Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

Mohamed Salah (AS Roma)

Read 83264 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Mohamed Salah (AS Roma)
      Reply #598: Jun 20, 2017 02:54:00 pm
      To be fair, City bought Silva early on....was anyone else in for him? Not every player is going to have a queue of teams lined up to sign them, and the ones that are...well we know how that works for us. I'm happy if Klopp gets to buy the players he wants, especially when we can see with our own eyes that they'll likely contribute right away like Salah. I agree, this better be just a start and we definitely need to be looking at his caliber or preferably above for the rest of our dealings.

To be equally fair, City have proven their ability to get deals done swiftly and with minimal fuss, even when other clubs are in for them. We have not, not just this Summer but throughout FSG's tenure and until we prove we can, their reputation will remain a negative one. The one deal we came closest to doing that with they still managed to embarassingly F**k up. You or I or anyone else on this forum would be looking for a new job if we displayed that level of incompetence on a persistant basis in our jobs.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #599: Jun 20, 2017 03:07:18 pm
      Salah Firmino Mane
       Coutinho Lallana
                 Can

Like that mate.

That's what I ended up with as well, but Hendo for Can when fit.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #600: Jun 20, 2017 03:07:33 pm
      Salah Firmino Mane
       Coutinho Lallana
                 Can

I would swap either Coutinho or Lallana out for Hendo, Can or Wijnaldum for that extra solidity in midfield. Hendo & Can with Coutinho would be my first choice.

I really think with Salah , Mane, Firmino and Coutinho/Lallana, we'll have enough creativity and goal threat.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #601: Jun 20, 2017 03:18:42 pm
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #602: Jun 20, 2017 03:20:53 pm
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #603: Jun 20, 2017 03:32:43 pm
      Well its about time now lets move on to our next target and hope its not as complicated as the others.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #604: Jun 20, 2017 03:42:49 pm
      if he comes i hope he does excellent and helps us to some glory , regardless of what i have said in the past
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #605: Jun 20, 2017 03:52:39 pm
      F**k Sky sources.
      A club record deal of £39m is close to being sealed according to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40345138

No offence Ross old bean.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #606: Jun 20, 2017 04:04:02 pm
      "Flying in "   says the Echo .

To be paying what we are ......a couple of years on from £11mill ........ Jürgen must see something other than just his speed.
      Something to be paying  £27 million more than what Chelsea paid Basle for him.

Lets hope so.

He needs a barber methinks .

Agree with Luke's line up and definitely playing Can not Henderson.
      « Last Edit: Jun 20, 2017 04:10:34 pm by MIRO »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #607: Jun 20, 2017 04:17:18 pm
      Well its about time now lets move on to our next target and hope its not as complicated as the others.

Shouldn't we have already been working on our  "next" targets? Can we only manage one transfer at a time?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #608: Jun 20, 2017 04:26:15 pm
      Shouldn't we have already been working on our  "next" targets? Can we only manage one transfer at a time?

You're expecting miracles no doubt 😎

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #609: Jun 20, 2017 04:35:06 pm

If that's true it will confuse the sweet F**k out of a few fans... Jürgen signing an 'established' player, for a club record fee, when (quote) "the window's not open yet"? 😯

Kettles pickled all over the shop. 🤕😄
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #610: Jun 20, 2017 04:41:59 pm
      To be paying what we are ......a couple of years on from £11mill ........ Jürgen must see something other than just his speed.
      Something to be paying  £27 million more than what Chelsea paid Basle for him.

2017's £39m is 2014's £11m
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #611: Jun 20, 2017 05:18:43 pm
      2017's £39m is 2014's £11m

That theory, expanded, means we paid the equivalent of £25m [in today's money] for Luis Alberto that year but it's ok because... we also sold Andy Carroll for £53m 😛😊

Love it. 😎
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,361 posts | 1013 
      Reply #612: Jun 20, 2017 05:20:34 pm
      I can't believe we've actually, nearly, not quite, signed him! If we take this long over all our transfers we'll either all be alcoholics or in intensive care!   :f_whistle:

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #613: Jun 20, 2017 05:28:00 pm
      we'll either all be alcoholics or in intensive care!
      Too late; been there, done that. 😄

Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #614: Jun 20, 2017 05:29:37 pm
      International level, opposition outside the somewhat weak Italian league.

I don't get why people still see the Serie A as a somewhat 'weak' league. Juventus made it to the Champion's League final, Napoli made it to the last 16, both were knocked out by a far superior Real Madrid. Roma should've been in it if it weren't for the idiotic red cards they received in the qualification round against Porto. Where were the English teams? Did they do any better? AC Milan and Inter might not be the teams they once were, Lazio, Roma, Napoli and Juventus have very good teams. Southampton was in an EL group with Inter (Inter finished 7th in their league, same as Southamption in the PL) and they were close games at a time when Inter was clearly struggling. The bottom of their league might be weak, but so is the PL's.

As for Roma as a team and Salah as a player, they managed to keep up with Juventus quite well, only finishing 4 points off of the top spot. They also beat that Juventus team 3-1 at home (Juventus weren't at full strenght, but still fielded a very strong side). Roma are quite an exciting team to watch, they scored 90 goals, far more than Juventus and only beaten by Napoli, another very good attacking side. Salah was a big part of that attacking front three unit (or four, if you want to include Nainggolan who often played as something between a number 8 and 10). They regularly dominated games, so limiting Salah's strong points to 'pace and useful on the counter-attack' is wrong. He's a very technical player, good in tight areas and what's actually one of the most important things for me, a genuine left foot, something we just don't have in our current squad and which will change the dynamic of our team.

Pointing to his period at Chelsea three years ago is also pointless. He was a 21 (or 22?) year old player, coming from the Swiss League straight to one of the PL's top teams. He was never given the time to adapt to the league and wasn't given many chances in the starting eleven either. He has come a long way since then and has developed very well at Fiorentina and Roma. No matter the league or the team, having a foot in about 35 goals in 40 games is very impressive.

I hope we sign him and that he goes on to be a cracking player for us. Every transfer is a risk, but if the player himself is willing to come back to the PL after having previously 'failed' here, he must have confidence in his abilities to succeed this time and he will have a point to prove.
      +13
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #615: Jun 20, 2017 05:30:38 pm
      I can't believe we've actually, nearly, not quite, signed him! If we take this long over all our transfers we'll either all be alcoholics or in intensive care!   :f_whistle:

Mane June 28th
      Gini July 22nd
      Firmino June 24th
      Lovren July 28th
      Lallana June 30th
      Can July 3rd
      Clyne July 1st
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #616: Jun 20, 2017 05:31:48 pm
      I don't get why people still see the Serie A as a somewhat 'weak' league. Juventus made it to the Champion's League final, Napoli made it to the last 16, both were knocked out by a far superior Real Madrid. Roma should've been in it if it weren't for the idiotic red cards they received in the qualification round against Porto. Where were the English teams? Did they do any better? AC Milan and Inter might not be the teams they once were, Lazio, Roma, Napoli and Juventus have very good teams. Southampton was in an EL group with Inter (Inter finished 7th in their league, same as Southamption in the PL) and they were close games at a time when Inter was clearly struggling. The bottom of their league might be weak, but so is the PL's.

As for Roma as a team and Salah as a player, they managed to keep up with Juventus quite well, only finishing 4 points off of the top spot. They also beat that Juventus team 3-1 at home (Juventus weren't at full strenght, but still fielded a very strong side). Roma are quite an exciting team to watch, they scored 90 goals, far more than Juventus and only beaten by Napoli, another very good attacking side. Salah was a big part of that attacking front three unit (or four, if you want to include Nainggolan who often played as something between a number 8 and 10). They regularly dominated games, so limiting Salah's strong points to 'pace and useful on the counter-attack' is wrong. He's a very technical player, good in tight areas and what's actually one of the most important things for me, a genuine left foot, something we just don't have in our current squad and which will change the dynamic of our team.

Pointing to his period at Chelsea three years ago is also pointless. He was a 21 (or 22?) year old player, coming from the Swiss League straight to one of the PL's top teams. He was never given the time to adapt to the league and wasn't given many chances in the starting eleven either. He has come a long way since then and has developed very well at Fiorentina and Roma. No matter the league or the team, having a foot in about 35 goals in 40 games is very impressive.

I hope we sign him and that he goes on to be a cracking player for us. Every transfer is a risk, but if the player himself is willing to come back to the PL after having previously 'failed' here, he must have confidence in his abilities to succeed this time.

Couldn't agree more, top post.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #617: Jun 20, 2017 05:53:49 pm
      Mane June 28th
      Gini July 22nd
      Firmino June 24th
      Lovren July 28th
      Lallana June 30th
      Can July 3rd
      Clyne July 1st

The 'experts' theory that 'the transfers [of higher calibre players] take time' and are 'rarely done quickly' was/is pure sh*te then? 😂

Cool... I can live with that. 👍😄

Seriously - what sort of memories do you lads have: have you no shame? 😄

« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2017 06:18:54 pm by bad boy bubby »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #618: Jun 20, 2017 05:56:03 pm

I hope we sign him and that he goes on to be a cracking player for us. Every transfer is a risk, but if the player himself is willing to come back to the PL after having previously 'failed' here, he must have confidence in his abilities to succeed this time and he will have a point to prove.

Real Madrid eclipse any team in Serie A as you say yourself, they are light years ahead of their nearest competition. That fact does not make for a challenging league with the catchers-up of the same mind-set and resigned to a runners-up placing.
      The Premier League currently have Chelsea doing a RM and buying success but that is in no way a forgone conclusion in that the chasing pack do not have an ingrained runners-up mentality.

On your closing point I too hope to F**k we sign the lad, an out and out pressing winger has been a missing ingredient of LFC for too long.

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,231 posts | 1223 
      Reply #619: Jun 20, 2017 06:19:48 pm
      Happy with this. Reckon he'll be a good signing and will help us tonk many teams next season. Bar a proper striker our attacking line up is more or less complete I would say.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #620: Jun 20, 2017 07:06:28 pm
      Happy with this. Reckon he'll be a good signing and will help us tonk many teams next season. Bar a proper striker our attacking line up is more or less complete I would say.

I can't see us signing a new striker.

Maybe if Klopp decides to sell Stu but very unlikely.

I'm ok with that too providing we sign a top CB and LB.

Quick Reply