Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who do you want in the semi final?

Roma
      26 (32.9%)
      Real Madrid
      29 (36.7%)
      Bayern Munich
      24 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Voting closed: Apr 13, 2018 10:20:12 pm

UEFA CL Semi Final - Who do you want? (Spoiler, it's AS Roma)

Read 20107 times
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Re: UEFA CL Semi Final - Who do you want?
      Reply #69: Apr 13, 2018 03:05:12 am
      If we get Real Madrid in the Semis, I hope Ronaldo gets an early yellow. That would rule him out of the 2nd leg wouldn't it? Surely he would have got a yellow for taking off his top when celebrating his penalty.

Yellow cards were cleared for the semis mate.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #70: Apr 13, 2018 03:19:25 am
      Yellow cards were cleared for the semis mate.

Crap, didn't know that...so we have a clean sheet as well. Sweet. Thanks Bud.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #71: Apr 13, 2018 06:25:21 am
      Yeah you may have heard, "that rubbish" before but I bet you it happens.

I couldn't give a sh*t who we get, they should be fearing us!

It's not rubbish, I remember a story from Rinat Dassaeyev the ex Russian keeper that when he did the draw it was cold and hot balls and if he pulled a certain team he went for a hot ball. Easily rigged.

Whom do they want in the final, TV wise probably us and Madrid. UEFA hierarchy probably Madrid and Bayern. In any event it wont be Roma versus Liverpool in the Semi. It will be Liverpool v Bayern and Roma v Madrid. That will optimise the outcome for UEFA. Bayern will be the home team in the second leg, I think.

RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #72: Apr 13, 2018 06:37:55 am

You can just tell this is going to be rigged.

UEFA most likely want Real Madrid to win so they will face Roma in the Semis.

UEFA want their dream Final of RM V Bayern but we are going to spoil that party.

So the way I see it, the Semis are going to be

Real Madrid V Roma

Liverpool FC V Bayern Munich

That's gonna be one hell of a tough Semi Final to get through.
      Yeah, I'd like to avoid that too, until the final.

I'm hoping it's Roma however would not really mind if we got Real in the Semis.

Would love to see our Fab 3 tear their defence to shreds.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #73: Apr 13, 2018 06:41:46 am
      It's not rubbish, I remember a story from Rinat Dassaeyev the ex Russian keeper that when he did the draw it was cold and hot balls and if he pulled a certain team he went for a hot ball. Easily rigged.

Whom do they want in the final, TV wise probably us and Madrid. UEFA hierarchy probably Madrid and Bayern. In any event it wont be Roma versus Liverpool in the Semi. It will be Liverpool v Bayern and Roma v Madrid. That will optimise the outcome for UEFA. Bayern will be the home team in the second leg, I think.

I fully agree. There's even footage of Roberto Carlos(?) picking up a ball during a draw and then putting it back in to the bowl and choosing another.
      Now why on earth would he choose another ball? Perhaps it was cold and realised his mistake. Who knows?

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,868 posts | 704 
      Reply #74: Apr 13, 2018 07:30:58 am
      And there's also footage of Lineker preparing to draw the balls out, and saying that they're "all at room temperature".

Quote from AussieRed

Over the years, we're supposed to get Barcelona because of Suarez. Still waiting. This year, we were supposed to get them because of what happened in January. Never happened.

We get these "rigged" allegations before every draw. There are 3 possible opponents. We have to get one, and there's no easy ones at this point.

I just hope it's the second leg at home. We got out of the group phase with the last game at home. We got to the quarter finals with the second leg at home. 3 of the semi finalists qualified with the second leg at home. The last 4 times we got to a European final, we had the second leg of the semi at home. It may not guarantee progress, but you can't deny it's a significant advantage to have the return leg at home in front of our own fans to get the job done.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #75: Apr 13, 2018 07:43:48 am
       I want Bayern in the final.

The other two have already been part of our EC Final collection.Why not widen it by one more club then?

So one of the other two in the semis.

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2018 08:40:46 am by nikos »
      murpies
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 69 posts |
      Reply #76: Apr 13, 2018 08:28:15 am
      Munich
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #77: Apr 13, 2018 09:01:19 am
      Unsure who I'd want, but for me the question, is home or away in the 1st leg.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #78: Apr 13, 2018 09:14:29 am
      There's another interesting stat. Apparently, the last time Roma qualified for a semi was in 1984. ;)

Oh the good old days of the 1980's,Whoever we get they will fear us more than we will fear them.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #79: Apr 13, 2018 09:36:39 am
      Oh the good old days of the 1980's,Whoever we get they will fear us more than we will fear them.

Agree. So the one we're most unwanted to is the answer.
      « Last Edit: Apr 13, 2018 09:49:34 am by nikos »
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #80: Apr 13, 2018 09:42:29 am

Yhy can't they use the damn lottery machines which are independently judged I will never understand.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,653 posts | 3921 
      Reply #81: Apr 13, 2018 09:51:00 am
      Real put on twitter ‘who do you want?’ And most of their fans wanted Liverpool.

They think it’ll be easy, F**k that, we have Klopp who will ensure goals a plenty.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #82: Apr 13, 2018 09:57:13 am

They think it’ll be easy, f**k that, we have Klopp who will ensure goals a plenty.

We’ve not been to this stage in the CL in 10 years the idea Real Madrid will be scared of us is nonsense
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #83: Apr 13, 2018 09:58:23 am

They think it’ll be easy, f**k that, we have Klopp who will ensure goals a plenty.

Just mention RAFA to Real Madrid and they will sh*t themselves.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,491 posts | 1479 
      Reply #84: Apr 13, 2018 10:02:47 am
      We’ve not been to this stage in the CL in 10 years the idea Real Madrid will be scared of us is nonsense
      Maybe mate ,but they will be well aware of what we are capable of.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #85: Apr 13, 2018 10:19:52 am
      So Roma have gone out on a limb here selling tickets to members on their website for the semi return leg against.....Liverpool.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #86: Apr 13, 2018 10:38:43 am

You really are a miserable b***ard aren’t you.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #87: Apr 13, 2018 11:43:06 am
      Just looking at those names in the semi final and I think 'WOW!' That has to be the finest semi final line up in a long long time. The three most successful clubs in Europe from England, Germany and Spain. And while Roma may live in the shadows of Juventus, AC Milan and Inter when it comes to trophies won, to me, they are still very much equal to those teams in prestige and grandiosity with a passion that surpasses all of them (especially Juventus). Maybe that comes down to our own history with them but when you see that result and that atmosphere in Rome on Tuesday night it strengthens your belief that Roma have just that little extra something that the others in Italy don't have. It's going to be a great semi final lineup whichever way the teams are drawn.

Haha I think that is completely over the top about Roma. They don't live in the shadows of Juve, Milan and Inter in terms of trophies won, really, they live in the shadows of Genoa, Torino and Pro Vercelli... Roma are not very successful at all, like Lazio they're only considered a big club because they are from Rome and are usually there and thereabouts near the top of the league, but never quite there winning it.

Roma has only 3 league titles and finished FOURTEEN times as runners up. I genuinely don't know of any club with a similar rate of success / near success. As a friend of mine once described them, they're totally anti-clutch. Serial bottlers. Hardly ever do anything of note in Europe despite being constantly in the competition. Got spanked by 7 goals more than once just in recent memory.

What they did against Barcelona was so incredible *precisely* because it was so out of character for Roma, not because they're some illustrious glorious club which they really, really are not. They had a good period in the 80s when they won the league (*once*) and then made it to the European Cup final, but then again so did Sampdoria just a little bit later and they're not a special club either.

By the way Roma plays in a 70k stadium and has an average attendance of about 37k.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #88: Apr 13, 2018 11:46:38 am

Hopefully you are right and they are in for a very nasty surprise, but in all reality with the form we are in and the way we are destroying all teams they bloody well should be scared of us, they all should.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #89: Apr 13, 2018 11:49:53 am
      I just noticed this is only the 2nd time Roma have reached the semifinal stage of the European Cup / Champions League. Hilariously, that's the same number as Arsenal, who qualified to the competition about 20 years in a row :D

Harrisimo

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #90: Apr 13, 2018 11:51:48 am
      I'm going with Roma. They are 4th in Serie a. Only scoring 50 league goals. Yes they turned it around against Barca but that was a freak result. They are the weakest of the other three. Albeit not by much, but they would give us a better chance to get to the final.
      Harrisimo

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #91: Apr 13, 2018 11:53:54 am
      I just noticed this is only the 2nd time Roma have reached the semifinal stage of the European Cup / Champions League. Hilariously, that's the same number as Arsenal, who qualified to the competition about 20 years in a row :D

Wenger and Fergie would've been sacked at Barca or Real with their relatively poor record in the C/L.

Quick Reply