Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Gerrard new Rangers manager. (Edited)

Read 22926 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,037 posts | 3963 
      Re: Gerrard linked with Rangers job
      Reply #92: May 04, 2018 09:40:44 am
      Wonder how Mr Dalglish truly feels about the possibility?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #93: May 04, 2018 09:45:06 am
      I wonder if the universal ‘what are you thinking!’ Will impact his decision at all
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #94: May 04, 2018 09:47:42 am
      Why Stevie?

Oh why?
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #95: May 04, 2018 09:57:08 am
      Coming from someone who doesn't give a flying f**k about Rangers or Celtic or religion and whichever made up gods they disagree on I can only wish him well

Nothing to do with religion for me. A lot to do with politics though.

The good news is Celtic will walk the league no matter who is over those lot.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #96: May 04, 2018 10:09:13 am
      As a fierce competitor I'm not surprised he's decided to jump at this. He's got the bug and wants to test himself. Could potentially end up in Europe, which would be a huge learning curve and something he won't get managing in the Championship or lower.

Good luck Stevie.
      Kopite78
      Reply #97: May 04, 2018 10:20:18 am
      Nothing to do with religion for me. A lot to do with politics though.

The good news is Celtic will walk the league no matter who is over those lot.

Probably

However I hope he wins the lot with them

I'm sure he'll be fine.. he was a boyhood Rangers fan

He will understand

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,228 posts | 846 
      Reply #98: May 04, 2018 10:20:52 am
      Best of luck to him to be honest

I hope he does really well :)
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #99: May 04, 2018 10:23:19 am
      I'll always love Stevie, hate Rangers and their horrible fans though.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #100: May 04, 2018 10:27:34 am
      Coming from a family of Celtic supporters I can only hope he fails miserably.

My wife is not happy.

She’s adopted LFC through me over 20 years and is taking this as a personal slight ;)

I just hope he does understand the extremism amongst sizeable elements of that Rangers support. It’s very unhealthy.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,474 posts | 4594 
      Reply #101: May 04, 2018 10:59:33 am
      Credit for taking on a huge task,I hope he can have a positive impact on the club, especially the supporters...I have to say I have a soft spot for Celtic and wish Celtic all the success that comes their way even at the expense of the ex skipper.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,420 posts | 6419 
      Reply #102: May 04, 2018 11:13:37 am
      Coming from someone who doesn't give a flying f**k about Rangers or Celtic or religion and whichever made up gods they disagree on I can only wish him well

Coming from someone who bases his entire life, moral code and value system on a made up God, I can only wish him well too ;D
      Kopite78
      Reply #103: May 04, 2018 11:20:02 am
      Coming from someone who bases his entire life, moral code and value system on a made up God, I can only wish him well too ;D

😀 sorry about that

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Reply #104: May 04, 2018 11:53:48 am
      Vaguely remember when I was a kid there used to be some kind of association on Merseyside as Everton being the Catholic club and Liverpool the proddy club.  And Everton had Celtic half and half scarves and there were Liverpool Rangers scarves.

Anyway, if that was ever the case it certainly isn't now.   Apart from vague recollections as a kid I've never heard anyone mention it as important since.

Was aware that plenty of Rangers fans referred to Gerrard as slippy G and all that kind of thing and as a sweeping statement I'd probably say they don't deserve him.

Gut feeling is he on a hiding to nothing.  Some people saying he'll do okay because nobody's expecting him to compete seriously with Celtic but their fans won't think that.  Look at Everton fans last summer when they held the Merseyside transfer record for about 5 days.  Totally lost touch with reality.

Add to that the fact they aren't 50 points behind Celtic.  They're 13 points.  There is exceptionally little margin for errors or slow starts - their team is already winning 60+% of their games so he's going to have to do better than that from day 0.

Not really massively bothered either way who wins up there in that league, I've got no family connections and I consider it a bit of a joke league.  Not convinced that every team in that league would do well in our League Two.

On that basis I wish him all the best.  All I know is that three of our most successful managers, Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish didn't need a warm up act and 'big success at Rangers' Graeme Souness contributed to our decline.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #105: May 04, 2018 01:03:06 pm
      Gerrard has earnt the right to do whatever he pleases. Two decades in association with Liverpool will come to an end which is the saddest thing about this but he's embarking on a new chapter in his footballing career but I know he does so with an intent to return to this club at some point further down the line. It's such a risky career move at a club that is, as has been mentioned on here, an absolute basket case at the moment! Some will say he's naive and immature at this stage (one year with the U18s is no preparation for 99% of managerial jobs out there) but equally it's a sign of his ambition and drive that despite all their problems he still sees his ambition as bigger than anything that stands in his way. So I suppose it's in keeping with his character.

I really hope he defies all expectation and does a really really great job. Not for Rangers but for himself and himself only. He certainly deserves it and I will back him and support him all the way on this.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #106: May 04, 2018 01:35:08 pm

Didn't he have Rangers' posters on his wall, as a boy, when Celtic came calling?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #107: May 04, 2018 02:09:02 pm
      Quote from Harrisimo
      But on the other hand picking a club like Ipswitch or similar could equally destroy his credibility very quickly. Rangers doesn't come without problems but on the field they are making progress. He won't get it in the neck if he finishes 2nd to Celtic. A good cup run will be expected but he will have time to develope his style and his methods. With Gary Mac he can learn quickly without that much pressure.

A Championship club with Gerrard as No.1 will demand at least the play off's. To much pressure so early on in his development. Rangers is a good starting point. Gary Sniv made totally the wrong choice. The Rangers job is not ideal but it could be a wise move.

No it's not a wise move, it's desperation. And you would expect better than that from him. And if you're waiting on promises from Mike Ashley, then hehe, you'll be waiting.

The whole point of Rangers is to beat Celtic. (and the same vice versa) They're not going to beat Celtic, and if he's not going to do that, like Frankly says, he's not going to have the time to do the job. Instead he'll be dismissed by their fanbase as a no experience numpty, and fired by Christmas. They're already questioning him up there and he hasn't been appointed yet. So wait til he drops points to teams such as Partick and Kilmarnock.

When Dalglish took the Celtic job, he was gone in no time because they couldn't compete with Rangers. And that was a man with years of experience at the highest level and medals to show for it. Here, Stevie has the chance to be part of a European Cup winning club in a couple of weeks, while going about his own job quietly, with the time to learn the ropes, put his own stamp on the team and no pressure to get results yesterday. I have no problem with his ambition, but why would he swap it for that pressure cooker? Him taking that gig, at this time, just doesn't make any sense.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #108: May 04, 2018 02:14:53 pm
      My wife is not happy.

She’s adopted LFC through me over 20 years and is taking this as a personal slight ;)

I just hope he does understand the extremism amongst sizeable elements of that Rangers support. It’s very unhealthy.

It is extremely unhealthy. Unless your name is Ally McCoist or Walter Smith they've dismissed everyone that has come after them just because they're not 'good Rangers men'. To many of them, the Ibrox groundsman would be a better fit for the manager's job ahead of even Klopp and Guardiola. Football is naturally a tribal sport but Rangers fans (as well as Celtic in all honesty) take tribalism to once unknown levels.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #109: May 04, 2018 02:24:15 pm
      Personally think Stevie's mental taking this as his first proper management role, but you can't say he doesn't have some bottle...
      Harrisimo

• 8,391 posts | 1422 
      Reply #110: May 04, 2018 02:37:30 pm
      No it's not a wise move, it's desperation. And you would expect better than that from him. And if you're waiting on promises from Mike Ashley, then hehe, you'll be waiting.

The whole point of Rangers is to beat Celtic. (and the same vice versa) They're not going to beat Celtic, and if he's not going to do that, like Frankly says, he's not going to have the time to do the job. Instead he'll be dismissed by their fanbase as a no experience numpty, and fired by Christmas. They're already questioning him up there and he hasn't been appointed yet. So wait til he drops points to teams such as Partick and Kilmarnock.

When Dalglish took the Celtic job, he was gone in no time because they couldn't compete with Rangers. And that was a man with years of experience at the highest level and medals to show for it. Here, Stevie has the chance to be part of a European Cup winning club in a couple of weeks, while going about his own job quietly, with the time to learn the ropes, put his own stamp on the team and no pressure to get results yesterday. I have no problem with his ambition, but why would he swap it for that pressure cooker? Him taking that gig, at this time, just doesn't make any sense.

But isn't that a tad insulting to Gerrard. He has said talks have been positive. I'm sure he is well aware of the task in hand. He won't be sacked by Christmas. You seem to have a low opinion of his judgement. I mean it's not without problems but it's hardly desperation. He might decide not to take it but he's definitely not desperate.

Job has the added extra in that he will get European experience. Take a lot of bottle to go into the Glasgow cauldron, the old firm games etc. The thought of losing to a lower league team is hardly going to prevent him from taking the job. Gerrard is not short of guts or character.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,726 posts | 3739 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #111: May 04, 2018 02:49:08 pm
      Good luck Gerrard, work hard to succeed because if you do, your next stop will be with us!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #112: May 04, 2018 03:26:15 pm
      Pity. Hope you fail miserably there Stevie. Rotten club with rotten fans.

All of us?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #113: May 04, 2018 03:27:40 pm
      Think theres a rangers/chelsea link not sure about a rangers/liverpool one though.

Always preferred Celtic of the two clubs and probably still do.

Probably find a bit more class to the rivalry now with Stevie and Brendan being in charge and who both fully respect each other.

Good luck to him anyway. Nobody can accuse him of shirking a challenge with this one.

Rodgers holds all the cards here, but Gerrard has played under some top managers and some not ao great ones.

I'm at least interested to see what his brand of football will look like. If its possible to stamp an identity on the current Rangers team that is.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #114: May 04, 2018 03:31:04 pm
      Probably

However I hope he wins the lot with them

I'm sure he'll be fine.. he was a boyhood Rangers fan

He will understand

Also took a front office position with Rangers briefly in 1996.

Quick Reply