Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Alisson Becker (AS Roma)

Read 133779 times
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,012 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Re: Alisson Becker (AS Roma)
      Reply #322: Jun 12, 2018 07:03:17 pm
      Think a good argument (based on your analysis) could be made to spend that money on another "VVD" like center back. (although I'm not against another world class attacker either).

Both would be ideal. If say I only have 100m to spend then I'd rather do it on a CB to play alon VVD or a replacement for Cou, both would be better options than to pay that much amount of money on a keeper.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #323: Jun 12, 2018 07:25:37 pm
      Exactly mate, how much is De Gea worth over the last three seasons for the mancs?
      The games and money he has single handed saved for them in that time scale cannot be calculated.
      It is really unbelievable that Pepe was forced out over some wage structure issue and the same financial issues have prevented his skill and experience being replaced and by f**k has it cost the club dear?

The short term, false economy strategy that saw us falter in the last 8 years appeared to have been rectified with some quality signings yet if this is not seen through with some obvious weaknesses corrected, we are back to square one.

If we had De Gea we would have won silverware last Season. I like Karius, i really do but he is not yet ready, we can't win things with a keeper who still has many deficiencies to iron out. The Premier League is not the place to be blooding a keeper. Both Mignolet and Karius are error prone keepers, Mignolet cannot evolve but Karius can. I'm a massive fan of Ward but Klopp doesn't really seem to rate him, i'd have gone with Ward over Karius last Season.

This! 80M is better spent on a really good attacker who can set up and score goals than on a goalkeeper.

Will you listen to yourself? You sound like Kevin Keegan!!

You'll win F**k all without a rock solid defence. Nearly all great sides are built from the back. Look at our most famous and successful sides.

Probably because we don't want to get into an auction with Real Madrid, who seem to be favourites from all reports I've heard or read in last couple of days to land Alisson.

Said it after the final and I'll say it again, Klopp will stick with Karius and we'll either make Ward the number 2 or buy a back up keeper.

I'm tending to disagree with you slightly here Huyton, to a degree. The fact that we are looking for a keeper leans toward the possibility that Klopp does not favour Karius. On the other hand the fact that Klopp will not be bent over by another Club on a fair valuation leads me to believe he will stick with Karius if he can't get the right keeper for the right price and i'd back him on that.
      Kopite78
      Reply #324: Jun 12, 2018 07:29:34 pm
      Think a good argument (based on your analysis) could be made to spend that money on another "VVD" like center back. (although I'm not against another world class attacker either).

Both would be ideal. If say I only have 100m to spend then I'd rather do it on a CB to play alon VVD or a replacement for Cou, both would be better options than to pay that much amount of money on a keeper.

I'm not sure how the biggest gain from the two is buying a cb over a forward option

Does the cb help us score in the 5 games where we don't get a goal?

I reiterate again since October we have the best defence and most clean sheets in the league
      Over the course of this style of league you're more likely to win the league by turning the draws to wins and looking at games we dropped points along with the defensive record from October I can understand the logic of putting funds into winning games rather than not losing them

I'm trying to think how the manager thinks..  and equally in turn how the manager of the league winners thinks
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #325: Jun 12, 2018 07:33:41 pm
      I'm not sure how the biggest gain from the two is buying a cb over a forward option

Does the cb help us score in the 5 games where we don't get a goal?

If you're spending a lot of money on a striker, who does he replace, Bobby, Mane or Salah?

Kopite78
      Reply #326: Jun 12, 2018 07:47:36 pm
      If you're spending a lot of money on a striker, who does he replace, Bobby, Mane or Salah?

Does he have to replace? Can we not just have strength in depth? To rotate and change if games aren't going our way? In those games there from memory Mane missed utd at home. We started Ings  and Solanke against Stoke and West Brom? Changes also in the derby.
      Wouldn't it be good to have some real depth to win those?

In some of the others likes Newcastle away when it's not going our way or Burnley at home (sure Mane misses that too) then bringing on a top quality option to win the games from the bench
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #327: Jun 12, 2018 07:51:24 pm
      We dropped 14 points from winning positions (Newcastle, Spurs (twice), Arsenal (2-0 up), WBA (2-0 up again), Everton, Chelsea and Watford) whilst we dropped 14 points in the six games we didn't score in (City was just a freak result so I've left it out) so you can look at it both ways about which area needs improving most.

Bottom line for me is that the need for a keeper, attacking mid and forward are all equal. We need quality in all three areas to push on and challenge City.
      Kopite78
      Reply #328: Jun 12, 2018 07:59:39 pm
      We dropped 14 points from winning positions (Newcastle, Spurs (twice), Arsenal (2-0 up), WBA (2-0 up again), Everton, Chelsea and Watford) whilst we dropped 11 points in the five games we didn't score in so you can look at it both ways about what area needs improving most.

Bottom line for me is that the need for a keeper, attacking mid and forward are all equal. We need quality in all three areas to push on and challenge City.

I'm just adding context and also the angle I believe the manager takes

We actually don't score in 6 this season that are tight
      Utd
      West Brom
      Everton
      Stoke
      Swansea (L)
      Chelsea (L) 

The ones you say we drop points from winning positions we only score one in for the most part whereas we could have put the game to bed by getting another

I genuinely think Klopp and Pep think scoring goals and being front foot are key to winning leagues and perversely defending better (because they are scared to attack you)

Again people seem to forget we have the best defence and most clean sheets in the league from the end of October to the end of the season
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #329: Jun 12, 2018 08:02:31 pm
      Does he have to replace? Can we not just have strength in depth? To rotate and change if games aren't going our way? In those games there from memory Mane missed utd at home. We started Ings  and Solanke against Stoke and West Brom? Changes also in the derby.
      Wouldn't it be good to have some real depth to win those?

In some of the others likes Newcastle away when it's not going our way or Burnley at home (sure Mane misses that too) then bringing on a top quality option to win the games from the bench

But if you're spending a shitload of money on a player, he's gonna expect to be a first teamer, not getting splinters in his arse.

That's why we're doing a deal for Shaqiri, a player that can come off the bench.
      Kopite78
      Reply #330: Jun 12, 2018 08:08:40 pm
      But if you're spending a shitload of money on a player, he's gonna expect to be a first teamer, not getting splinters in his arse.

That's why we're doing a deal for Shaqiri, a player that can come off the bench.

If all goes to plan next season we will play upwards of 70 games.. no need for splinters
      Convince them, plenty of games to go round, offer them enough cash

My view is we get the best we can.. if Shaqiri the best we can get fair enough..
      I'd hope we can get better though.

I'm not necessarily talking a striker anyway. When Coutinho was here we found games for the four of them fine.
      Coutinho played as a wide left forward and in midfield

The more better players we have the better chance we have of winning the league

I'm not convinced we are doing a deal for Shaqiri anyway, if we were it would be easy.. buy out clause, he would want to come..
      No movement doesn't suggest to me that's where we are heading. No need to wait if so as it's as straight forward as they come
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #331: Jun 12, 2018 08:13:25 pm
      If all goes to plan next season we will play upwards of 70 games.. no need for splinters
      Convince them, plenty of games to go round, offer them enough cash

My view is we get the best we can.. if Shaqiri the best we can get fair enough..
      I'd hope we can get better though.

I'm not necessarily talking a striker anyway. When Coutinho was here we found games for the four of them fine.
      Coutinho played as a wide left forward and in midfield

The more better players we have the better chance we have of winning the league

I'm not convinced we are doing a deal for Shaqiri anyway, if we were it would be easy.. buy out clause, he would want to come..
      No movement doesn't suggest to me that's where we are heading. No need to wait if so as it's as straight forward as they come

World cup perhaps putting things on hold
      Kopite78
      Reply #332: Jun 12, 2018 08:16:04 pm
      World cup perhaps putting things on hold

Shiqiri?

Maybe now yeah but why not a week ago? Two weeks ago like with Fabinho? If we wanted him it would be done.. the buy out clause is there we don't have to mess around trying to negotiate
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #333: Jun 12, 2018 08:53:52 pm

You could sell it to a player like Pulisc or others that are still young enough (and LFC is a big enough club) to where they could get they're game time knowing in a few years they will be starting XI.

Klopp likes versatility ...that's why Fekir would have been great because he could play in the front 3 or play #10...you can move pieces around enough where players got their game time and didn't get splinters.
      danaxe
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #334: Jun 12, 2018 09:46:39 pm
      This!! A keeper is just as important as any outfield player that clubs would happily spend that kind of money on. For some reason there is this belief though that keepers shouldn’t be going for that kind of money.

Top class keepers don't bring in as much money as let's say a top class striker when it comes to sales of supporter items such as match jerseys etc.

Look at Oblak vs Griezman or Messi vs Ter Stegen or Navas vs Ronaldo or Karius vs Salah.. The latter in all of these scenarios will bring in money to the club resulting in that clubs are more keen to pay more extensive fees.

Buying Salah for 39 mil has probably already generated a couple of mil so far^^
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #335: Jun 13, 2018 07:06:05 am

Again people seem to forget we have the best defence and most clean sheets in the league from the end of October to the end of the season

The only problem with this is that the League starts in August, not November. Not trying to be pedantic. i'm just saying. I don't think we can pin our title aspirations on the shoulders of Karius this Season, i genuinely feel he's not ready yet.

Whether it's Alisson, Donnarumma, Courtois, Butland or Oblak, we need to go out and get a top quality keeper.

Just a question, would you feel comfortable going into the Season with Karius as number one?

Kopite78
      Reply #336: Jun 13, 2018 07:09:16 am
      The only problem with this is that the League starts in August, not November.

Yes I know but it shows the improvement and growth happening under the manager

Just a question, would you feel comfortable going into the Season with Karius as number one?

I've honestly got to the stage where I don't worry about it.
      I trust the manager implicitly and whatever way he chooses to spend his budget to get the best possible season I'm more than happy and comfortable with
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #337: Jun 13, 2018 07:41:47 am
      Yes I know but it shows the improvement and growth happening under the manager

I agree with you completely on this point but there is still much room for improvement. A top class keeper and a top class centre back to partner van Dijk are crucial acquisitions in my opinion.

I trust the manager implicitly and whatever way he chooses to spend his budget to get the best possible season I'm more than happy and comfortable with

That's not the question i asked you Kopite !! ;D ;D ;D

I didn't ask you if you trusted Klopp to make the right decision regarding the keeper.

I asked you if you are comfortable going into the Season with Karius as number one? If you were the manager would you stick with Karius or would you look to get in a top class keeper?

I look forward to your response.  :D

Thank You.
      « Last Edit: Jun 13, 2018 08:01:09 am by hardcoresoldier »
      Kopite78
      Reply #338: Jun 13, 2018 08:15:39 am
      I agree with you completely on this point but there is still much room for improvement. A top class keeper and a top class centre back to partner van Dijk are crucial acquisitions in my opinion.

That's not the question i asked you Kopite !! ;D ;D ;D

I didn't ask you if you trusted Klopp to make the right decision regarding the keeper.

I asked you if you are comfortable going into the Season with Karius as number one? If you were the manager would you stick with Karius or would you look to get in a top class keeper?

I look forward to your response.  :D

Thank You.

You have my response mate

I don't care.. I'm getting too old to worry about transfers..  I leave that for my lad now.

If Karius is still number one sound..

If not.. sound

👍
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #339: Jun 13, 2018 08:45:02 am

I don't care.. I'm getting too old to worry about transfers..  I leave that for my lad now.

If not.. sound

👍

That's a great zen like attitude but are you honestly saying you'd be happy if we didn't sign any more players and instead sold Salah, Mane etc as long as Jürgen ok"d it?
      Kopite78
      Reply #340: Jun 13, 2018 08:57:18 am
      That's a great zen like attitude but are you honestly saying you'd be happy if we didn't sign any more players and instead sold Salah, Mane etc as long as Jürgen ok"d it?

Is that what I said or intimated?

I'll help you..  it wasn't 👍
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #341: Jun 13, 2018 09:06:50 am

If not.. sound

👍
      it's this part time fan attitude that let Klopp line up with garbage like Moreno so long. If you don't care, you still shouldn't be leaving it all to one man. Klopps proven to be reluctant and stubborn at times.

If Karius is still number one and has a sh*te season and we win nothing, Klopp will be criticized. The chairman will be delighted with just making top four for profits, fans will be divided again.

We don't want to be Arsenal, we need rid of migs and get a top keeper for Karius to compete with.
      « Last Edit: Jun 13, 2018 09:15:15 am by Ribapuru »
      Kopite78
      Reply #342: Jun 13, 2018 09:20:03 am
      it's this part time fan attitude that let Klopp line up with garbage like Moreno so long. If you don't care fine, but don't go leaving it all to one man. Klopps proven to be reluctant and stubborn at times.

Part time fan? F**k you you bad tit.

How many season tickets do you pay for? How many games do you get to?
      How many memberships?
      How many away a you do?
      I'm not one for one upmanship generally but f**k off with the part time fan bollocks

I think my effort as a fan going to games, cheering for the lads we have out there, putting thousands of pounds a season into the club it Is probably more weighty than if I simply sat here wringing my hands over who the manager brings in.
      Part f**king time

What's it really going to do if I get wound up by transfers? You think Klopp or the scouts read this? Change their view on their ideas based on you saying we need a different left back?
      He's a smart football manager who works with a budget and with the individual characters daily, who knows more than you, not only in terms of overall football but as to how he can get the balance and how he can stretch his budget the best possible way. He knows every single inside decision  within the club that you or me don't.

Part f**king time.

I'll say it again, he manager has a budget, as long as he spends it I'm happy for him to build his squad that he feels will best challenge for the league title..
      So no I wouldn't be f**king happy if he signed no one  else and sold Salah Bobby and Mane because that's f**king mental and is never going to happen but if he has 100m left to spend or whatever and he decides that buying two forwards, a cb but no keeper is what he feels best then f**king sound.. me howling at the moon isn't going to change it.
      As long as he spends it sound

I'll be there in the first day of the season singing my heart out for whoever he plays and giving my full support to Karius should he still be between the sticks so f**k right off with your part time fan bollocks

If Karius is still number one and has a sh*te season and we win nothing, Klopp will be criticized. The chairman will be delighted with just making top four for profits, fans will be divided again.

You keep banging on about this fans divided sh*te, maybe you say in Leicester on your own but I don't know one that goes to the game who's divided on Klopp
      « Last Edit: Jun 13, 2018 09:24:06 am by Kopite78 »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #343: Jun 13, 2018 10:15:06 am

How many memberships?
      How many away a you do?
      I'm not one for one upmanship generally but f**k off with the part time fan bollocks

I think my effort as a fan going to games, cheering for the lads we have out there, putting thousands of pounds a season into the club it Is probably more weighty than if I simply sat here wringing my hands over who the manager brings in.
      Part f**king time

What's it really going to do if I get wound up by transfers? You think Klopp or the scouts read this? Change their view on their ideas based on you saying we need a different left back?
      He's a smart football manager who works with a budget and with the individual characters daily, who knows more than you, not only in terms of overall football but as to how he can get the balance and how he can stretch his budget the best possible way. He knows every single inside decision  within the club that you or me don't.

Part f**king time.

I'll say it again, he manager has a budget, as long as he spends it I'm happy for him to build his squad that he feels will best challenge for the league title..
      So no I wouldn't be f**king happy if he signed no one  else and sold Salah Bobby and Mane because that's f**king mental and is never going to happen but if he has 100m left to spend or whatever and he decides that buying two forwards, a cb but no keeper is what he feels best then f**king sound.. me howling at the moon isn't going to change it.

I'll be there in the first day of the season singing my heart out for whoever he plays and giving my full support to Karius should he still be between the sticks so f**k right off with your part time fan bollocks

You keep banging on about this fans divided sh*te, maybe you say in Leicester on your own but I don't know one that goes to the game who's divided on Klopp
      You must have had steam coming out year ears when you wrote all that.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #344: Jun 13, 2018 10:32:04 am

How many memberships?
      How many away a you do?

Part f**king time

Part f**king time.

So you're saying you're not a part time fan then!  ;D

Quick Reply