Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 289797 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #3795: Jan 05, 2018 02:56:24 pm
      Question:

If Phil played for another team and had the exact same form as he's had with us over the last 5 years.

Would you spend £130million on him?
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #3796: Jan 05, 2018 03:00:18 pm
      Question:

If Phil played for another team and had the exact same form as he's had with us over the last 5 years.

In this climate yes. We will pay more or less close to the same for a worse replacement probably.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #3797: Jan 05, 2018 03:02:08 pm
      Question:

Dunno BUT since the start of 15/16 season Mahrez has scored 2 more and made 3 more assists........

Interesting considering that’s regarded as Phil’s best period too.

Lies, damned lies and statistics eh?!🤔
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2018 03:08:51 pm by Scotia »
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,012 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #3798: Jan 05, 2018 03:08:58 pm
      Question:

I would. His probable replacement, Lemar, is valued at £90m and is: less experienced, playing in a lesser league and coming from a lesser team so in this crazy market that price seems about right.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3799: Jan 05, 2018 03:12:04 pm
      If we sell Coutinho in this winter all our good players will be following out the door in the summer. Selling Coutinho without getting Lemar will be a very massive strp back. We'll lose that much team moral, forget winning FA Cup, we won't even finish 4th. We should not even be considering a sale before a replacement.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,718 posts | 3939 
      Reply #3800: Jan 05, 2018 04:16:11 pm
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,718 posts | 3939 
      Reply #3801: Jan 05, 2018 04:17:10 pm

F***ing €60m in shitty add ons. It should be £160m upfront take it or leave it. Bunch of cu*ts
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3802: Jan 05, 2018 04:19:53 pm
      Question:

No, he is a luxury player and we really don't need him, I'd much rather spend the £130 million on a superb goalkeeper and/or top notch striker.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3803: Jan 05, 2018 04:21:11 pm
      If we sell Coutinho in this winter all our good players will be following out the door in the summer. Selling Coutinho without getting Lemar will be a very massive strp back. We'll lose that much team moral, forget winning FA Cup, we won't even finish 4th. We should not even be considering a sale before a replacement.

One word, Bollocks!
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #3804: Jan 05, 2018 04:35:53 pm

Come on mate you seriously don't believe our entire season hinges on keeping Coutinho do you?

We are not anywhere near a one man team, sure we mightn't be as potent up top but depending on who comes in the other way we might come out the other side a stronger team overall.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,524 posts | 224 
      Reply #3805: Jan 05, 2018 04:49:51 pm
      More(on)?

Why are you here? You add zero value to any debate.

Ah yes agree  with me or you add no value. Typical response from a person adding nothing such as yourself

Looks like pip is off, shocking from the manager and terrible from the club

Awful awful decision, mid f**king season and people are actually unable to see like this parrot why it is a bad move for us as a club ? F**kin hell, modern day fans these days

Middle of a the fckn season, Jesus.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,524 posts | 224 
      Reply #3806: Jan 05, 2018 04:51:24 pm
      My gripe isn’t about pip going
      It’s about him going in January, utter stupidity
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,303 posts | 4949 
      Reply #3807: Jan 05, 2018 04:58:08 pm
      So you'd keep him over Salah?

Just curious. Because we had Coutinho last year and weren't really any better off than we are this year and I'd argue if you took Salah out of this year's team....we'd be struggling mightily (where is if you take Coutinho out of this year's team....we're 7-1).

And I don't think ANYONE is saying he's  sh*t. I think people are saying he's not anywhere near worth 140m. He's good, maybe great at times, but it's not like he's Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo (or even Suarez for that matter).

Disagree FL.

He's our best player. I argue that Firmino is our most important but Phil is our best and when he eventually goes to Barca he'll prove to be one of the finest footballers in the world.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4412 
      Reply #3808: Jan 05, 2018 05:06:53 pm
      Disagree FL.

He's our best player. I argue that Firmino is our most important but Phil is our best and when he eventually goes to Barca he'll prove to be one of the finest footballers in the world.

That's the great thing about the situation this time around unlike when Suarez left and poor Brendan was handed Balotelli and Lambert!
      We have potentially 4 players up front who people will say are the best players at the although Mane has been a bit out of sorts post his injury.

Klopps team is not built on a individual but it's the system so in a way the most important person at the club is Klopp.
      Who ever is bought in it won't be about replicating what skills Coutinho has but how they can fit into the system and enhance it.

Coutinho is a top player but the machine won't collapse without him.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,718 posts | 3939 
      Reply #3809: Jan 05, 2018 05:07:56 pm
      Disagree FL.

I have no doubt that he’ll become the best player in the world
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #3810: Jan 05, 2018 05:11:31 pm
      So you'd keep him over Salah?

Just curious. Because we had Coutinho last year and weren't really any better off than we are this year and I'd argue if you took Salah out of this year's team....we'd be struggling mightily (where is if you take Coutinho out of this year's team....we're 7-1).

And I don't think ANYONE is saying he's  sh*t. I think people are saying he's not anywhere near worth 140m. He's good, maybe great at times, but it's not like he's Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo (or even Suarez for that matter).

Coutinho makes us tick, it's no coincidence that when Coutinho and Lallana have been missing our boards have filled with topics about the mundane and boring 3 man midfield of Can, Henderson and Wijnaldum. F**k me with a chainsaw, Henderson was untouchable last Season, once Lallana and Coutinho were out of the side this Season he bore the brunt of the supporter frustration at the lack of creativity in the midfield. Nobody talked about Henderson then because Lallana and Coutinho were doing all the creating.

He is no Lionel Messi or Ronaldo yet, you are quite right FL, but put him in the Real Madrid or Barcelona team where he is surrounded by players of the same ability and he will become a Ronaldo or Messi, i personally think that is without question. How many times have you seen Coutinho play passes where the recipients haven't had the game intelligence to make the run or read the pass? There are very few players on his level, the closest we have is Firmino in regards to game intelligence, followed closely by Salah, Mane and Lallana.

Could we please also stop bringing up the comparisons of results with or without Coutinho? They are meaningless. There are 2 massive reasons we are not really any better off this Season than last Season and that is our centre back pairing and goalkeeper. We are scoring enough goals to win most of our games yet the defence fails time after time after time.

If Coutinho goes he goes, as long as we replace with top quality i'll be happy. If we don't replace him i will be F***ing livid!

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3811: Jan 05, 2018 05:12:38 pm
      Keep reading about how we are trying to convince him to stay.

Erm, he has another 4 years on his contract. There is no convincing to do. If the club want to keep him then that’s how it is, the player has to accept that. If he then refuses to play then that’s down to him.

Hate all this stuff about convincing him to stay. Utter crap, he’s got 4 years on his contract. Simple.

Personally, I don’t care if he stays or goes because I’m fed up of all the crap. Fantastic player but bigger and better players than him have left this club.
       But, don’t agree with people making out that we are the ones not in control of the situation.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #3812: Jan 05, 2018 05:17:00 pm
      Keep reading about how we are trying to convince him to stay.

Erm, he has another 4 years on his contract. There is no convincing to do. If the club want to keep him then that’s how it is, the player has to accept that. If he then refuses to play then that’s down to him.

Hate all this stuff about convincing him to stay. Utter crap, he’s got 4 years on his contract. Simple.

Personally, I don’t care if he stays or goes because I’m fed up of all the crap. Fantastic player but bigger and better players than him have left this club.
       But, don’t agree with people making out that we are the ones not in control of the situation.

Think we're in total control....in the end it will be how long will the managers patience last.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3813: Jan 05, 2018 05:19:24 pm
      Come on mate you seriously don't believe our entire season hinges on keeping Coutinho do you?

We are not anywhere near a one man team, sure we mightn't be as potent up top but depending on who comes in the other way we might come out the other side a stronger team overall.
      problem is more because of the message it sends out. It means we are willing to sell off players in the winter, expect it every winter now. Mid season disturbances. Nobody in CL or competing for the top four should be selling anybody. Is Lemar for sale? No... Clubs now know that we do things on others terms. Can't remember Atletico doing this, they reported for tapping up... We didn't report anything did we? We should have said Coutinho will stay until the summer but have we? No, Barca want cover for Iniestsa and s replacement for Neymar. They try to do it with never triggering add ons too... It's a farce and it will affect players on the pitch other than Coutinho and Klopps ability to manage. It's like Jenga, how well did it go after Alonso went? Oh yea... Masch and Torres followed him out the door, then Benitez. It's not about just one season.

As soon as we sell Coutinho, every player we buy will go up. Lemar will probably cost £100m. If we buy first Barcelona will lowball us. It's actually a sh*t situation.
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2018 05:33:26 pm by Ribapuru »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #3814: Jan 05, 2018 05:34:16 pm

Given he's our third highest goal scorer, and has the joint most assists, then yeah, it does. He can f**k off in the Summer if he wants but we shouldn't be selling our top talent mid-campaign. Also, Balague has no contacts at Liverpool, only with Barcelona and we all know how full of sh*t they are.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #3815: Jan 05, 2018 05:36:04 pm
      Coutinho makes us tick, it's no coincidence that when Coutinho and Lallana have been missing our boards have filled with topics about the mundane and boring 3 man midfield of Can, Henderson and Wijnaldum. F**k me with a chainsaw, Henderson was untouchable last Season, once Lallana and Coutinho were out of the side this Season he bore the brunt of the supporter frustration at the lack of creativity in the midfield. Nobody talked about Henderson then because Lallana and Coutinho were doing all the creating.

He is no Lionel Messi or Ronaldo yet, you are quite right FL, but put him in the Real Madrid or Barcelona team where he is surrounded by players of the same ability and he will become a Ronaldo or Messi, i personally think that is without question. How many times have you seen Coutinho play passes where the recipients haven't had the game intelligence to make the run or read the pass? There are very few players on his level, the closest we have is Firmino in regards to game intelligence, followed closely by Salah, Mane and Lallana.

Could we please also stop bringing up the comparisons of results with or without Coutinho? They are meaningless. There are 2 massive reasons we are not really any better off this Season than last Season and that is our centre back pairing and goalkeeper. We are scoring enough goals to win most of our games yet the defence fails time after time after time.

If Coutinho goes he goes, as long as we replace with top quality i'll be happy. If we don't replace him i will be F***ing livid!

The Times goes with reporting he is as good as gone for a figure of at Least £140m, considering his worth to the team etc if the manager is not allowed to replace like for like in this instance, all the talk about FSG changing their spots is complete and utter bollocks. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/barcelonas-bid-for-philippe-coutinho-rises-to-142m-h9f7gl3xd
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2018 05:43:57 pm by stuey »
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #3816: Jan 05, 2018 05:36:06 pm
      problem is more because of the message it sends out. It means we are willing to sell off players in the winter, expect it every winter now. Mid season disturbances. Nobody in CL or competing for the top four should be selling anybody. Is Lemar for sale? No... Clubs now know that we do things on others terms. Can't remember Atletico doing this, they reported for tapping up... We didn't report anything did we? We should have said Coutinho will stay until the summer but have we? No, Barca want cover for Iniestsa and s replacement for Neymar. They try to do it with never triggering add ons too... It's a farce and it will affect players on the pitch other than Coutinho and Klopps ability to manage. It's like Jenga, how well did it go after Alonso went? Oh yea... Masch and Torres followed him out the door, then Benitez. It's not about just one season.

As soon as we sell Coutinho, every player we buy will go up. Lemar will probably cost £100m. If we buy first Barcelona will lowball us. It's actually a sh*t situation.

I know that mate but you said in the post I quoted that if we sell in January our season basically ends.

Out of the top 4 and no chance of silverware. Not a chance of that happening in my opinion.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #3817: Jan 05, 2018 05:38:23 pm
      The Times goes with reporting he is as good as gone for a figure of at Least £140m, considering his worth to the team etc if the manager is not allowed to replace like for like in this instance, all the talk about FSG changing their spots is complete and utter bollocks. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageserver/image/methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F00b46790-f16e-11e7-89aa-dfdca00d3076.jpg?crop=1743%2C981%2C729%2C73&resize=685

I don't think there is a lot of like for like this January Stu.....as good as someone like Lemar is he is not at the same level as Phil...everybody else will be cup tied for the CL.

Personally I am starting to warm to the idea of going out and getting Mahrez now and spending the rest this Summer on Lemar and some others.

Quick Reply