makes a judgement call both relative to other bookmakers and to the information they have at hand which is therefore reflective in the odds they make available.

For instance if you want to know what is happening with Willie Mullins horses over Cheltenham then observe the odds offered by paddypower, his horses have numerous entries but there's a reason why these will be a few points lower (in fact pretty close to on the day prices) for certain races for his horses. It's got nothing to do with the bets they're received and "getting it in the book" it's completely down to information they have that we aren't privy to. The same will happen across all sports and throughout the betting industry, it is basically legal insider trading and exactly why bookmakers figure so heavily on the FTSE 100, they are not generous, ever.

So does 11/4 look too good to be true with 48hrs or so left, damn right it does. Do I think that they've got more liabilities on him moving than they do on him staying, yes, but that doesn't mean that they need to be so far detached from the other bookmaker prices, there's basically more to it than that. Which of course is an assumption I've made but it's based on years and years of studying betting patterns and bookmakers, and granted the small volumes of trade they get in these markets do make them distinctly different from football betting and horse racing but the same rules should apply.

We'll soon find out though.

Edit: Oh look 1/8 for us and 9/2 with skybet now.. think that 11/4 was generous now? :D
      « Last Edit: Aug 29, 2017 05:42:30 pm by KopiteLuke »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,474 posts | 4594 
      Reply #2483: Aug 29, 2017 05:36:31 pm
      This is a done deal and more likely to be concluded deadline day...a Lemar is the one I'm keeping a close eye on.

Quick Reply