Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Loris Karius
      1 (0.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      3 (2%)
      Dejan Lovren
      4 (2.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      17 (11.3%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      83 (55.3%)
      James Milner
      19 (12.7%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      6 (4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (3.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      3 (2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      7 (4.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Voting closed: Apr 08, 2018 09:39:10 pm

Liverpool 3-0 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 40455 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Apr 04, 2018 11:40:20 pm
      Too slow, not mobile enough, shouldn't play.... but never has let us down and always shuts us up.

Even at the end throwing his body into 50/50 tackles to win back possession.
      An absolute pro.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #415: Apr 04, 2018 11:41:13 pm
      Shout out to Milner who I thought set the tone early on.
      Great team performance to a man but gave him MOTM.

ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ

I love James Milner. He's a great player to have in the squad. Intelligent and extremely hard working. Had a great game tonight
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #416: Apr 04, 2018 11:44:39 pm
      What. A. Night.

Honestly don't know where to start with all this. Felt really annoyed and irritated all day, having to wait for this game to start. Had been looking forward to it ever since the tie had been announced. Knew it was going to be an absolute cracker and boy did it not disappoint.

That was as complete a performance as you'll ever see. Clinical, absolutely clinical in front of goal and solid as a rock at the back, giving one of the best attacking teams in the world not a sniff at goal. Brilliant alround, nothing more you can say about it.

I was right about wanting Trent to start as our RB. Knew he'd do well and that he was the one to deal with Sane. Boy did he step up his game. Of course he didn't have to deal with a lot of high balls, but his defending 1 v 1 and his anticipation on City's passes was top notch. Got really annoyed when he was taken out with the one long ball to Sane, but he recovered fairly well.

What I was not right about however, was not wanting Milner anywhere near that starting eleven. Credit where credit is due and I hold my hands up, that was some performance by Milner. Whether it was down to us limiting City in their play or City just not being as good as they usually are, he did really, really well. De Bruyne and Silva were almost completely nullified.

My MOTM however, was Henderson. Given him plenty of stick this season, but that was a captain's performance for me. Constantly shouting, keeping all his teammates on their toes, pressing well, positioning was good, keeping us organised ... Absolutely ran his socks off today. Well in, skipper.

Everyone else of course also deserves a mention: Karius, Robertson, Van Dijk, Lovren, Ox, Salah, Firmino, Mane, Solanke, Wijnaldum and Moreno. No matter how long they were on the pitch, they all played their part.

And to the gaffer: thank you. Thank you so much for another brilliant European night. Tactics absolutely spot on. Both offensively and defensively.

So proud, so f**king proud.
      « Last Edit: Apr 04, 2018 11:49:28 pm by Danzel »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #417: Apr 04, 2018 11:46:27 pm
      I love James Milner. He's a great player to have in the squad. Intelligent and extremely hard working. Had a great game tonight

Work beats talent when talent doesn't work.
      Milner will always give his best.
      Put it up to the City midfield tonight.
      Delighted.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #418: Apr 04, 2018 11:55:49 pm
      It was the perfect result keeping the clean sheet, we our attack we can certainly get a away goal or two in the 2nd leg especially where citeh have to attack, couldn't of worked out any better.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #419: Apr 04, 2018 11:56:44 pm
      What I was not right about however, was not wanting Milner anywhere near that starting eleven.

Honestly, I bet the vast majority of people felt this way or at least not wanting him in midfield. Tbh, next week I don't think I want to see him in midfield because I still worry he will be overrun! Perhaps another game for Milner to show we are idiots if he starts :D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #420: Apr 04, 2018 11:59:04 pm
      I'm feeling like a child right now - I don't want to go to bed because that means this night is over. And I want to enjoy the night, savour the result. I haven't felt this good after a LFC match in a while.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #421: Apr 04, 2018 11:59:58 pm
      It IS only half time though, City are a fantastic team and we should not underestimate them on the 2nd leg. But F**k worrying about that right now, I just want to enjoy it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #422: Apr 05, 2018 12:10:42 am
      This isn’t going to be easy. To be honest, we probably need a 2/3 goal cushion, preferably without them getting an away goal because the 2nd leg will be a lot harder than the 1st. Hopefully we can get into a 3 goal gap like in the league...only hold the 3 goal gap this time.

Go for the throat and kill the tie off in the 1st game like against Porto.

The feeling I have about this round is the same to when we had the Chavs in 05.

Not bad :laugh:

Wasn’t expecting a clean sheet and a good margain win. To be honest, for all their possession, they didn’t threaten Karius at all, they didn’t even get a single shot on target and didn’t cause us any problems at the back, only nervy time was when Sane got through Hendo, Milner and then left Lovren on the deck but that was basically it. Put ourselves in complete control.

Impressed with TAA, after the stick he got for the United game, I thought he handled Sane very well, didn’t look troubled.

Boss!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4413 
      Reply #423: Apr 05, 2018 12:12:49 am
      Just got back from the pub.

That must be our best defensive performance under Klopp with Henderson and Milner putting in immense performances. It was like Gandalf and the "you shall not pass".

Shout out to Trent who hopefully has learnt from his defensive errors and dealt with Sane as well as any full back this season.

VVD marshalling the defence, no way we would not have conceded without him pulling the strings, even making Lovren look like Baresi.

Fingers crossed Salah is ok for next week as the second half showed we are no where near the threat without him.

A complete team performance including the subs, the boss got it spot on tonight.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,482 posts | 3436 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #424: Apr 05, 2018 12:15:30 am
      And relax..until Saturday
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,673 posts | 6967 
      Reply #425: Apr 05, 2018 12:15:43 am
      More proud of the defensive performance than anything else.

Despite bossing the ball they created absolutely nothing against us.

You know I think that's the part that really impressed me too.  I've seen us put in 45+ minutes against teams blowing them away but that second half really reminded me of some of the important games that have seen us go on to win trophies and titles in our glorious past.

Hats off to Lovren.  I still think he's always one game away from a total f**k up but he was brilliant tonight. 

Obviously all of this could unravel just as quickly in the first half next Tuesday but for tonight we have given ourselves a real chance. 

A year ago I doubt any single person reading this would have even contemplated the thought of a European Cup semi final and here we are having given the door to it a massive kick in and having a good look at it.

It's a joyous moment isn't it?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,878 posts | 704 
      Reply #426: Apr 05, 2018 12:29:29 am
      6th home win against them on the spin. It's routine at this stage. What was all that pundit propaganda about them being favorites and us with "no chance" whatsoever, all about?

Would have liked a 5-0, but maybe we'll get it on aggregate instead. Seriously though, great first half display, great well taken goals, and did what we had to do after the break and did it efficiently. I said the defence has improved, and it's primarily down to VVD, who has taken to the role like a duck to water, and just goes about it with the minimum of fuss. No panic, no errors, no lapses in concentration and the defence is now so organised and disciplined, that even opposition like them can just pass a ball around going nowhere.

One of our ex-players who said we had no chance and got it wrong, has since come out and told us to expect a backlash next week. Methinks they'll still be too busy celebrating beating the mancs, to care whether they win the tie or not. As for us, the job is half done, a repeat performance next week and we'll get it completely done.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #427: Apr 05, 2018 12:39:38 am
       ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ  ;D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #428: Apr 05, 2018 12:59:44 am
      Watched it on my phone at work, just got back after a 12 hour shift,, now I'll watch it on LFCtv before sleep.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #429: Apr 05, 2018 01:21:30 am
      Holy ****!!!!!!

That was a professional hit!!!!

Haha, and now you’re gonna believe us!!!!

What a performance. It was so hard to not check the score but I waited till I got home, so glad I did.

Only blemish was that BS yellow on Hendo. Thought he and Milner were exceptional in the first half.

Ok, let’s just do our business at the Emptyhad and maybe we’ll finally get matched with a good team in the Semis.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #430: Apr 05, 2018 01:23:07 am
      Only blemish was that BS yellow on Hendo.

What pissed me off even more was how Sterling got away with a swipe at Hendo.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #431: Apr 05, 2018 01:24:36 am
      Brilliant ....... just brilliant.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #432: Apr 05, 2018 01:34:31 am
      What pissed me off even more was how Sterling got away with a swipe at Hendo.
      Yea I noticed that too. Sterling got his yellow too later on, not that it matters, they will be out after next game anyway.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #433: Apr 05, 2018 01:36:04 am
      What a game!!  I missed chunks of the 2nd half, but didn't see Karius forced to make any big saves.  The whole team played amazing, which is a testament to Jürgen and the coaching staff. 

TAA has had his ups and downs this season, but I feel like the experience he's gained this season will carry him into next year as our 1st choice RB. 

Our all-English engine room was F***ing boss! 

Chambo's goal was a F***ing laser beam!!

Sadio's swagger is back!!

Just hope Mo is alright.....  I think we can manage the 2nd leg without him, but we need him fit for the semifinals. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #434: Apr 05, 2018 01:41:20 am
      What a game!!  I missed chunks of the 2nd half, but didn't see Karius forced to make any big saves.  The whole team played amazing, which is a testament to Jürgen and the coaching staff. 

TAA has had his ups and downs this season, but I feel like the experience he's gained this season will carry him into next year as our 1st choice RB. 

Our all-English engine room was f**king boss! 

Chambo's goal was a f**king laser beam!!

Sadio's swagger is back!!

Just hope Mo is alright.....  I think we can manage the 2nd leg without him, but we need him fit for the semifinals. 

Mo ended up back on the bench and he was smiling. Don't know if we can read anything from that, but surely if it had been really bad he mightn't have been back to the bench at the end? Here's hoping.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #435: Apr 05, 2018 02:02:01 am
      Mo ended up back on the bench and he was smiling. Don't know if we can read anything from that, but surely if it had been really bad he mightn't have been back to the bench at the end? Here's hoping.

Groin injuries are funny.  Could be a matter of just stretching it out and taking the weekend off.  Or it could be a 6-8 week ordeal.  I'm praying to Allah that it's the former 😎
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #436: Apr 05, 2018 02:58:55 am
      f***in buzzin. Cant sleep.
      Anyone else?

3 am and just watched ITV highlights again .

Its going to be some weekend if the wounded animal that is City take it out on the Scum which gives up 2nd place in the table to us.

Just one goal away next week at the Etihad and they are chasing five.

What a position to be in.

All the lads were heroes tonight. Robertson was tireless, Trent pocketed Sane all match and Milner ran himself into the ground.

Bobby worked his socks off up front on the press ..... Virgil smoooothed his way through the game and Karius is exuding confidence now.

All were great ... all of them.

Remember the CL Final comedy film with Rat Boy scurrying around , The Bitters and Ferguson with a bottle wanting to hang himself?
      That is what will be going on over at the Old Toilet this weekend.

Quick Reply