Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 290656 times
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #782: Aug 07, 2017 05:26:16 pm
      just saying I sold him to Real Madrid for £110M on football manager, bought Lemar and Mbappe from Monaco and never looked back
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #783: Aug 07, 2017 06:09:57 pm

Name me one player who has been sold "against his will".
      Andy Carroll doesn't count.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #784: Aug 07, 2017 07:05:13 pm

Why would I need to do that? I never said anyone was sold against their will!
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,990 posts | 240 
      Reply #785: Aug 07, 2017 07:14:28 pm

But Swab, how/why did it even come to a situation where the key player(who loves the club) doesn't even want to be in the club anymore?

Poor transfer policy (who is to be blamed)? Manager problem (who selected the manager in the first place)? 
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #786: Aug 07, 2017 07:28:12 pm
      But Swab, how/why did it even come to a situation where the key player(who loves the club) doesn't even want to be in the club anymore?

Poor transfer policy (who is to be blamed)? Manager problem (who selected the manager in the first place)? 

It's a short career and not every player has an affinity to the club as other's might.  Both the Spanish clubs and Bayern are considered pinnacle career moves that may define a players status in their minds.

Truth is LFC is a big club with a storied history but until we can be consistent in our future some will leave to what are deemed bigger.

Manc's could not keep Ronaldo, Spurs couldn't keep Bale to a lot of these players saying they played for one of this big 3 this past 15 years means something to them.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #787: Aug 07, 2017 07:29:44 pm
      I've seen one report today saying Barca haven't followed up any interest since having 74mill rejected a couple of weeks ago and another report saying they are set to sign him for 120mill.

All a load of sh*t
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #788: Aug 07, 2017 07:37:46 pm
      Why would I need to do that? I never said anyone was sold against their will!

You've implied it plenty of times, with those hysterical shrieks of "THE bas**rds SOLD HIM"

Suarez wanted to be with his family in Barcelona, and had a habit of biting people when he didn't get his way.
      Sterling had his agent and mother telling sh*t to journo's so he could get his move to city.

Tell me, which club is there that doesn't sell players?
      Which club holds onto players when they publicly say they want a move (something we did with the Arsenal bid for Suarez, and oh yeah, completely ignored the release clause in his contract).

If Coutinho goes to Barca (and that's a big "if" as most of it is just bullshit clickbait) then it will only be because the player has forced the move.

Why you constantly feel the need to buy into media bullshit is beyond me, but it's your time and blood pressure, so crack on.
      I just wish you'd stop inflicting it on the rest of us.

Now, when have the club forced a player into a move so they could "cash in" (something else I see in a few of your posts) and why on earth would we need to sell Couts to afford VvD? (something you posted today)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #789: Aug 07, 2017 07:42:17 pm

Where has anyone said he doesn't want to be at the club anymore?

Would you turn down a promotion at work? Because right now, and especially for South American players, Barca and Real are the pinnacle of the sport.
      Sometimes players want to move, and for many different reasons, including seeing it as a step up.

Why is there always a need amongst some people to play the blame game?
      As a club, we've always sold players.
      I can only imagine the reaction on here if we had the internet when Keegan, Souness, Rush etc were sold.

No player is bigger than the club, if they don't want to be here, F**k 'em, let them go.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,990 posts | 240 
      Reply #790: Aug 07, 2017 07:57:16 pm
      It's a short career and not every player has an affinity to the club as other's might.  Both the Spanish clubs and Bayern are considered pinnacle career moves that may define a players status in their minds.

Truth is LFC is a big club with a storied history but until we can be consistent in our future some will leave to what are deemed bigger.

Manc's could not keep Ronaldo, Spurs couldn't keep Bale to a lot of these players saying they played for one of this big 3 this past 15 years means something to them.

I agree. A transfer to a club outside the league is perfectly fine. It's the transfer within the league that is frustrating. Take Torres or Pepe's(although outside the league)  case. Torres was pushed out of the club. Personally, I was at a point where I thought if we could get half a season more and if Barca come calling at the end of that season, it will be a happy break up. But, that was not to be. And, he had to come back with a grovelling apology to the club and the fans later. Hypothetically, this scenario could have been different had he been a smashing hit at Chelsea. But, that is not the point here. 

Pepe, arguably, was going downhill with his form. But, he was pushed out mainly due to his wages which is understandably a prudent business decision if the replacement had been an upgrade.   

The season when we sold Suarez was the season to kick on. But, the official line on Sanchez rejecting us is the lure of London, which is really a little unbelievable, especially when you consider the signings made by City.
      Where has anyone said he doesn't want to be at the club anymore?

Would you turn down a promotion at work? Because right now, and especially for South American players, Barca and Real are the pinnacle of the sport.
      Sometimes players want to move, and for many different reasons, including seeing it as a step up.

Why is there always a need amongst some people to play the blame game?
      As a club, we've always sold players.
      I can only imagine the reaction on here if we had the internet when Keegan, Souness, Rush etc were sold.

No player is bigger than the club, if they don't want to be here, f**k 'em, let them go.

Selling a player is perfectly fine. It's the replacement which is a problem. Keegan was replaced by Kenny; Suarez was replaced by Balotelli.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #791: Aug 07, 2017 08:10:20 pm
      I agree. A transfer to a club outside the league is perfectly fine. It's the transfer within the league that is frustrating. Take Torres or Pepe's(although outside the league)  case. Torres was pushed out of the club. Personally, I was at a point where I thought if we could get half a season more and if Barca come calling at the end of that season, it will be a happy break up. But, that was not to be. And, he had to come back with a grovelling apology to the club and the fans later. Hypothetically, this scenario could have been different had he been a smashing hit at Chelsea. But, that is not the point here. 

Pepe, arguably, was going downhill with his form. But, he was pushed out mainly due to his wages which is understandably a prudent business decision if the replacement had been an upgrade.   

The season when we sold Suarez was the season to kick on. But, the official line on Sanchez rejecting us is the lure of London, which is really a little unbelievable, especially when you consider the signings made by City.
      Selling a player is perfectly fine. It's the replacement which is a problem. Keegan was replaced by Kenny; Suarez was replaced by Balotelli.

Torres was "pushed out"?
      Really?
      Perhaps you should look again.

Oh, and Rush was "replaced" by a player from Oxford United. I can only imagine the screams of anguish if we bought a player from a lower league these days.
      You only have to look the reaction to a player bought from Hull for that.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #792: Aug 07, 2017 08:12:36 pm
      Torres was "pushed out"?
      Really?

Oh, and Rush was "replaced" by a player from Oxford United. I can only imagine the screams of anguish if we bought a player from a lower league these days.

Rush was replaced by John Barnes and Peter Beardsley
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #793: Aug 07, 2017 08:16:39 pm
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #794: Aug 07, 2017 08:23:12 pm
      You've implied it plenty of times, with those hysterical shrieks of "THE bas**rds SOLD HIM"

Suarez wanted to be with his family in Barcelona, and had a habit of biting people when he didn't get his way.
      Sterling had his agent and mother telling sh*t to journo's so he could get his move to city.

Tell me, which club is there that doesn't sell players?
      Which club holds onto players when they publicly say they want a move (something we did with the Arsenal bid for Suarez, and oh yeah, completely ignored the release clause in his contract).

If Coutinho goes to Barca (and that's a big "if" as most of it is just bullshit clickbait) then it will only be because the player has forced the move.

Why you constantly feel the need to buy into media bullshit is beyond me, but it's your time and blood pressure, so crack on.
      I just wish you'd stop inflicting it on the rest of us.

Now, when have the club forced a player into a move so they could "cash in" (something else I see in a few of your posts) and why on earth would we need to sell Couts to afford VvD? (something you posted today)

You off your meds again?
      I've implied no such thing. Not once have I said they've forced anyone into a move against their will, what I have said that buying cheap, developing and selling high has been their preferred business model since day one.
      The money gained from those sales has been used to buy more players to develop, rather than players as good as those sold, that is fact!

As for holding on to Suarez against his will, if Arsenal had offered £70 million for him, that's where he'd be!

So why would we need to sell Coutinho to fund VD? The answer is we don't, we shouldn't, but its what FSG do. Sell to buy!

I should stop "inflicting it on the rest of you"? Your ego leads you to believe that you speak for everyone on this FANS FORUM?

Have you ever actually posted without it being in a  condescending manor?  Have you considered you may be Sociopathic?
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,990 posts | 240 
      Reply #795: Aug 07, 2017 08:26:04 pm
      Torres was "pushed out"?
      Really?

But, who was that player? Not someone like Balotelli...

Also, the time when Torres was sold was a time of turmoil. There were a lot of conversations between the players and the owners. If you want to believe Torres' version, he was looking for investments to take the club forward. Promises not forthcoming he had to move on. Pepe wanted to stay on. In fact, he suggested names like Santi Cazorla to the club (But, we wanted Charlie Adam(I guess) instead). What I am trying to say is that if you want to retain your best players, you have to incentivise them which translates to increased wages, better players to play with (how many times have new players expressed their reason for joining as playing with Gerrard) etc...

To your earlier question on promotion at work: If I may extrapolate it to promotion at work vs no-promotion-at-work-and-hence-moving-on to a different company; I would take the first option if it was available. I would go for the second option only when the first option was not available.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #796: Aug 07, 2017 08:26:38 pm
      Selling a player is perfectly fine. It's the replacement which is a problem.
      Indeed buddy and the thing is, an awful lot of people know that but seem to have forgotten the importance of what you say.

See if you can guess who said this [echoing your sentiments] -

"For a number of years players of quality were being sold and players of lesser quality were being purchased.

The club wasn’t being run by people with the kind of discipline it takes to be successful over the long-term."

Sadly and somewhat ironically, the bit in bold has turned out to be somewhat prophetic. 😄

Forget what folk like me tell you (one way or the other) the proof of the pudding is always in the eating. 😒
      « Last Edit: Aug 07, 2017 08:32:50 pm by bad boy bubby »
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #797: Aug 07, 2017 08:27:58 pm

One thing is true, across the board this has been a very slow transfer window across all of Europe.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #798: Aug 07, 2017 08:28:49 pm
      You off your meds again?
      I've implied no such thing. Not once have I said they've forced anyone into a move against their will, what I have said that buying cheap, developing and selling high has been their preferred business model since day one.
      The money gained from those sales has been used to buy more players to develop, rather than players as good as those sold, that is fact!

As for holding on to Suarez against his will, if Arsenal had offered £70 million for him, that's where he'd be!

So why would we need to sell Coutinho to fund VD? The answer is we don't, we shouldn't, but its what FSG do. Sell to buy!

I should stop "inflicting it on the rest of you"? Your ego leads you to believe that you speak for everyone on this FANS FORUM?

Have you ever actually posted without it being in a  condescending manor?  Have you considered you may be Sociopathic?

aaand there's the hysteria again.
      So full of sh*t.

Now, please provide a list of players who we sold to buy other players.
      Players who forced a move don't count.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #799: Aug 07, 2017 08:29:38 pm

So then what happens if we buy VVD and don't sell Coutinho?

Has the plan changed or is it a one-off swerve?

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #800: Aug 07, 2017 08:30:48 pm
      Rush was replaced by John Barnes and Peter Beardsley

No, he wasn't.

The name you're struggling for is Aldridge.
      He came in as a direct replacement when Rush was sold to Juventus.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #801: Aug 07, 2017 08:33:45 pm
      No, he wasn't.

The name you're struggling for is Aldridge.
      He came in as a direct replacement when Rush was sold to Juventus.

No!

Aldridge came here before Rush was sold. We took the £3.2 million and spent £1.9 on Beardsley and £900,000 on Barnes.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #802: Aug 07, 2017 08:34:30 pm
      But, who was that player? Not someone like Balotelli...

Also, the time when Torres was sold was a time of turmoil. There were a lot of conversations between the players and the owners. If you want to believe Torres' version, he was looking for investments to take the club forward. Promises not forthcoming he had to move on. Pepe wanted to stay on. In fact, he suggested names like Santi Cazorla to the club (But, we wanted Charlie Adam(I guess) instead). What I am trying to say is that if you want to retain your best players, you have to incentivise them which translates to increased wages, better players to play with (how many times have new players expressed their reason for joining as playing with Gerrard) etc...

To your earlier question on promotion at work: If I may extrapolate it to promotion at work vs no-promotion-at-work-and-hence-moving-on to a different company; I would take the first option if it was available. I would go for the second option only when the first option was not available.

Torres direct quote at the time was that he wanted to move to a bigger club.
      Any promises made, were made to him by Purslow, the h&g stooge.

Pepe might have wanted to stay on, but BR didn't want him, so what has that got to do with the current owners?

Also KK was the manager who was so keen on bringing in Charlie Adam, so again, nothing to do with the owners.

We have one the highest wage bills in football.
      Just go and compare.
      It's yet another fallacy driven by the fact we don't pay as much as oil oligarchs.

Bottom line here is that most of what is being posted is hysterical drivel.
      I swear some of the people posting had never seen a transfer window before, but then when people are agenda driven, truth usually takes a back seat, as we see here time and time again.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #803: Aug 07, 2017 08:38:49 pm
      No!

Aldridge came here before Rush was sold. We took the £3.2 million and spent £1.9 on Beardsley and £900,000 on Barnes.

Aldridge was brought in as a replacement for Rush.
      The fact that they played together when we already knew Rush was leaving was simply to get him settled in.

Or are you trying to say a winger and a 10 were direct replacements for a prolific striker?
       :roll:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,331 posts | 2860 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #804: Aug 07, 2017 08:38:50 pm
      No!

Correct and houghton about 2 months later. The greatest Liverpool side ever. If only there was no ban in Europe at that time

Quick Reply