Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 27th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)

Read 213054 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,062 posts | 547 
      Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)
      Reply #1909: May 23, 2024 08:19:46 pm
      Trent at LB 😱

He'd be better off using Gomez.

He might play Gomez there yeah, he's not got many options there and imo it's Joe's best position.

Don't really see why Trent couldn't play there though. The pros n cons are much the same as at RB. Main difference is that it's a bit easier to play the inverted role there, for the reason I mentioned. Depends whether Southgate would prefer that or have him go more on the outside. (That's if he wants him at FB at all, which he doesn't seem to. But his shortage of LBs could tempt him.)

Defensively, it could be a better position for Trent IF the opposition are playing an inverted winger, who wants to cut inside all the time. He'd be cutting onto Trent's stronger foot.

I'd be interested to see it. At the end of the day, though, I think Trent just needs to apply himself more defensively, whatever side he got played on.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #1910: May 24, 2024 09:14:08 am
      He can't defend though, the laziness he has in letting players past without making a challenge, struggling to deal with balls flighted over him. Trent has always been praised as a right back for going forward, balls he plays and in general his attacking play, very rarely it's about his defensive play.

I know. That's my point - I don't think putting him in midfield takes away the defensive weakness....could even magnify it.

Such a talent but the inverted thing needs to stop. It's hurt more than helped us.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,343 posts | 4963 
      Reply #1911: May 24, 2024 10:34:56 am
      I know. That's my point - I don't think putting him in midfield takes away the defensive weakness....could even magnify it.

Such a talent but the inverted thing needs to stop. It's hurt more than helped us.

If he moves to midfield has to be as either an attacking 8 or wide right in 4 2 3 1.

I agree on playing him DM he's not suitable for that. I do even agree with a lot of the talk of his defensive lapses at RB. For me I still think he can make a great RB but in th right system and possibly Slots double pivot provides the solidity Jurgens attacking 4 3 3 didn't always do?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,138 posts | 3380 
      Reply #1912: May 24, 2024 12:03:44 pm
      We've seen some games where Trent has had top drawer wingers in his back pocket, so he can defend but he doesn't do it consistently. And we've seen him be one of the finest right backs we've ever had when he's had players in front of him who will work their bollocks off to cover the spaces he leaves.

Over the years though, he's gone from a kid trying to establish himself in the team to becoming a guaranteed starter no matter what. Now, and this may change with Slot taking over, is the first time he's had some real competition for his place in the side with the emergence of Conor Bradley. Competition for places is always a good thing because it forces players to improve if they want to keep their place.

If we can keep Trent and Conor fit at the same time next season, I think there's a good chance that we'll see Trent as good as he's ever been.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #1913: May 24, 2024 12:20:06 pm
      If he moves to midfield has to be as either an attacking 8 or wide right in 4 2 3 1.

I agree on playing him DM he's not suitable for that. I do even agree with a lot of the talk of his defensive lapses at RB. For me I still think he can make a great RB but in th right system and possibly Slots double pivot provides the solidity Jurgens attacking 4 3 3 didn't always do?

All fair points Si
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #1914: May 24, 2024 12:50:49 pm
      Not sure I’d be bragging about that if I was Lijinders.

Don’t think the inverted full back has worked out for us and Trent’s best performances have all come when he’s stayed out wide and played more like a proper RB.

Yes our Pep seemed like to talk quite a bit :)
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,062 posts | 547 
      Reply #1915: May 24, 2024 05:00:33 pm
      We've seen some games where Trent has had top drawer wingers in his back pocket, so he can defend but he doesn't do it consistently. And we've seen him be one of the finest right backs we've ever had when he's had players in front of him who will work their bollocks off to cover the spaces he leaves.

Over the years though, he's gone from a kid trying to establish himself in the team to becoming a guaranteed starter no matter what. Now, and this may change with Slot taking over, is the first time he's had some real competition for his place in the side with the emergence of Conor Bradley. Competition for places is always a good thing because it forces players to improve if they want to keep their place.

If we can keep Trent and Conor fit at the same time next season, I think there's a good chance that we'll see Trent as good as he's ever been.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping. Thought it might happen this season but Trent was injured when Conor was playing and then Conor got injured just as Trent came back.

I agree that Trent can defend ok when he applies himself. There's really no reason why he cant be a great fullback.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 848 posts | 303 
      Reply #1916: May 24, 2024 09:25:32 pm

We might get to watch him play as DM for England in the Euros. I think they will play 4-2-3-1 with Rice +1 other and I think Trent might be a bit ahead of Gallagher as the +1.

I know the Euros are different from PL but it will be interesting to see how he gets on if that is Southgate's plan.

Quick Reply