Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Alisson
      1 (1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1%)
      Joe Gomez
      4 (3.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      70 (68.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      11 (10.8%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      6 (5.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1%)
      Sadio Mane
      8 (7.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Voting closed: Nov 07, 2018 07:22:49 pm

Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27297 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Nov 03, 2018 07:31:04 pm
      Thought TAA was terrible, beaten so many times. Also need to watch the Arsenal goal again later, but I thought it could have been avoided if TAA didn't stand still to call for an offside, should have instead closed Lacazatte down and maybe we wouldn't have conceded.

Fabinho was poor too, but it was a good lesson for him, and maybe he will be more up to scratch if called upon for future games.

VVD was immense and MOTM for me, Milner was close but faded away after the his goal.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #438: Nov 03, 2018 07:31:11 pm
      Another goal given up after the 80th minute. Really need to learn how to shut down the shop and kill off the game. As has often been the case late in games we need better from Alisson
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,520 posts | 1509 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #439: Nov 03, 2018 07:31:27 pm
      Thought that was a pretty good result, to be honest. Arsenal away and a point.

They've just recently won 9 games in a row and drew the last one. They were flying with confidence. Another day another decision and we win it.

Also don't blame Alisson for the goal either. Defenders didn't react; if Alisson stays back Lacazette is in space in the 18 yard area with a shot on.

We've played Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea away and City at home too. Unbeaten
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #440: Nov 03, 2018 07:31:38 pm
      The was little creation in the middle tonight
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,185 posts | 1099 
      Reply #441: Nov 03, 2018 07:32:05 pm
      I wanna see a back 4 of Gomez Lovern VVD and Robbo for a while. Trent is going through some serious growing pains
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #442: Nov 03, 2018 07:32:53 pm
      Fabinho looked like he just ran out of gas in that second half.
      Clearly still not ready for 90mins if high intensity football.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #443: Nov 03, 2018 07:33:22 pm
      It's because we didn't have our world's best center back.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #444: Nov 03, 2018 07:33:24 pm
      Another goal given up after the 80th minute. Really need to learn how to shut down the shop and kill off the game. As has often been the case late in games we need better from Alisson

You really do have a problem with Alisson, don't you? It's rather embarrassing. Sorry he isn't as good as your Karius. Alisson played well, he did what he could for the Lacazette goal, it was just poor from the players around him.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #445: Nov 03, 2018 07:34:18 pm
      That Mane goal should have stood, and it is one of the areas where VAR is sorely missed.

Virgil Van Dijk had a monster game, and Joe Gomez was not far off. Those two would have to be in the running for man of the match and it shows just how much the team was on the back foot.

Midfield is still a concern. This is also that one game where pressure really told when it came to possession: Arsenal backing themselves to build from the back and beat the press while LFC played it long when pressure told. We might also not mention it a lot on here, but in Torreira and Leno they got two really good players for less than what they are worth.

This is hardly a bad result considering Arsenal's run and that this was an away game. Onto the next game.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #446: Nov 03, 2018 07:34:48 pm
      I wanna see a back 4 of Gomez Lovern VVD and Robbo for a while. Trent is going through some serious growing pains

I would consider Clyne now. TAA needs a few games on the bench imo.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      Reply #447: Nov 03, 2018 07:35:15 pm
      Thought at first it was the keepers fault but on seeing the replay I think he did the right thing
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Re: Live: Arsenal V Liverpool
      Reply #448: Nov 03, 2018 07:35:44 pm
      1 point it is then. Still feel robbed with the dissallowed goal. Trent had s mare, should have taken him off for Matip half time and put joe at right back. Fabinho not great, not sure what the options were though, bob misfiring, apart from the goal, Millie limited as was Gini.
      We were over run in the middle of the park and never really had control for more than a few short spells. We certainly ain’t pressing like we have, and don’t cope too well when teams do it to us.
      When we did get the ball we didn’t have a lot of clear options what to do with it.
      Thought we would win this, and not sure if we had a poor game, or Arse made us have a poor game.
      A point ain’t too bad and not many sides will go there and win if they keep playing like today.
      Unfortunately City already have.
      Not sure who to go with motm, joe or VVD. They certainly kept us in it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #449: Nov 03, 2018 07:36:37 pm
      I think it was clear right from the start that they were going to get a goal today, it just seems so much worse when it’s after we take the lead and inside the last 10mins.
      Can’t deny they were the better team, we struggled to deal with their pressing, they move the ball better and they looked a lot more threatening than us.
      Having said that, when you are 1-0 up, have hit the post and a goal not stand, it’s hard to not feel hard done by.
      Ultimately it’s games against the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea that will probably be what sets us and City apart. City have already swept aside Arsenal this season and I have no doubts they will do the same to Chelsea too. We may be unbeaten vs Spurs, City, Chelsea and Arsenal but we’ve only managed the one win, City have so far failed to only beat us in the so called big games. But on the flip side, we’ve got the reverse fixtures to come and time to right the wrongs but this is the second game running that it feels we have thrown away points at Arsenal.

Van Dijk and Gomez were boss though, but on the whole, I think we’ve all come to expect a better performance than that.

Feels like points thrown away but at the same time we were lucky to come away with a point.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #450: Nov 03, 2018 07:36:40 pm
      Fabinho looked like he just ran out of gas in that second half.
      Clearly still not ready for 90mins if high intensity football.

He wasn't good even before that.
      Just not quick enough over 5 yards, from standing.
      His lack of pace was shown clearly.
      He can go some way towards correcting that weakness with better positioning, but that'll take time.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #451: Nov 03, 2018 07:37:48 pm
      It's amazing how we always rate players, but never discuss the manager. I thought starting lineup was spot on, but Fabinho and Trent didn't perform. Nothing we could have done about Trent but not dealing with Fabinho cost us. The subs Klopp made felt trivial. Personally I would have dropped Gini deeper and took off Fabinho and let Lallana go into the centre. I'm aware Lallana isn't exactly great as he has been but Keita and Henderson aren't available.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      Reply #452: Nov 03, 2018 07:39:20 pm
      1 point it is then. Still feel robbed with the disssllowed goal. Trent had s matte, should have taken him off for Matip half time and put joe at right back. Fabinho not great, not sure what the options were though, bob misfiring, apart from the goal, Millie limited as was Gini.
      We were over run in the middle of the park and never really had control for more than a few short spells. We certainly ain’t pressing like we have, and don’t cope too well when teams do it to us.
      When we did get the bell we didn’t have a lot of clear options what to do with it.
      Thought we would win this, and not sure if we had a poor game, or Arse made us have a poor game.
      A point ain’t too bad and not many sides will go there and win if they keep playing like today.
      Unfortunately City already have.
      Not sure who to go with motm, joe or VVD. They certainly kept us in it.

To many players went missing, Trent Gino Fab and Bobby but that said we still come away with  a draw
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,185 posts | 1099 
      Reply #453: Nov 03, 2018 07:40:25 pm
      To win the league we have to be so lucky!!!! We also have to be good. We aren’t as good as City in a 38 game season, we just aren’t. We can beat anyone on any day, but even with the upgrades to our squad it doesn’t compare to City’s.

But, today was a good result. If we can keep up this form and allow ourselves to stay within striking distance than who knows. Maybe they have an unlucky spell or some key injuries. City are gonna have to lose the league, but we have to be there to take it. Games like this are gonna be key. Staying unbeaten against the top and beating the teams outside the top 6 will give us a shot.

After not winning the league for so long I think that’s all we can ask for at the moment
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #454: Nov 03, 2018 07:40:26 pm
      It's amazing how we always rate players, but never discuss the manager. I thought starting lineup was spot on, but Fabinho and Trent didn't perform. Nothing we could have done about Trent but not dealing with Fabinho cost us. The subs Klopp made felt trivial. Personally I would have dropped Gini deeper and took off Fabinho and let Lallana go into the centre. I'm aware Lallana isn't exactly great as he has been but Keita and Henderson aren't available.

:roll:
      Here we go.

A new agenda to try and be "controversial".

When you have been at Melwood all week (it's OK, you can google it) and have all the information Klopp has, maybe you can make a point about subs etc, but as you don't it's all just guesswork to try and be a WUM, as your "Klopp is a noob" post clearly shows.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #455: Nov 03, 2018 07:40:43 pm

I thought we could have done with Hendo or  Keita coming on for Fab today, but he didn't have that option, and I agree, Lallana should have come on as he is the closest player we have to a midfielder on the bench.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #456: Nov 03, 2018 07:40:55 pm
      Good game, even though our performance was a bit mixed. We were better 2nd half than first anyway, but we can't really complain too much about a draw. Arsenal played well. don't think City will find that an easy game either, so a point is ok.

Biggest plus is that we defended well ( despite a few shaky moments from TAA). Pre-2018 we'd have shipped more than 1 goal with the amount of good possession Arsenal had. MOTM was VVD - individually played well, but also organised that high line that kept catching them offside. Cracking CB. Gomez, Alisson and Robbo also good. Mane had very good 2nd half, after being quiet in the first. Mo was pretty lively throughout I thought, bit unlucky with his final ball a couple of times. Fabinho had a decent game.

My one real question is about whether our press has its usual intensity right now. Looks like we aren't quite rushing teams into mistakes like usual. I think Bobby is not quite at it, compared with past seasons. We just aren't defending from the front quite as strongly - hence Arsenal getting a lot of possession. Noticed it a few games already this season. Our stronger defending is making up for it, but it's a slight concern.

Anyway, the point is ok, and about right based on the performance ( even though we did have the better chances). That'll be one of the toughest games we have this season.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,291 posts | 237 
      Reply #457: Nov 03, 2018 07:41:19 pm
      Arsenal first game against city is complete different test like today. city was lucky with draw
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #458: Nov 03, 2018 07:42:36 pm
      You really do have a problem with Alisson, don't you? It's rather embarrassing. Sorry he isn't as good as your Karius. Alisson played well, he did what he could for the Lacazette goal, it was just poor from the players around him.

It was a fine strike by Lacazette too. One of our lads done that and he wouldn’t be questioning the keeper, he’d be saying what a good goal it was. Excellent technique from Lacazette with plenty of pace and spin. Unfortunately, but sometimes you just know as soon as it strikes the boot that it’s a goal. 99% of the time, the danger is gone in that situation. Nothing Alisson could have done better there.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #459: Nov 03, 2018 07:42:53 pm
      If he was going to pull of Fabinho, then the better decision would have been for Shaqiri to come in. Much more of a goal threat, and that is something that this team has been missing.

Quick Reply