Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 19th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W7 D2 L0

Nabil Fekir (Lyon)

Read 171299 times
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Re: Nabil Fekir (Lyon)
      Reply #598: Jun 10, 2018 04:00:14 pm
      I think this depends on what the medical records and the medical itself picked up on this Knee problem. I know it was 3 years ago he had this knee injury but it does sound like the Loic Remy thing. There was talk that Demba ba was one knock away from a career ending knee injury. I'm not a doctor but if Fekir does have a problematic knee then maybe we've dodged a bullet. Disappointing though it may be it may well be for the best.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,494 posts | 3442 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #600: Jun 10, 2018 04:33:43 pm
      Even by the standards of the FSG era, this is a deeply disappointing but entirely predictable turn of events.

Really hope this deal isn't dead, would be so good for just one summer where we aren't a Liverpool manager having to make do with inferior 'alternatives'

Guruji
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 55 
      Reply #601: Jun 10, 2018 04:41:03 pm
      The argument that Fekir has played 32 & 29 league games across the past two seasons, and is therefore less exposed to being injury prone in the future, is far too simplistic.

Even Daniel Sturridge managed 30 league games in 2011/12 and a further 29 league appearances in the nearly season. Sturridge turned 25 at the beginning of 2014/15, and hasn't managed more than 20 league apps in a season since. Fekir turns 25 next month.

Not comparing the Fekir and Studge injuries because I don't have the medical knowledge to do so, but clearly it shows that prior league appearances cannot add any weight to the argument that Fekir would play many games for us once signed.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,502 posts | 4841 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #602: Jun 10, 2018 04:47:12 pm
      Still don’t think it’s medical related. We signed Ox who’s had a lot of problems, over the last 2 seasons Fekir has missed 10 games. That’s less than Lemar, Coutinho, Lovren, Hendo and Lallana etc. If there were really problems then he’d have missed more games IMO.

Makes me wonder why Klopp appears to be certain Lallana has a future with us given his injury record, same with Hendo. Another reason why the medical things just doesn’t sit right with me, why let a possible scenario stop you signing a player when his injury record is far better than players that Klopp sees as important to us.

You can sign any player and he could break his leg in his first game, just the same level of risk with Fekir IMO.

We’ve also not released a statement. When we ended interest in VVD we done a statement, same with Keita. All the talk is actually coming from Lyon, it’s just Aulas playing games IMO. Someone who’s had the surgery he’s had would have had a flare up or something by now, especially in the amount of games he has played since.

I'm with you on this. For us to leak it to the usual journos, do the interview, etc, etc it must have all been practically done until somebody threw a massive spanner in the works. This got very, very far, along so it can only  have been stopped by somebody who has power and was involved in the negotiations.

All the noise is from Lyon.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,408 posts | 6411 
      Reply #603: Jun 10, 2018 04:55:29 pm
      The argument that Fekir has played 32 & 29 league games across the past two seasons, and is therefore less exposed to being injury prone in the future, is far too simplistic.

Even Daniel Sturridge managed 30 league games in 2011/12 and a further 29 league appearances in the nearly season. Sturridge turned 25 at the beginning of 2014/15, and hasn't managed more than 20 league apps in a season since. Fekir turns 25 next month.

Not comparing the Fekir and Studge injuries because I don't have the medical knowledge to do so, but clearly it shows that prior league appearances cannot add any weight to the argument that Fekir would play many games for us once signed.

So if you can’t use prior league appearances to add weight to a player being fit then you can’t use anything to add weight, which means we may as well just not sign anyone because well they might get injured. There’s just no way to know.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,494 posts | 3442 
      Reply #604: Jun 10, 2018 05:02:10 pm
      Even by the standards of the FSG era, this is a deeply disappointing but entirely predictable turn of events.

Really hope this deal isn't dead, would be so good for just one summer where we aren't a Liverpool manager having to make do with inferior 'alternatives'

Nothing whatsoever to do with FSG that someone's medical is an issue.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,494 posts | 3442 
      Reply #605: Jun 10, 2018 05:03:50 pm
      Good to see the tin foil hasn't been put away for the summer
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #606: Jun 10, 2018 05:10:27 pm
      Nothing whatsoever to do with FSG that someone's medical is an issue.

Targeted a well with a well known ACL injury, then looking for a discount off a notoriously tough negotiator because of it.

It's not John Henry's fault but it's another in a long line of transfer fiascos under their watch.

Another in a long line of 'alternatives' to to follow.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,494 posts | 3442 
      Reply #607: Jun 10, 2018 05:32:03 pm
      Targeted a well with a well known ACL injury, then looking for a discount off a notoriously tough negotiator because of it.

It's not John Henry's fault but it's another in a long line of transfer fiascos under their watch.

Another in a long line of 'alternatives' to to follow.

There is no evidence to suggest we looked to get a discount though, as for alternatives salah wasn't bad was he ? People need to calm down, it's june 10, still 2 months  of the transfer window left. People talking about not signing fekir but having players with injury issues are totally missing the point. Niggling muscle injuries are one thing and the likes of henderson and lallana's injuries have come well into their careers with us but comparing to major knee injuries are ridiculous.  Always looking for things to pull apart, sometime things happen that you can't control
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,224 posts | 844 
      Reply #608: Jun 10, 2018 05:53:54 pm
      1. We agreed terms and fees
      2. Fekir had his medical and 2nd opinion
      3. LFC medical staff and physicians looked at the Knee scans and did not like what they saw. Passing a fitness assessment is different than assessing a future injury problem.
      4. LFC decided not to risk it because he may or may not be injury prone in the future decided to pull the plug.

It's not that hard folks
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #609: Jun 10, 2018 06:00:41 pm
      3. LFC medical staff and physicians looked at the Knee scans and did not like what they saw. Passing a fitness assessment is different than assessing a future injury problem.
      4. LFC decided not to risk it because he may or may not be injury prone in the future decided to pull the plug.

It's not that hard folks

Well it is that hard because not even Lyon, who released a statement saying he will be staying have stated the reasons why. Seeing as Lyon have been far from shy going public over every little thing so far about this, it’s strange they’ve failed to state the reasons why. If it was us who pulled the plug on it or tried changing the deal then I have no doubts they’d have said this is the case in order to try and make us look bad and turn Fekir against ever wanting a move to us. Aulas had no qualms about slating Chelsea over Essien, so IMO he’s the one who’s pulled the plug on this. Think we are just keeping a dignified silence for after the World Cup.
      « Last Edit: Jun 10, 2018 06:05:46 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,462 posts | 2854 
      Reply #610: Jun 10, 2018 06:05:00 pm
      Well it is that hard because not even Lyon, who released a statement saying he will be staying have stated the reasons why. Seeing as Lyon have been far from shy going public over every little thing so far about this, it’s strange they’ve failed to state the reasons why. If it was us who pulled the plug on it or tried changing the deal then I hve no doubts they’d have said this is the case in order to try and make us look bad and turn Fekir against ever waning a move to us.

Why would they want to publicly state Fekir's knee is fu**ed?

His value would go through the floor.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #611: Jun 10, 2018 06:06:42 pm
      Why would they want to publicly state Fekir's knee is fu**ed?

His value would go through the floor.

They’d have twisted it one way or another, would have said it was us who cancelled the deal.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #612: Jun 10, 2018 06:09:28 pm
      Perhaps we are never going to know the real news or the fake news.

As has been said ..... "all the noise is coming from Lyon".
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #613: Jun 10, 2018 06:12:29 pm
      Surely once you've agreed a fee and it's gone as far as the player taking a medical and doing interviews at his new club, the selling club can't back out?

They'd be open to all kinds of court action surely?

Can't see it being Lyon re negotiating the fee personally.

I suppose my shortest answer (and the honest one) is I don't really know.
       I don't know who to believe.
      I don't know why there was so much public buzz (both from ITK types and established journos) at each step of the process. Doesn't seem like a good way to conduct business - or maybe it is, depending on which club you support.
      I don't know how he has issues with his medical but then comes on as a sub the next day and changes the match.
      I don't even know if it's really dead or if it might get revived before the window closes. At least there is still time.

Of course it's good to pull out if he is a long-term injury waiting to happen, but it certainly appeared the club was willing to pony up on the surface.

Like I said, I really don't know.
      « Last Edit: Jun 10, 2018 07:25:05 pm by Robby The Z »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #614: Jun 10, 2018 06:15:44 pm
      Don’t understand why Lyon posted the announcement online, deleted it and then reposted it about 15minutes later.

Just doesn’t seem like it’s as clear cut as some would like to make out.
      newguy
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #615: Jun 10, 2018 06:22:08 pm
      I am pretty gutted about the Fekir deal going sour, but i support Liverpool's decision 100%, made the right choice to renegotiate/walk out if reports of a dodgy knee are true.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,789 posts | 892 
      Reply #616: Jun 10, 2018 06:25:56 pm

It's not that hard folks

The general consensus (based on rumour - true or false?) is that 1-3 of your list has happened. Even going so far as completing LFC interview, and photos etc all done.

However, rather than point 4, there is a reported claim about LFC renegotiating the deal. This is possible. It makes sense.

Now, this is not to say Liverpool tried to hardball a cut in the fee as has been claimed. However, the key word I have seen mention is a restructure to the deal. Given that the fee these days is based on several factors, and many ways of committing to a fee, I suspect if anything, it would be more to do with the breakdown (restructure) of the fee.

Say, originally the fee is £50m total which could be based on £30m upfront, £10m based on CL performances, and £10m based on PL performances over 2 years. Then LFC say, due to the knee, we will go £20m upfront, with a split of £20m on X number of PL performances...

Ignore the figures like, but hope you get the idea. It would make sense to renegotiate the deal along those lines if there was a doubt over his future fitness.

Ultimately, it does sound like it is Lyon who threw their toys out of the pram and are portraying this as a moral win for the club. "the player will be with us for the new campaign etc. etc". None of which means anything at this stage, and I believe Fekir will join soon.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,395 posts | 8632 
      Reply #617: Jun 10, 2018 06:30:43 pm
      Personal opinion is that Lyon are trying to screw us for a few more quid.

After all we did once sign Andy Carroll when he was still on crutches!!
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #618: Jun 10, 2018 06:45:40 pm
      Personal opinion is that Lyon are trying to screw us for a few more quid.

After all we did once sign Andy Carroll when he was still on crutches!!

Yes I believe this is so. Make someone commit to a price. That would be your base selling price going into the world cup. If he has a good campaign, there would be upside. Otherwise they could still lock in a deal at the base price. It's like buying downside insurance with unlimited upside. It's not hard to believe so.

Wonder why some rather believe we screwed up again?
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #619: Jun 10, 2018 06:59:13 pm
      https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/1005858397818933248

We're definitely moving on!! And knowing Klopp, dont think we'll go back in for Lemar, Gotze, Draxler or Brandt.. although I would love either of the last 2! Both Draxler and Brandt can play as part of the front-3 as well as in midfield through the middle.

Back to the drawing board I guess. Good thing is we got time.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #620: Jun 10, 2018 07:15:27 pm
      Surely once you've agreed a fee and it's gone as far as the player taking a medical and doing interviews at his new club, the selling club can't back out?

They'd be open to all kinds of court action surely?

Can't see it being Lyon re negotiating the fee personally.

Sorry, I misread this. The Echo said we pulled out after the medical and didn't say anything other than don't expect an announcement. Then Lyon tried to re-open negotiations but we weren't interested.

As I said before, what actually happened? I have no idea.

Quick Reply