Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 292892 times
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #2093: Aug 17, 2017 01:10:43 pm
      I don't think we should sell the player.  This window.   There is high chance he will go next window.  But we have to try keep our best players for as long as possible.   If we let players go with the first turn of the head then we are going to struggle now and in the future.  You just can't replace your best players.  It is unlikely that we will replace him like for like.  We can and may try but the influence of the incoming player will not be at the level of Coutinho. 

I think we have the manager that may be able to turn this around and keep him for longer than we think.  Maybe.  We kept Suarez for another season.  I think we should do the same.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #2094: Aug 17, 2017 01:11:19 pm
      Voted yes under the assumption that it means Klopp is getting what he wants -- both the sale of Coutinho and the purchases of Keita and VVD. 

I still feel we'd be short 1 wide attacking player.  Hopefully we'd still have enough dosh leftover to purchase a player like this. 
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2017 01:25:19 pm by harrydunn08 »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2095: Aug 17, 2017 01:11:24 pm
      I'm wondering at what stage did Klopp want to sell? Before or after the transfer request. I'm not sure if there was any truth in Coutinho's family's statement about troubles with Klopp. Sturridge and Sakho are hardly Klopps best friend either.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #2096: Aug 17, 2017 01:14:37 pm
      I'm wondering at what stage did Klopp want to sell? Before or after the transfer request. I'm not sure if there was any truth in Coutinho's family's statement about troubles with Klopp. Sturridge and Sakho are hardly Klopps best friend either.

Coutinho's 'family' statements are his agent. Let's not pretend otherwise.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2097: Aug 17, 2017 01:19:01 pm
      Still like to know when Klopp secretly decided to join team sell whilst leading fans on that he wanted to keep him. Last statement I saw Klopp said if he says no sale and FSG said sale Klopp cannot stop it. Klopp should know better that everything comes out anyway. He should just have said my personal opinions don't matter, but FSG said no sale and we will get on with it... I personally feel if Bellamy is right, which looks to be the accepted case, Klopp lied to fans a bit.

Klopps qoute in Telegraph hours before Bellamy released his leak.

If, for example, there is an offer for a player and I say ‘No’ and the owners say, ‘Yes, let’s ask for a number on how much they want to pay’. And I say, ‘I don’t want to hear it’. But they say ‘We want to hear it, £50 million … £50 million is cool’. So then they sell the player – that is how a club works.

Miss leading to say the least.
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2017 01:30:25 pm by Ribapuru »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #2098: Aug 17, 2017 01:23:31 pm
      No sale, AND they should be adding a couple of other starters. That's how you strengthen and that's how you progress to bigger challenges. If we buy Keita and VVD (still don't think it's happening) but sell Phil (with no like for like replacement) then you've only strengthened marginally. That would not be a good window in my estimation.

The end of the day though I'm most pissed off that Phil has done all this. I thought (stupidly) that he was different.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #2099: Aug 17, 2017 01:34:38 pm
      Still like to know when Klopp secretly decided to join team sell whilst leading fans on that he wanted to keep him. Last statement I saw Klopp said if he says no sale and FSG said sale Klopp cannot stop it. Klopp should know better that everything comes out anyway. He should just have said my personal opinions don't matter, but FSG said no sale and we will get on with it... I personally feel if Bellamy is right, which looks to be the accepted case, Klopp lied to fans a bit.

Klopps qoute in Telegraph hours before Bellamy released his leak.

If, for example, there is an offer for a player and I say ‘No’ and the owners say, ‘Yes, let’s ask for a number on how much they want to pay’. And I say, ‘I don’t want to hear it’. But they say ‘We want to hear it, £50 million … £50 million is cool’. So then they sell the player – that is how a club works.

Miss leading to say the least.

What leak? The only thing I saw quoted by Bellamy was him saying he'd been told by someone in the club we aren't going to sell. How does that translate into Klopp wants to sell him? Sorry, genuinely confused here, have I missed something?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #2100: Aug 17, 2017 01:34:54 pm
      I often find myself agreeing with your posts, and again word for word I concur.

Although, that last paragraph - apparently he's even willing to lose his Brazil place and basically sit in the stands if he doesn't get his move, he's also apparently stated he's already played his last game for Pool.

If he has said those things then calling his bluff is less of a gamble than selling him and hoping we can bring in a couple of players in the space of 2 weeks.

I can't imagine that's true anyway to be honest. Even when he handed his transfer request in, the source close to his family (brother?), said he wants to go on record and say he's thankful for Liverpool etc.

Its not as if Coutinho is Scottish either, he has a genuine chance of winning the world cup being Brazilian so I just can't see how he would be willing to miss out on such an opportunity.

I only see one realistic solution here because we are at the end of the window and its the same scenario we had with Suarez. We keep coutinho, offer him another new contract that boosts his wages to 200K to put a smile on his face, then we make a verbal agreement with him (or put a release clause in his contract, 150m  ;)) that he can go at the start of next summer giving us plenty of time to bring players in.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #2101: Aug 17, 2017 01:35:59 pm
      What leak? The only thing I saw quoted by Bellamy was him saying he'd been told by someone in the club we aren't going to sell. How does that translate into Klopp wants to sell him? Sorry, genuinely confused here, have I missed something?

Yes, Bellamy apparently went on to say that his source thinks Klopp wants to sell but FSG don't.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2102: Aug 17, 2017 01:36:37 pm
      No sale, AND they should be adding a couple of other starters. That's how you strengthen and that's how you progress to bigger challenges. If we buy Keita and VVD (still don't think it's happening) but sell Phil (with no like for like replacement) then you've only strengthened marginally. That would not be a good window in my estimation.

The end of the day though I'm most pissed off that Phil has done all this. I thought (stupidly) that he was different.

Yeah. Whatever happens he's come across as spineless in this episode choosing to dance to the tune of his agent. As important as he was last season it's worth remembering that he has a dud performance in him. If he comes back and puts in one of those performances then the crowd could really get on his back accusing him of not playing for the shirt.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 734 posts | 113 
      Reply #2103: Aug 17, 2017 01:36:38 pm

I wouldn't automatically assume that. As far as I know, the 'source' of those quotes was Sky Sports. It's very possible that they spoke to his wife and she told them that, on condition of anonymity. Coutinho's agent is not based in the UK ... it could of course have been him, but usually that's reported as a 'source close to the player' of a variation of that. To actually say that it was from his family says to me that it came from elsewhere
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #2104: Aug 17, 2017 01:36:57 pm

I think Bellamy said something along of the lines of Klopp will deal with Barca, but the owners wont.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2105: Aug 17, 2017 01:37:07 pm
      Quote from:  Klopp On Segura's bullshit
      I don't know why other people are saying what they're saying. I don't even know him. I have never met him. We have already said what we have to say. No news from me. Nobody told me anything different since we spoke last time.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10992106/liverpool-boss-Jürgen-klopp-denies-philippe-coutinho-is-close-to-barcelona-move
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 734 posts | 113 
      Reply #2106: Aug 17, 2017 01:43:55 pm
      Yes, Bellamy apparently went on to say that his source thinks Klopp wants to sell but FSG don't.

That doesn't surprise me one little bit. The way that Klopp reacted to Sakho spoke volumes about how he views discipline in the squad ... the way that FSG have publicly and emphatically said he's not for sale, along with their stance over Suarez, speaks volumes about their capacity to not blink first.

I can see a situation where Coutinho stays with us this season but either does not play or seriously falls out with Klopp to the extent that it really does impact on morale with the other players.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2107: Aug 17, 2017 01:48:40 pm
      https://twitter.com/YahooSportUK/status/898145285129588736

This, perhaps, is why Jürgen wants to sell Coutinho.

I'd be all over this personally. Brilliant player.

If we sold Cou and got Draxler + VvD I'd still say this window had been decent, sell Cou and get Keita/Draxler/VvD, I'd be over the moon.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2108: Aug 17, 2017 01:51:05 pm

Seems as decent an argument for selling Coutinho.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #2109: Aug 17, 2017 01:52:31 pm

If we sold Cou and got Draxler + VvD I'd still say this window had been decent, sell Cou and get Keita/Draxler/VvD, I'd be over the moon.

Doesn't he have attitude issues? Forced his way out of his two former clubs?
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,303 posts | 240 
      Reply #2110: Aug 17, 2017 01:53:35 pm
      Cou will have back problem until 1.september.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2111: Aug 17, 2017 01:54:31 pm
      Doesn't he have attitude issues? Forced his way out of his two former clubs?

Like Coutinho is now? I wouldn't have said he had attitude problems until this window. If anyone could sort out Draxler in terms of attitude don't you think Klopp could?

Don't think it'll happen but it's the first player I could happily see come in to replace Cou.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #2112: Aug 17, 2017 01:56:22 pm
      Like Coutinho is now? I wouldn't have said he had attitude problems until this window. If anyone could sort out Draxler in terms of attitude don't you think Klopp could?

Don't think it'll happen but it's the first player I could happily see come in to replace Cou.

You could be right and didn't Klopp try to go in for him last summer?
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,012 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #2113: Aug 17, 2017 01:58:24 pm

Can't believe they want to sell him, he was their best player last year. If they really want to sell we should be in for him.
      Trade him for Coutinho and piss off Barcelona in the process.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #2114: Aug 17, 2017 01:59:20 pm
      Quote from KopiteLuke

As Alan "Fluff" Freeman would have said......".....not arf!"
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2115: Aug 17, 2017 01:59:23 pm
      Barcelona have offered Liverpool £118m for 25-year-old Brazilian midfielder Philippe Coutinho. (talkaloadofbull.com, in Spanish)

Quick Reply