Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Linesman fist pumps Spurs penalty

Read 18705 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Linesman fist pumps Spurs penalty
      Reply #92: Feb 05, 2018 02:53:14 pm
      A VAR is not interested in how the contact was initiated. Nor are the refs that have had their say since. They just look for contact by the defender on the opponent. When they see it, they tell the ref that it has happened and what to do about it.

No that's not correct, if for example an attacking player leaves a trailing leg trying to hook the defenders then that will of course be taken into consideration as will a player leaping into a defenders attempted clearance as was the case with Lamella and VVD. I honestly think with VAR neither penalty would be given
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #93: Feb 05, 2018 02:55:19 pm
      After seeing transcript, I figure perhaps the fist pump was in response to a late confirmation from Tyler that Lovren indeed touched the ball?
      I don't want to think an official could be that blatantly biased. If anything, I'm more enraged by the fact that Moss gave Spurs the benefits of the doubt on both occasions even though he had no f**king clue what happened.

Moss was probably still pissed off at all the heat he must have gotten from the last time he fu**ed us over. I loved the way the Spurs player didn't even get a talking to after a blatant high boot. The ref was very biased all match I thought.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,563 posts | 1497 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #94: Feb 05, 2018 03:00:13 pm
      I have never seen the media so in love with a referee performance  :lmao:
      Go into Google and everyone and their dog involved with the media is praising the assistant while ignoring all the transcripts etc... usually even when a referee has a good game they can find something to moan about, but strangely, this game that has caused loads of controversy between fans, is the best reffing they have ever seen  :lmao:
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #95: Feb 05, 2018 03:14:43 pm
      One of the biggest cheers I heard yesterday was an ironic one when the Ref finally gave A free kick to Salah in the first half. Says all you need to know about these officials!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,360 posts | 6399 
      Reply #96: Feb 05, 2018 03:43:40 pm
      There was contact. The first tv replay shown, proves it. There's no debate about it tbh. And when the lino flags up, there's even less debate.

If we have to see a penalty given per game next year, then that's the way it has to be. VVD isn't a cheat, he didn't look to con the ref, he went to genuinely clear the ball but he caught his opponent instead. There was only one possible outcome.

Contact doesn’t equal penalty. I can’t believe how many people don’t understand this.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,360 posts | 6399 
      Reply #97: Feb 05, 2018 03:54:22 pm
      One of the biggest cheers I heard yesterday was an ironic one when the Ref finally gave A free kick to Salah in the first half. Says all you need to know about these officials!

It was nice that Moss gave Davies I think it was a red card for the high boot on Mo. like the one he gave to Mane against City. Oh that’s right, he didn’t!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #98: Feb 05, 2018 05:29:18 pm
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #99: Feb 05, 2018 05:36:28 pm
      Referee Jon Moss was "misguided" when he asked fourth official Martin Atkinson if he had "anything from TV" during Tottenham's draw with Liverpool on Sunday, the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) says.

Moss was captured on camera speaking to Atkinson via his headset before awarding Spurs a penalty.

Harry Kane was felled by Reds goalkeeper Loris Karius, and Moss sought to clarify if he was offside.

Video assistant referee (VAR) was not in operation at Anfield.

"For the avoidance of doubt, Atkinson did not view a television monitor and did not relay any information to the on-field officials," PGMOL said in a statement.

More to follow.

AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,563 posts | 1497 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #100: Feb 05, 2018 05:42:24 pm
      Referee Jon Moss was "misguided" when he asked fourth official Martin Atkinson if he had "anything from TV" during Tottenham's draw with Liverpool on Sunday, the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) says.

Moss was captured on camera speaking to Atkinson via his headset before awarding Spurs a penalty.

Harry Kane was felled by Reds goalkeeper Loris Karius, and Moss sought to clarify if he was offside.

Video assistant referee (VAR) was not in operation at Anfield.

"For the avoidance of doubt, Atkinson did not view a television monitor and did not relay any information to the on-field officials," PGMOL said in a statement.

More to follow.

So that is admitting he gave a penalty he was not 100% on, which is against the law of the refs.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #101: Feb 05, 2018 05:52:54 pm
      Harry Kane felled by Karius, me arse. Watched the penos  a few times,took off the reds glasses but still no F***ing penalties for me.Just F***ing sh*te that this is all we have to remember about the game.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,872 posts | 704 
      Reply #102: Feb 05, 2018 06:09:12 pm
      Quote from FL Red
      Contact doesn’t equal penalty. I can’t believe how many people don’t understand this.

It's up to the defender to ensure there was no contact, that is zero. Once he felt the contact, he went down as players do, and got what he wanted as they usually do.

Compare it to the first penalty, where Karius is said to make contact to foul the opponent. He didn't make any contact at all, and was neither booked nor sent off, as usually happens in such instances. Why the ref pointed to the spot for it is for him to explain. ???

But it is Moss, who as we know from bitter experience, is one of the poorest refs in the league. He even asks the 4th official if he has tv evidence, knowing full well it is unavailable and even if it was, it can't be used anyway. If any ref needs VAR, it's him.
      « Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018 10:09:17 am by lfc across the water »
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,037 posts | 537 
      Reply #103: Feb 05, 2018 06:30:59 pm
      It's up to the defender to ensure there was no contact, that is zero. Once the VAR/ref pundits see the contact, that's all they're interested in and the decision in their eyes, is clearcut. You can argue the forward made the most of it if you like, it's a side issue really. He felt the contact, went down as players do, and got what he wanted as they usually do.

Compare it to the first penalty, where Karius is said to make contact to foul the opponent. He didn't make any contact at all, and was neither booked nor sent off, as usually happens in such instances. Why the ref pointed to the spot for it is for him to explain. ???

But it is Moss, who as we know from bitter experience, is one of the poorest refs in the league. He even asks the 4th official if he has tv evidence, knowing full well it is unavailable and even if it was, it can't be used anyway. If any ref needs VAR, it's him.

It is not "up to the defender to make sure there is no contact, that is zero". It is a contact sport.
      You are allowed to make contact with your opponent. If you trip him up or barge him over etc then it's a foul. If he leaves a leg trailing, or jumps into you and then falls over then it is not.

It sickens me the way this has been allowed to creep into the game, that if a player gets touched and goes over it's a foul. It's not in the rules of the game, never mind the spirit of it. Pundits etc all play along with it. (It's not even the players fault, they go down cos the refs keep rewarding them for going down. )

Anybody that goes down when they don't have to should be getting booked, at a minimum. They should absolutely not be getting rewarded for it. And the rest of us shouldn't be bullshitted into accepting that they should get rewarded for it.
      « Last Edit: Feb 05, 2018 07:02:47 pm by sore monad »
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #104: Feb 05, 2018 06:51:09 pm
      Clint linked to this in the match thread. Thought it deserved its own thread. The linesman fist pumps after the ref gives the first pen!

https://twitter.com/anfieldonline/status/960223070098206722

And here is a clear angle of the 2nd pen, where the same linesman actually overrules the ref's initial decision not to give it -

https://twitter.com/BSmith/status/960244420099665920

The guy has to be banned.

For the 2nd penalty, lamella backs into VVD. VVD does not go into Lamella but Lamella clears goes backwards.

sh*te cheating inept officials.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #105: Feb 05, 2018 07:16:10 pm
      As we probably all expected, the refs association completely backs the decisions of the officials.

Like they ever would acknowledge that foul play was indeed prevalent on last nights game. Cover up of some magnitude there and it reeks of bullshit!

I’ve contacted the club to see whether or not they’ll make a complaint regarding the information available to just about everyone. I’d like to think they’ll kick up a real stink, but I’ll hazard a guess now the refs have rallied together to claim all was perfect with their performance, that nothing will occur...

So frustrated and angry with it all still!!
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,872 posts | 704 
      Reply #106: Feb 05, 2018 07:19:43 pm
      Quote from sore monad
      It is not "up to the defender to make sure there is no contact, that is zero". It is a contact sport.
      You are allowed to make contact with your opponent. If you trip him up or barge him over etc then it's a foul. If he leaves a leg trailing, or jumps into you and then falls over then it is not.

It sickens me the way this has been allowed to creep into the game, that if a player gets touched and goes over it's a foul. It's not in the rules of the game, never mind the spirit of it. Pundits etc all play along with it. It's not even the players fault, they go down cos the refs keep rewarding them for going down.

Anybody that goes down when they don't have to should be getting booked, at a minimum. They should absolutely not be getting rewarded for it.

He went down because technically he was fouled. In our sport, you're allowed to win a tackle cleanly, you're not allowed to foul an opponent. You can argue all you want about the way he went down, but it doesn't make any odds, by then the damage is done. once a linesman flags for a challenge, the defender involved is toast.

It went in our favour in the two cup games recently when we got penalties for soft challenges. They might only be shirt pulls, and they might be soft, but by the letter of the law they are fouls, and therefore the ref has a job to do. Even if it takes 4 minutes to do it.
      « Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018 10:52:27 am by lfc across the water »
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #107: Feb 05, 2018 07:44:21 pm
      He went down because technically he was fouled. You put that incident in front of a VAR, and he will give a peno in 10 seconds flat. As I said before, once he sees the contact, however soft/slight, it's a slam dunk to him. They've all come out since and backed their mate up, one by one by one. So...

In our sport, you're allowed to win a tackle cleanly, you're not allowed to foul an opponent. You can argue all you want about the way he went down, but it doesn't make any odds, by then the damage is done. Once a linesman flags for a challenge, the defender involved is toast.

It went in our favour in the two cup games recently when we got penalties for soft challenges. They might only be shirt pulls, and they might be soft, but by the letter of the law they are fouls, and therefore the ref has a job to do. Even if it takes 4 minutes to do it.

Fact of the matter is, 9 out of 10 PL players will go down like a sack of spuds at the merest contact. It’s not the game we all fondly remember when we dominated everything. Unfortunately it’s moved on from that. The game needs to re-classified as a non contact sport, because let’s face it, to all intents and purposes, that’s what it’s become. The next stage in this “evolution” of football will be the removal of tackling. Only misplaced passes or interceptions will be the way to get the ball back. Think I’m joking, or going OTT? Don’t forget, they’re seriously considering getting rid of heading because of possible head trauma...

lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,872 posts | 704 
      Reply #108: Feb 05, 2018 07:58:17 pm
      And the ones that don't go down from being fouled are laughed at for being "too honest" these days.

When VAR does come in, a lot more handball shouts that look accidental, will be deemed "deliberate", and more aerial challenges will be penalised because of stray elbows. TV can speed incidents up slow then down, move them back and forward, and make them look more serious than they first look. It doesn't help though when you have managers crying for more "protection" for players.

I'm not blaming VVD for yesterday. He tried to genuinely clear it away, but caught the opponent. These things happen.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,852 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #109: Feb 05, 2018 08:02:42 pm
      The officials are a disgrace to the sport and should be held to account.When a player backs into a defender then falls over he should be booked ! These days you don't get awarded a penalty ,you win a penalty ! The FA should watch this game and take action
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #110: Feb 05, 2018 08:04:49 pm
      The officials are a disgrace to the sport and should be held to account.When a player backs into a defender then falls over he should be booked ! These days you don't get awarded a penalty ,you win a penalty ! The FA should watch this game and take action

Don’t forget, the FA approve the stupid rules...

molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #111: Feb 05, 2018 08:10:09 pm
      Fact of the matter is, 9 out of 10 PL players will go down like a sack of spuds at the merest contact. It’s not the game we all fondly remember when we dominated everything. Unfortunately it’s moved on from that. The game needs to re-classified as a non contact sport, because let’s face it, to all intents and purposes, that’s what it’s become. The next stage in this “evolution” of football will be the removal of tackling. Only misplaced passes or interceptions will be the way to get the ball back. Think I’m joking, or going OTT? Don’t forget, they’re seriously considering getting rid of heading because of possible head trauma...

Well said mate . Along with the ridiculous money in the game now it's turning to bollocks
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #112: Feb 05, 2018 08:17:41 pm

It sickens me the way this has been allowed to creep into the game, that if a player gets touched and goes over it's a foul. It's not in the rules of the game, never mind the spirit of it. Pundits etc all play along with it. (It's not even the players fault, they go down cos the refs keep rewarding them for going down. )

Anybody that goes down when they don't have to should be getting booked, at a minimum. They should absolutely not be getting rewarded for it. And the rest of us shouldn't be bullshitted into accepting that they should get rewarded for it.

At last somebody speaks about the underlying issue here.

Yes Moss again proved himself inept (biased?).
      Yes the fist-pump looks bad and was a bad thing for an official to do. (But I'm with Green_bear - I doubt he was celebrating anything more than getting confirmation from the 4th official that Lovren had touched the ball, thus vindicating the penno award by Moss, as he saw it).

The real issue for me isn't biased officiating, its cheating, diving players and the TV conspiracy that continues to defend them.  I'm not exempting our players from that either, its woven into the culture of the modern game and it stinks.

I could give up on footbal sometimes, I really could. It makes me so frustrated when a colossal piece of skill like Salah's late goal is negated by a blatant and cynical cheat like Lamela literally sticking his arse backwards into Virgil's already-moving thigh and screaming into a theatrical collapse.  Watch the many angles of this on twitter etc and you'll see.  Don't even get me started on Kane's dive.

I thought matches were being reviewed to punish cheating, diving or 'simulation' as it's anaemically called, and fine or ban players after the event.  Has anyone actually heard of this happening?  I haven't.  It seems to me that the media and the FA (in the pocket of the PL and SKY) WANT to encourage cheating like this because it gives the bas**rd pundits something to talk about and generate clickbait and viewing figures.  It's not in their interest to clean up this pathetic aspect of the game.  I'm sick of it.  Players should be looked at to see if a hand on the shoulder, a tug or a slight nudge is sufficient for the ridiculous swallow-dive and triple-salco-with-wailing and gnashing-of-teeth, and ban the muppet for at least 3 games.
      And if Neville or Savage tell me its just a player being 'clever' again I'll smash the tv through the bl**din' wall!

But the officials (with no VAR) get ONE CHANCE to see it and in real time.  The only people who NEED to know what happened to make a decision get far less information than THE ENTIRE WATCHING WORLD upon which to base that decision!  Of course they mess up!  VAR is absolutely vital, and must be made to work.  Ban the cheating ****s.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #113: Feb 05, 2018 08:24:46 pm
      At last somebody speaks about the underlying issue here.

Yes Moss again proved himself inept (biased?).
      Yes the fist-pump looks bad and was a bad thing for an official to do. (But I'm with Green_bear - I doubt he was celebrating anything more than getting confirmation from the 4th official that Lovren had touched the ball, thus vindicating the penno award by Moss, as he saw it).

The real issue for me isn't biased officiating, its cheating, diving players and the TV conspiracy that continues to defend them.  I'm not exempting our players from that either, its woven into the culture of the modern game and it stinks.

I could give up on footbal sometimes, I really could. It makes me so frustrated when a colossal piece of skill like Salah's late goal is negated by a blatant and cynical cheat like Lamela literally sticking his arse backwards into Virgil's already-moving thigh and screaming into a theatrical collapse.  Watch the many angles of this on twitter etc and you'll see.  Don't even get me started on Kane's dive.

I thought matches were being reviewed to punish cheating, diving or 'simulation' as it's anaemically called, and fine or ban players after the event.  Has anyone actually heard of this happening?  I haven't.  It seems to me that the media and the FA (in the pocket of the PL and SKY) WANT to encourage cheating like this because it gives the bas**rd pundits something to talk about and generate clickbait and viewing figures.  It's not in their interest to clean up this pathetic aspect of the game.  I'm sick of it.  Players should be looked at to see if a hand on the shoulder, a tug or a slight nudge is sufficient for the ridiculous swallow-dive and triple-salco-with-wailing and gnashing-of-teeth, and ban the muppet for at least 3 games.
      And if Neville or Savage tell me its just a player being 'clever' again I'll smash the tv through the bl**din' wall!

But the officials (with no VAR) get ONE CHANCE to see it and in real time.  The only people who NEED to know what happened to make a decision get far less information than THE ENTIRE WATCHING WORLD upon which to base that decision!  Of course they mess up!  VAR is absolutely vital, and must be made to work.  Ban the cheating ****s.

Spot on
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #114: Feb 05, 2018 08:55:28 pm

There was no confirmation from the 4th official over the decision. They’ve taken it into their own hands, which is wrong on every level...

Quick Reply