Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Malfunctioning Midfield

Read 56996 times
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,224 posts | 1222 
      Re: Malfunctioning Midfield
      Reply #506: Mar 28, 2023 07:24:05 pm
      It’s a simple question for people

When we won the CL and then the league

How many “world class players” did we have in the midfield

It's not exactly the same situation is it? Unless I've missed something we've bombed out of absolutely all of the competitions this season and been battered on a fairly regular basis? Being a supporter I would've thought the idea of signing a potentially world class player would be welcomed, encouraged and possibly might be something to get excited about? Not saying you aren't excited about it but it comes across as though you are seeking to moderate our expectations in case we all have high hopes or something similarly outrageous  ;D
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3445 
      Reply #507: Mar 28, 2023 07:32:26 pm
      It's not exactly the same situation is it? Unless I've missed something we've bombed out of absolutely all of the competitions this season and been battered on a fairly regular basis? Being a supporter I would've thought the idea of signing a potentially world class player would be welcomed, encouraged and possibly might be something to get excited about? Not saying you aren't excited about it but it comes across as though you are seeking to moderate our expectations in case we all have high hopes or something similarly outrageous  ;D

It would be great to have world class mids

But the point is you don’t need to have them

The issues this season are not just about the midfield

We won multiple trophies without a world class midfielder- because we had midfielders that did a solid job

The likes of Henderson , Gini etc were ripped apart for years because they didn’t score enough or create enough

But what they did do was fill in the gaps when the likes of TAA and Robbo went forward , they covered for the likes of Mo etc tracking back

For that they needed lots of energy and work rate - that’s been missing this season during the away games and it’s not just those in the middle

The club will bring in those sort of midfielders- one maybe a Bellingham/Rice etc or it could be  under the radar players that the club have scouted and know will do that job.

It’s about getting the right players in and the players the management want
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,349 posts | 6394 
      Reply #508: Mar 28, 2023 07:34:26 pm
      So to act like a big club means spending more money than we earn 🤷‍♂️

Is that the definition of a big - how much money the spend , maybe that shows the state of the sport
      Did I say it was? Maybe go back and read what I wrote again. Once again, you are using logical fallacies in your responses.

And since when is spending over £100mil “shoestring”
      If the required spend to catch up is far above 100mil then only spending 100 mil is shoestring yes.

It should never be about how much a club spends its always about how well a club spends
      It's almost as if I've said that before FFS. I'm not sure why you keep sounding it out like a parrot over and over. I don't think I've seen one person that disagrees with spending "right". But you also sometimes have to spend "right" in a larger quantity, especially when you have an aging and out of function midfield.

If we spend £150mil and bring in 3 quality players then does it matter that it’s not more ?

Yes it might. But you are once again arguing from speculation because you have no idea what we are going to do. On one hand you are telling us that we are likely to get Jude, on the other hand you are telling people don't get your hopes up. So which is it Carnac?

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #509: Mar 28, 2023 07:35:45 pm
      It’s a simple question for people

When we won the CL and then the league

How many “world class players” did we have in the midfield

Well considering we had a prime Henderson,  A prime Gini , Prime Bobby , and a prime Fab , I’d suggest we’re a million miles from that and won’t be getting near that on your two pence tin , although it is possible John ya might open a bigger tin , as said they don’t necessarily have to be world class as you put it but they have to playing slightly north of the championship .
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,349 posts | 6394 
      Reply #510: Mar 28, 2023 07:36:15 pm

We won multiple trophies without a world class midfielder- because we had midfielders that did a solid job

You are having a F***ing laugh. Fabinho was the best in the world at his position prior to his drop-off in form. He would have walked into any team in the world.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,349 posts | 6394 
      Reply #511: Mar 28, 2023 07:37:21 pm

It's F***ing weird how he gets a bigger boner for defending the owners than he does at the prospect of us spending some real cabbage on some world class players.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3445 
      Reply #512: Mar 28, 2023 07:38:22 pm
      Did I say it was? Maybe go back and read what I wrote again. Once again, you are using logical fallacies in your responses.
      If the required spend to catch up is far above 100mil then only spending 100 mil is shoestring yes.
       It's almost as if I've said that before FFS. I'm not sure why you keep sounding it out like a parrot over and over. I don't think I've seen one person that disagrees with spending "right". But you also sometimes have to spend "right" in a larger quantity, especially when you have an aging and out of function midfield.

Yes it might. But you are once again arguing from speculation because you have no idea what we are going to do. On one hand you are telling us that we are likely to get Jude, on the other hand you are telling people don't get your hopes up. So which is it Carnac?

So what’s “acting like a big club” then when talking about transfers

We spend millions each year , we spend all the money we make each year - so where are we not “acting like a big club” - or is just a statement that’s blurted out without any thought

And what’s a shoestring budget in your eyes

It’s you that brought these statements into it ?

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3445 
      Reply #513: Mar 28, 2023 07:39:08 pm
      Well considering we had a prime Henderson,  A prime Gini , Prime Bobby , and a prime Fab , I’d suggest we’re a million miles from that and won’t be getting near that on your two pence tin , although it is possible John ya might open a bigger tin , as said they don’t necessarily have to be world class as you put it but they have to playing slightly north of the championship .

So which of those midfielders was world class ? It’s just a simple question
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3445 
      Reply #514: Mar 28, 2023 07:40:06 pm
      It's f**king weird how he gets a bigger boner for defending the owners than he does at the prospect of us spending some real cabbage on some world class players.

Why are you bringing the owners into it 🤷‍♂️
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,349 posts | 6394 
      Reply #515: Mar 28, 2023 07:40:49 pm
      So what’s “acting like a big club” then when talking about transfers

We spend millions each year , we spend all the money we make each year - so where are we not “acting like a big club” - or is just a statement that’s blurted out without any thought

And what’s a shoestring budget in your eyes

It’s you that brought these statements into it ?

Shoestring is when we are talking about adding a Bellingham and then a couple of other quality additions and you tighten up your sphincter and start spitting out how we can't afford that. Why can't we? Surely a club of our stature, as well run as we are financially (because you tell us every chance you get) can open up the wallet this summer to get us back on track with where we should be?

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #516: Mar 28, 2023 07:41:56 pm
      Where did I say that 🤷‍♂️

You said we can get 3 quality players for under ÂŁ150M so stop squealing around when you post sh*t.

Every man and his dog knows Jude will be north of ÂŁ10OM so name me 2 “quality” players for ÂŁ25M each Mr Analytical 🤣
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,349 posts | 6394 
      Reply #517: Mar 28, 2023 07:42:57 pm
      Why are you bringing the owners into it 🤷‍♂️

Because I've never seen someone that has such an aversion to someone speaking badly of the ownership of this club as you. It's like you are allergic to the the thought that maybe we'd be better off with different ownership that had a greater connection to the club, cared more about winning and less about financial statements. Either way, not going to argue with you about FSG, we all know you worship at their altar so it's not like it does any good.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,349 posts | 6394 
      Reply #518: Mar 28, 2023 07:44:34 pm

Fab and Gini both were, Gini maybe debatable in hindsight after how he fared at PSG so I'll give you that, but Fab isn't even a question. He was straight up the best defensive midfielder in the world for that stretch.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #519: Mar 28, 2023 07:45:24 pm
      I already stated above they dont have to be world class , but been as you asked it’s not such a simple question is it , as different people have a different perspective on world class , your definition of world class could vastly differ from mine , the same as countless people on here , we don’t all tend to look for the same qualities ,
      My train of thought is the last truly world class midfielder we had was Stevie but as I say that’s just my opinion,
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3445 
      Reply #520: Mar 28, 2023 07:45:47 pm
      Shoestring is when we are talking about adding a Bellingham and then a couple of other quality additions and you tighten up your sphincter and start spitting out how we can't afford that. Why can't we? Surely a club of our stature, as well run as we are financially (because you tell us every chance you get) can open up the wallet this summer to get us back on track with where we should be?

So figures - if the club has around ÂŁ150mil to spend is that shoestring now ? Shoestring means little does it not ?

And yes we are financed well by spending within the limits of the income.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3445 
      Reply #521: Mar 28, 2023 07:46:40 pm
      You said we can get 3 quality players for under ÂŁ150M so stop squealing around when you post sh*t.

Every man and his dog knows Jude will be north of ÂŁ10OM so name me 2 “quality” players for ÂŁ25M each Mr Analytical 🤣
      We can get 3 players of quality for under ÂŁ150mol
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #522: Mar 28, 2023 07:47:38 pm
      We can get 3 players of quality for under ÂŁ150mol

Name one for under ÂŁ50M

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3445 
      Reply #523: Mar 28, 2023 07:47:52 pm
      Because I've never seen someone that has such an aversion to someone speaking badly of the ownership of this club as you. It's like you are allergic to the the thought that maybe we'd be better off with different ownership that had a greater connection to the club, cared more about winning and less about financial statements. Either way, not going to argue with you about FSG, we all know you worship at their altar so it's not like it does any good.

I haven’t mentioned the owners - you did , I’m talking about signings and yet you bring the owners into it
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3445 
      Reply #524: Mar 28, 2023 07:49:57 pm

Rabiot
      Tielemans
      Neves
      MacAllister
      Dias
      Pallinha
      Gallacher

Sorry another edit - Gravenburch
      « Last Edit: Mar 28, 2023 07:56:32 pm by Lallana in Pyjamas »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3445 
      Reply #525: Mar 28, 2023 07:53:46 pm
      I already stated above they dont have to be world class , but been as you asked it’s not such a simple question is it , as different people have a different perspective on world class , your definition of world class could vastly differ from mine , the same as countless people on here , we don’t all tend to look for the same qualities ,
      My train of thought is the last truly world class midfielder we had was Stevie but as I say that’s just my opinion,

None of our midfielders were what anyone would call world class -they were always more functional , Fabinho did an excellent job but there were better DM out there.

We could bring in 3 quality players that will do the job

I still think Bellingham will arrive but I hope it’s not spending all the budget on him - it has to be someone else as a bare minimum

So for me if we have ÂŁ150mil as example to spend then I would that be used on 3 players as opposed to just Bellingham
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #526: Mar 28, 2023 08:15:27 pm
      Rabiot
      Tielemans
      Neves
      MacAllister
      Dias
      Pallinha
      Gallacher

Sorry another edit - Gravenburch

Go to bed you are clearly on crack - quality 🤣🤣

If you are a mid table team maybe we want to compete for titles yah tit.

Edit : clearly clueless as Mac Allister won’t go for less than £70M
      Similar for Neves
      « Last Edit: Mar 28, 2023 08:21:12 pm by HScRed1 »
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #527: Mar 28, 2023 08:20:55 pm
      None of our midfielders were what anyone would call world class -they were always more functional , Fabinho did an excellent job but there were better DM out there.

We could bring in 3 quality players that will do the job

I still think Bellingham will arrive but I hope it’s not spending all the budget on him - it has to be someone else as a bare minimum

So for me if we have ÂŁ150mil as example to spend then I would that be used on 3 players as opposed to just Bellingham
      This is purely on a selfish level and I make no apology for it , but I’ve been supporting this club since circa 72 and my old man a long before that , I’ve seen the barren times , my old man dosent have a great deal of time left to watch us play , and my wish is for his last memory’s of us playing are of joyful times , on that basis I want our owners to deliver the goods and a team that can fight for it all , if that’s £150 or more so be it , selfish maybe but watching the reds play has been one of the constants I’ve had with my dad , if I had my way I’d have the owners break the bank and have a last hurrah for my dad to watch , maybe that’s why I get so pissed off when I’m told we only have 30 bob to spend .
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,441 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #528: Mar 28, 2023 08:21:30 pm
      Go to bed you are clearly on crack - quality 🤣🤣

If you are a mid table team maybe we want to compete for titles yah tit.

Who would you suggest ?

Quick Reply