Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man Utd?

Loris Karius
      4 (5.3%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      8 (10.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      22 (28.9%)
      Emre Can
      8 (10.5%)
      James Milner
      7 (9.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      13 (17.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      11 (14.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: Mar 14, 2018 02:25:31 pm

Manchester United 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24744 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Manchester United 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #575: Mar 10, 2018 03:58:08 pm
      Sh*t day, seen far too much of maureens teams to expect anything else from their olympic level shithousery, the timewasting , spoiling and downright cheating. As for us too long to get going, not enough precision in the game and lacked a cutting edge against a packed defence, just too many wrong decisions today

Hopefully the arrival of Keita in the summer will spark the creativity to create something more from the midfield in games like these.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,281 posts | 931 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #576: Mar 10, 2018 04:00:56 pm
      No midfield today Ox and Can went missing we didn't play well but the difference today was that they have the winning mentality we bottled it and and let two soft goals in and it was all uphill from there
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #577: Mar 10, 2018 04:09:12 pm
      I think someone that's not Lovren should've been on the Lukaku case. Probably VVD or even Can. Lovren got exposed quite badly.

Other than that, as has been said before, our midfield I feel is decent, but far (faaaaaaaar) from great and can go missing on important games. I also feel that, despite looking really promising, TAA is still young and is always gonna be targeted by smart managers. Him playing on the same side as Lovren is probably not helping the issue.

Oh well, winning at the toilet has never been easy. I thought we had a chance given our lattest form, but Mourinho -like him or not- is not stupid.

Let's focus on securing a top 4 finish!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #578: Mar 10, 2018 04:09:35 pm
      No midfield today Ox and Can went missing we didn't play well but the difference today was that they have the winning mentality we bottled it and and let two soft goals in and it was all uphill from there

I agree to an extent, you can add Milner to that list too imo. But you have to remember, we were playing Mourinho at his home, every team in world football would probably struggle to break him down. He really is the master at stifling world class attacks.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #579: Mar 10, 2018 04:19:58 pm
      Referee. Second half. Disgrace.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #580: Mar 10, 2018 04:23:36 pm
      What about the first half? Rashford could have had two red cards.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,367 posts | 1416 
      Reply #581: Mar 10, 2018 05:10:44 pm
      I agree that we have a relatively easy to medium run in. I said we'd need every point of the 7 point gap we had over Chelsea before the kick off. I mean we still have that gap and C. Palace can be unpredictable. Nearly did JoMo.

Today, well we can't be to hard on TAA, harsh lesson but I think he has enough about him to learn from this. Lovren on t'other hand...just not strong enough in the air...say no more.

We just have to suck it up and move on.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #582: Mar 10, 2018 05:12:14 pm

At the old toilet, no surprise.

Harrisimo

• 8,367 posts | 1416 
      Reply #583: Mar 10, 2018 05:15:49 pm
      What about the first half? Rashford could have had two red cards.

The high challenge by Valencia was borderline Red card. If it had been one of ours Pawson would have sent him off. We get very little from him but Rashford took a yellow card, no more than that.

Wasn't a dirty game by any means, probably because they were winning.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 103 
      Reply #584: Mar 10, 2018 05:35:20 pm
      First time we missed lil Phil I’d say and a wee bit of something different
      Harrisimo

• 8,367 posts | 1416 
      Reply #585: Mar 10, 2018 05:47:06 pm
      Just wonder whether we would've got a penalty by VAR....when Young pulled at Salah's shirt. Wasn't a massive tug but nevertheless.

Niffty flick by Firmino, Salah got goal side of Young...Young pulles at Mo's arm and a slight tug at his shirt...but could've put Mo off balance. Creative player that Mo is, relies on balance. Get a knock or a pull in the area....may be.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,601 posts | 1682 
      • YNWA
      Reply #586: Mar 10, 2018 05:56:26 pm
      Argh, gutted with that result. And the performance too tbh.

They played like the away team, let us have the ball, knocked the ball long to Lukaka and fed on the scraps. Caveman stuff, but effective unfortunately :(  Rashford took his goals well in fairness.
      They were constantly pulling and dragging the lads up front, little fouls, and if we weren't so honest could've had a peno or two. The last 20 mins were scrappy as F**k, stopping and starting, them time wasting and falling over, jayzus it was a frustrating watch.

Whatever about Utd, we never clicked up front. Salah had his quietest game for us. Mane got on the ball a lot and tried hard and crossed for the goal, but his passing wasn't great. Firmino too, flicking it in spaces that were too tight, when could maybe have taken it on a tried to get a shot in. The combinations just didn't come off.

Thought AOC was a bit unlucky to get subbed, didn't do too bad, and Lallana looks a bit lightweight since injury. Not sure why VVD was not on Lukaku? Lovren got done few times. TAA got a bit exposed, but gave the MOTM to Robertson on the other side who was comfortable all game. Not Milners best game, thought Emre did well enough.

SOOO F***ing annoying. Moaninho knows how to squeeze the F***ing life out of game. It's sore on the eyes, but he got his 3 points - thought draw would've been the right result on the day. Don't think we closed them down like we did against City, just lacked that extra bit of tempo.

Just need to put it behind us and move on.
      What happened Hendo? Was he on the bench? Surprised didn't see him come on.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,601 posts | 1682 
      • YNWA
      Reply #587: Mar 10, 2018 05:57:30 pm
      Just wonder whether we would've got a penalty by VAR....when Young pulled at Salah's shirt. Wasn't a massive tug but nevertheless.

Niffty flick by Firmino, Salah got goal side of Young...Young pulles at Mo's arm and a slight tug at his shirt...but could've put Mo off balance. Creative player that Mo is, relies on balance. Get a knock or a pull in the area....may be.

Mo goes down at the right time there, it was a peno.
      Don't blame him though for not going down. Will leave the diving to the little f**ker Young.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #588: Mar 10, 2018 06:01:59 pm
      Hate to give Mourinho credit ( believe me I really hate to say anything nice about the c##t) but he won the tactical battle today. Targeted AA and Lovren, and triple teamed Salah and Bobby. I don't think D'Gea had a save to make the whole game.

Hard to take but we go again.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #589: Mar 10, 2018 06:09:56 pm

I think we'd still be waiting for a decision knowing VAR.

Two problems today from what I saw. TAA making a mistake, well he's a kid at the beginning of his career and has played excellently up to now so I'm sure he'll learn and get over it, but there are no such excuses from other players. Midfield wasn't great but I thought Milner needed to take the lead out of his boots. Say what you want about Henderson but his range of passing is the best we have in there and I'm mystified as to why we played him mid-week and not for this game. I thought we really missed him today.

The other main problem is one that's common; heads fell off after they scored their first. Game management was again lacking. Just slow the damn game down, get control of the ball and take the sting out of the game, then begin to play yourself back into the game. It was early enough in the match that we could have come back and won the game, but yet again we go to pieces and they score a second.

Still, all that being said, this doesn't feel like a disastrous result and I don't see it adversely affecting our season. It's important fan's heads don't fall off as a result because we can still have anywhere from a decent to a phenomenal season. The lads need to get back up, dust themselves down, and smash Watford at home next week, and we take another step towards finishing in the top 4. We feel like a club on the up, United look about ready to implode with Maureen already falling out with players and press and taking potshots at fans. Sure I'd like to finish above United in 2nd but it doesn't make that much of a difference given the Champions League changes next year.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,130 posts | 127 
      Reply #590: Mar 10, 2018 07:15:47 pm
      Some over the top, knee-jerk comments here and only read a couple pages.

We bottled it, simple as that. First defeat in however long in the league but by the sound of some comments you’d think we were in sh*t form and spiralling out of control.

Ultimately, the 5 points dropped vs the Mancs will probably be what costs us 2nd place this season.

We had the chances to score more but didn’t take them, we had the possession too and if you can’t make both of them things count, you don’t really deserve to win and can’t complain to much about failing to do so. If we were played off the park and dominated by them I’d be more concerned, if anything, this result just goes to show we still have a way to go and still need some vital reinforcements to compete.

Agree,     everyone is naming names, but it was'nt just them, the pace was'nt there, the fluid movement, they were walking with the ball, and passing was atrocious.  Trying to do the perfect pass through a tight defence instead of playing wide etc etc.  Jürgen was outplayed today
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #591: Mar 10, 2018 07:18:20 pm
      This isn't a knee jerk. I know we've been playing well of late but a few points need addressing here.

I had one issue with the starting 11 and that was Milner. Forget about his work horse attitude or how many assists he's got in the champions league this season playing against pub teams, he just isn't good enough at this level. He doesn't have the quality required to play in a Jürgen klopp team.

Now if we had Rafa as manager and we were going to Real Madrid or Barcelona then I'd have milner in the team all day long doing a man marking job. He would be our dirk Kuyt if you like. But under klopp we need much more mobility, much more pace, much more quality from the middle.  Other than that, I was ready to rock n roll.

First five or ten minutes we did ok. We kept the ball and united sat back almost afraid of us. Then one kick up the pitch from de gea and they expose dejan Lovren for what he is, a very poor centre half, and all hell breaks loose. Lukaku beats Lovren in the air, he doesn't just beat him, he bullies him. The ball falls to rashford who turns young Trent inside out who's all over the place it has to be said. I'll have to watch it again but I thought at the time it was very poor covering from VVD too, he did nothing to help his full back out, and then Karius had no chance. 1-0 down from nothing. Just poor, school boy defending yet again.

Ten minutes later the same thing happened again. Lukaku bullies Lovren and wins the ball, were all over the place at the back, the ball eventually falls to rashford who makes it 2-0. It was just comical. Typical us. So frustrating after we've done so much better at the back recently.

HT comes and I can honestly say it was one of the worst halfs of football I've seen from a liverpool team. It was men against boys. In that first 45 minutes, Bobby aside, nobody gave a F**k. The back four were playing like school boys, the midfield was invisible, mane and salah couldn't get in the game and it was only bobby working and at least regaining possession for us.

Second half starts and it's obviously an uphill task. We're 2-0 down away from home against the most miserable boring negative manager in history. We saw a lot of the ball but to be honest they were happy to let us have it. We were doing nothing with it and it was a freak own goal that saw us get back into the game. I don't think any liverpool player was going to score today in truth.

We were trying to hard in the final third to find that killer pass. We were almost trying to walk the ball in the goal at times. Sometimes you just need somebody to have a shot. You never know de gea could spill or it could take a wicked deflection or anything.

Rather than be so narrow we need to get the ball out wide more in these kind of games. It's how we scored our goal.

Failing that, we can also go long and direct which isn't everybody's cup of tea but it can also be effective. We just have no plan B at all and its so frustrating when plan A isn't working.

I thought klopp was using his plan B when he brought big Dom on. I thought here we go, we're going to go full Wimbledon here and start launching the ball into the box. But no. Instead he took off Robertson who is probably the best crosser we have and Trent.  I know Trent was having an absolute nightmare but if you're going to put a big centre forward on then leave him on for gods sake.

As I said this isn't a knee jerk. We've done really well this season and we keep improving under klopp. But there's some brutal truths that people need to accept here.

Firstly Lovren. Yet again in a big game he falls to pieces. Spurs away was probably the worst performance I've ever seen from a liverpool centre half and he wasn't any better today. Put him up against Jon Walters or somebody like that then he can look ok at times. Put him up against any decent forward and he crumbles. The bloke needs to go. Isn't good enough end of.

Neither is Trent. It's not that he isn't good enough, he's just so inexperienced to play at this level. The lads been playing well recently but he showed again today he can't cut it at this level just yet.

I've been banging my drum for as long as I can remember about our centre mids. None of them are good enough. Similar to Lovren, put them up against some dross who play for West Ham then they look ok. Our attackers often bails them out as they usually blast teams away by themselves but put them up against a proper team and you can see they're not good enough.

I don't get the love for emre Can from so many of our supporters. I don't understand why so many are desperate for him to stay. He has a good game every 3 or 4 matches and is sh*t for the rest.

He didn't play today but many know I don't rate our skipper. Milner isn't good enough. I thought we did better when gini came on today but he isn't consistent enough. Ox is ok but in these type of games he stinks the place out. If you don't give him half a pitch to run into then he offers you nothing. He is all about pace and power and we need to mix that with some technical ability.

Keita is a start but we need another proper centre mid if we seriously want to challenge for titles.

To summarise there are many positives to take from this season and we're heading in the right direction but we still have many weaknesses too which united exposed today. Certain individuals just aren't good enough for this level. The level I'm talking about is winning titles and being able to play in all different type of matches against different teams and against different tactics.

Motm was a tough one but I gave it to bobby. Always plays with his heart on his sleeve and I'd give him the captaincy tomorrow personally.

Bad day at the office for us today. We move on.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,220 posts | 841 
      Reply #592: Mar 10, 2018 07:45:37 pm
      Hate to give Mourinho credit ( believe me I really hate to say anything nice about the c##t) but he won the tactical battle today. Targeted AA and Lovren, and triple teamed Salah and Bobby. I don't think D'Gea had a save to make the whole game.

Hard to take but we go again.

Spot on there.

Maybe with a bit more quality in certain areas we could have gotten away with 3 points today
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,640 posts | 3867 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #593: Mar 10, 2018 07:56:19 pm
      Targeting the left channel was brutally effective.
      2 shots on target.
      2 goals.

Both from Lovren getting bundled out of the way by Lukaku and Rashford burning a scrambling TAA.
      Painful to watch. Should have been rectified after the first, wasn't done until the 2nd.
      Too late by then. Damage done. Complain about penalty shouts all you want, but you can't defend like that.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #594: Mar 10, 2018 07:59:27 pm
      I think we'd still be waiting for a decision knowing VAR.
      gets paused for a few minutes for VAR, I would rather that and come away with something then leave a few minutes earlier with nothing. VAR favours teams that regularly get screwed by referees, we lose about 5-10 points a season through bad refereeing and we don't get the decisions going in our favour to make up for it. United have more to fear about VAR than us, so to me VAR is a no brainer.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #595: Mar 10, 2018 08:42:36 pm
      Targeting the left channel was brutally effective.
      2 shots on target.
      2 goals.

Both from Lovren getting bundled out of the way by Lukaku and Rashford burning a scrambling TAA.
      Painful to watch. Should have been rectified after the first, wasn't done until the 2nd.
      Too late by then. Damage done. Complain about penalty shouts all you want, but you can't defend like that.

Spot on Racer. Frustrating as hell to watch and see the players not helping each other.

Trent looked terrified of Rashford - whether from youth teams or what but seemed to know he had him for pace and was terrified.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,486 posts | 3437 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #596: Mar 10, 2018 08:48:26 pm
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #597: Mar 10, 2018 09:00:58 pm
      First time I’ve seen a ref stop a game because someone has had a kick in the goolies? Suppose it had nothing to do with the fact that we were battering their box at the time 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Quick Reply